Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Make my mom think I'm a Satan worshiper? FUCK YES! Then I can use all my internet trolling experience and knowledge on that bitch! She'll never see it coming...

Alright, I've seen some pretty weird marketing strategies, but that - that - beats all.

And now I want to buy it, so... good job, Visceral! Damn fine job!

Wait a minute, isn't Dead Space an 18+ game? Ergo, the people who are legally buying it probably don't give a shit what their mum thinks of it. I know I don't.

Kinda makes me wish I bought the Steam version of DS1 when it was on sale. I'm always willing to give credit to ballsy marketing campaigns. Hell, there's that "Dave's Killer Bread" that I've been eating lately that is not only delicious, but has great slogans like "Just say 'no' to bread on drugs" (Meaning no preservatives).

I.E.D.:
When my mom saw me playing Dead Space she asked me if the poor disfigured people in the game could be cured of their terrible condition, rather than being shot. I was left speechless. My mom is awesome.

Im sorry but i have, HAVE to say this.

Is your mom blind? Didnt she see the arms poking out of where the liver should be? The bone blades sticking out of the hands? The clearly rotting flesh?

I assume she didnt see the more beastly horrors in the game.

More importantly what did you tell her then?

lacktheknack:

FinalHeart95:
Best. Ad. Campaign. Ever.

Seriously, they took the very thing that most would use AGAINST video games, and used it to their advantage. Brilliant.

I don't understand. "Your mother hates Dead Space" is good advertising? What are you, a rebellious fourteen year old?

I see many things wrong with this post
1) There was a comment exactly about rebellious 14 year olds, saying something that everyone else has already said is neither witty nor humorous.
2) Keep the flames down, he makes a comment and you proceed to insult him.
3) The ad, while silly, was hilarious, different strokes for different blokes, it'd be best to remember your opinion is not the end-all be-all.

Well, I guess a certain 200 kids are not going to be getting this game.

gigastar:

I.E.D.:
When my mom saw me playing Dead Space she asked me if the poor disfigured people in the game could be cured of their terrible condition, rather than being shot. I was left speechless. My mom is awesome.

Im sorry but i have, HAVE to say this.

Is your mom blind? Didnt she see the arms poking out of where the liver should be? The bone blades sticking out of the hands? The clearly rotting flesh?

I assume she didnt see the more beastly horrors in the game.

More importantly what did you tell her then?

I'm sorry but i have, HAVE to say this.

Are you retarded? She perfectly well knows to make the difference between a video game and reality, where you most obviously fail to do so. Everything is possible in video games, don't be stupid.

I already stated I was left speechless.

Frostbite3789:
I think this advertising was awful. It didn't make the game look any better or good at all. It made me feel like it was appealing to kids. Like it was saying "Hey kid, your mom doesn't want you to play it." and kids eat that crap up.

As an adult, I thought it was stupid and playing the stereotype we hate here, that video games are uber violent things for children. Awful. I don't get why everyone here is championing it. When I saw it on TV yesterday, I got kinda sad.

Quoted for truth.

Are all of the other people in this thread children, by any chance? Can't you guys see what sort of damage this sort of campaign can cause to our hobby?

I literally laughed during the intro, their reaction and opinion on it. Makes me giggle. Thanks Escapist, this is why I frequent your website!

Marik2:
LOL this was really funny XD

The EA team sure knows how to market games, but not so much in making them good...just mediocre.

Im pretty sure they did this for the lulz.

What other reaction did they expect form "Moms taken from the conservative heart of America"?
:P

And i have high hopes for DS2, i need to download the demo.

I love and hate this experiment at the same time

My mom would be like "Is that the new Silent Hill or the new Resident Evil?"

PipBoy2000:

Frostbite3789:
I think this advertising was awful. It didn't make the game look any better or good at all. It made me feel like it was appealing to kids. Like it was saying "Hey kid, your mom doesn't want you to play it." and kids eat that crap up.

As an adult, I thought it was stupid and playing the stereotype we hate here, that video games are uber violent things for children. Awful. I don't get why everyone here is championing it. When I saw it on TV yesterday, I got kinda sad.

Quoted for truth.

Are all of the other people in this thread children, by any chance? Can't you guys see what sort of damage this sort of campaign can cause to our hobby?

I'm pretty sure almost anything us gamers do is a danger to our "hobby". Hell, if the ad was replaced with the Devs saying "all of our profits would go to charity" The general public could turn it around saying "they're trying to confuse you into buying their devil-spawn!"

I for one found this ad to be hilarious and a note-worthy troll.

'IT'S NOT A GAME!'

ummm...

Is it just me or were a couple of them close to tears?

