Rumor: Microsoft Working on "Official" Kinect Drivers and SDK

Rumor: Microsoft Working on "Official" Kinect Drivers and SDK

Not only did Microsoft flip-flop on hackers playing with Kinect technology, but it might release an offical driver soon.

Back when Kinect came out in November, Adafruit Technologies offered a $3000 reward to the first hacker who wrote a custom driver to communicate with the sensor and provide video and depth information. That prize was claimed by a programmer named Hector, and his driver has fueled hacks from the amazing to the erotic (If you find jiggly boobs hot, that is.) At first, Microsoft seemed to frown on Adafruit's contest, but they soon backtracked and claimed that using the USB interface implicitly made Kinect "open." Now, inside sources reported to the site Winrumors that Microsoft will soon release a full Software Developer Kit (SDK) with an official driver for Kinect to work with your PC.

During an interview at CES, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admitted that he was interested in supporting all of the Kinect hacks that have been all over the internet "in the right time." That may mean that his company is working on it already and he's just buying time.

The unnamed source claimed that the Kinect drivers will be distributed in a "beta" state, likely so that the company won't be liable to provide full tech support for an advanced technology. There was no information on a date to expect Microsoft to release the driver, but the source said that he expects Kinect support to be bundled with the "Community Technical Preview" of an update to XNA Game Studio 4.0. Last year, Microsoft released such a preview during GDC 2010 and the final version came out in September.

Does that mean we'll see XNA Game Studio 5.0 announced at GDC 2011 with full Kinect support?

*shakes Magic 8 ball*

Signs point to yes.

Source: Winrumors

Damn if this is true I may end up stealing my brothers Kinect to stick it into my PC and mess around...

It'll be fun to poke at the code a bit :3

Was this their original plan? Get people hooked on Kinect and then "graciously" let us plebs pay for the drivers so we could mess around and do something interesting with it?

I'm a retard so I don't understand a word. What exactly could be done with these drivers?

There you go Microsoft. That's the spirit you needed to embrace from the start.
Expand the market, don't try to strong arm it into stagnation.

EDIT:

Shycte:
I'm a retard so I don't understand a word. What exactly could be done with these drivers?

Essentially, Microsoft is releasing a dev-kit and driver so you can use your Kinect on your PC, or develop applications for Kinect.

Shycte:

Better support for the device and thus bugfree "hacks" with it. As microsoft knows the specs of the device, they don't have to rely on reverse engineering to write drivers, so their drivers will be better quality.

I'm actually surprised at this. Instead of futile efforts to crack down on hackers, they just gave up and went with the flow. Good on you, Microsoft.

XNA with Kinect support? FUCK YES!

manythings:
Was this their original plan? Get people hooked on Kinect and then "graciously" let us plebs pay for the drivers so we could mess around and do something interesting with it?

Wow, some people SO badly want to hate Microsoft that they get annoyed when they do something good.

Shycte:

It's basically a way for Kinect to communicate with non-xbox tech. Like a PC for instance.

OT: I don't own an XBox, but if this driver worked in the interesting ways such as the Mincecraft monument thing. I'd actually consider getting a kinect just for the ability to dick about on my computer with it!

Shycte:

It's a development kit for Kinect on the PC. So basically, indie developers and hackers will be able to work with kinect and make programs for it.

danpascooch:

manythings:

Wow, some people SO badly want to hate Microsoft that they get annoyed when they do something good.

I don't mean it in a "down with MS!" kind of way but why work on the driver to let the common people use it like that? The bottom line drives business so the Driver had to result in a gain for them. Did Hector's Hack push them to throw this together so they could keep content control?

still really got no interest in this product, none of the hacks look remotely interesting to me.

Well this'll be cool. Does that mean we may see PC games with Kenect support in the future?

Also who here thought there was a speck of dirt on their monitor when they saw the picture? What IS that black dot?

manythings:

danpascooch:

manythings:

I don't mean it in a "down with MS!" kind of way but why work on the driver to let the common people use it like that? The bottom line drives business so the Driver had to result in a gain for them. Did Hector's Hack push them to throw this together so they could keep content control?

My guess is that they did it in hopes of seeing new Xbox Arcade games that incorporate Kinect, it's a good thing.

I'm not sure that it's about content control, I think maybe after seeing all of the things people are doing with it, they figure if they make an SDK, a flood of new indie games for XBL will ensue.

psrdirector:
still really got no interest in this product, none of the hacks look remotely interesting to me.

