Fans Pledge Thousands to Indie RPG Dev in Two Days

Fans Pledge Thousands to Indie RPG Dev in Two Days

Zeboyd Games will be bringing its retro RPG skills to the PC, thanks to loyal fans.

If you've been following the progress of indie RPG studio Zeboyd Games, known for praised Xbox Live Indie Games titles Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World, you'd know that it was hanging on the edge of making a career out of game development or keeping it as a side project. Zeboyd's plan to see if the PC was a more suitable platform for its titles has already born fruit in the form of thousands of dollars of funding money.

Zeboyd started up a Kickstarter page in an attempt to raise $3,000 to fund the port of Cthulu Saves the World to the PC. Two days later, it met that goal. As of this writing, 92 backers have pledged $4,450, with 25 days to go until the project officially gets funded.

As an RPG fan, I'm happy that Zeboyd got such a quick infusion of community support. It'll be great to see where this will lead the studio in the future. From a different perspective, the situation points out an interesting new world where a videogame developers doesn't have to seek investment from (sometimes) evil corporate firms anymore.

Breath of Death VII, Zeboyd's first game, would never have been released as a physical retail product. Because of the existence of Xbox Live Indie Games and the inclination by a few fellows to create a videogame, it was released for $1 and purchased by over 40,000 people. When Zeboyd saw that there was an audience for its type of games, but that XBLIG wasn't a fully self-sustaining platform for their release, the community that enjoyed it products was quickly able to fund a move to the PC too.

The "garage" of each "garage developer" no longer includes just the group of people creating a game, but all of its fans as well. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these fan fundings in the near future. Plus, how amazing would it be if even larger companies catch on, with thousands of gamers funding the creation of more popular franchises?

Source: Zeboyd Games

Phones are also an excellent outlet for developers these days, too- the prices are expected to be low, and they often have a good a chance as the big names to be successful.

RISE OF THE INDIE (not Jones) YAY

Erana:
Phones are also an excellent outlet for developers these days, too- the prices are expected to be low, and they often have a good a chance as the big names to be successful.

RISE OF THE INDIE (not Jones) YAY

I too think a retro RPG of this kind would do wonders on smartphones like the i-phone and android phones, i just hope they can mamage to make enough money to make the projects worth while since they do make fun, cheap little RPGs that are just charming.

I can see this going well until people start throwing money at crap and losing out. I'm calling fan-investments a future problem rather than a solution.

Tom Goldman:
. Plus, how amazing would it be if even larger companies catch on, with thousands of gamers funding the creation of more popular franchises?

Can has "Final Fantasy 7 remake" fund raising drive?

Tom Goldman:
Plus, how amazing would it be if even larger companies catch on, with thousands of gamers funding the creation of more popular franchises?

Yea because "No ME3/GTA5/etc until a million of you F***ers cough up $60" sounds like a great idea

Pass up these games at your own risk.

Seriously fantastic writing.

Fr]anc[is:

Tom Goldman:
Plus, how amazing would it be if even larger companies catch on, with thousands of gamers funding the creation of more popular franchises?

Yea because "No ME3/GTA5/etc until a million of you F***ers cough up $60" sounds like a great idea

Think of it this way... major publishers pass on sequel to cult classic, so fans fund it instead.

I bought "Cthulhu Saves the World" on Xbox Live as soon as I heard about this petition. I hope my 3 dollars helped, and I'm enjoying this game greatly. Maybe it's because I'm a Lovecraft fan, but I've never been interested in turn based RPG combat except for Doom II RPG on the Iphone. Still, a funny and interesting game, hope they make more like it.
Oh, and I love humour where the 4th wall is broken, something that is plentiful in this game.

Tom Goldman:

Think of it this way... major publishers pass on sequel to cult classic, so fans fund it instead.

Sounds very risky. It can work for a 2 man team making a crummy game in their bedroom which happens to do well only because people like the lol factor of buying it for $1, but what if 10,000 people donate $40 each funding an ambitious game then runs out of/ over budget half way?

Money down the drain and 10,000 angry donators. As someone already mentioned, should this actually take off, it'll likely lead to disaster.

Dfskelleton:
I bought "Cthulhu Saves the World" on Xbox Live as soon as I heard about this petition. I hope my 3 dollars helped, and I'm enjoying this game greatly. Maybe it's because I'm a Lovecraft fan, but I've never been interested in turn based RPG combat except for Doom II RPG on the Iphone. Still, a funny and interesting game, hope they make more like it.
Oh, and I love humour where the 4th wall is broken, something that is plentiful in this game.

:o Doom II RPG on iPhone?
OT:I think they should hit the app stores because so far there's not many great RPG's or the ones that exist in the app stores and quite short and dull.

Yes!

I loved Breath of Death VII. I was blown away by how much fun I had with a game that I payed 80MSP for and I'll totally buy Cthulu Saves The World when the PC port is complete.

See? Put out quality and I'll keep coming back for more. DO YOU SEE HOW THIS WORKS PEOPLE!?

