Dead Space 2 Bonus Injects Horror Into Dragon Age 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dead Space 2 Bonus Injects Horror Into Dragon Age 2

In a genre-bending crossover, Dead Space 2 will include a code for an exclusive Dragon Age 2 armor set.

EA has put together a DLC crossover that involves Dragon Age again, but two seemingly unrelated games. Those that purchase a copy of Dead Space 2 will also receive a code to unlock a special set of armor in Dragon Age 2.

Last year's crossover put a code in Dragon Age that unlocked the Blood Dragon armor set in Mass Effect 2. This time, EA looks to be trying to build interest in Dragon Age 2 with gamers that might not normally take a look at an RPG.

The armor set is called Ser Isaac's armor and is modeled after the main character of Dead Space 2, Isaac Clarke. It comes with boots, a chestplate, gauntlets, and a helmet, each with their own individual stats. It doesn't look like the set provides anything other than a couple of rune slots, a critical damage increase, and improved defense, but it does make Hawke look like a boss. The helmet gives him the triple-tiered blue light visage that Isaac Clarke is known for, though in Dragon Age the lights are probably the result of magic rather than technology. It would have been really cool if the code could have included a crossbow with targeting lasers too, but fans such as I always want it all.

The crossover makes sense when you consider that BioWare has developed Dragon Age 2 to suit both action-RPG fans and those that want to take the tactical approach (see here), while both games are also somewhat horror oriented. As the armor appears to be mostly a cosmetic improvement, so I don't think it's that big of a loss if you have no interest in Dead Space 2.

Aww when I read the title I thought we were gonna get dragon armor for DS2 not the other way around. Though that armor looks awesome.

nvm dbl post

It would be fantastic if the unlock key was cross-platform compatible. While I'll be getting Dead Space 2 on the 360 (I'm an achievement whore and all of my friends are on LIVE), I'm definately getting DA2 on the PC (I can't walk away from all of the awesome mods!).

That is awesome, but sadly I don't want really want to buy Dead Space 2 on the PC (if this deal works for the PC version anyway) just to get this set.

On the topic of Dragon Age, how are the games on PC? Do they have a similar choice thing like with Mass Effect where certain decisions carry over from the previous game?

It's already enough I had to pre order by a certain date just to avoid missing out, but after all that, I don't get this? Bleh.

Looks cool. It's little things like this that developers do that make you feel appreciated as a consumer. You also feel a little used, but mostly appreciated.

That helmet looks out of place. Eh, good thing I hate horror.

That suit looks cool anywhere.

But here's a question: does it have to be for the same system? Because I'm buying Dead Space 2 for 360 and I'm probably going to get Dragon Age 2 for PC.

Wouldn't Dead Space armor make more sense for Mass Effect 2 or 3?

Oh yay another stpry about EA trying to get people to pre order. If they put more effort into thier games they should feel condifent enough for consumers to want the game, without having all this crap as an incentive.
I liked the Idea of pre orders at first, but now stores and crossovers, pre order stuff is pissing me off. I dont intend buying it, but I think this will catch on sadly.

Armour looks out of place.

I hate this kind of 'incentive' EA is giving towards the ones who pre-order/buy both versions. Dragon Age Blood Armour was overpowered and bulky, totally not befitting DA:O.

In ME2 the armour was wicked but with one MAJOR problem, non-removable helmet. In a game that puts big emphasis on facial animation and conveying real emotions, this is a downer. Not to mention people drinking through their helmets, it's horrible.

A cheapest form of marketing.

Straying Bullet:

In ME2 the armour was wicked but with one MAJOR problem, non-removable helmet. In a game that puts big emphasis on facial animation and conveying real emotions, this is a downer. Not to mention people drinking through their helmets, it's horrible.

Really? You can't toggle helmets in ME2?

I'll admit that i've always had a love/hate relationship with horror games. I love the sound of the concept, then I hate playing them because i'm a massive pansy, but the suit in Dead Space was pretty cool, I wonder if they're gonna do the magical smokey/particle effects on it rather than the "Sci-fi, super clean lines of light" thing, to make it slot in more with the franchise's fantasy grounding.

HankMan:

Straying Bullet:

Really? You can't toggle helmets in ME2?

Every armour you might obtained via pre-order or DLC [ except for one ] is an entire suit. With non-removable helmets, making it really redundant to carry them. You never see people use those in their videos on Mass Effect 2.