You really can't think of a single thing full body tracking might be cool for?

You could have two robots, controlled by people in front of a Kinect FIGHTING EACHOTHER!

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

You could have two robots, controlled by people in front of a Kinect FIGHTING EACHOTHER!

yea that doesn't sound fun, at all. Battlebots sounds alot more fun then that.

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

THEN YOU ARE TRULY LOST!

*Lightsaber battle in front of volcano ensues*

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

THEN YOU ARE TRULY LOST!

like the battle reference, but really all it can do for the most part is real time low quality video editing. Ive played some of the games, they were not nearly as responsive as claimed, and had more fun playing the same game on the wii.

traukanshaku:
I'm actually surprised at this. Instead of futile efforts to crack down on hackers, they just gave up and went with the flow. Good on you, Microsoft.

What the hell do they care about hackers with this piece of hardware? It can't do anything without something to hook it up to.

Microsoft has an interesting track record on things like this. I think what it is, is that a lot of people have power within the company and there a quite a few different opinions; so it is more a matter of who you ask.(I believe it was Bill Gates who said, "I would rather people pirate my software than somebody else's) Good on them for finally recognizing the enthusiast market though. This may be just the tip of an unexplored iceberg for them!

How about licencing Kinect for the PC market.

The holiday releases this year has been dire, sure there was a few summer releases but basically meh.

Watching the videos on here though makes me wonder how close we are getting to making a real life 'Holo-deck' and that should be enough for anyone! Possibly the last invention of the human race.

Surrogate anyone?

traukanshaku:

My thoughts exactly. It's strange to see so much fluid thinking from such a big company of late. If it proves to be true it would be a brilliant move and far wiser tactically than attempting to defeat the hackers, who history has shown us are not beyond accepting a challenge.

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

THEN YOU ARE TRULY LOST!

like the battle reference, but really all it can do for the most part is real time low quality video editing. Ive played some of the games, they were not nearly as responsive as claimed, and had more fun playing the same game on the wii.

The hardware JUST came out, I'm sure a good use will be found for a high quality 3d motion tracking camera

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

THEN YOU ARE TRULY LOST!

The hardware JUST came out, I'm sure a good use will be found for a high quality 3d motion tracking camera

but its not high quality, every video ive seen its a rather low quality imagery. when someone gives me one as a gift, ill flip a coin on keeping it.

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

but its not high quality, every video ive seen its a rather low quality imagery. when someone gives me one as a gift, ill flip a coin on keeping it.

What your seeing is what they use it for on their end, if they decide to map the image to a crappy looking texture, that's the result.

The actual image of YOU that the kinect gets is detailed and high quality, meaning it will get a very high degree of precision once programmers get used to using it.

This sounds like a good idea, but I have a feeling that >1% of the things that are created would make it to the MarketPlace. Which means that 99% would be complete crap.

Greg Tito:
At first, Microsoft seemed to frown on Adafruit's contest, but they soon backtracked and claimed that using the USB interface implicitly made Kinect "open."

Well, Microsoft Germany actually said that before the first hacks came out and if you plug it into windows 7, the os recognizes it; it's just that proper drivers are missing.

And in other news Sony plans on suing hackers

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

What your seeing is what they use it for on their end, if they decide to map the image to a crappy looking texture, that's the result.

The actual image of YOU that the kinect gets is detailed and high quality, meaning it will get a very high degree of precision once programmers get used to using it.

I am talking about what I saw at the display in bestbuy where I did the boxing game that seemed less responsive then the wii version. it looks like a bad toy with minimal value that is way over priced, maybe if it was 25 bucks would consider it.

psrdirector:

danpascooch:

psrdirector:

I am talking about what I saw at the display in bestbuy where I did the boxing game that seemed less responsive then the wii version. it looks like a bad toy with minimal value that is way over priced, maybe if it was 25 bucks would consider it.

The hardware is solid, and has huge potential, it's the development that isn't up to par yet if the responsiveness wasn't good.

The thing is BRAND NEW, it takes a little while for developers to understand how to work something so radically different, but I think it has massive potential. Not the way Microsoft is using it for the 360 with Wii style gimmick games, but I think if PC users get serious about modding it we could see some awesome stuff.

I would love to see something like the ability to map commands in WoW to simple hand gestures, or the abilitu to scan objects into Garry's mod. The possibilities are endless.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here