Assassins and Apocalyptic Wastelands Get Nod for Writers Guild Award

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Assassins and Apocalyptic Wastelands Get Nod for Writers Guild Award

The Writers Guild of America has announced its six picks for the best videogame writing of 2010.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Fallout: New Vegas top the nominations list for the videogame writing portion of the upcoming Writers Guild of America's 2011 Awards. Previous winners have included the likes of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves.

Unfortunately, not every game is eligible for the award, no matter how well written they might be. In order to qualify for this year's awards, the game had to have come out between December 1st 2009 and November 30th 2010, and have a separate writing credit. That writer must also have joined the WGA, or have applied to join, by the time the script was submitted for consideration.

Of course, it's not entirely surprisingly that the WGA isn't tripping over itself to include non-members in its awards ceremony, especially not when it makes no secret of the fact that it hopes to drum up more members from the videogame industry.

Plenty of games do qualify though, and the nominations for the award are:

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    Story by Patrice Desilets, Jeffrey Yohalem, Corey May
    Lead Script Writer: Jeffrey Yohalem
    Script Writers: Ethan Petty, Nicholas Grimwood, Matt Turner;
    Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Fallout: New Vegas
    Creative Design Lead/Lead Writer: John Gonzalez; Writers: Chris Avellone, Eric Fenstermaker, Travis Stout
    Additional Writing: Tess Treadwell, George Ziets, Jason Bergman, Nick Breckon, Matt Grandstaff, Will Noble, Andrew Scharf;
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
  • God of War 3
    Written by Marianne Krawcyzk
    Additional Writing by Stig Asmussen, Ariel Lawrence, William Weissbaum
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Wii)
    Writer: Benjamin McCaw; Story Dialogue Editor: Marianne Krawczyk
  • Singularity
    Written by Marc Guggenheim, Lindsey Allen, Emily Silver
    Additional Story and Writing: Jason Henderson, Adam Foshko, Michael Cassutt
    Story and Script Consultant: Adam Foshko
    Publisher: Activision
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
    Executive Producer-Writer: Haden Blackman
    In-Game Script: David Collins, John Stafford, Cameron Suey
    Additional Writing: Tid Cooney, Ian Dominguez, Tony Rowe
    Publisher: LucasArts

The awards will actually have two ceremonies: one in Los Angeles for WGA West members, and one in New York for WGA East members. Both ceremonies will take place simultaneously, with the folks in New York presumably in for quite a late night. The ceremonies take place on Saturday, February 5th.

Source: 1up

The fact that the Force Unleashed 2 is on here for best writing makes this list completely bullshit. Is this thing sponsored by LucasArts or something?

I guess Bioware doesn't have any writters on staff that are part of the WGA. And if they do, wtf, you cannot tell me Mass Effect 2 had worse writing than TFU2, or even God of War 3(great game, but really all about revenge, and opening pandora's box a second time, not really original).

I would say Assassins Creed and New Vegas do deserve to be on this list however, did not play Singularity or Prince of Persia(not that hard to beat the writting of the previous one though).

No Heavy Rain?(ignore the fact that hypothermia should have played a role lol).

No Red Dead?

Star Wars? Really? I am REALLY confused.

If Force Unleashed 2 is on there Mass Effect 2 should be there too, This is just the biggest piece of bullshit I have ever been fed.

mattttherman3:
The fact that the Force Unleashed 2 is on here for best writing makes this list completely bullshit. Is this thing sponsored by LucasArts or something?

I guess Bioware doesn't have any writters on staff that are part of the WGA. And if they do, wtf, you cannot tell me Mass Effect 2 had worse writing than TFU2, or even God of War 3(great game, but really all about revenge, and opening pandora's box a second time, not really original).

Quoted for truth. Odds are though that the writers for ME2 aren't part of the guild which is why they aren't on the list. In either case the writing for ME2 was mediocre IMO. The dialogue was great, but dialogue and writing tend to be classified differently for these kinds of things.

