Anne Hathaway Will Play Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Anne Hathaway Will Play Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises

The Love and Other Drugs star beat a bevy of actresses for the role opposite Christian Bale's Batman.

Christopher Nolan has finally cast the villains for The Dark Knight Rises, the third film in his Batman trilogy. Warner Bros. released an announcement confirming the casting of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, and further specifying that the already-cast Tom Hardy will be playing Bane.

Deadline quotes the studio's official announcement, which curiously omits a very specific word: "Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises. She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman." Bale is credited with his dual role, but there's no mention of Catwoman anywhere in the release. It's a little nit-picky, to be sure, but if they went to the trouble to mention Batman and Bruce Wayne, mentioning Selina Kyle without Catwoman seems significant.

According to Deadline, the release goes on to quote director Christopher Nolan, who gushes, "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story." Nolan continues to discuss the other revelation in today's announcement, saying "I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman's most formidable enemies." Bane is best known for breaking Batman's back in Batman #497, but it's improbable for Nolan to "complete [his] story" with a paraplegic Dark Knight. Paralyzing the man in a movie called The Dark Knight Rises seems cruel.

We'll find out either way when The Dark Knight Rises comes out on July 20, 2012.

Source: Deadline

I just lost all possible interest in the movie. There are few actors/actresses I consider to be quite as annoying and bad at what they do as Anne Hathaway. Fucking hell, I loved the first two, and now they gotta ruin it for me like this?

Bane and Catwoman for the final movie of the trilogy? Really?

I'll reserve judgement until I see the movie, but this wasn't really what I expected out of Nolan. I'll wait and see.

Bane? Bane!? BAAANE!?

NOOOOO!

call me blind but Anne makes a bad film less bad so I think it will work out

GrinningManiac:
Bane? Bane!? BAAANE!?

NOOOOO!

Aw c'mon. Bane from that movie was NOTHING like he is in the comics. I feel lazy, so I'll just link the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_(comics)
Basically he had managed to break Batman physically and psychologically in his debut against him.

Hey, who expected "Brokeback mountain" and "Knight's tale" star Ledger to give the Joker performance that he did?
So let's give Hathaway a chance and see the results...

Excellent choice, Hathaway is a stunning actress and comedienne, so count me excited for the news. I also trust Nolan pretty much implicitly even on the Bane issue, mostly because there is no chance in hell that he'd go the Schumacher route, but also because he's cast the infinitely talented Tom Hardy!

Let's not forget, people were upset that Burton cast Michelle Pfeiffer in the Catwoman role in the nineties, so it's not like there won't always be controversy towards whoever is in the role. But also because fanboys are easy to forget that the character requires more than just good looks, as Batman Returns proved.

Eh. Christopher Nolan's a good director so I think it'll work.

I mean, I despise Anne Hathaway and I don't really like the idea of Bane in this film, but then again no one liked the idea of Ledger as the Joker.

Elizabeth Grunewald:
It's a little nit-picky, to be sure, but if they went to the trouble to mention Batman and Bruce Wayne, mentioning Selina Kyle without Catwoman seems significant.

If I were to place a bet, I'd bet that the lack of "Catwoman" in the press-release is out of superstitious dread, like talking about the "Scottish Play" when in the theatre; hoping beyond hope that they can use the character again without invoking the revenant spirit of the Catwoman movie. (Didn't that one get like a 20% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes? I can't check here at the office.)

-- Steve

Bane feels like an odd choice. Maybe I'm showing my age but he still feels like a second string villain with exactly one claim to fame, and that was his debut story.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Selina to get some decent characterisation beyond eye candy/love interest/damsel in distress, but I'm not really expecting it. The Nolanverse is a bit of a boys club after all, and most versions of Catwoman are awful, unless written by Ed Brubaker or played by Michelle Pfeiffer.

Woo Bane! thats pretty epic. To have one of Batman's smartest and strongest opponents in what looks to be Nolans last Batman flick is pretty damn clever! Bravo on the villain.

Selina Kyle might not become Catwoman till the end of the movie, kinda like Harvey Dent didn't show himself as two face till the very end ^-^

I dont see her playing a strong character

hmmm, it is noteworthy that they have NO mention of her alter-ego. Also, the rumor was going around that there would be TWO female leads in it with one being a villain.

Tom Hardy seems to be an odd choice for Bane, but Bane was also supposed to be a smart guy in his debut. I guess Hardy wants to get some practice in playing a tough guy before he does Mad Max.