I.E.D.:

Your mum is awesome (thats not a your mum joke). What a brilliant perspective to take to Dead Space, although it does rather make me feel computer games have killed my imagination and ability to think for myself!

/facepalm about all the people getting angry about this video.

You really don't understand it? You don't understand how this could be a good advertisement? And it's not funny because your mothers don't care what you play?

What the fuck, internet became serious business again or what?
It's a joke, nothing more. And a good one at that. Pull that stick out of your asses.

That was rather funny. I guffawed a couple of times, and chuckled dozens of times.
However I don't think think that my mother would be too disturbed. She has seen me disembowel people in God Of War, blow people apart in Fallout 3 and light people on fire in Spyro The Dragon[1]. She even watched me play the Dead Space 2 demo, and all she had too say about it was that she didn't understand how I could respond so quickly to some of the attacks. I.E. she didn't understand my reflex speed to some of the enemies popping out of tubes.

[1] Better known as the sickest, most evil, demonic and brutal game out there. It has turned hundreds of people into murder machines that just won't stop.

YES. HELL YES. Visceral did this very right.
And like this, the target audience was cut down to the people who are meant to play the game.

10char

Dead Space 2 - everything you love in a game.

Yeeeaah, considering that Dead Space 1 was one of the worst games I've played in a good ten years that's considered a AAA title, I'm gonna have to disagree with you disembodied marketing guy.

GoGo_Boy:
/facepalm about all the people getting angry about this video.

You really don't understand it? You don't understand how this could be a good advertisement? And it's not funny because your mothers don't care what you play?

What the fuck, internet became serious business again or what?
It's a joke, nothing more. And a good one at that. Pull that stick out of your asses.

A)I didn't know TV was the internet?

B) I'm not 12, so the ad didn't appeal to me.

I don't play video games to spite my parents.

Mackheath:
These guys...are possibly the greatest trolls I have ever seen...except Valve.

Nobody holds a candle to Gabe. Nobody.

Mackheath:
These guys...are possibly the greatest trolls I have ever seen...except Valve.

Oh yeah guys, Portal 2? Yeah, it's been cancelled and we've put the money towards Left 4 Dead 3, which will be out tomorrow. New additions include a cricket bat and a cricket bat with a nail through it.

OT: I am officially going to call everything I dislike 'mind-alerting, demonic weapon'.

Is it just me or does this seem like it could be construed as trying to market to people under the age of 17? It sure as hell was funny but Visceral might be accidentally lending weight to the "They secretly market games to kids raaawwhhhhhgggg!" nutcases.

Half of them look more like grandmothers anyway.

Thunderhorse31:
Methinks that if you're marketing a Mature game meant to be played by adults, your target audience wouldn't give two shits if their moms approve or not.

This.

Also, am I the only one offended by the notion that, as 'gamers', the most likely route to take to appeal to us is to make something our fucking mums wouldn't approve of? Like I'm some living at home, rebellious teen dipshit, just cause I like playing games?

Fuck it, thats actually true in most cases... 24 years of age, and this demographic makes me feel old.

Ah well, funny vid I guess.

"It's very fireful."

okay... wtf?

Hahahahaha, that is hilarious advertising. I never actually got around to playing any dead space outside the demos, so I doubt I'll buy this. Still, it looks like it's worth a shot. I'll probably rent it or something.

Booze Zombie:
They tested out people's mothers? There's a joke there...

Sad thing is, I wouldnt have noticed the joke if you didnt say anything

I'm surprised at the amount of people taking this seriously. Pretty certain it's a joke designed to take the piss out of all the anti-video game organisations and such.

Gigaguy64:

Marik2:
LOL this was really funny XD

The EA team sure knows how to market games, but not so much in making them good...just mediocre.

Im pretty sure they did this for the lulz.

What other reaction did they expect form "Moms taken from the conservative heart of America"?
:P

And i have high hopes for DS2, i need to download the demo.

Played the demo and it doesnt wow me...

Didnt like the first game and I dont think Im gonna like this one either.

They just took the resident evil route with "this game isnt scary so lets just make it action packed"

I bet the reason they only showed like 20 or so mothers is 1) running time obviously and 2) the rest of the moms were like "that was pretty cool"

Honestly, I like this campaign, even if you think that the people playing it wont give a damn what mom thinks, I think the rebel in all of us can enjoy the fact that out mothers would hate this.

for some reason I still dont really want this.... this doesnt look any more scary than dead space... which yknow, was just a monster jumping out of the closet... and the music was fucking creepy I guess

greatest. test. ever!

You guys checked out the other vids? of some of the participants taken one by one? The African American woman actually just has a "mediocre dislike" for it.
fun advertising anyway. And come on, i'm 29 but i still like to shock my mom from time to time..

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here