Dead Space 2 Gets Green Light for Germany

Dead Space 2 Gets Green Light for Germany

Dead Space 2 is coming to Germany in February and aside from a little change to multiplayer, it'll be completely intact when it gets there.

It wasn't a huge surprise when the German state of Bavaria gave the thumbs-down to the PSP version of Dead Space 2 in December. Germany is notorious for taking a hard line against videogame violence, after all. But EA has now announced that after much horsing around, the game has finally been given the all-clear and a release date for all platforms has now been set.

The game will be modified slightly in accordance with the demands of the USK, Germany's videogame rating agency, leaving the single-player portion intact while the multiplayer mode will have friendly fire disabled. It's a bit of an odd change given that the single-player mode is built around creatively dismembering hordes of horribly mutated zombies, but the seemingly-minor tweak is apparently enough to keep the authorities happy because it addresses concerns about killing humans in videogames.

EA said it was pleased that the state had finally given the game the rating "it deserves" but added that the painfully drawn-out process clearly demonstrated that the German rating system, at least as it regards the PSP, is "impractical." It also said that because of the many delays in getting a rating, the game itself will be delayed a bit too: the rest of the world will get its hands on Dead Space 2 on January 25, while German gamers will have to wait until February 3.

Source: RipTen

Wait so all it needed was no freindly fire?
The fuck?

right...how about Mad World then, Germany?

Of all the things to remove from Dead Space...

Of all the reasons to ban a game, they came up with that? Good grief.

How will the kids ever grow up to be psychopath serial killers and dictators if they don't get their daily dose of friendly fire in Dead Space 2? D:

My plans are ruined!

But moms hate it!

Wow, I can't believe they're only removing friendly fire

Wow, we let something like that through? Surprises me that the Bavarian government hasn't found anything else to hinder the release of that game. Are our videogame heaters giving in?
In all seriousness though, the USK doesn't seem to have all that much of a problem if the violence is clearly fantastic and/or not directed against humans.

On this friendly fire thing, I remember that being a issue for the rating for a few games, and I actually have no idea why. Maybe it has something to do with what I stated above, especially if the same kind of dismemberment effects the game is famous for also apply to to human characters.

I showed this to my circle of gaming friends, we laughed our collective asses off.

Won't this make the game easier?

The Hairminator:
How will the kids ever grow up to be psychopath serial killers and dictators if they don't get their daily dose of friendly fire in Dead Space 2? D:

My plans are ruined!

God damn it, my little Jimmy is going to have to use Manhunt now.

OT: Friendly fire? They don't mind that you can play as mutated children and babies to kill the humans, but another human doing it is a no no?

SlainPwner666:
I showed this to my circle of gaming friends, we laughed our collective asses off.

From the time I had with the beta, friendly fire was more of an issue on the Necromorph side. It seems Germany only has a problem with Human characters killing other human characters, as it is entirely possible for a Necromorph player to dismember their victim.

They stopped the game from releasing because of friendly fire?

I don't have the words necessary to describe how fucking stupid this is.

imnotparanoid:
Wait so all it needed was no freindly fire?
The fuck?

Actually, you have to be a german to understand that. And even then, you'll still most likely won't.

Irridium:
They stopped the game from releasing because of friendly fire?

I don't have the words necessary to describe how fucking stupid this is.

Well, Bavaria tried to stop it, and bavaria is sort of the german version of texas...

For some strange reason, this reminds me of the song they play for the Mormons in South Park.

Wait a minute...there's a PSP version of Dead Space? When did that happen?

Well...the first Dead Space was completely uncut here in Germany, because it didn't have violence against humans...and was it not for the possibility to hurt your fellow players in the multiplayer mode, Dead Space 2 wouldn't have gotten a problem, either...they could even have left the friendly fire option to get a rating, but the would have to have remove the possibility to separate limbs for the humans...

SlainPwner666:

for MP griefers maybe.

I mean, it could be that you cant fire at all if you are aiming at a friendly.

