Rumor: Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Raven Team Up For Modern Warfare 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Raven Team Up For Modern Warfare 3

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is coming out in November, even if Activision has to pull studios off other projects to make it happen.

Back in October, analysts predicted that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 would be a Sledgehammer game, and it turns out, they might be kind of right. Modern Warfare 3 is an Infinity Ward game, but it might also be a Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software game as well, if rumors are to be believed.

According to sources close to the situation, at Activision's behest, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer are sharing the responsibility for the single player game equally, and Raven is tackling the multiplayer portion of the game. The game is supposedly well into production, and on track for the usual Call of Duty November release window. The decision to assign the two studios to the game is not without repercussions however, as it is apparently having a cascade effect on other projects. Activision has had to put Sledgehammer's next project, a Call of Duty spin-off that it had started working on before the trouble with West and Zampella, on hold.

Sledgehammer, or at least its founders Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey, have previously worked on games like Dead Space and Dante's Inferno. Raven has a long history of making first person shooters, streatching back nearly twenty years. Most recently it created Singularity and Wolfenstein.

If these rumors are true, then there's bound to be some concerns over the how this will affect the game itself. With the game potentially already half way through its development, the most likely scenario would seem to be Sledgehammer and Raven are essentially extra bodies to help Infinity Ward get things done.

Source: LA Times via CVG

Three studios?! are they kidding? I know the Modern Warefare series likes to be big and all but Jesus, is IW really in such a place that it can't manage to make a big game or do they simply want to get it out as fast as possible. This just sounds like a recipie for both an epicly infated budget and a really muddled and commitee designed game. This does raise a load of questions, not least about the churn-out shedual the MW games seem to be on and the degree to which IW has been effected by recent events.

If true, this is a really weird move on Activison's part and one which shows of they really don't want to make anything except CoD.

No matter how bad or good it is, it'll still sell a bijillion copies

And that's why we cant have new games.

"We have three development studios...well, it's two more than normal, innit? 'Cause if you need that extra edge when you're at one--"

"Well, why not just use a better dev? Wouldn't that solve the problem?"

"...These go to three..."

Scrumpmonkey:
Three studios?! are they kidding? I know the Modern Warefare series likes to be big and all but Jesus, is IW really in such a place that it can't manage to make a big game or do they simply want to get it out as fast as possible. This just sounds like a recipie for both an epicly infated budget and a really muddled and commitee designed game. This does raise a load of questions, not least about the churn-out shedual the MW games seem to be on and the degree to which IW has been effected by recent events.

If true, this is a really weird move on Activison's part and one which shows of they really don't want to make anything except CoD.

You do know how many senior staff(been there for the duration not all management lol) IW lost after its debacle last year don't you? 48! thats out of a maybe 100 person development team. That kind of restructuring is massive to deal with. Its not remotely surprising.

Why won't CoD just die so other studios will stop trying to copy-cat their asses and bring out something fresh!?

It doesn't matter how many developers that fire at it, the average customer really doesn't care, just sees "Oh, Modern Warfare 3. I like Call of Duty, I'll get it" and buys it without thinking.

bahumat42:

Scrumpmonkey:

You do know how many senior staff(been there for the duration not all management lol) IW lost after its debacle last year don't you? 48! thats out of a maybe 100 person development team. That kind of restructuring is massive to deal with. Its not remotely surprising.

Maybe they can finally have a full team and create a good unique sequel to Cod4! Haha just kidding, The Call of duty franchise has been sucked drier than a nursemaids tit. *sigh* I really wish we had more new IP's lately. The old ones just arn't doing it.

bahumat42:

Scrumpmonkey:

Well yes that was my point, Activision put up a big "Business as usual" sign after the whole affair and i think this goes some way to showing that was wrong and they might have killed one of their best developers.

There would always be a massive question mark over wether the new incarnation of IW could deliver and we might be starting to see that it can't, having to bring 2 more developers on board to make a project happen is not a good sign that IW is a functioning developer of the calibur we saw in the CoD4 days. Infact i suspect that the new companies may end up doing much of the heavy lifting since "1/2 a singleplayer campaign" in a Cod game is actually not very much content and raises the idea that this really isn't an IW project at all but also the roubling idea that IW can no longer do big projects...

I'll buy it, because I'm a sheep for FPS's. I just hope that at least some talented people stayed at IW, and we get a Modern Warfare, not a BLOPS, the story I found of which was awful. Made MW2 look good.

Hmmm, slightly concerning actually, cause 2 other studio's helping with MW3 kinda suggests that Infinity Ward is really in trouble at this point, having had it's guts pulled out after about half the team packed up and left...

Honestly? From my standpoint it sounds less like "three developers cooperating on MW3" and more like "Infinity Ward coughing it's dying breath, using Sledgehammer/Raven as life support to finish MW trilogy".

Still, I hope the game turns out to be good as, unlike about 99% of Escapists from what I can tell, I actually liked Modern Warfare 2... so, yeah :P

If they make a non sucky multiplayer and a single player that is not going to take me a Saturday to run through and still leave me time to go out in the evening, then fair enough lets see what they can do.

I dunno I kinda like the MW series and after Black ops Modern Warfare 2 looked like it deserved the money it raked in.

OT: This is going to be a failure you saw what happened with MoH when one team worked on the single player and the other on the multiplayer. Now with 2 on the single player and one on the multiplayer this is just not going to end well.... But IGN is going to rate it 10/10 because it's Kewl o'Dooty and 8 year olds who scream at their idiot parents are going to buy 10 copies of the game...

Yeah! RAVEN. Please attempt to hijack the development process and turn the game into Modern Warfare 6: Rouge Spear.

