Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

"It's a mind altering, demonic, weapon"

"It's very firefull"

First off firefull is not even a word... Second Showcasing these kinds of games to the feminist, moronic populace that want games gone is a terrible idea. This is the shittiest advertising ever.

"There was a lot of fire. It's very.....fire-full."

I don't understand what you're all talking about. They chose this focus group because the game is so violent and aggressively juvenile, and they wanted these kinds of disgusted reactions. They want to take this data and appeal to the kind of kids who actually liked the original and wanted more, and would be turned on by the idea that their mother thinks the game is gross.

You're seeing this, right? "A mom's disapproval has always been an accurate barometer of what is cool." Doesn't that say something about what Visceral thinks is cool, and what they think of their teenage customers? Doesn't that make you not want to buy their game?

PrototypeC:
I don't understand what you're all talking about. They chose this focus group because the game is so violent and aggressively juvenile, and they wanted these kinds of disgusted reactions. They want to take this data and appeal to the kind of kids who actually liked the original and wanted more, and would be turned on by the idea that their mother thinks the game is gross.

You're seeing this, right? "A mom's disapproval has always been an accurate barometer of what is cool." Doesn't that say something about what Visceral thinks is cool, and what they think of their teenage customers? Doesn't that make you not want to buy their game?

I agree. In addition, I think that this is feeding the negative or immature image that gaming already has in society. I know the commercial isn't supposed to be any sort of "ambassador," but still. It's feeding the stereotype that gamers are either addicted couch potatoes, gore-hungry nuts, or twelve.

awesome ad! cant wait for dead space 2 :D

Wow, I do love this approach.

Not only my mom will hate this, but i will too.
Poor Dead Space 2 people, they know their game has nothing else going for it.

Blitzwing:

Mechsoap:

Terminate421:
This should be shown to every mother on the continent

Im so getting this game!

Cause you know thats not gonna effect the supreme court case at all.

No it won't, honestly you people need to relax.
How is this any different to ads for TV comics book and films that emphasize sex and violence? If they can do it then why not games?

People still think games makes their children and youths corrupted, showing this to every mother in America would certainly change some peoples opinion, and support the non-free speech for video games.

This game is for people that are 18 and over. This is the stupidest marketing I have ever seen and just adds to the arguments of people like Jack Thompson who accuse the game industry of marketing violent games to children.

Nice job EA, why don't your marketers jump off a cliff while they're at it.

lacktheknack:
What the hell was the point of that?!

Seriously... couldn't they have done something better than prove that mothers don't like bloody horror games?

It's humor. A joke.

A joke is funny, because it sets up a familiar pattern. In this case, moms not liking video games. A joke can then either avert the pattern, which is unexpected and can make you laugh. That would be if the moms enjoyed the game, or at least some of them. The joke can also play the pattern straight, to ridiculous degrees. That is done in this case by having over 200 moms, and a very scientific-looking set up.

In fact, taking something commonplace and acting as it is very serious or important is a comedic staple.

The purpose of this ad was to make the viewer laugh, which causes a release of endorphins and makes the person happier. The developers are hoping this assosciates good things with the game, which will make the viewer wish to buy it, thus funding the developer.

The ad also showed several clips from the game in order to entice the potential player. On top of that, much of the core demographic revels in violence or horror. Showing how horrified people are of it would potentially make them desire to play.

Ironic Pirate:

lacktheknack:

Seriously... couldn't they have done something better than prove that mothers don't like bloody horror games?

On top of that, much of the core demographic revels in violence or horror. Showing how horrified people are of it would potentially make them desire to play.

That would be cool if Dead Space 2 was a horror game and not an action game.

Exactly what

XT inc:
God If only call of duty did this with blops, there might be less squeaking on my mic in TDM. I wonder if they had done the research far enough to see if they would have bought this game for their child beforehand, maybe there is some kind of misconception seemingly a lot of parents have with what M rated games are full of.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. How many of these shocked and offended moms would have bought this game for the kids if they had asked for it -- before they watched the video. Will they even remember the name of it? Is there still a chance they might buy it anyways? I am thinking all parent's should watch the greatest hits of gore trailer if they are buying a game for a kid under the recommended age. At least they know what they are buying that way.

Astalano:

Ironic Pirate:

lacktheknack:

On top of that, much of the core demographic revels in violence or horror. Showing how horrified people are of it would potentially make them desire to play.