OT: oh, yes, because giving the players the ability to act like jackasses to teammates is cause for concern, disregard the fact you are cutting things in half with weapons that are not being used for their original purpose.

Utarefson:

Actually, you have to be a german to understand that. And even then, you'll still most likely won't.

There was quote about Mad World being in Germany. How?

This from the wiki: "On August 19, 2008, Sega announced that MadWorld will not be released in Germany. Sega has released MadWorld in Australia, another country with strict video game classification. Despite this, the game has been released in Australia unedited, with an MA15+ rating.2

Wait, that's it? All they did was take away friendly fire? Germany, you baffle me sometimes.

so Bavaria, the only difference between a country of nice, friendly people and a country of violent youths is friendly fire in a video game?

Sounds stupid to me. Some people have no idea...

So, for a country that has no problem having a large highway where there is no speed limit by law and just giggles whenever someone gets killed because their government's too incompetent to put up signs with a little number on it (and enforce it), they're pretty strict on a multiplayer video-game because it allows for friendly fire.

Hah, wow. Honestly.

Wait, so it was about friendly fire? And they removed it?! HOLY FUCK! I WANT THIS VERSION.

Oh, and what's with the Almighty Inglip (reCAPTCHA)

But... zombies are people too!

Another hard blow for the zombienism committee.

Delusibeta:

You should see China's reason behind banning WoW. Although, it was mainly because the Ninth city (WoW's China publisher at the time) didn't bride the right people.

I remember one of the reason was there is skeletons in the game, and they didn't want people to see human bones.

Note that it was only 1 "state" that had a problem with the game. Still think the whole organization should be abolished.

mazzjammin22:

i said the same thing when i first read this story back in December.

Kalezian:

SlainPwner666:

for MP griefers maybe.

I mean, it could be that you cant fire at all if you are aiming at a friendly.

OT: oh, yes, because giving the players the ability to act like jackasses to teammates is cause for concern, disregard the fact you are cutting things in half with weapons that are not being used for their original purpose.

I think it's more of you can shoot them, but it won't do any damage, as I feel the German government has issue with you being able to dismember other humans, despite the fact that the only people who would do it on purpose are what are known on the internet as MFDs, or "Massive Flaming Dickheads".

Hm, actually it seems NZ will get it on the 28th.

But then, being part of the PAL region, you get used to being last (or later) off the mark for releases of pretty much everything =S

...I'm buying the German vesion then.

Exort:

Delusibeta:

You should see China's reason behind banning WoW. Although, it was mainly because the Ninth city (WoW's China publisher at the time) didn't bride the right people.

I remember one of the reason was there is skeletons in the game, and they didn't want people to see human bones.

I think it was somehing like 'it's to disrespectful towards the dead'

EA did say that they were planning for a portable version of the game at some point and It's highly likely that it will be on the psp as opposed to the DS for obvious reasons, however, the dude writing this article most likely made a typo for ps3 since the psp version hasn't been "officially" announced yet.

Diamondback One:
So, for a country that has no problem having a large highway where there is no speed limit by law and just giggles whenever someone gets killed because their government's too incompetent to put up signs with a little number on it (and enforce it), they're pretty strict on a multiplayer video-game because it allows for friendly fire.

Hah, wow. Honestly.

if you can't control a car driving 200kmph you also can't control a car at 100kmph
and most accidents happen out of bad weather or driving incompetence rather than overspeeding

you're all so hung up on the simple term of "friendly fire"...sure that sounds stupid
but calling it "humans mutilating other humans" it gets more and more clear why to censor that

not that i'm pro censoring in any case but discarding it as "just friendly fire" is stupid in itself

therandombear:
right...how about Mad World then, Germany?

Never got released over here. I bought mine from England. ^^

And again, why do you guys keep saying it's the PSP version. As far as I know it's the console-version. I didnt even know there was a PSP-version on the way.

I'm actually kind of suprised they allowed dead space 2. I thought they would completely ban the sale of it. Guess I was wrong...

mazzjammin22:

My first thought.

I mean... well, pretty much what you said.

When did that happen?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here