EFF Calls Sony's Lawsuit Against PS3 Hackers "Dangerous"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Andy Powell:
OPEN YOUR EYES! The PSN trophy system is under FULL attack! It's all over the web. (example) http://gamerant.com/ps3-trophy-hack-tao-61254/

These homebrewwers that you're defending are devaluing one feature at a time for everyone else who enjoys the system. So what's next?.. NO trophy system for everyone? Is that what you want? Because that's exactly what you're getting. That's exactly what everyone is getting weather we want it or not. I can't think of a better example of what's not fair to consumers, than what's happenning right now.

explain to me how some person who uses this alleged hack to get %100 on all the trophies for his/her games in any way affects you? or for that matter affects anything? trophies are absolutely MEANINGLESS. they don't do anything but give a person some sort of self satisfaction. there's no tangible rewards at all, so again i ask, what difference does it make to you if someone has legitimately gotten %100 trophies or not?

Deshin:
*deep breath*

Would people stop with pulling the big book of metaphors out of their backsides and stop dancing around the issue. Sod cars and prisons and weirdos, what we have here is an electronic console and it has its own rules and situations.

When you buy the console it is yours, legally, Sony can't come round to your house and decide to take it back. No matter how many EULA amendments they make will make it true and not a damn single court in the civilised world would uphold a Sony rep coming to comandeer your personal possessions. Sony could put in the EULA that every time you turn the console on you have to punch yourself in the groin but that doesn't make it legally binding. Now we've gotten that out of the way let's move onto the proper stuff.

The PS3 is a console, a piece of electrical hardware. As an electronics item the owner (ie, you, not Sony) can do what you want with it. You can open it, take a hammer to it, take a soldering iron to it, whatever you want. (The only downside is you'd void the warranty) If you make your electronic device capable of doing something it's not supposed to, it's STILL OK. Back in olden days you had to modchip consoles to get em to pirate, that was perfectly legal. The actual piracy bit on the other hand is the not so legal part and that's where the trouble comes in. But *modifying* your electronic hardware to do something illegal is perfectly legal as long as you don't do the illegal part.

Sony are just angry about losing their prized "most secure console" title and having the PS3 end up with the security functions of a toaster. As such they're releasing the lawyers in any which way direction they think will save face the most. Honestly though they did have it coming, a BIG selling point of the PS3 over the competition was OpenOS and that influenced a lot of sales. Now for Sony to realise they're not the sleepy sheepdog of the console generation anymore and have a sizable number of units sold and can turn around and whip out some of the PS3 goodies is just bad business and I hope they feel the unforgiving wrath of the consumer.

We are the consumers, Sony serves us, not the other way around.

Thank you, someone with some actual sense in this thread. I can't believe the amount of people who want their rights taken away to defend a massive corporation and become whipping boys of a company who only care about you for your money. Every single one of you with terrible analogies and stupid reasons why users shouldn't be allowed to hack their console.

The only reason they care about this issue is because it could lose them a small bit of money, they don't care about you or you defending them on an internet forum.

Zom-B:
explain to me how some person who uses this alleged hack to get %100 on all the trophies for his/her games in any way affects you? or for that matter affects anything? trophies are absolutely MEANINGLESS. they don't do anything but give a person some sort of self satisfaction. there's no tangible rewards at all, so again i ask, what difference does it make to you if someone has legitimately gotten %100 trophies or not?

The trophies system is NOT meaningless to people who hold value to it. Obviously, you don't but your opinion doesn't make fact. Many people like myself value the trophies system as a rewards system for doing things in games that we normally wouldn't do, or for going that extra mile. It also provides replay value for titles that would've normally been dropped after the first play through. People who find value in the trophies and achievements systems on consoles are in the majority, and I'm afraid you're outnumbered on that one.

A comprimized trophy system would put the feature in jeopardy of being shut down completely. Game devs wouldn't bat an eye at droping support of the feature if it meant that any effort put towards it was completely blitzed the minute the game hit launch day.

Andy Powell:

The trophies system is NOT meaningless to people who hold value to it. Obviously, you don't but your opinion doesn't make fact. Many people like myself value the trophies system as a rewards system for doing things in games that we normally wouldn't do, or for going that extra mile. It also provides replay value for titles that would've normally been dropped after the first play through. People who find value in the trophies and achievements systems on consoles are in the majority, and I'm afraid you're outnumbered on that one.

A comprimized trophy system would put the feature in jeopardy of being shut down completely. Game devs wouldn't bat an eye at droping support of the feature if it meant that any effort put towards it was completely blitzed the minute the game hit launch day.

fair enough. the trophy system has value to you. however, you haven't explained how another player's trophies, real or legitimate, affect your value of them or their worth to you. if trophies of players on your friends list weren't visible, would they still hold the same value? if it's just a personal scorecard, other players shouldn't matter.

also, i highly doubt that sony or microsoft would take out achievements or trophies simply because people were artificially inflating their scores. that would be tantamount to punishing legitimate players for the actions of cheaters, and i think in most people's books that would be an asinine response. it wouldn't stop cheaters cheating (they'd just find something new to cheat at) and it would alienate legitimate users.

and i would also like to submit that trophies are meaningless. when you receive a trophy for doing something that you would do anyways, how can it have worth? i've played a number of games where i've essentially "earned" trophies for "completing level 1". silly trophies like that dilute the whole structure. now, if trophies were only awarded for things that a player really had to go out of their way to do, then at least you have bragging rights. but if every single person has the same trophies no matter how they play the game, they become essentially worthless.

Remember the court ruling of the iPhone jailbreak? Yea...

I'm pretty sure that someone has already posted this and everyone is already thinking this but I feel the need to say it. "Sony's quest for control will be their undoing."

thank you EFF for being the 'good' cop when anon is the 'bad' cop. Together you make a wonderful team.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here