X-Men Plus Clerks Equals Amazing Amateur Film

Pages 1 2 NEXT

X-Men Plus Clerks Equals Amazing Amateur Film

Lazy Teenage Superheroes takes a look at what it'd be like if the characters from Clerks had super powers.

Michael Ashton's Lazy Teenage Superheroes is an alternate take on the secret lives of those with super powers. The 13-minute short film features a small team of teenagers with superpowers that are more interested in getting drunk than using them to save humanity from evil.

The supergroup in Lazy Teenage Superheroes is made up of Mitch, Cal, Rich, and Tyler. Mitch has the powers of Phoenix from X-Men, but mostly uses them to smoke marijuana. Cal can shoot electricity from his fingertips, but feels most comfortable when talking about his bathroom habits. Rich is like the Hulk combined with Wolverine, and is the preppy of the group. Meanwhile, Tyler has no powers, but does own a Nintendo Power Glove.

The film follows the team on a day when a few arch-enemies come calling: a bug-like robot, an Edward Scissorhands lookalike that swaps the scissors for lightsabers, and the Don Juan-esque Solario. Little do the Lazy Teenage Superheroes know that the most powerful among them might be their friend Melody.

The movie came out in 2009, and I'm not sure how it remained off the radar. It has great special effects, a funny premise, and lots of geeky references for a unique Clerks-like charm. Somebody get Kevin Smith on the phone, because this concept seems ripe for a bigger budget.

Source: Lazy Teenage Superheroes, via Boing Boing

Not great up until the last few moments.

That was a hell of alot better than I would have believed.

Much more X-Men than Clerks, though.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven

I must watch! I must watch!

...as soon as my Internet is willing to play videos. Stupid computer...

It looked cheesey up until those last couple effects at the ending. The ending was pretty good.

I'd hardly call it Clerks meets X-Men but it was still really really well done.

I'm glad I took the time to watch that. It was pretty good.

I enjoyed that, I love little fan films like these.

I like the robot bug. Fun video, if tv was like this I would watch tv.

Sounds like Misfits.

Misfits on 4od, not sure if this will let you stream the video if you're outside the U.K. but if you are a Brit you can watch it.

Actual:
Sounds like Misfits.

Misfits on 4od, not sure if this will let you stream the video if you're outside the U.K. but if you are a Brit you can watch it.

Misfits is awesome! As was this, surprisingly.

And let's be honest - most teenagers with superpowers would be lazy douchebags rather than heroes

It sort of remind me of that comic "The Boys" (only a bit) since the heroes in that comic aren't exactly noble. Over all it's funny and I enjoy it.

That was actually pretty good, although it should have more comedy in it.

The ending was weird. why did the girl walk through every one?

Clerks-like charm? I wouldn't go that far but its still amusing

Well that was surprisingly well made.

Im not sure where your getting the clerks vibe from?

OT- cool video

That was awesome. Someone needs to make a TV show based on this.

Not to ruin the buzz about this, but here in the UK we've had an amazing tv series called misfits about young offenders with superpowers. It is awesome.

I like how the combination of Hulk and Wolverine needs an inhaler :)

That was surprisingly well done. Thanks for the info about it.

I liked how they dealt with the first one without even using their powers and then went back to doing lazy stuff.

Yeah, I'd watch a whole series around this premise. It has a lot of promise. Give it a coat of polish and we're talking grade A stuff here.

J03bot:

Actual:
Sounds like Misfits.

Misfits is awesome! As was this, surprisingly.

And let's be honest - most teenagers with superpowers would be lazy douchebags rather than heroes

Yeah, if I had powers I'd totally abuse them

That was really nicely done. Those effects were amazingly good for such a video.
So yeah: i really liked this video. Awesomely done.

Well I'd watch that as a TV series that's for damn sure!

I smell new hit series on Fox. Or at least one really good movie if someone got behind it.

That is AWESOME!

The guys interact great with each other, and are well written and acted for amatures, but c'mon, the cliche no-nonsense female character who's smarter(more powerful), acts superior to the others and constantly complains about how big of idiots the guys are? That's like every videogame comic ever.

So when's the film coming out? XD

Seriously, these guys should be so damn proud, this is fucking awesome to watch and funny too. :D

Nurb:
That is AWESOME!

The guys interact great with each other, and are well written and acted for amatures, but c'mon, the cliche no-nonsense female character who's smarter(more powerful), acts superior to the others and constantly complains about how big of idiots the guys are? That's like every videogame comic ever.

If you had the ability to bend space and time, don't you think you'd be a bit up yourself too? I do get what you're saying to, it's pretty cliche.

captaincabbage:

Nurb:
That is AWESOME!

If you had the ability to bend space and time, don't you think you'd be a bit up yourself too? I do get what you're saying to, it's pretty cliche.

Haha, I'm not saying she couldn't but the type of character she is has become a little tiresome.

These guys don't seem particularly Lazy nor do they appear to be Teenagers as the title implies. Wasn't entertained by it.

Actual:
Sounds like Misfits.

It also reminds me of the British mini-series "No Heroics".

Nurb:

captaincabbage:

Nurb:
That is AWESOME!

Haha, I'm not saying she couldn't but the type of character she is has become a little tiresome.

lol true 'dat.
She does need to have a slice of humble pie.

I really liked that. I could see it being one of those awkward comedy movies like Zombieland.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here