Also, just to further emphasize my opinion and yours I would wager... God of War 3's writing was terribad, by the time I finished it I said to myself... wait what the hell just happened... what was this about? How does Athena still exist... why does Kratos need or even want more power to kill the Gods when throughout all three games he kills them just fine.

SWTFU2... what a great example of a piss poor cash-in, but I can't really fault the writing... odds are they brought the writers in later after they designed and started production on the game. TL:DR the whole game was bad.

Fallout New Vegas does have some good quotes. Rose of Sharon Cassidy and Veronica come to mind.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Wii)

WHAT!!?!?!

Is the Wii version some sort of heavily altered directors cut version? I played it on the 360 and absolutely hated everything in it. That includes how awfully written it was.

You know you gotta take these guys seriously when they award gems like The Force Unleashed and Uncharted 2.

The Almighty Grigard:
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Wii)

WHAT!!?!?!

Is the Wii version some sort of heavily altered directors cut version? I played it on the 360 and absolutely hated everything in it. That includes how awfully written it was.

I don't know the details, but I played the Wii version for a bit and it was NOTHING like the PS3/360/PC version.

The list of games that won is just a very telling indication of how few videogame writers are WGA members.

...wait, wait, wait, wait... The Force Unleashed 2? Are... is... how... okay, where's the hidden camera? Ha-ha, really funny, you guys!

The... force... unleashed? Wow. Must've been a really shallow pool of choices.

StarWars makes it to the list again HA HAHA HAHAHA HA... what a joke.

Yeh guess videogame writers don't want to join the WGA lol

God, I'm going to be so ropeable if God of War three gets it over Singularity.
That will ruin my year...
-Tabs<3-

SIngularity made the list? Really? That's pretty bloody ridicul...

Wait. Did I just see...

The Force Unleashed?!

Really?

Well WGA, there goes your credibility down the toilet. And the membership thing doesn't help matters.

Hopefully this encourages more writers to join that guild...
I mean, admittedly I've barely played most of those games. But Force Unleashed 1 was... Okay not terrible. But totally predictable. And not good...
Haven't played much of NV, haven't played Brotherhood, but I did like the AC2 story. It was good, and if Brotherhood's story was the equal of AC2 it's the best on the list. It's still not brilliant.
The story of God Of War II was basically only there to drive the slaughter of mythical creatures. It was, same as SWTFU, no better than average.
So basically I may not be the most qualified to judge these stories. But I haven't heard any being praised for brilliant story, and in my experience none of them have a brilliant story.

Zhukov:

Wait. Did I just see...

The Force Unleashed?!

Really?

Well WGA, there goes your credibility down the toilet. And the membership thing doesn't help matters.

What? Singularity had a better plot than God of War and the Force Unleashed. Why is that so hard to believe? Singularity was actually a pretty solid game.
-Tabs<3-

I was interested and thought it was cool till I saw that Star Wars Force Unleashed was on there.

Some may say God of War 3 doesn't have a good story but then I'd like to challenge that statement by asking what game like that has a story that rivals God of War in general? Actually 1 had a pretty awesome story...

Hell just the setting and whole adventure was interesting with GoW

None of those games deserve to win.

Anyone else notice they are all high budget and highly publicised games?

At least Black Ops isn't there >.>

Zhukov:

Because, you know, unions are notoriously kind to non-members.

Some day Drew Karpyshyn's going to be found in a ditch with a quill in his back.

Daedalus1942:

Zhukov:

Wait. Did I just see...

The Force Unleashed?!

Really?

What? Singularity had a better plot than God of War and the Force Unleashed. Why is that so hard to believe? Singularity was actually a pretty solid game.
-Tabs<3-

Uhh... yeah, Singularity did have a better plot then GoW III and Force Unleashed. But they both had awful plots. It's like saying Clash of the Titans (the new one) had a better plot then The Expendables. It's true, sure, but it's still not much of a compliment.

Anyway, the main thing I remember about Singularity's plot is how forgettable it was. It was painfully bland and utterly devoid of interesting characters.

Zhukov:

Daedalus1942:

Zhukov:

Wait. Did I just see...

The Force Unleashed?!

Really?

