Romanian Government Recognizes Witchcraft as Legal Profession

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Romanian Government Recognizes Witchcraft as Legal Profession

Double double, toil and trouble, if you want to be a witch... move to Romania.

The Romanian government now officially recognizes witchcraft as a legal profession. The recognition is part of a new tax law designed to bring in more funds and reduce tax evasion by citizens that make their living combining eye of newt with toe of frog.

Belief in superstition and magic is apparently common in Romanian culture. This means that fortune tellers, witches, and astrologers aren't widely considered to be lunatics or scammers like they are in other regions of the world.

The Romanian government's listing of witches in the country's labor code forces them to pay 16% self-employment tax and contribute to health and pension programs like every other self-employed citizen. They'll have to pay in actual money too, not enchantments or creepy animal parts embalmed in jars.

Some witches are happy about it, while others are not. One bad witch, who may or may not be wicked, told the Associated Press: "What is there to tax, when we hardly earn anything?" On the other hand, some noble members of the witching community were seen throwing corn into a river to celebrate official government recognition, which is coincidentally what Escapist staff does when we're happy too. One of the good witches was also seen chanting a spell for a good harvest, using a jar of charmed river water, a sprig of mistletoe, and a candle.

Romanian government officials should watch their backs, because certain unhappy witches are planning to retaliate against the law. "Queen witch" Bratara Buzea told the AP she'll be cursing those that passed it with a curse concocted using cat feces and a dead dog. I like the good witch's ingredients much better. "My curses always work!" she said. Something tells me it would probably be more effective to just put the feces in a brown paper bag and leave in on a Romanian official's doorstep.

Source: AP

Screw the bag! Put it in his tea!

OK, i just read that back and am now officially english...

On the other hand, some noble members of the witching community were seen throwing corn into a river to celebrate official government recognition, which is coincidentally what Escapist staff does when we're happy too.

So it's not just me? Good, glad to see fellow corn-chuckers. In fact, this put me in a good mood, so I'm gonna go throw corn in a river right now. It's like a witchy corn chain.

Ah, so could I officially list my employment as "Warlock?" 'cuz that be sweet yo.

Witchcraft and sorcery arn't real, true story.

Hehe, we should recognise it every country.

This; lllllllllllllllllllllllllllOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I love the world.

Damn, I wish America recognised Warlocks, that would give my proffesion a much needed boost in respect.

So, even the government believes in magic?

And I thought US politicians were stupid!

Edit:

Oh yeah, tax money!

Belief in superstition and magic is apparently common in Romanian culture.

Belief in superstition is pretty common in the whole of the civilised world. Let's not fool ourselves.

Well, finally, it's about time.

*Puts on pointy hat, gets on broomstick and rides into the night sky*

OT: Ahahahahahaa. Haha. Haaa. Cheered me up no end, Romania.

I love my country...but this was one of the funniest articles I read around these parts xD.

"Belief in superstition and magic is apparently common in Romanian culture."

And what percentage of the planet is religious, I wonder?

OT: I hope warlocks are included, as I'd hate to see gender-discrimination in this day and age.

Now the coven needs to unionize and offer benefits

Well, this is kinda crazy.
But i do see some logic behind this, especially if a country has some economic troubles.
To the leaders these people seem like leeches, i guess.Only normal leeches don't make potions and put curses on people.
All countries want money, yes? So i guess if they need it so badly, it's not that bad of a move to do.

Onyx Oblivion:

You don't have to believe in their magic to want some of the money they're apparently raking in.

Heh, I think this is just awesome. Dididn't know you could make a living doing this.

Its called religion. People have been doing it since the time they forgot how to read astronomical searches.

Maybe I should start studing shamanism lil' more.

Woohoo! Look at all that ignorant, self righteous bias depicted not only in the news article by also by many of the commenters! Why surely they must know 100% exactly what witchcraft really is and isn't, despite getting well, absolutely no facts on the subject.

For the record, Wicca and various other pagan religions that often fall under the heading of witchcraft are just as valid and a lot older than all those monotheistic religions that tried to supplant and absorb them in their power grabs for more followers, demonizing those that would not convert as evil or satanists or what have you.

Warlock is not the term for a male witch. The term for a male witch is... witch. Warlock means 'traitor' and was coined by the Catholic church to use against men who didn't follow their views.

Magic is just as real as you believe it is. At least as real as praying for something. In fact, it's exactly the same thing, using a person's willpower to hopefully influence external events. Whether the trappings are an athame or a rosary, whether you do it in a church or a magic circle, you are still trying to use ritual and willpower to bring about a favorable change in your life.

Why hasn't america thought of this yet?!

Seriously, I'm thinking about going to romania for maybe a year, "become a warlock" then head back to america to get a job JUST so I could put 'former warlock' on my job resume.

thethingthatlurks:
Ah, so could I officially list my employment as "Warlock?" 'cuz that be sweet yo.

No, because Warlock means 'oath-breaker'. You're like the Doctor Nick of witches.

nekoali:
Woohoo! Look at all that ignorant, self righteous bias depicted not only in the news article by also by many of the commenters! Why surely they must know 100% exactly what witchcraft really is and isn't, despite getting well, absolutely no facts on the subject.