That would be cool if Dead Space 2 was a horror game and not an action game.

Horror and violence. As in, the combination. So, pretty much just jump scares, admittedly.

Not actual horror, but enough "scary" moments to attract an audience that likes horror, but doesn't really want to be scared, if that makes sense. The people that like to brag about how unscared they were.

Big Phil:
Duh... "2000 Dead Space gamers were brought together and made do cooking, washing dishes and cleaning the house! They absolutely hated it! Go do your chores... and enjoy it!"

They also wondered why their mothers seemed to enjoy it so much...

Look, I think this whole campaign makes no sense, instead of expanding their user base they are restricting it. Overall, I think it's a bad thing for the industry.

I feel sorry for the 200 sons of the 200 moms who are not going to get this game for their good conservative behavior anymore...

Look, anytime somebody tries to sell you a game by showing you some Moms instead of the game, you should avoid that game like the plague!

Mind numbing, demonic weapon?

Would somebody like to smack that woman with a copy of the Human Centipede?

Thunderhorse31:
Methinks that if you're marketing a Mature game meant to be played by adults, your target audience wouldn't give two shits if their moms approve or not.

Nice try anyway, Visceral. I'll be getting this regardless.

Exactly!

VISCERAL, used COUNTER... Its Super Effective!

Besides, the target audience isn't Mom's or pre-pubescent adolescents, its mature adults who get their kicks from survival horror... and "Demonic Vommit"!

Frostbite3789:
I think this advertising was awful. It didn't make the game look any better or good at all. It made me feel like it was appealing to kids. Like it was saying "Hey kid, your mom doesn't want you to play it." and kids eat that crap up.

As an adult, I thought it was stupid and playing the stereotype we hate here, that video games are uber violent things for children. Awful. I don't get why everyone here is championing it. When I saw it on TV yesterday, I got kinda sad.

Yea I felt the same way. This feels like another step towards total fucking idiocy in video game marketing. Thanks Visceral for taking gaming another 10 steps backwards. GG.

Steff676:
I feel sorry for the 200 sons of the 200 moms who are not going to get this game for their good conservative behavior anymore...

The game is rated M so they shouldn't be getting it either, conservative behavior or not.

Seriously, this ad is stupid. It just fuels stereotypes about games and how society perceives them.

MaVeN1337:
Second Showcasing these kinds of games to the feminist, moronic populace that want games gone is a terrible idea. This is the shittiest advertising ever.

Feminism has nothing to do with this, and I don't think think they want "games gone". That's just some immature over-exaggeration.

Internet Kraken:
Am I the only one who would feel immature playing this game now? Like I'm just doing it to spite my parents? It makes me feel like some preteen who tries to be edgy just to get a rise out of people.

Yeah. Although I would only feel that because of the last bit where the anoouncer spells it out, trying too hard.

Market research or not, I'm counting this as one of the greatest practical jokes ever.

On the other hand, is this the sort of thing a marketing team needs to be doing considering the supreme court case that happened last year (California vs EMA & ESA)? The conservative anti-gaming population is not the demographic of games so their opinions may not matter, however giving them more reasons to complain in the media and court rooms isn't exactly smart. Soccer moms are pretty powerful when it comes to them getting their voices heard and having their way while representation of video games is very weak; look at how Atomic Games was ridiculed in the media for developing "Six Days in Fallujah" even though they were trying to make a serious documentary-styled game with the help of the very soldiers who were involved. It was actually the idea of the soldiers to make the game, not Atomic.

Maybe I'm being too serious since this topic is about a marketing gag; question the people who will hate the product to impress the people who will like it. I just think that due to all of the heat and negative attention the gaming industry is getting from the country, we would avoid giving the opposition more fuel for their fire.

pirateninj4:

Frostbite3789:
I think this advertising was awful. It didn't make the game look any better or good at all. It made me feel like it was appealing to kids. Like it was saying "Hey kid, your mom doesn't want you to play it." and kids eat that crap up.

As an adult, I thought it was stupid and playing the stereotype we hate here, that video games are uber violent things for children. Awful. I don't get why everyone here is championing it. When I saw it on TV yesterday, I got kinda sad.

Yea I felt the same way. This feels like another step towards total fucking idiocy in video game marketing. Thanks Visceral for taking gaming another 10 steps backwards. GG.

