X-Men Director Hates "Leaked" Movie Photo

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

X-Men Director Hates "Leaked" Movie Photo

If you hated the leaked cast photo for X-Men: First Class, you're not alone. The movie's director didn't like it, either.

Earlier this week, a few cast photos from X-Men: First Class were leaked onto the Web. While there was a lot of initial excitement at this news, the actual images were pretty underwhelming, featuring some pretty unattractive costumes/makeup/Photoshop work. It turns out that the movie's director, Matthew Vaughn, was equally unimpressed with the photos.

Speaking to /Film, Vaughn explained what happened when the image wound up on the internet:

"I freaked out on them yesterday. I don't know where the hell that came from. I don't think it's a Fox image. It's not a pre-approved image. When I found out, I said, what the fuck is this shit, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well. I agree. It's like a bad photoshop, which maybe it was by someone. It didn't reflect the movie. I was shocked when I saw it. I was like 'Jesus Christ'...

"I'm a fan of X-Men. We're not bastardizing X-Men, I'm trying to get them back to being whole again. The costumes are blue and yellow as well, because fuck it, lets take it back it the original. Also, by the way, those costumes are hardly in the movie."

Vaughn released some new, better, photos of X-Men: First Class -showing Michael Fassbender as Magneto and James McAvoy as Professor X - which you can see below. I'm a huge fan of Vaughn's films. I loved the hell out of Layer Cake, Stardust, and Kick-Ass, and I've got some high hopes for this new movie. Based on the photos Vaughn's put out this week, it certainly looks like the film has the potential to be a lot better than Brett Ratner's X-Men film.

Source: /FILM via io9

What was so bad about X-Men 3 again?

I thought it was perfectly fine...

Not as good as 1 or 2. But still good.

What do I know, though?

I actually liked X-Men: Evolution, too.

Wow, the guy is really angry, lol

But...But Xavier shouldn't have HAIR! :0
Meh, I'm an X-man junkie, they introduced me to Marvel, so I'm really looking fowards to them.
And is that supposed to be Emma Frost in the "leaked Image?"

I can understand his panic.

Oh thank god. The new ones are soooooo much better then the leacked ones. It made me want to vomit from my eyeballs.

josemlopes:
Wow, the guy is really angry, lol

Cussing a lot =/= angry. I gotta say I like his fucking style.

..Ew.

EW.

EWWW.

Those costumes look really fucking disgusting. And, only Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan can pull off the Magneto/X duo. At least, in my opinion.

Onyx Oblivion:

What do I know, though?

And here I thought I was the only human being alive who didn't hate X-Men 3.

And I loved X-Men: Evolution. High five, Onyx!

OT: ... Still not looking too good there.

I think Magneto looks a little... well, dumb in that picture. His helmet just seems like a cheap prop someone would wear for dress-up. Xavier looks great though.

McAvoy is okay (an almost Potterish young Xavier) but wearing the helmet without the cape just makes Fassbender look like a dork.

vansau:
"The costumes are blue and yellow as well, because fuck it, lets take it back it the original."

Oh, cool.

"Also, by the way, those costumes are hardly in the movie."

Um... so like the original, except not..?

Anyway, looks bad. Frost in particular looks like a cosplayer. A bad cosplayer.

OH COME ON!

Another damn origin story movie? I'm getting so tired of this; They take a whole movie to introduce characters, another to establish them, and when they FINALLY get to a point where the characters can focus on a problem through the whole movie instead of a fraction of the movie at the end, the do a "reboot"!

This is driving me nuts, and I'm not even a comic book reader! Same with spider man, we saw where he came from and instead of fixing the problems with 3 and focusing on one villain in the 4th, we have to see "Spiderman: Twilight saga" where he's an angsty teenager in high school AGAIN. Now with X-Men. Ugh, it's a shameless attempt to get in on all that sparkley vampire money by using actors pulled from the Abercombe & Fitch catalogue for a prequel.

Ahahahaha. '..what the fuck is this shit...'

What's so fantastic about the official photos?

Gotta say I'm underwhelmed by them too...

Then again I'm of the mind that The X-men movies were fine...
Don't get me wrong, Last Stand was and always will be a flaming heap of shit... Story-wise.

As for the overall look and theme, it was fine. Brett Ratner didn't take away too much of the style that Bryan Singer created in the first two films (something I believe he did masterfully).

Singer knew exactly what the X-men brought to life should look like and was respectful to the source material.

Ratner saw what Singer had made and I guess decided it wasn't good enough? So he did his own thing with it.

I won't deny that he maybe researched some characters from the comics, but what he did with them just wasn't right.

Also! Bit of advise, Ratner, when you have two characters who're related in some way in the same film, same location, maybe having them interact at all would have been a good idea, instead of settling for an internet reference gag... I'm talking about Proff. X and Juggernaught.

They're adopted brothers! Would anyone have thought that from watching Last Stand? 'Cos I wouldn't have!

But yeah, I've rambled. Personally, I don't think a re-boot/prequal was needed, a retcon of the 3rd movie perhaps. Followed quickly by getting Singer back in the director's chair to fix the problem.

All in all, can't say I'm too interested in what's coming.

:O A bullet bending faun is Professor X? I _have_ to see this movie. ^ ^

Onyx Oblivion:

What do I know, though?

Edit 'cause I mixed up titles. :(

X-Men three didn't have Nightcrawler though, I like that bouncy dude.

Hmm... still not looking all that great, but these are just early shots so I shall judge not until final product I do see.

HankMan:
the helmet without the cape just makes Fassbender look like a dork.

Disaster Button:
I think Magneto looks a little... well, dumb in that picture. His helmet just seems like a cheap prop someone would wear for dress-up.

