Doom Co-Creators Get Social

Doom Co-Creators Get Social

id Software co-founders John Romero and Tom Hall are together again at Loot Drop, a new game studio dedicated to social game development.

For most of us, the names John Romero and Tom Hall inspire hellish visions of rampaging demons, heavy weaponry and copious amounts of blood and gore. For good reason; as two of the four co-founders of id Software, the pair were key players in the blood-soaked FPS revolution heralded by games like Doom and Quake. But those days are long gone and they now appear interested in making a splash in an entirely different emerging videogame market: that of the social.

Loot Drop will be focused on the development of social games on Facebook and has already signed a deal with publisher RockYou, which is turning back to the social game space after spending last year dedicated solely to its ad network business. RockYou will publish, promote and maintain the game.

Romero and Hall have a long history together, beginning at id and running through Ion Storm, Monkeystone Games and Midway. But that doesn't explain why two pioneers of the guns-n-guts school of gaming are so determined to make some noise in the casual-social arena.

"I really like the faster cycles where you can respond a lot faster to the users," Romero told VentureBeat. "We are not interested at all in going back to the normal game industry cycle where it takes years to do a game. This audience is unbelievably massive, and we are very early in its history. I feel like it is 1981 again, and the industry is ready for an explosion of creativity."

Details about what Loot Drop is working on for RockYou or when it will be ready weren't revealed.

Interesting, although I'd much prefer them to work on Doom 4 >.>.

Ah well I'll give it a look on Facebook. Eventually...

You seem to have run out of rockets, you can either wait 5 minutes, or pay $500000000

Daikatana.

I just wanted to say this before anyone else did.

My GOD look at that hair. It really was the golden age back then.

Damn, they look silly.

Am I really going to have to suck it down again? I don't like doing that, John.

He's about to make social gaming his bitch.

Buccura:

:)

It seems people will never forget this.

Buccura:

Dammit, i was going to go with "John Romero invites you to be made his bitch, accept? Decline?" John Carmack likes this : P

Everybody makes mistakes. Daikatana was amplified because of the expectations heaped upon Romero by Doom and Quake. Hell, I was pissed off at the guy for years for sucking Looking Glass Studios into the Ion Storm gravity well. And although I don't expect he'll ever again make a game I'll have any interest in playing, at least not as long as he's on this social/casual kick, I think it's time to give the man a break on the whole "make you his bitch" thing.

Tom Hall, for the record, has been cool throughout, and looks much better since he shaved his head.

Well thanks for saying this in advance. Despite your history, I have to mark you on "The List" of mines.

Thanks Escapist!

Andy Chalk:
Romero and Hall have a long history together, beginning at id and running through Ion Storm, Monkeystone Games and Midway. But that doesn't explain why two pioneers of the guns-n-guts school of gaming are so determined to make some noise in the casual-social arena.

Allow me to summarize the problem I see with this.

Andy Chalk:
id

Crowd: "YAY!"

Andy Chalk:
Ion Storm

Crowd: "BOOO!" (With cries of "Deus Ex!" and one guy screaming "Anachronox!" mixed in.)

Andy Chalk:
Monkeystone Games

Crowd: "Who?"

Andy Chalk:
and Midway

Crowd: Descends into chaos with a mix of "Who?", "They were at Midway?", "Isn't Midway bankrupt?" and "MORTAL KOMBAT!!! BRUH NUH NUHNUHNUH NUH!"

The track record starts strong, gets rocky, then... kinda... peters out.

I'm still sad that no Doom 4 was shown at QuakeCon 2010. I was insanely looking forward to that.

You know who I'd like to see start making social games?

Nintendo. They'd make the Wii Sports of social games. ...or the Wii Music. Either way, it'd be entertaining.

Back to real life, I find their reasoning the most interesting. While Schafer &co have run to the refuge of XBLA, and many other developers are finding good success as indie companies, these guys are acting like social games are the only games with quick turnaround and innovation. Perhaps they are just trapped in a certain way of thinking about regular console/PC games. Either way, having more developers that are not Zynga is a good thing. Now they just have to make actual games instead of experiments in behavioral psychology and it'll all be good.

This could be terribly interesting or just plain terrible.

Only time will tell.

But my number one question is:

Do I have to shoot John Romero with a rocket launcher to win the game?

Andy Chalk:
"We are not interested at all in going back to the normal game industry cycle where it takes years to do a game."

After Daikatana I'd be amazed if anyone would ever have trusted Romero with several years worth of development budget again.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here