I concur

I really am shocked by how many people actually think that this is anything more than a gag promotion.

Of course they don't think that you really care if your mom likes it or not. They are trying to amuse you, and at the same time, showcase some of the gameplay. The key is whether or not you'll remember it. That is the purpose of marketing, after all.

Here's a Pro-Tip for some folks on this thread: It is not only possible but even probable that the men and women with all the schooling and experience in marketing just might possibly know what they are doing.

ShadowKirby:

Steff676:

The game is rated M so they shouldn't be getting it either, conservative behavior or not.

Seriously, this ad is stupid. It just fuels stereotypes about games and how society perceives them.

shittiest advertising ever.

One thing I love about my country when it comes to drinking, smoking or "M" rated games people just do not give a shit:)

The game is rated M not A so you have to be 17 to get it

I was playing the first dead space with one of my friends moms watching and she thought it was pretty cool.

To be honest I have to say that this kind of marketing campaign is counter-productive since it's very nature seems to be to sell an "M" rated game to an audience that shouldn't be playing a game of that rating. Especially with the stuff going on with The Supreme Court right now this isn't a good time for this.

As others have said, if your Mom's approval is a factor, your too young to play this game.

solidstatemind:
I really am shocked by how many people actually think that this is anything more than a gag promotion.

Of course they don't think that you really care if your mom likes it or not. They are trying to amuse you, and at the same time, showcase some of the gameplay. The key is whether or not you'll remember it. That is the purpose of marketing, after all.

Here's a Pro-Tip for some folks on this thread: It is not only possible but even probable that the men and women with all the schooling and experience in marketing just might possibly know what they are doing.

Understand something else, it doesn't much matter if it's a gag promotion or not given what's going on right now on this front.

As far as guys doing the marketing knowing what they are doing, one would normally think that, but as sites like "TV Tropes" show, these guys do misfire horribly. This is one of those ads where if you look at the political situation, it's not hard to say "WTF were they thinking".

What's more, while this is intended to entertain people, the article from The Escapist here says that this was a real "gag", as opposed to actors paid to pretend they were upset moms (which would normally have been my thought). At a time when the industry is trying to make a point about itself, it's behavior, and similar things launching a campaign like this and punking a bunch of middle aged mothers seems counter productive. The message here seems to be "this game is awesome, your parents won't let you play it, but you should get it anyway!". At a time when the industry is pushing for parents to regulate their kid's gaming as opposed to the goverment, a message seeming to say "disobeying and freaking out your parents is cool" is hardly a good idea from an industry trying to sell it's professionalism.

where's frumpy?

I.E.D.:
When my mom saw me playing Dead Space she asked me if the poor disfigured people in the game could be cured of their terrible condition, rather than being shot. I was left speechless. My mom is awesome.

While contrary to my other posts, my response probably would have been able to say:

"No, no, they are totally corrupted by the evil space demons. Only the church of Unitology is our salvation, see the glowing script on the armor I downloaded? That protects me!"

Then after saying "Unitology" due to the similarity of the name to scientology I'd make some "innocent" inquiries about Tom Cruise, what she thinks he's up to, and whether or not you could go meet him at his church. :P

If you got her to do a double-take before realizing it's a joke, you did it right.

The monsters might be the ugly part of the game, but I think the creepiest part is actually that the good guys seem to be a group of ancient-alien worshipping cultists who see the artifact involved as a pseudo-divinity (and in a twist, it is sort of the hero of the piece in a lot of ways in both the game and the animation, being what was holding the evil in check).

pretty cool ad campaign I wont buy it (I,m easily scared) but still good idea
but I,m also dissapointed that there are still people that are so close minded about games

I know by now this has already been said, but just in case...this is a commercial released by Sony now, and a damn funny one to boot!

Tom Goldman:

You'll be able to make your own mother think you're a possessed devil worshipper...

Given my tendencies to listen to heavy metal and occasionally doodle stuff you might find on the album covers, in addition to my (occasionally dark) writing and my antisociality, I think she already thinks I am.

OT: Videogames and mothers have never gone hand-in-hand, from my viewpoint. Either way, I will still play Dead Space 2. And I most likely will scream like a baby when something tries to eat my head. And I'll love every minute of it.

I have been waiting for this game to come out for awhile now, and I love these video! lol Going to have to give this game a go on the Move as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here