Audiences Love Nerds: Big Bang Theory Renewed For 3 More Years

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Audiences Love Nerds: Big Bang Theory Renewed For 3 More Years

The scientist-centered sitcom will be on the air through at least the 2013-2014 television season.

Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, Rajesh, and Penny will keep up the shenanigans for at least three more years. The Big Bang Theory, currently in its fourth season on broadcast network CBS, has just been renewed, guaranteeing new episodes through 2014. The show revolves around two physicist roommates, their colleagues at the California Institute of Technology, the woman who lives next door, and the wacky hijinks that ensue when the super-smart and the average-smart collide.

Deadline quotes a press release by CBS President of Entertainment Nina Tassler, who joked, "It doesn't take a theoretical physicist to see why this show is a BIG part of our comedy future. From ratings to critical acclaim to pop culture buzz, it's struck a chord on all levels." The coveted 18-49 year old level is where the series strikes the most crucial chord: The Big Bang Theory is the most-viewed scripted series in primetime for that demographic. The show is doing well enough that its new license fee (the amount CBS pays for the rights to broadcast the program) is now upwards of $4 million per episode, which is more than four times the show's current fee.

Warner Bros. produces The Big Bang Theory, and has been able to foray its success into $2 million per episode in the sale of syndication rights. Additionally, the highly successful show recently moved from Monday to Thursday night, shifting to what Deadline calls, "the most lucrative night of television."

Source: Deadline

"It doesn't take a theoretical physicist"?
Gordon Freeman? It can't be coincidence!
Half Life 3 plox plox plox gaben is top model and totally not fat.

I wish i knew what this Big Bang Theory is.

3 years is plenty of time to get Penny dressed in all manner of genre/cult costumes. Wonder Woman is only the beginning...

Awesome. This show has really come into it's own.

Why that show? I hate that show

theriddlen:
"It doesn't take a theoretical physicist"?
Gordon Freeman? It can't be coincidence!
Half Life 3 plox plox plox gaben is top model and totally not fat.

Watch this then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iyP4YtKm90 one of the many many funny moments in this great show!

OT: Glad to see this show renewed, I love this show!

I must admit I stopped regularly watching after the second series...

I occasionally watch it but I don't really know the general plot line.

It's okay I suppose, but I can see them eventually killing the series with too many episodes.

I find this show silly at best and outright insulting at worst.

Love this show.

This and and How I Met Your Mother compose the only 2 sitcoms I watch, hell they're part of the small collective of shows I watch TV for at all, along with Top Gear and Blackadder/Fawlty Towers re-runs.

So long as it doesn't get stale then I'm all for it :D

Good news :)

Sure it's a bit casual at times for appealing to a broader audience, but I personally enjoy it nonetheless, we need something to counter all the Desperate Housewives-style popcorn television which is so full of tropes that you can predict the end from the start of the season.

theriddlen:

People spouting the usual drivel alternating with laugh tracks, except this time is about nerds, so as to capture the nerd audience. Historically this has been done with comedies by taking, say, a sci-fi setting and sticking some actual humour in (Red Dwarf, for example), but American shows seem to prefer using a laugh track to tell people they should think something is funny, rather than think of something funny, which seems to work for them.

Aura Guardian:
Why that show? I hate that show

This show has a very strange way of growing on you. I used to hate it too after I had watched a few parts on Television. It used to be up at the top with my hatred for Corner Gas. However, when I had nothing to do last week, but watch TV, I watched a few episodes and found myself enjoying it.
I hate it when I have to eat my words :(

theriddlen:

It's the portal storm triggered by the Doctor when he rebooted the Universe.

Also, Gordon Freeman is the 12th doctor.

\o/

Has it been syndicated yet?

I only started watching recently...

Hell, yeah. This is definitely the best sitcom out there.

I really don't like this show. Sorry but I just find it a very fake idea of what they think a so called 'nerd' is. I remember one episode where they were shown to be geeks because they were fans of Halo 3, 'fans of Halo 3' describes millions of people and really not really geeks seeing they normally go for a more hardcore thing like Half-Life (Sorry that maybe stereotyping of me, bizarre seeing I'm having a go at a show for the same thing.

