Scottish Convicts Turn PS3s and Computer Mice Into Illicit Cell Phone Chargers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scottish Convicts Turn PS3s and Computer Mice Into Illicit Cell Phone Chargers

An ingenuous bit of technology hacking by inmates has forced staff at a UK prison to keep a close eye on computer equipment.

Prisoners at the Addiwell prison in Scotland discovered a way to charge their cell phones using a computer mouse and a PS3. By plugging the mice into the PS3 USB ports and manipulating the wires, the inmates discovered that they could supply power to their phones without the guards finding out.

A source at the prison said that at first, the prison staff couldn't figure out why so many mice were going missing. It wasn't until they discovered some actually plugged into the PS3 consoles during cell searches that they realized what was going on. According to the source, the prison has instituted a policy which says that after any session involving computers, the prisoners can't leave until all the mice are accounted for.

HMP Addiwell is a privately run prison built in 2008. Inmates supposedly refer to it as "Addison," after the Raddision hotel chain, because its facilities are more modern and comfortable than the typical UK Prison. PS3 consoles are apparently just one part of this, as cells also have flat screen televisions, and en suite bathroom facilities.

Obviously, I'm not about to condone the prisoners behavior - they stole mice to power phones they weren't ever supposed to have - but I can't help but be a little impressed by their ingenuity. As sci-fi author William Gibson once said, "the street [or in this case, the prison] finds its own uses for things."

Source: The Daily Record via Geek

I have to admit, that's pretty damn smart.

If I ever committed a crime, I would definitely do it in the UK.

Logan Westbrook:
It wasn't until they noticed discovered some actually plugged into the PS3 consoles during cell searches that they realized what was going on.

(Emphasis mine.) A mite redundant, no?

Further proof that locking people up is a great way to bring natural human ingenuity to the surface. Problem is, that's exactly when you don't want it to.

That is beyond amazing they figured that out. But what the.. I want in this prison! That isn't a punishment, it's a vacation.

We give our convicts PS3's?

As a Scot I'm surprised, I'd have thought just deep frying all the wrong doers would've been better :p

But yeah it's rather smart.

Being Scottish myself, it doesn't suprise me, We're pretty good at adapting things for our own uses some how.

This is fucking ridiculous. Inmates in a prison being allowed these things, they live more comfortably then some people on the outside!

ps3's? flat screen tv's? those convicts have a better gaming set up than I do :\ Why the hell do prisoners need that much comfort?

Heh heh, nice to see we have a higher class of criminal (!)

Wedlock49:
This is fucking ridiculous. Inmates in a prison being allowed these things, they live more comfortably then some people on the outside!

JS ibanez:
ps3's? flat screen tv's? those convicts have a better gaming set up than I do :\ Why the hell do prisoners need that much comfort?

Because our justice system is an ass.

Can a Scottish escapist please give me their address so that I may be able to come to their house, try to rob it, fail epically, and go to that Prison?

JS ibanez:

I thought they had to pay for those privileges? I'm near certain they aren't given them for free...

Scottish prison sounds fun.
By the way if you plug your phone in to your ps3 with a usb cable it will charge so...they didn't need to do this.

D_987:

JS ibanez:

I thought they had to pay for those privileges? I'm near certain they aren't given them for free...

Mafia priviledges anyone ?

Well that prison doesn't sound so bad... wow.

And yeah, not really surprised. Except I doubt you'd actually need the mouse to do it, just splice the USB wire.

HMP Addiwell is a privately run prison built in 2008. Inmates supposedly refer to it as "Addison," after the Raddision hotel chain, because its facilities are more modern and comfortable than the typical UK Prison. PS3 consoles are apparently just one part of this, as cells also have flat screen televisions, and en suite bathroom facilities.

I'm...

I'm just speechless...

http://dparchitecturallighting.com/pdf2/index.php?pid=321
there cells are nicer then my doom room :(

D_987:

JS ibanez:

Well I dont know much about prison life, but is it possible to make money when you're locked up?

Orcus_35:

D_987:

JS ibanez:

Mafia priviledges anyone ?

I think it's more likely a white collar prison - for inmates not convicted of violent crimes, the majority won't be considered a danger to the public. Thus they're more likely to gain greater benefits than the stereotypical prison - since prison is meant to be either based around reform or locking someone away for the public's safety, not punishment, as the stereotype decrees.

Furthermore, this is a private prison, not a state prison, that means the private company that runs the prison [and pays for it] can include what they wish; obviously the facilities will match the prisoners level of perceived threat, and judging from the description [which may not be accurate, who says these "En-suite bathrooms" are in every cell?] it's a prison from those perceived to be no threat to the public and are probably due for release soon.

Are these cordless mice they're using? And isn't prison supposed to be a punishment, or is that just one those cultural differences across the pond?
These British Prisons sound like life in college dorms minus the essays and hangovers.