Its funny, I thought they wanted to use villains that hadn't been used in previous movies but these announced characters (as people know) have both been in a Batman movie from the 90's, not a complaint so much as an observation

At least its not Halle Berry...

Sinclose:

Aw c'mon. Bane from that movie was NOTHING like he is in the comics. I feel lazy, so I'll just link the wikipedia article:
Basically he had managed to break Batman physically and psychologically in his debut against him.

Exactly!
Schumacher's version was just stupid. They made him just a borderline retarded guy with muscles.
In the comics, Bane was a borderline genius. He broke down Batman psychologically by releasing all the inmates from Arkham and was even able to learn his secret identity, something that no one else seems to be able to do >>

Holy sh*t; I friggin' called it on Bane. It's a shame I can't find the post on the Escapist forums to show for it.

Edit: Wait a second... Anne Hathaway? As in the actress with the most distracting eyebrows in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland? Oy...

Maybe they didn't say she was cat woman so on the middle of the movie some people can go "Oh, so she's cat woman!, cool"
I had to google "Selina Kyle" (midway reading the article) to know who she was.

Jbird:
Holy sh*t; I friggin' called it on Bane. It's a shame I can't find the post on the Escapist forums to show for it.

I did as well! I'm hoping that The Dark Knight rises does have two separate villains. Bane is good, especially if they actually follow the route of using his origin story to show the growth of Batman as a character but I think it does need someone slightly more high profile as well, no idea who it could be though, especially following The Joker and Two Face In The Dark Knight.

Julianking93:

Sinclose:

Exactly!
Schumacher's version was just stupid. They made him just a borderline retarded guy with muscles.
In the comics, Bane was a borderline genius. He broke down Batman psychologically by releasing all the inmates from Arkham and was even able to learn his secret identity, something that no one else seems to be able to do >>

Would you believe I actually read every single solitary issue in that year long story arc? :p
It's loooooooooooong but it's very interesting!

And you'd be wrong about that part in bold, others have managed to figure out his identity. Ultimately though, in the 'Knightfall' story arc, it was Batman's ego that 'only he' could stop the outbroken inmates that caused his downfall, something Bane foresaw and exploited. If Nolan manages to make that aspect of the character(although Bruce did learn from it) appear in the script, it could make for an interesting ride...
Although I honestly doubt it.

After her turn in love and other drungs Hathaway seems like an amusing choice for a film called "The Dark Knight Rises" XD.

Sinclose:

Would you believe I actually read every single solitary issue in that year long story arc? :p

And you'd be wrong about that part in bold, others have managed to figure out his identity. Ultimately though, in the 'Knightfall' story arc, it was Batman's ego that 'only he' could stop the outbroken inmates that caused his downfall, something Bane foresaw and exploited. If Nolan manages to make that aspect of the character(although Bruce did learn from it) appear in the script, it could make for an interesting ride...

The bold part was more of a joke than actual fact :3

That would be quite interesting though. The whole ego behind Batman was a heavy theme in a lot of the comics I read but not something that has been shown a whole lot in any other media. I suppose people don't like to think Batman has such worldly flaws :P

Heath Ledger is dead, Harvey died at the end of The Dark Knight, and i doubt any replacement could fill the role Ledger did as the only good depiction of the Joker, where he came off as a real psychopath as opposed to some gimmicky comic villain. I can't see this movie being any good. It was The Dark Knight breaking away from the comical bullshit of Batman Begins that made it entertaining, and adding Bane is just begging for disaster.
...oh well. I guess it could be worse. They could let Jim Carey play The Riddler again.

Mmm, I wander if Azrael will show up on this. I was talking to my dad after watching TDK and I thought a sequel would be good if it followed the Knightfall arc with Batman getting injured and a new vigilante taking his place. The vigilante goes out of control and Batman has to take him down having pretty much a Batman versus Batman showdown. Maybe a little more climatic than the one in the books but you get what I mean.

I'm interested at the moment.

I actually like Anne Hathaway, personally. I've enjoyed her performances in the movies she's been in that I've watched. I have no objections to this announcement.

Julianking93:
He broke down Batman psychologically by releasing all the inmates from Arkham and was even able to learn his secret identity, something that no one else seems to be able to do >>

If, you know, you count Tim Drake, Riddler, and Hugo Strange as "no one".

There might be a few others that have pulled it off, too.