Aw, I was going to give some money to him today! I guess I'm going to have to support the indie industry the old-fashined way, by just buying his game.

Anyone else think that the Cthulhu picture in the article would make a good tattoo? Just a thought, will be definetly getting this when it comes out.

Cthulhu saves the World is the first and so far only indie game I've downloaded. As a reader of Lovecraft I found the premise and writing hilarious, the retro RPG style also a bonus.

I support this developer.

If the reward for a $10 donation were a copy of the finished game, I'd hit it, but $24 is a bit steep for my unemployed self. As it's not, I'll just have to hope I remember about it when it's done/don't lose my reminder to myself to check back later.

Good to see Cthulhu Saves The World is coming to the PC, and I hope we get more Cthulhu fun.

I remember Valve said that they might try doing something like this. But instead of donations it was more like steam integrated "shares" in the product.

Wait, wait, are people getting this money back? Or is this a case of just asking people to give them money so that they can make more money later on? If it's the latter I'm surprised they have the guts to do that.

I'd much rather give this guy who puts out real games (that are actually finished) my money than that crap Lego game Minecraft more money. How I wish I could get my money back from that POS and give it to Zeboyd. I played Breath of Death to (no pun intended) death and barely touched Minecraft after being bored for an hour of playing it.

Onyx Oblivion:
Pass up these games at your own risk.

Seriously fantastic writing.

I've only played through the first little bit of Cthulu Saves the World and I was cracking up from the start, the writing tickles me. ^_^

Rigs83:

Ditto!

This is awesome. Stuff like this (in videogames) and Pioneer One (on tv, and as hokey as it might get) give me hope for good stuff in the future.

The Roots of the Grass always makes a good snack!

Good for Zeboyd. I bought both Breath of Death 7 and Cthulu Saves the World.

(=Nemesis=):
Wait, wait, are people getting this money back? Or is this a case of just asking people to give them money so that they can make more money later on? If it's the latter I'm surprised they have the guts to do that.

I think you got some kind of reward for funding them. Like getting the game for "free" as soon as its ported.
Though personally, I wouldnīt even mind funding devs without immediate benefit for myself, as long as I like the studio and what they are doing.

Also, I think we should all take a step back and realize how awesome it is, that the gaming community has reached a level where this kind of stuff actually works.

I don't see what the big deal is. It looks like something created in RGPmaker and an old version at that. It's just a reskin of the tired old 4 man JRPG.
Now if it were an SRPG instead, I'd be all over it.

I didn't think the new game was worth an extra donation.

Best of luck tho anyways.

TheAmazingHobo:

(=Nemesis=):

(1) I think you got some kind of reward for funding them. Like getting the game for "free" as soon as its ported.

(2) Though personally, I wouldnīt even mind funding devs without immediate benefit for myself, as long as I like the studio and what they are doing.

(3) Also, I think we should all take a step back and realize how awesome it is, that the gaming community has reached a level where this kind of stuff actually works.

1) Wouldn't that make it a pre-order, and if so, the article's kind of misleading.

2) That's all fair enough... I just think it's a bit... well, mum said I shouldn't ask strangers for money. (ī.īv)

3) Excellent! I happen to be working on an RPG myself; I don't need money for it because all the software I got for it was free, and I'm doing it in my spare time, but please may I have some anyway. I'll need to... advertise... so that people will recognise it enough to give me even more money... guh, there seems to be no level of irony at which it's even funny. I'll have to ask my scriptwriter about that one.

Power to Zeboyd on this.

I have bought exactly 6 games on XBLIG and Breath of Death + Cthulhu Saves the World are two of them.

(=Nemesis=):

3) Excellent! I happen to be working on an RPG myself; I don't need money for it because all the software I got for it was free, and I'm doing it in my spare time, but please may I have some anyway. I'll need to... advertise... so that people will recognise it enough to give me even more money... guh, there seems to be no level of irony at which it's even funny. I'll have to ask my scriptwriter about that one.

I donīt see what you are getting at.

They have already developed a couple of decent games.
They need money for some reason or another.
They get it from people who value their work, as opposed to from a publisher.
You on the other hand would be some dude who never developed anything anybody cares about, so people wouldnīt be inclined to give you money.

TheAmazingHobo:

(=Nemesis=):

I donīt see what you are getting at.

They have already developed a couple of decent games.
They need money for some reason or another.
They get it from people who value their work, as opposed to from a publisher.
You on the other hand would be some dude who never developed anything anybody cares about, so people wouldnīt be inclined to give you money.

My point, I suppose, is if they've developed decent games, which people demonstrably want to buy, why do they need what looks like additional charity funding?

EDIT: I mean, suppose if someone like BioWare or Valve asked their customers for money in advance for games they're trying to make. Everyone here would be laughing. But the only real difference I see between them, and these chaps, is that BioWare and Valve have made more money making (or in Valve's case, also distributing) more games that more people like to play. I don't recognise why that should change it.

No! Don't go exclusively to the PC!

I loved both of their games, they were more fun than any of those stuffy old Nintendo-era Final Fantasy games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here