-Tabs<3-

Uhh... yeah, Singularity did have a better plot then GoW III and Force Unleashed. But they both had awful plots. It's like saying Clash of the Titans (the new one) had a better plot then The Expendables. It's true, sure, but it's still not much of a compliment.

Anyway, the main thing I remember about Singularity's plot is how forgettable it was. It was painfully bland and utterly devoid of interesting characters.

Well, I actually quite enjoyed Singularity. Okay the characters weren't all that interesting. I found the bad guy to be the most interesting, but the overall plot of it wasn't half bad. The sound design was top notch and the scripted sequences weren't too annoying. I also found the ending quite funny (all four them).
-Tabs<3-

Zhukov:

Daedalus1942:

Zhukov:

Wait. Did I just see...

The Force Unleashed?!

Really?

-Tabs<3-

Regardless, none of them will win. Either AC or FO:NV will take the cake, because they had pretty deep storylines and plots.

What.
The.
Fuck.

Red Dead Redemption...

is missing

Also: Force Unleashed 2....really...

That was a cashcow...not written

Force Unleashed 2 and not Mass Efect 2? i call the bullshit hammer

Well, really, not that agree or anything, but why do so much people care? It's some award somewhere. Yeah, I don't think any of these deserve to be on the list more than Mass Effect 2 or Heavy Rain, but why is there so much complaining in the thread?

Yeah, it's fairly obvious the people who give the award don't play much games or really know what they're talking about (unless they're just really original, in that case, props to them, but I still disagree).

But, really, it's some award somewhere.

SL33TBL1ND:
Star Wars? Really? I am REALLY confused.

Its probably the only game they could be bothered finishing. Seeing as its so short and easy.

For shame, unimportant guild. For shame.

Umm no mass effect 2, no red deed redemption?

and star wars unleashed 1 won an award and swfu2 is nominated for one this year?

Geee go go writers guild, way to make yourselves look stupid as hell.

I find it funny how Fallout: New vegas has the most writers of the games that are nominated.

Almost all of these games have been ripped to shreds by Ben Yahtzee, and all of them were made to be cash cows. I probably understand the nomination of Fallout New Vegas, but The Force Unleashed II and Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands?
This is just retarded.

While I can't back up most of these games, Fallout New Vegas was really well written, blowing FO3 out of the water, still RDR and Mass Effect 2 should be in there, altough the latter was kind of disappointing when compared to it's Prequel.

Yeah, this list makes me wish these idiots would strike again so that a lot of them can go bankrupt (let's face it, the actually good ones won't) and get off my internet...

Wait i don't know much about the Writer's Guild. Is it like a group that writers have to join or something, and hence Good games like ME2, RDR and Enslaved aren't on there; because their wrtiers aren't in the guild? Clarification for us hillbilly types please? :3

I love how everyone is freaking out over ME2 not being included. The writers aren't part of the guild, therefore it doesn't get nominated. Simple as that.

However, the Force Unleashed 2's story sucked, but played much better then the original. Which is funny, because the original played like ass but had a great story.

Why is everyone complaining? If people want they're favorite games on this list (or not crap games on this list) then go complain to your favorite game's writer/s and tell him/her/them to join the Writers Guild :P

Or I could be wrong, the best writers in the video game industry could be part of the writers guild and the person who picked the entries for this list is 'questionable' to say the least.

GrizzlerBorno:
Wait i don't know much about the Writer's Guild. Is it like a group that writers have to join or something, and hence Good games like ME2, RDR and Enslaved aren't on there; because their wrtiers aren't in the guild? Clarification for us hillbilly types please? :3

Logan Westbrook:

Unfortunately, not every game is eligible for the award, no matter how well written they might be. In order to qualify for this year's awards, the game had to have come out between December 1st 2009 and November 30th 2010, and have a separate writing credit. That writer must also have joined the WGA, or have applied to join, by the time the script was submitted for consideration.

Its like NO ONE read the article, only looked at the list, and just jumped to RAGING

I'm glad to see AC Brotherhood and Singularity (that game was underrated!) getting some love. New Vegas is also a great choice. The others... eh... well...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here