Three developers. Thats like a movie having three directors, that he never worked. The game is going to be all over the place if they have three different developers working on it at the same time.

This is incredibly sketchy, raven hasn't done anything good in a while, sledgehammer are the new kids on the block with developers new to this kind of FPS and IW is a scattered mess with its A team all buggered off to respawn. Really really really thinking this will suck balls something horrid.

I still expect a second CoD game this year.

Isaac The Grape:
Yeah! RAVEN. Please attempt to hijack the development process and turn the game into Modern Warfare 6: Rouge Spear.

Man, everyone uses spears, so overpowered. I prefer the claymore class.

This game will shatter sales records left and right, despite that we can almost fucking guarantee that it's gameplay will essentially be Black Ops with a couple of extra features, which will make this studio joint operation even more hilarious:

"It took three fucking studios to make this?!

Isaac The Grape:

YEAH RAVEN!!!
Singulairty was my favourite game last year!!! Bring it ooonnn!!!!

IW and Raven team up? Sweet.

o lordy ppl have to sit through at least 4 splash screens when booting up the game?! lordy no! XD

keep scraping that barrel!

If these rumours are true, the alleged re-staffing of Infinity Ward is bullshit or severely incomplete.

So, it looks like it's going to be a Sledgehammer/Raven game. Nothing wrong with that, but, really, I don't expect much in terms of campaign.

Still, of course, I'm going to buy it. No way in hell I'm missing a new developer's major entry into my favorite series.

DTWolfwood:
o lordy ppl have to sit through at least 4 splash screens when booting up the game?! lordy no! XD

keep scraping that barrel!

Oh, yes, that one flaw you deemed you should mention that wasn't even there for some of the games with the CoD franchise.

Totally bottom of the barrel right there.

This will either go really well, revamp the entire series and give us all something new to gawp at or it will be a massive commercial failure. I doubt there will be a middle ground.

You guys are out of your head.. This is the best news evar! I mean Sledgehammer, IW & Raven working on MW3? Come on this is going to be bigger and better than the 1992 USA Olympic dream team. Its going to run roughshod over everything in its path.. Seriously you guys.. its 3 teams coming together to make one awesome game. The only real problem is that its going to take till November for it to come out. I mean comeon really.. With three teams of this calibur working together you know they can have it all together by May.. that way we can have them working together again for MW4 and we can all buy that in november.. Comeon whos with me!!!

Ok to summarise:

This games has:
-a fixed November release date
-Started later than every other project
-THREE different studios having to work together for the first time
-First studio, IW, is utterly gutted and filled in with newly recruited people
-Sledgehammer is such a brand new studio that has NEVER made a game before as this team, especially not a First person shooter
-Raven on multiplayer has never done a good multiplayer before
-Highest demand of the year
-So much competition with shooters in 2011 with:
Killzone 3
Resistance 3
SOCOM 4
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Gears of War 3
Portal 2
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
Max Payne 3
Bulletstorm
Red Faction: Apocalypse
Brink
Crysis 2
F.E.A.R 3

This is a disaster waiting to happen. I hope Activision get all they deserve.

Isaac The Grape:

i think im one of about three people on earth that wants some more Singularity... i loved that game in the absence of any HL2:EP3 it was an... interesting and unique use of Time based mechanics that attempted to move away from TimePowahs=BulletTime.

Nnnnnnnah, I just put down my preorder for Uncharted 3 the other day (I was picking up LBP2, so I thought I might as well) and I'll be getting Skyrim too. Oh, and I don't like CoD either. So no, I don't think I'll be getting MW3 at all.

Sounds like they're rushing it. Not a good sign.

viranimus:
You guys are out of your head.. This is the best news evar! I mean Sledgehammer, IW & Raven working on MW3? Come on this is going to be bigger and better than the 1992 USA Olympic dream team. Its going to run roughshod over everything in its path.. Seriously you guys.. its 3 teams coming together to make one awesome game. The only real problem is that its going to take till November for it to come out. I mean comeon really.. With three teams of this calibur working together you know they can have it all together by May.. that way we can have them working together again for MW4 and we can all buy that in november.. Comeon whos with me!!!

My face when reading that:

2/10 for getting a reaction image but something had to be done. You put the effort in.

This is going to be one hell of a trainwreck.

Logan Westbrook:
If these rumors are true, then there's bound to be some concerns over the how this will affect the game itself. With the game potentially already half way through its development, the most likely scenario would seem to be Sledgehammer and Raven are essentially extra bodies to help Infinity Ward get things done. It's possible that it's a genuine creative collaboration between the three studios, but that sounds like it would slow things down, not speed them up, which rather defeats the purpose of putting the studios on the game in the first place.

How does that old proverb go... "Too many cooks spoils the broth"

Little Duck:
This will either go really well, revamp the entire series and give us all something new to gawp at or it will be a massive commercial failure. I doubt there will be a middle ground.

either way... we win

viranimus:

ugh... so many flaws with that statement...
il do a list:

1.its got serious competition this year from everywhere... see a post from treblaine above showning em all.

2.3 teams means three different game making styles, three different management styles, three different ideas for what the game should be... this will be a mess.

3.the other two, Sledgehammer, and Raven arnt top tier dev teams. Ravens made some good games but this is all new to Sledgehammer. oh and IW isnt realy a studio anymore... its gutted and dead... this is Life Support for em... nothing more.

4.if they have it all together by May then i would aplaude them then tell em to look for the millions of Bugs that they would have made.

5.unless you havnt noticed... the Escapist Forums arnt a hotbed of CoD fans...

I call a developing storm of consumer fatigue off the coast of the Call of Duty plateau.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here