Xbox 360-Exclusive Crysis 2 Demo Coming Soon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Xbox 360-Exclusive Crysis 2 Demo Coming Soon

A Crysis 2 multiplayer demo is on the way but you'll only get to play it if you're an Xbox Live Gold subscriber.

Crysis 2 doesn't show up until March but to give gamers a taste of what's to come, EA and Crytek are tossing out a multiplayer demo on January 25. Players will duke it out across the "Skyline" map in one of two game modes: "Team Instant Action," which pits two teams against each other in a no-holds-barred deathmatch, and "Crash Site," a control-point battle over alien drop pods.

"Crysis 2 offers a fresh, new take on multiplayer," said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli, despite the fact that the two game modes in the demo are neither fresh nor new. "The Nanosuit gives gamers a sense of power they have yet to experience in any other shooter and having New York City as a backdrop will present a different type of playground with even more possibilities."

Sadly, if you're not an Xbox Live Gold subscriber the only way you'll be able to find out if it's any good is to ask a friend who is, because it's coming exclusively to Microsoft's online service. Whether it will eventually make its way to the PC and PlayStation 3 isn't known at this point, but I wouldn't hold my breath. For better or worse, demos these days seem more about cranking up the publicity machine than giving gamers a chance to sample the goods and decide whether or not they're actually interested.

Crysis 2 comes out on March 22 for the Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3.

Looking forward to this :D I've watched a few gameplay videos and Crysis 2 seems to have some nice touches to the multiplayer... but I need that extra bit of convincing.

Shame other services don't get the demo too... oh well I'm sure there will be a ton of blogging and gameplay videos to pore over in its absence.

I'm so pissed at Crytek.

I don't know how many of you here are active in the Crysis community, but there have been tons and tons of worry at MyCrysis and Crymod in the past about how the consoles will affect the game. Every time they've said things like "there will be no favoritism" and "we still consider the PC players to be the most dedicated" etc, etc.

I guess it was all lies and bullshit, because it looks like they just gave us the finger.

It looks pretty fun. The Multiplayer Trailer was crazy and definitely something I need to see for myself to believe it works.

Tomorrow it is.

Looks like I might have to Invade my Xbox live playing friends

Wait a second... Wasn't the multiplayer made by CruTek UK, fromer Free Radical?...

Its good to know that the $60 a year we pay to Microsoft aren't going to making the service better, but rather to put their slimy tentacles into Crytek and other companies for timed exclusives.

Good job Crytek, build your fan base on a different console then shaft them over the new fling XD Way to go, I mean the last ppl to do that was Nintendo and look how... o nevemind ._.

AC10:
I'm so pissed at Crytek.

I don't know how many of you here are active in the Crysis community, but there have been tons and tons of worry at MyCrysis and Crymod in the past about how the consoles will affect the game. Every time they've said things like "there will be no favoritism" and "we still consider the PC players to be the most dedicated" etc, etc.

I guess it was all lies and bullshit, because it looks like they just gave us the finger.

I'm trying my best to not be a PC-douche when it comes to Crysis 2 but when they're tossing out everything from the original and simplifying the only thing that's left, the nanosuit, it's hard to sense any hype at all and instead focus the anger on the target audience i.e. the CoD playing console guy. I absolutely adore the original but this doesn't feel like Crysis any more.

Off topic: If you're a regular at the Crysis community, have they announced any confirmation on mod-tools? That's like the only thing that will save Crytek a customer at this point.

I'm definately downloading this. Nano suit V2.0 here I come.

Notthatbright:
Its good to know that the $60 a year we pay to Microsoft aren't going to making the service better, but rather to put their slimy tentacles into Crytek and other companies for timed exclusives.

You don't consider a free demo as part of the service?

Besides the reality is that Xbox is where it has to prove itself (New IP, Oldest console), Us on PC have already gotten hold of the nanosuit before and had another 3 generations of GPU's since then, PSN would cost them money for both the download and network traffic.