Agreed

Picture 2. That's Magneto??????????
Picture 3: Why is Peter Parker in it?

Disaster Button:
I think Magneto looks a little... well, dumb in that picture. His helmet just seems like a cheap prop someone would wear for dress-up. Xavier looks great though.

I thought that too, but I've noticed that in "leaked" photos the props usually look like dollar-store-grade pieces of shit.

ShadowsofHope:
..Ew.

EW.

EWWW.

Those costumes look really fucking disgusting. And, only Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan can pull off the Magneto/X duo. At least, in my opinion.

Didn't Patrick kinda get blown up in X-men 3? Or is this movie about the past?

But anywho I would love to see Ricky Gervais as a X-men mutant.
Think of the hillarities!
But back to the topic, yes the costumes are disgusting, the makeup looks like it was splurted on and they look like mole people.

Why does Xavier look homeless and douchebaggy? I mean, he looks like one of those people that tries to look like a skater punk.

And why does Magneto's helmet look like its too big for him?

Though... I love hte comment. Talk about freak out.

Man, people sure are quick to judge how these new superhero movies will be. An image here a casting call there and everybodies about to write it off. At least wait for a trailer.

Batman hasn't even started filming and people are already freaking out.

Onyx Oblivion:

What do I know, though?

I think people just went way overboard with the hate; when I finally saw it, it wasn't that bad! It was pretty enjoyable in my eyes.

Miles better than that god awful Wolverine: Origins film anyway...

...I don't think these "official" images are any better than the Photoshopped one, if you asked me. And didn't Xavier lose his hair as he developed his powers?

For.I.Am.Mad:
Man, people sure are quick to judge how these new superhero movies will be. An image here a casting call there and everybodies about to write it off. At least wait for a trailer.

Batman hasn't even started filming and people are already freaking out.

I think people are upset about the direction this movie is going. People don't want prequels. It was bad enough when George Lucas did it. Reboots are a little better because at least you don't already know where everyone's going to wind up.

Sonicron:

Onyx Oblivion:

What do I know, though?

And here I thought I was the only human being alive who didn't hate X-Men 3.

And I loved X-Men: Evolution. High five, Onyx!

OT: ... Still not looking too good there.

Same here, I liked X-Men 3 and X-Men: Evolution.

Nurb:
OH COME ON!

Another damn origin story movie? I'm getting so tired of this; They take a whole movie to introduce characters, another to establish them, and when they FINALLY get to a point where the characters can focus on a problem through the whole movie instead of a fraction of the movie at the end, the do a "reboot"!

This is driving me nuts, and I'm not even a comic book reader! Same with spider man, we saw where he came from and instead of fixing the problems with 3 and focusing on one villain in the 4th, we have to see "Spiderman: Twilight saga" where he's an angsty teenager in high school AGAIN. Now with X-Men. Ugh, it's a shameless attempt to get in on all that sparkley vampire money by using actors pulled from the Abercombe & Fitch catalogue for a prequel.

I agree with this. X Men is one of my favourite titles, and the first two films were really damn good, regardless of how little they followed the story. The third wasn't awful either. I know Hollywood is all about trying to print off as much money as quickly s possible, but when they barely conceal the fact, it leaves a bad damn traste in my mouth. I won't be seeing this.

Seriously, why does this film even exist? We've done X-men already and I really loved the trilogy. Come on, do you really think you can make a better X-men film WITHOUT Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen?

I... am calling SHENANIGANS. Someone, anyone, just release Wolverine on the pictures! For the love of all that is holy...

More seriously: These pictures are just... no. Xaiver shouldn't look that way. Shoe-horn in a mutant that can resurrect Stewart or something, too. If this is even remotely like the finished product, I will not watch this movie. Never, ever, forever.

The new pictures don't really fill me with joy. They look rather... off, to say the least.

And I rather enjoyed the first X-Men trilogy, Last Stand as well. I still don't really understand what the criticisms of it are supposed to be, other than the continued complaint of "They killed _____ off!"

The Stonker:

ShadowsofHope:
..Ew.

EW.

EWWW.

Didn't Patrick kinda get blown up in X-men 3? Or is this movie about the past?

But anywho I would love to see Ricky Gervais as a X-men mutant.
Think of the hillarities!
But back to the topic, yes the costumes are disgusting, the makeup looks like it was splurted on and they look like mole people.

It's a prequel. It's going back to the "roots" of X-men basically, in a really undesired fashion. Just like Spider-Cullen and his "reboot" coming up within the next year or so.

Needless to say, I won't be seeing this. As well, I hated X-Men Origins: Wolverine. X and X-2 were my favorites, overall.

I thought the helmet was made after the falling out of Magneto and Professor Xavier. In the first movie, which I thought would be somewhat cannon, Xavier meets Magneto and acts surprised at the helmet. And before hand, he doesn't know how he's blocking his thoughts.

Now if the helmet exists before hand, and Magneto only recently upgraded it with mental blocking powers (tin foil lining), then I could understand that.

I like the designs. I think they look cool and different.

Got nothing against James Mcavoy but why in the name of science did somebody cast him as Xavier?!?

Fassbender seems like a reasonable choice but Mcavoy just looks totally out of place here. Star Trek's Zachary Quintos would have been a considerably better choice for Xavior in my opinion...

Oh and those official photos really don't make up for anything, I'd be embarrassed if I were Magneto. The future for this film seems very bleak to me...

And out of interest why is there lots of hate for Wolverine: Origins? Sure it wasn't pertinent but I've seen far worse films...

I can't help but feel we're gonna get a scene in this movie with Young Xavier curving bullets...

Wow, those official photos are godawful.

I'm hoping this film will at least be better than X-Men 3, I'll be okay if it is.

But wow... Those are the official photos that are meant to get me excited?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here