Only the N7 armour is used, since it offers helmet toggle.

cool now i have to decide which system i want it for since i own all 3

This is becoming ridiculous.

Huh, I don't really think Dragon Age 2, as nice as it looks, will end up being a scary game...

I can understand ME2, being from the same company, but Dead Space 2? What's going on...

I.E.D.:

I wonder where exactly will this end. It seems that today publishers are trying everything they can to exploit the customer.

Spacial pre-order with an absurd deadline, game content spread across several games (what next, buy MoH get armor for ME3?) and no free day 1 DLC. And somehow they are getting away with it.

bushwhacker2k:

I can understand ME2, being from the same company, but Dead Space 2? What's going on...

They are from the same company. Don't let the name fools you, Bioware is an EA property.

You...BASTARDS!

Even though the company is trying to get more money with this. All I can say is...

"That armor look awesome. I'd tap that."

Do want armor, do not want Dead Space 2. Sell the armor for BioWare points! Do it!

I.E.D.:

Agreed.

Even if it didn't look stupid (and I reckon it does), this whole thing would still sit wrong with me.

Nah. Pass.
Being a future mage, I highly doubt I'm going to want this armor for her. Maybe...nah..

Besides, if it pulls that nonsense from ME2 where the helmet could not be removed, then what's the damn point of having a customizable character.

>.>

Jumplion:
That is awesome, but sadly I don't want really want to buy Dead Space 2 on the PC (if this deal works for the PC version anyway) just to get this set.

On the topic of Dragon Age, how are the games on PC? Do they have a similar choice thing like with Mass Effect where certain decisions carry over from the previous game?

You have choices like Mass Effect, but unlike Mass Effect, there is no good/evil bar. Which is awesome. Most choices are also a lot less black/white, especially if you read into them more. I'd say its great. The PC version is definitely the one to get though. Mainly because of mods.

As for choices carrying over, well yes and no.

You'll be able to import your DA:O save into DA2, but it'll just change up some dialog to reflect the actions of your DA:O hero. Which makes sense, considering DA2 takes place far away from Ferelden.

For some reason, this reminds me of how they set the comic book Spawn in the modern world but had stories about a medieval Spawn as well.

I remember my ME2 Dragon Armor and my Blood Armor. I also remember how often I wore them in the game: 0 times. I simply didn't care. I'll eventually pick up DS2 and DA2, but I'm not going to run out for some digital toss-aside.

Now TF2 hats, on the other hand, I might do a pre-order for.

*flips table* if these idiots would slap free on these things instead of Buy one whole game get a helmet, they would get legions of fans. I always forget that I'm trying to boycott developer asshattery so they get back to trying to win over gamers at launch not through dlc and buy my friends game shenanigans. And that there are hordes of people just throwing money at these people.

While I did enjoy what EA did with the blood dragon armor in ME2, I just don't know how well Isaac fits in the Dragon Age universe. I suppose I would be more interested in the bonus if I had any interest in Dead Space 2 at all.

Irridium:

Jumplion:

You have choices like Mass Effect, but unlike Mass Effect, there is no good/evil bar. Which is awesome. Most choices are also a lot less black/white, especially if you read into them more. I'd say its great. The PC version is definitely the one to get though. Mainly because of mods.

As for choices carrying over, well yes and no.

You'll be able to import your DA:O save into DA2, but it'll just change up some dialog to reflect the actions of your DA:O hero. Which makes sense, considering DA2 takes place far away from Ferelden.

I'm not much of a mod person, though I do want to try and get into it. I'll consider getting DA:Origins, though LBP2, Dead Space 2, and Killzone 3 will probably take up my time for now.

Looks cool! I like when games do neat things like this in order to promote each other.

it looks funny, and for all those who like the armor, i think it's a good thing to add, since if you don't want to have his ugly face, and/or would like to believe it's another D&D race, or female character to fantasize about. as lon as it's no DLC... oh i misread, it is a DLC ! well as long as they don't start thinking into doing a campaign setting or expansion or even a DLC about level related to Dead Space into Dragon Age...

i hope not...actually i hope the devs won't read my post !

XT inc:
*flips table* if these idiots would slap free on these things instead of Buy one whole game get a helmet, they would get legions of fans. I always forget that I'm trying to boycott developer asshattery so they get back to trying to win over gamers at launch not through dlc and buy my friends game shenanigans. And that there are hordes of people just throwing money at these people.

But these guys already have legions of fans. <_<

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or