I'll just take a wild guess and say they copied alot of things from CoD(apparent from all the footage I have seen sofar), which I'm sure will sell their game very nicely, but I would prefer something new.

May as well try it out, assuming anybody with Live Gold can get it and you don't have to have something to do with Crysis to enable you to download it.

Also, I assume it'll be free, as demos pretty much always are?

Andy Chalk:
For better or worse, demos these days seem more about cranking up the publicity machine than giving gamers a chance to sample the goods and decide whether or not they're actually interested.

As somebody who's been gaming for a long time I have to ask, wasn't publicity always an aspect of demos? The demo itself becoming a rarer and rarer animal maybe I'm having a hard time remembering but companies always went out of their way to put their best foot forward with them, and when they were incredible or made a game seem incredible the average people would create word of mouth about them and writers would naturally write about them and create press. I mean the Demo's chief goal was to create interest. Isn't that what publicity does? If you think it was simply a fair sample perhaps you should gloss over some of the Mirror's Edge demo impressions and compare them against completed game reviews. This line just sort of comes off as sour grapes. Looking at the situation logically, X box gamers don't know the series, PC gamers do, and a demo and server on Playstation network would just create a huge expense for crytek.

Christ, Crytek, do I need to donate my middle fingers to your viewing gallery as well?!

There's NO POSSIBLE WAY I'm buying Crysis 2 unless I have a demo to ensure it FREAKING WORKS.

I swear, if Microsoft bought exclusive rights to a demo (seems likely), then I'm finding the jackass who said that "Microsoft supports PC gaming" and STRANGLING HIM IN HIS SLEEP.

With a Garrot wire MADE OF FIRE.

Did somebody say, 'Multiplayer Demo'??? I'll have to give it a go -- I suck at online multiplayer games, but the trailers look awesome, and I'm always up to try a new game.

Well fuck you too Crytek, thanks for remembering your fans.

So much for Microsoft supporting the Windows platform, still showering its cash cow the 360 with everything, leaving the PC platform with leftovers.
Wheres this support MS ? Same places as politicians promises I'll bet.

I am not so annoyed that 360 players get to experience the game before everyone else, C2 was never a buy at launch title for me ... however I want to see how it plays on my box as its not really up to date anymore ( AthlonII x4 630 ( 3.4 ghz), 4 gig DDR3 RAM and a GTX260 on Win7 Home pre. ), console gamers know it will run on thier platforms ( or should run ).
It makes sense to give the platform with the more variation in hardware some manner to test functionality ... now THAT would cut down piracy, no more pirating the game to see how it runs before shelling out the cash.

Just ensure there is a demo out for the PC , or it will be yet another game I wont be bothering with along with DS 2 and Bulletstorm ( may get DS 2 when it drops to really low price , Bulletstorm is a MP game I'll bet will have a short life on the servers, no bargain bin potential ).
Not that my few palty pennies make a difference with a army of monkeys ready and willing to lap up anything the industry dishes out.

Ghengis John:
Looking at the situation logically, X box gamers don't know the series, PC gamers do, and a demo and server on Playstation network would just create a huge expense for crytek.

But more specifically, PC gamers know that Crysis is a system assassin. Thus, a demo has the added purpose of making sure your system won't scream, curl in a ball and explode when you try to run it.

Thus, a PC demo is as important (if not more important) than a demo for a demographic who don't know about it, and probably don't care about it. I say "probably don't care" because the only people I can see being enraptured by the demo's content are probably still busy with BlOps.

lacktheknack:

Ghengis John:
Looking at the situation logically, X box gamers don't know the series, PC gamers do, and a demo and server on Playstation network would just create a huge expense for crytek.

But more specifically, PC gamers know that Crysis is a system assassin. Thus, a demo has the added purpose of making sure your system won't scream, curl in a ball and explode when you try to run it.

Perhaps they have no intention of improving the "system assassin" aspect of the game, or perhaps they simply expect you to be capable of reading the system specifications which they themselves provide.