For the record, Wicca and various other pagan religions that often fall under the heading of witchcraft are just as valid and a lot older than all those monotheistic religions that tried to supplant and absorb them in their power grabs for more followers, demonizing those that would not convert as evil or satanists or what have you.

Warlock is not the term for a male witch. The term for a male witch is... witch. Warlock means 'traitor' and was coined by the Catholic church to use against men who didn't follow their views.

Magic is just as real as you believe it is. At least as real as praying for something. In fact, it's exactly the same thing, using a person's willpower to hopefully influence external events. Whether the trappings are an athame or a rosary, whether you do it in a church or a magic circle, you are still trying to use ritual and willpower to bring about a favorable change in your life.

I love you.

nekoali:

Isn't it forbidden to use this gift for profit also? Maybe "forbidden" is not the correct word but...frowned upon? I know that real psychics do not charge, but i'm not that familiar with this.

Well that's just silly.

It's odd that making witchcraft an official employment would be worth the effort. I mean how many witches could there possibly be and how much could they be making. I imagine it's not a very lucrative field of employment. I would think enforcing the taxes would cost more then its worth but then again I don't know the employment percentages in Romania. Maybe its just tax dodges listing there job as witchcraft. Well whatever I just want to wait and see if all the officials in Romania turn into Newts (and then get better).

A Pious Cultist:
Witchcraft and sorcery arn't real, true story.

Ha. You've been bewitched to believe that...

OT: ...well...thats interesting.

yundex:

Isn't it forbidden to use this gift for profit also? Maybe "forbidden" is not the correct word but...frowned upon? I know that real psychics do not charge, but i'm not that familiar with this.

Forbidden is a bit strong a term. But by the Three Fold Law you had best be sure of what you are doing, as it says anything you do will come back to you three times over. I certainly wouldn't say that I'm familiar with any commercial aspects of witchcraft (and I suspect these people are more along the lines of advisers, herbalists and the like... You go to them because your baby won't stop crying for an herbal 'potion' to stop their teething pain).

I however would not perform any magic for the benefit of someone else (or myself) unless I felt the motives are pure. No casting curses on people or all that other rot. That's the sort of behavior that is frowned upon by most Wiccans.

nekoali:

yundex:

Forbidden is a bit strong a term. But by the Three Fold Law you had best be sure of what you are doing, as it says anything you do will come back to you three times over. I certainly wouldn't say that I'm familiar with any commercial aspects of witchcraft (and I suspect these people are more along the lines of advisers, herbalists and the like... You go to them because your baby won't stop crying for an herbal 'potion' to stop their teething pain).

I however would not perform any magic for the benefit of someone else (or myself) unless I felt the motives are pure. No casting curses on people or all that other rot. That's the sort of behavior that is frowned upon by most Wiccans.

Good to know, thanks.
Edit: The "what is there to tax when we hardly earn anything" is what had me wondering.

Mr. Dresden could open up a franchise in Europe.

Well it may seem awesome to you but I live in Romania and the so-called "Witches" are just gypsies who try to rip off stupid wealthy people. They're actually a disgrace to the term Witch. Just to make a point look at the powerful "artifact" hanging around her neck. -__-

http://image.stirileprotv.ro/media/images///400x300_play/Mar2010//60410387.jpg

Onyx Oblivion:

As opposed to our politicians who believe that a man can walk on water and change water to wine.

Ah, Romania. Neighbor of the former Yugoslavia. Why is this relevant?

The dhampir comes from the gypsy lore of eastern Europe. The vampires of some gypsy legends have insatiable sexual appetites (along with their appetite for blood), mainly directed towards their widows. Although a female vampire cannot bear children, a child can be produced from the union of a male vampire and living woman. These children, most of whom are male, are called dhampirs, and have the special ability to detect vampires (many of whom can become invisible in gypsy legend). The dhampir may hire himself out as a vampire killer, either engaging in all sorts of odd rituals, wrestling with the invisible spirit, and/or doing it in with a single shot from a pistol. Just like vampires, the exact names and characteristics of the dhampir differ from region to region. Most of the time, dhampirs were considered to be normal humans, other than their special abilities of detection, but in some cases they were thought to have a jelly-like body, dooming it to a short life. This latter claim stems from a belief that vampires have no bones. In some traditions, the abilities of a dhampir can be passed to a male offspring, creating a dhampiric lineage. Other names for dhampirs include vampir (if male), vampuiera (if female), vampijerovic, or lampijerovic. The last known dhampir ceremony, lest you think these creatures are remnants of the distant past, took place in Yugoslavia in 1959.

- Victor Mordenheim's Superstitious Bunkum (emphasis mine)

Where's my staff? I'm moving.

Que the American government bombing the crap out of Romania to "bring it Democracy" in 5...

Onyx Oblivion:

All policticians beleive in a far older and more sinister power than witchcraft... Tax!

OP: I say we follow suit and start taxing all superstitions. IE: religion, fortune telling, dodgy day spas :P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here