First off...PS3s, flat screen TVs, en suite bathrooms? They shouldn't have that, and if they do, why would you expect them NOT to feel entitled to cell phones?

Second off...expensive charger. Guess the PS3 CAN be pirated.

Mackheath:

Wedlock49:

JS ibanez:

Because our justice system is an ass.

Privately run prison. The government won't have paid for any of this, its all from the owner.

AndrewC:
We give our convicts PS3's?

As a Scot I'm surprised, I'd have thought just deep frying all the wrong doers would've been better :p

But yeah it's rather smart.

As a fellow Scot, I understand what you mean. It would seem nowadays that criminals get better stuff than most lower class families :/

HankMan:
Are these cordless mice they're using? And isn't prison supposed to be a punishment, or is that just one those cultural differences across the pond?
These British Prisons sound like life in college dorms minus the essays and hangovers.

And the fact that you can never leave. EVER.

That is friggin genius, though.

Street-wise, these people are genius. Inventive and creative with the limited resources. Well done!

its a report from the daily record...

let me explain how language works in the daily record:

"en suite bathroom facilities" in all probablity = a urinal in the same room the beds in

Logan Westbrook:
PS3 consoles are apparently just one part of this, as cells also have flat screen televisions, and en suite bathroom facilities.

Each cell has a flatscreen TV, PS3, and en suite bathroom...they live better than most people I know. Seriously wondering if my life would be better if I started robbing places for a living. If I get away with it I've made a load of money, if I don't I get sent to live in a place better than my current home. It seems like the height of insanity that I'm not out committing crimes right now.

mikozero:
its a report from the daily record...

let me explain how language works in the daily record:

"en suite bathroom facilities" in all probablity = a urinal in the same room the beds in

Possibly but I can't see any way they can twist the fact that guards noticed mice plugged into PS3s in the cells. That seems like there's no wriggle room at least some of the cells have PS3s which must also have TVs.

Here's more information on life in that prison.

Article:
"A prisoner's day will be as full as they want it to be, with financial incentives. Prisoners can be paid between 10 and 15 a week with bonuses on top."....

...."When we went to buy the TVs we could only buy flatscreen, which are only 15 inches, as you can't get the bulky ones and the Freeview is built into TVs now. You can't not have it....

...Every cell window has adjustable ventilation, there is a state-of-the-art Microsoft computer room, a library, a massive gym hall and a fitness suite....

They live in luxury and they get paid, as well as being given free education on any trade they're interested in, I really am feeling like all my long and honest work is a waste.

Somebody in England please grow a brain and take PS3's out of jail cells.

I guess heaven is where the whole legal system is English.

man its like star trek just make a a solution to any problem tech problem. "sir there is going to be a warp core breach and we cant stop it"sulu "Sulu pull your self together. Mr.scott give me a roll of duck tape. warp core breach my ass"kirk

HankMan:

Did you actually read the four--count them! four!--paragraphs on this page before trolling? How would you suppose they use the wires from a cordless mouse to charge their cell batteries? If they were cordless, the mice would have AA's or something similar, and wouldn't need to be connected to the PS3 via USB...the entire ingenious idea being USB carries power as well as information, and that a basic circuit can be completed to connect to the cell battery.

But, hey, it's a PS3: nobody cares!

(^That was a quote from a post Hankman made that got him probation.)

Oskamunda:

HankMan:

Did you actually read the four--count them! four!--paragraphs on this page before trolling? How would you suppose they use the wires from a cordless mouse to charge their cell batteries? If they were cordless, the mice would have AA's or something similar, and wouldn't need to be connected to the PS3 via USB...the entire ingenious idea being USB carries power as well as information, and that a basic circuit can be completed to connect to the cell battery.

But, hey, it's a PS3: nobody cares!

(^That was a quote from a post Hankman made that got him probation.)

I just wanted to know how this worked, but i'll be sure not to ask honest questions again whenever you're online! sheesh

Fearzone:
Somebody in England please grow a brain and take PS3's out of jail cells.

I guess heaven is where the whole legal system is English.

Scotland =/= England. They are two countries of the United Kingdom, not the same place.

This is not something that's difficult to accomplish. If you know how the mice and PS3's work.

Whereas the guy figuring this out was smarter than average, doing it once you know how isn't very difficult.

Also, they're obviously not cordless mice. Seeing the cord is the entire point in this.

Also, to whoever asking why inmates are given PS3s: It keeps them nice and complacent, thus reducing staff needed to keep them in check, which results in lower costs to society.

Chances are they have 15 inch flatscreen TV's, PS3s... and a toilet in the cell. None of this is massively expensive compared to the overall cost of incarceration, and could very well help reduce costs by reducing unrest and violent incidents.

man those are pretty comfortable conditions for convicts...
even if they do have PS3s

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or