Wasn't the first Crysis advertised as being almost unplayable on most gaming PCs? Yeah, that's what I look for in a game. Shame I wont be able to play this, I'd like to see what I'm supposedly missing out on.

Ghengis John:

lacktheknack:

Ghengis John:

Perhaps they have no intention of improving the "system assassin" aspect of the game, or perhaps they simply expect you to be capable of reading the system specifications which they themselves provide.

Those things are never accurate. Check the "Saints Row II" requirements, for a particularly dramatic example.

I also know about "CanYouRunIt?" and often use the service, but again, it completely failed at one point by telling me that the computer I was on met the "Recommended" requirements for STALKER. Apparently, they recommend ~7 FPS average.

No, I only trust demos to measure my performance, and for such a computer-melting example such as Crysis, I'm not risking it.

just lookd up a vid. Will probablly just play the free MP demo, then not touch it again. It really dosent look that unique.

Ghengis John:
As somebody who's been gaming for a long time I have to ask, wasn't publicity always an aspect of demos?

Sure, demos have always been about publicity, but they served another function as well: introducing players to the game, showing off what it's capable of and (hopefully) convincing them to buy. It's the loss of that utility that I have a problem with.

Someone else in the thread pointed out that if any platform should get a demo it's the PC, and that's absolutely true. All 360s and PS3s are going to run the game the same but the innumerable PC configurations out there, coupled with Crysis' infamously demanding requirements, mean you either need to be 100 percent confident in your rig, or you need a demo. This is common knowledge. So for any practical purposes, a 360-only demo is utterly worthless.

I'm a PC-exclusive gamer, so I'm used to being neglected and I try not to take it personally. But I've also been gaming for a long time and recall when demos served gamers as much as publishers, and I think it's unfortunate that that's no longer the case.

AC10:
I'm so pissed at Crytek.

Companys just keep favoring consoles and kill their games (in my opinion) while doing so.

Umm, I'm sorry, did the article say that we'd be able to use the Nanosuit? Because those classes in the Picture look like marine grunts with bod armor, not nanosuits.

You PC-fans are incredible. You play the greatest, most complex, deepest, best looking games with greater typing and mouse-clicking controls, it costs you less to play them, you get free online and modifications for the games but you can't let us lowly wireless controller-wielders have some fun once in a while.

You guys suck. Master race =/= sympathy. Booo, blegh, sheeeesh.

Sean.Devlin:
You PC-fans are incredible. You play the greatest, most complex, deepest, best looking games with greater typing and mouse-clicking controls, it costs you less to play them, you get free online and modifications for the games but you can't let us lowly wireless controller-wielders have some fun once in a while.

Uh, what? I honestly can't tell if I'm missing some kind of irony here or what's going on. Clarification plz.

Andy Chalk:

Sean.Devlin:

Uh, what? I honestly can't tell if I'm missing some kind of irony here or what's going on. Clarification plz.

I keep hearing that PC-gaming is the best thing ever and you get the best whatever all the time. I know this kind of MS and Crytek BS sucks for you guys, but if it can shut you up somewhat, I'm all for it.

Besides, I don't even have Gold, so I won't get to try it either.

Andy Chalk:
but they served another function as well: introducing players to the game, showing off what it's capable of and (hopefully) convincing them to buy. It's the loss of that utility that I have a problem with.

I don't see that utility as lost. It looks to me like that's what they're hoping to do with the Xbox demographic, which spends a lot of time playing FPS's and competitively gaming.

Someone else in the thread pointed out that if any platform should get a demo it's the PC, and that's absolutely true. All 360s and PS3s are going to run the game the same but the innumerable PC configurations out there, coupled with Crysis' infamously demanding requirements, mean you either need to be 100 percent confident in your rig, or you need a demo. This is common knowledge. So for any practical purposes, a 360-only demo is utterly worthless.