Julianking93:

Sinclose:

The bold part was more of a joke than actual fact :3

That would be quite interesting though. The whole ego behind Batman was a heavy theme in a lot of the comics I read but not something that has been shown a whole lot in any other media. I suppose people don't like to think Batman has such worldly flaws :P

Well to be fair that theme has been dealt with enough that it's become irrelevant in most modern Batman comics. Bruce learned from all his mistakes, and moved on.

But since these are the early days of Batman in the 'Nolanverse', it could happen. But I doubt Nolan's writing and Bale's Batman would ever consider this aspect.

Cpt Corallis:

Jbird:

I did as well! I'm hoping that The Dark Knight rises does have two separate villains. Bane is good, especially if they actually follow the route of using his origin story to show the growth of Batman as a character but I think it does need someone slightly more high profile as well, no idea who it could be though, especially following The Joker and Two Face In The Dark Knight.

As did I, Bane is right up Nolan's street for this franchise. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Scarecrow yet either which I sure as hell hope he comes back and works with Bane for a little while. Cillian Murphey is too damn good not to bring back...

Bane is a great villain. Possibly the only one that is as smart as Wayne and as physically menacing. Anyone who thinks Bane isn't a good villain for the final movie in a trilogy clearly knows nothing about him.

Space Jawa:

If, you know, you count Tim Drake, Riddler, and Hugo Strange as "no one".

There might be a few others that have pulled it off, too.

See my last post for that. [quote="Sinclose" post="7.258294.9720687
Well to be fair that theme has been dealt with enough that it's become irrelevant in most modern Batman comics. Bruce learned from all his mistakes, and moved on.

But since these are the early days of Batman in the 'Nolanverse', it could happen. But I doubt Nolan's writing and Bale's Batman would ever consider it this aspect.[/quote]Maybe not. There are tons of rumours going around right now but no one can be certain. Just have to wait and see ^_^

Hopefully he'll recognise and utilise Bane's intelligence from the comics rather than just a mindless brute. But yeah, I liked having Bane as a villain.

Catwoman? It was pretty obvious it was going to be anyway.

Sovvolf:
Mmm, I wander if Azrael will show up on this. I was talking to my dad after watching TDK and I thought a sequel would be good if it followed the Knightfall arc with Batman getting injured and a new vigilante taking his place. The vigilante goes out of control and Batman has to take him down having pretty much a Batman versus Batman showdown. Maybe a little more climatic than the one in the books but you get what I mean.

I'm interested at the moment.

I think that would be a pretty satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, especially if it expanded on the guys pretending to be Batman with guns at the start of TDK.

Sinclose:

But since these are the early days of Batman in the 'Nolanverse', it could happen. But I doubt Nolan's writing and Bale's Batman would ever consider it this aspect.

I dunno man, Nolan's Bruce is becoming more arrogant than ever and it would make perfect sense for the series to explore this. After condeming any other vigilantes in the city, acting entirely selfishly to attempt and consequently losing Rachel, losing Harvey Dent and proclaiming himself the dark knight (in all but words from himself) and massive abuse of his own power (sonar phones) I'd say he is on one way trip to arroganceville...

The Bane of the comics used this to his advantage and broke him. Watching him learn from his mistakes (after a complimentry patronising speech from Alfred), may give us the titular rising dark knight.

I can see how Bane would pose a much more direct threat than Dr. Strange but I don't think he really fits into the universe Nolan was trying to create for his trilogy. It's weird also, how Selina Kyle is mentioned but Catwoman isn't. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer to see Hush on the silver screen...

DevilWolf47:
Heath Ledger is dead, Harvey died at the end of The Dark Knight, and i doubt any replacement could fill the role Ledger did as the only good depiction of the Joker, where he came off as a real psychopath as opposed to some gimmicky comic villain. I can't see this movie being any good. It was The Dark Knight breaking away from the comical bullshit of Batman Begins that made it entertaining, and adding Bane is just begging for disaster.

So much for me to disagree with here.
First, do you mean comical as in the movie was full of jokes?
And there was nothing "bullshit" about Batman Begins, it just happened to get a sequel that was better than it.
Also Ledger's wasn't the only good portrayal of the Joker. He took the approach of sociopath dressed like a clown with a sick sense of humor while other people took the approach of a clown that also happened to be completely insane.

GrinningManiac:
Bane? Bane!? BAAANE!?
NOOOOO!

Please tell me that's not how you think Bane really is? ;(
He's one of the most interesting villains in the Batman mythos. That movie just portrayed him insanely wrong.
He's smarter then Batman. Stronger. Faster. He's the perfect enemy.

I'm happy he's getting a second chance to redeem himself.
Now I just hope we get a back-break in!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or