There popular because, there different. Try n' name a sitcom where the protaganists are socially awkward fanboys with I.Q over 140. Its also popular because they try to realate to the audience. Doing skits that I've preformed in my life and taking it out of proportion.
I bet one of you have a roomate thats socially stunted and has boundary issues.
Also the writing is quite decent for modern television.

The Big Bang Theory is stupid but hilarious. I just wish the studio audience wasn't a pack of drunken howler monkeys.

Onyx Oblivion:
Has it been syndicated yet?

I only started watching recently...

Is there a difference between syndication and licensing it to overseas viewers?

Enjoyed the first two seasons. Much better then most TV.

I like Big Bang Theory, I have to say. I saw the first season when it was showing on E4, then got back round to it with DVDs of 2 and 3.

I'm not sure how they'll keep it fresh for another three seasons, but then people said the same thing about Friends, and that ran for ten, so I guess anything's possible.

And before anyone jumps straight in to whine abobut how Friends stopped being good, a lot of people, including me, liked the later seasons, at least enough for it to remain as the number one show on television at the time. Just because you didn't like something, or because you can look back now and point out the flaws, doesn't make it bad.

This hsow has an odd way of growing on you, as others have said. I used to think it was stupid and stereotyping and all that, but once you watch it a bit you start to like it. In fact I found it a bit like Friends in that despite how it's predictable and the jokes areobvious you keep wanting to watch more.

And to be fair, of course the main characters are stereotypes. It wouldn't be very funny if they weren't. Imagine a sitcom based around some ordinary real life nerds; yeah, not too funny.

blalien:
The Big Bang Theory is stupid but hilarious. I just wish the studio audience wasn't a pack of drunken howler monkeys.

Wish granted.

They're a MACHINE.

OfT: Sick of this captcha getting me...it seems like just another way to sneak an ad in, not to block spambots. I could be wrong but don't know if the publisher club people get it or not.

I really like the show, so that's great news! But not really surprising, as it's doing so well.

"Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!"

Love the Barenaked Ladies!!

I've watched this show since the beginning & I love it. :)

Roboto:

blalien:

Wish granted.

They're a MACHINE.

OfT: Sick of this captcha getting me...it seems like just another way to sneak an ad in, not to block spambots. I could be wrong but don't know if the publisher club people get it or not.

DUDE I HATE THEM TOO!!! I enter it right & it says it's wrong. >:(

i missed this entire season so far, because they moved the time slot. Now i have to choose between Community, which i love, and Big Bang Theory. No i dont have a DVR.

This show is far from perfect, and can tend to fall into "safe" territory, but it's at the very least willing to try something different, and every once in a while it'll strike a chord with me. I'd mark this is "the best show on now with a laugh track". To me, they're the Penny Arcade of television: they have a fairly broad appeal while still finding ways to show the geekier community that they're part of them. Marketable, but with some heart behind it, and so it goes a bit further than both the bland mass-appeal approach and the extremely niche concepts. I'll watch it when it's on, but I'm not upset if I miss it.

I like the show, but i would prefer if the studio audience was put on a seperate audiotrack so i can switch it off.

Roboto:

blalien:

Wish granted.

They're a MACHINE.

The Big Bang Theory switched to canned laughter? Because I know it was originally a live studio audience.

Meanwhile, nbc's community is well on it's way to cancellation. :(

Guess people really like the laugh track.

To actually add something to the discussion though, Big Bang Theory is like comfort food. Few mind-blowing sensations, but you know you'll get at least one laughter. While I think there are vastly better sitcoms out there (see Community, above), they're mostly about the smirks, not the fullness of a laugh.

I'd much rather watch a smart show about stupid people than a stupid show about smart people.

That's awesome, it's a good show. I never watch it anymore because I got so used to watching it on Mondays that I just don't think about it. And they only moved it to try to get people to watch Shatner's shitty show, which pisses me off even more.

It's bad enough that this show exists, but what's even worse is that people are watching it.

I've never really watched it. From what I've seen it seems quite good. Though 3 years is a long time to have a contract. 2 I could see, but 3? Most shows are renewed on a Year by year basis, and as long as they're not cancelled mid-season then it usually works out fine, and the writers can write an end for their last season.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here