So if a demo serves any other purpose than benchmarking software it's impractical and utterly worthless? There are other reasons for releasing a demo, you just listed them. As for using a demo as benchmarking software we don't know that this will be your only opportunity to get a chance to benchmark. But I don't know if were to ask a publisher that they'd tell us that was ever the intended purpose of releasing a demo.

I'm a PC-exclusive gamer, so I'm used to being neglected and I try not to take it personally. But I've also been gaming for a long time and recall when demos served gamers as much as publishers, and I think it's unfortunate that that's no longer the case.

I do feel your pain, but I think you're letting your temper get the better of you. There's nothing that says they won't be putting out a single player demo when the PC release arrives. As somebody who used to be a PC exclusive gamer I understand your and lack's sentiments, but after picking up two consoles over the last 5 years I've come to realize that choosing to view things from only one vantage point can blind you to the others or make you rush to judgment. I used to see offenses to the PC as a platform and myself as somebody standing by the PC (Like when halo went to the xbox as an example) that make me laugh at how worked up I'd get back then. I'm not trying to be difficult. I do hope Crytek remembers you in the end, it might help to write them and let them know how you feel/ let them know you need something to benchmark. I know that doesn't help you in your current situation though.

Oh, that appears to be tomorrow. I'll try it, atleast, but I'm probably not going to be buying it.

Sean.Devlin:
I keep hearing that PC-gaming is the best thing ever and you get the best whatever all the time. I know this kind of MS and Crytek BS sucks for you guys, but if it can shut you up somewhat, I'm all for it.

Besides, I don't even have Gold, so I won't get to try it either.

PC Gamers are usually pretty quiet, it's when the ignorant start running their mouths about a subject they choose to remain ignorant of, PC Gaming, that people's feathers start getting ruffled. The media regurgitating op-ed's on the Death of PC Gaming every 2 minutes, doesn't help either.

Andy Chalk:

This is a mistake Crytek seems content on continually making, however, the issue is more that they need to both show AND publicize the scalability of the engine both forwards AND backwards. It's why Crysis 1/Warhead didn't sell as well as they could have (in my opinion). They spent so much of their time raving about what super-high end rigs would do with the game, they never really stopped to tell people that the game experience would still be pretty cool/fun running DX9. Yes, you miss the DX10 goodness, but the game still works and it still looks pretty damn nice.

As far as I'm concerned right now, this game is going to be yet another corridor shooter, a demo would've gone a long way to prove otherwise and it's mystifying why they'd do this (MS' money can only cover so many lost sales).

Sean.Devlin:
You PC-fans are incredible. You play the greatest, most complex, deepest, best looking games with greater typing and mouse-clicking controls, it costs you less to play them, you get free online and modifications for the games...

Why thank you! We are pretty awesome.

Why can't I get excited about Crysis 2 anymore? I loved the first game and was looking forward to more delicious system torture at one point. But I've become completely apathetic. It's kinda weird. I don't even know if I want to play it or shun it anymore. Guess I'll wait for the reviews.

Don't care about the multi-player, let the 360 have that. If not getting any demo on the PC. Thanks a lot Crytek. Nice way to treat the platform that gave you your big break and has been so nice to you up till now.

PC snob, you bet, have been since 88.....

But seriously this is not a rant about why do 360 players get it, it should be on PC only. I don't have a problem with the demo being exclusive for a while. What is annoying as a PC owner is that this continues the trend of us getting no demos for anything anymore. And I am fed up of the discrimination.

At least on the console if you are unsure about a game you can rent it and try it or if you do buy it you can trade it in. Both these options are not available on the PC, so taking away the option of a demo as well cause Microsoft paid you some money. That stinks, especially from Crytek. So again what ever you think about PC's, this is not a rant at consoles being bad or anything and I am quite happy for the 360 to get an exclusive demo before any other format. In fact welcome to playing Crysis. Just not that exclusive means no demos for any other format ever. Especially since this game will do big business on the PC and may well give console sales of the title a run for it's money.

may are snobbery rain supreme

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or