400 Unqualified Schmucks Sign Up For One-Way Mission to Mars

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

I'm a doctor, not a colonist!

TheAmazingHobo:
...So then, in a couple (read: A LOT) years from now on, we will have Mars colony, who can then declare itself idependent, which starts a war that will lead to incredible bloodshed and ultimatly the invention of the deep-fried twinkie.

On second thought..... letīs not do this.

But how else are we gonna get to Gundam Space Warfare?!?!?!

The Japanese are already investing in space expansion. Wake up sheeple!!

:P

VanityGirl:
The Martians are going to be like "WTF? How stupid are these earthlings?"

...Then they'll blast the humans with laser weapons.

No, they won't. They let natural selection do it's job. And if someone makes a flag using boxer shorts, they'll take it and wear it.

Samurai Goomba:
It's really not going to be as nice as they imagine, and they're not imagining it will be very nice.

I predict cannibalism in the first year.

I don't know if anybody's said this, but there's a historical precedent for this. One of the early voyages to the American west where the people wouldn't have had enough for a return trip ended in cannibalism because they ran out of food on some mountain. I forget which one and the name of it, but they got pretty far and then they got hungry and the first guy dead got eaten, then... well, you get the picture.

The early explorers on Earth always took clergy with them

... and that worked out fine for them - rather differently for the natives, historically speaking. Not that I am expecting there to be natives, but I wonder if someone thought before they said this - like, about the lots and lots of other religions they don't happen to represent having a presence. Hm.

Wait, who's going to fly the thing? I doubt if they'll send a skilled pilot (it takes too long to train those guys) and you need to have somebody steering. Not to mention the general lack of breathable atmosphere on Mars means spacesuits and who's going to be in charge of those? Unless this whole thing is automated its going to end up a technological disaster. Let's not even consider the fact that will almost certainly devolve into a bad reality tv show or lord of the flies. This is just a terrible idea from every stand-point.

This is just.... perfect.

Sign me up, seriously, I can think of nothing more awesome.
Stupid and suicidal? Yes
But when I die, if there is a god, i'll walk up and say, "Nice job on Mars, I was there."

so which movie/game space plot will the group take on? =) PLACE YOUR BETS!

Guess they want adventure. Not going to get much if you ask me

I think they're the freaks who are worried about 2012 :P And want frontside seats or something

Teiraa:
so which movie/game space plot will the group take on? =) PLACE YOUR BETS!

Mass Effect :P

THE THREAD HAS BEEN REVIVE
I think I posted here already, but I laugh at these people while being eager to see what it's like when it happens. Also, that guy'll be 89 when he leaves. Eheh.

LOL - I thought of the HHGG reference before I got through the article's title :p

I wonder, is this "list" of "volunteers" open to politicians and law makers? I'd hope so. perhaps we should remind our representatives in office that a "new" society will need "leaders" to set things in order. :D

Give them cameras, that way at least we'll get some nice play things for the psychologists when we actually start the "real" colonization.

I'm more concerned with the sexual tensions that might occur. I'm pretty sure of those people are going to be male, and with loneliness, the only thing which has more of 'value' for humans other then food and shelter is sex.

If you didn't get what I'm trying to say, bless your naive soul...

What I mean by all this is there is going to be certain degree of mass gangrape...and this concerns me greatly.

I am re-experiencing the skit with the chimps on Robot Chicken being killed for our space program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDSJQSxw14

I don't know if it's because life is so bad down here or so many people aspire to explore the unknown that is driving their willingness to sign up.

I giggled. Not because of the news clip, but because I thought to myself about 3/4 the way thru the post "this sounds like something that Fox News would--ah, yep."

FAIR. BALANCED.

If people want to go and are willing to pay for it, let them. They know the risks and I am sure others (skeptics) would say so.
Let some poor starving beafron russians make some moneh. Also it would help space and earth... by getting rid of some of that nasty excess population we have...

marurder:
If people want to go and are willing to pay for it, let them. They know the risks and I am sure others (skeptics) would say so.
Let some poor starving beafron russians make some moneh. Also it would help space and earth... by getting rid of some of that nasty excess population we have...

400 people is nothing really, hundreds of thousands are born everyday

Fuck, I would do that. How many people in our generation will be able to say I died going to or on Mars.

Ok I guess in the big picture no one would care. But still.

Hey! i have a suggestion. let's go for world peace and use all our unused nukes and bombs on mars. Let's bomb the planet out of existence. better to lose it than to have it populated with these.......... actually. let's do this. Let's send ever god damn reality TV star to mars. the jersey shore, big brother, pairs Hilton's BFFs, 16 and pregnant, sweet 16........generally just send MTV to the moon and make it so their broadcasting doesn't reach earth. I just solved overpopulation and made the intelligence level of earth rise. i should be given an award.
The booze for brains colony...... i like the sound of that.

Out of curiosity... What is the private industry planning to do with collection of useless people on a rock almost 2 years away. With machinery for any way trip... Put up a McDonalds for spacemen?
Whats the point of colonizing mars, to prevent overpopulation, if there is nothing they can do for us. Just chuck em resources that are windling away from us - Suicide by starvation?

This is just... Absolutely fucking stupid... If you want to remove yourself from the evolutionary chain or genepool, there are easier ways. And if you want to feel good about it - the ultimate decision. Donate your body to science...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here