Cookie Monster Abandons Cookies, Throws Himself into Science Instead

Cookie Monster Abandons Cookies, Throws Himself into Science Instead

One of Sesame Street's most colorful residents finally answers the age-old question of whether a coconut floats in water, in his own unique style.

While most know Cookie Monster for his work as a fuzzy, blue gourmand, beneath that snack-obsessed exterior beats the heart of a scientist, and one that isn't afraid to get his hands dirty - or his fingers wet for that matter - doing his own experiments.

In a recent series of YouTube videos - which are a few weeks old, but are charming and fun enough to be worth a mention all the same - Cookie, and his assistant Emma, asks viewers to help them determine which of the various objects they've collected will sink in water, and which will float.

Just watching Cookie drop things in water would be entertaining enough, but the icing in the cake - or indeed, the chocolate chips in the cookie - is that fact that the videos are interactive, allowing the viewer to choose the object, and then decide whether they think it will float or sink. It's not the most complicated experiment in the world, but some of the objects might surprise you. I recommend that you try the citrus fruit first.

The videos don't go into a lot of detail about why an object would float or sink, but they do a very good job of explaining the process of conducting an experiment. First, you ask a question, then you construct a hypothesis to answer that question, and then you test your hypothesis. If your hypothesis is correct, you've answered the question, and if it's wrong, you adjust your hypothesis and try the experiment again.

As our very own Susan Arendt noted, interactive web videos, especially on something like YouTube, is a great way to keep Cookie Monster and the other Sesame Street characters current. Not only that, but by making the experiment accessible and fun to watch - and it really, really is - it helps keep the lesson memorable.

Science Monster doesn't cut it as a name...Thank god they aren't pushing that.

But that's fun edu-tainment.

Still, he's no Bill Nye. Not even a Beakman, really.

LLR I am very disappointed with you now. Sesame street can do it but you guys can't? I tried to play along but nothing happened. For shame. You guys got shown up bu a little girl and a blue monster.

Anyone else who was afraid of the cookie monster as a kid?

Also, I failed. Though that little girl told me that it was OK.

Wait, the Coconut floated?!!

To quote but modify a famous Internet Meme:

"F-ing Coconuts! How do they work?!"

OT: I like it, but the girl on the left can't act... And I hate the fact that Seseme Street is trying to make Cookie Monster not want Cookies all the time! I think he should abandon ship while he can and just join the Muppets.

The cookie monster screaming SCIENCE! just made my day.

Logan Westbrook:
It's not the most complicated experiment in the world, but some of the objects might surprise you. I recommend that you try the citrus fruit first.

Really? I thought it was common knowledge that limes are denser than water.

Mr.Mattress:
Wait, the Coconut floated?!!

To quote but modify a famous Internet Meme:

"F-ing Coconuts! How do they work?!"

Yeah, they have to. The coconut tree drops the coconuts on the beach, which then get carried away by the tide, washed up on another beach, and start to grow there. The reason they're hollow is to keep them afloat.

OT: Cookie Monster + SCIENCE! = Awesome.
Stupid little girl, not letting me be on Sesame Street with Cookie...

I also heard he's investing into pussy

Spoiler'd for people who don't want their childhood ruined:)

About time we had a new Mr. Wizard in the children's show field.

Onyx Oblivion:
Still, he's no Bill Nye.

Not by a long shot he ain't.

Seriously, nobody beets Bill.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Sir Patrick Stewart the Science Guy?

Onyx Oblivion:
Science Monster doesn't cut it as a name...Thank god they aren't pushing that.

Yeah, especially since we're supposed to be calling him the vegetable monster or whatever after they needed to make a PR change. Soon he wont even be blue. :(

Still, its kinda cool that Sesame street is changing constantly to meet the needs of new generations and be relevant. I wish the same could be said for Bill Nye.

True story, I was watching an old Bill Nye vid cause I was just feeling nostalgic and my room mate had his little cousin over. They me watching and asked who that was (he's five, understandable) and I explained, then the kid said something about Bill Nye being a joke and he didnt do real science or know what he was talking about and went against the Crazy Clown group (something like that, I wasnt focused). So yeah. Between that and my last semester room mate not knowing what Legos are (having grown up in America and being 18, I have bad feelings for the way children of this age are growing up.

SCIENCE!

Onyx Oblivion:

emeraldrafael:
the Crazy Clown group

Insane Clown Posse?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fcking-magnets-how-do-they-work

Probably yeah. All I know is he came in with his face painted like a clown, but I thought he was at a local fair. Like i said, I checked out of that coversation as soon as he starts insulting Bill Nye's credibility (which is surprising substantially founded considering you wouldnt think so).

Dr. Insano Monster!

Haha...

Though really, science and Cookie Monster is a connection I didn't expect.

Damn, frickin' lime sank like rock.
I was wrong and was reassured by a little girl.

hey hey hey the recession hit him hard and he had to get a job I think we can respect that

emeraldrafael:

Onyx Oblivion:

emeraldrafael:
the Crazy Clown group

Insane Clown Posse?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fcking-magnets-how-do-they-work

Probably yeah. All I know is he came in with his face painted like a clown, but I thought he was at a local fair. Like i said, I checked out of that coversation as soon as he starts insulting Bill Nye's credibility (which is surprising substantially founded considering you wouldnt think so).

dudes a legit scientist, almost saw him speak on the future of engineering at purdue when I was attending. but my grandmother died so i gave my tickets away to go the funeral. :(

dudes legit :D

psrdirector:
Snip

I know he's legit. I've seen his credentials and follow the speeches he makes. Guy's smart.

emeraldrafael:

psrdirector:
Snip

I know he's legit. I've seen his credentials and follow the speeches he makes. Guy's smart.

Thus making him even more awesome, he has all that skill and can still present it so you can understand it at a very young age AND make it fun enough that in collage you still get smiles watching him.

Silly monster, "C" is for cookie not for CO2.

Stop him before he reaches the moon!

didnt Brainiac had a segment in one of the season,s where they tested if fruit float,s or sinks?

I think they need to leave Cookie Monster alone. I still remember when they decided to have him "chill out" with the cookies and promote healthy eating as part of his schtick, which defeated the entire point of the character.

Turning Cookie Monster into a scientist is also a travesty, he's supposed to be a dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers eating machine. It's his charm, and the entire point of the character.

I don't object to the lesson itself, or using Seseme Street to teach (it's always been the point) but they should do it with other characters, not with Cookie Monster.

Limes sink?? But Lemons Float??

I feel mildly embarrassed for mixing those up. And hearing cookie monster shout "We should do MORE SCIENCE!!" totally just made my day.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Onyx Oblivion:
Still, he's no Bill Nye.

Not by a long shot he ain't.

*NOSTALGIA'D*

JONN takes 1 Age Damage!
JONN is now ANOTHER DAY OLDER AND DEEPER IN DEBT!

Science!

I watch this and can't help but remember "Eureka!" from the eighties and TVO (Canadian TV station). I wonder how Cookie Monster would describe inertia.

Doog0AD:
The cookie monster screaming SCIENCE! just made my day.

Yep, that was the bit that sold the whole idea to me, even though he didn't follow it up with "It works, bitches!".

That and hearing the old Win3.1 "chimes" noise when the action kicked off.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here