James Cameron Knows What to Get You for Christmas: More Avatar

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

James Cameron Knows What to Get You for Christmas: More Avatar

Sequels to 2009's Avatar can be expected in theaters around Christmas 2014 and 2015.

James Cameron, director of the multi-billion-dollar grossing Avatar, has revealed his plans for the film's inevitable sequels. The films haven't been fully scripted yet, but he tells Entertainment Weekly that he's in the process of writing them now. The films will likely be shot together, but will be released about a year apart, at Christmas 2014 and the same time in 2015.

Cameron also drops a pretty sizable hint about which characters audiences can expect to see again, telling Entertainment Weekly, "Basically, if you survived the first film, you get to be in the second film, at least in some form."

Cameron's not only giving the movie-going public Christmas presents-- he wants the world at large to benefit, too. EW reports that the director has partnered with Twentieth Century Fox (the production and distribution company behind Avatar) to donate a percentage of the sequels' "presumably-massive" gross to unspecified environmental charities. Cameron tells EW he didn't want to pump the franchise for more money "without a grander plan in place."

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Don't necessarily see how they could go about continuing this. The ending to the first one had quite a lot of closure to it. :(

[1] Moderator edit: Refrain from low content posts in the future, read the posting guidelines.

More fighting alien-lolcats coming to a fandom near you!

So realistically speaking the film'll be about a massive air attack and then two hours of watching a 3D documentation about mining unobtanium? Hell, I'd even watch that.

Surprising? No. I thought there was gonna be a sequel. I mean, why not? Why not make a sequel out of the highest grossing film of 2010?

James Cameron, Please stop making films.
I dont need more preachy bullshit.

OT: Another film will be made with an amount of money that could probably lead to a fucking Cancer cure, but no, we need more crappy sequels in the world.

Oh great more Avatar, oh well I won't be seeing this, as I thought it to be highly over-rated, and just boring/cliche. I want a trilogy like LOTOR, or back to the future

Well it's still quite a ways away. Here's hoping they improve the story instead of focusing on visuals

CannibalRobots:
James Cameron, Please stop making films.
I dont need more preachy bullshit.

So don't watch it.

Damn it James, I'll gotten Avatar for the past two years.

I got you a 360 Last year, can't you be creative with your gifts D:

How are they going to release two new movies in a row? Is it going to be one of these two part things? I hope not...
Also, I know I'll end up seeing both of these. In four years. Best mark my calendar.

Effing sequels.

Mezzo.:
Don't necessarily see how they could go about continuing this. The ending to the first one had quite a lot of closure to it. :(

It's pretty clear, they go back and nuke it all, in awesome CGI, string it out for 90minutes and smack some 3D on it, and there is your blockbuster.

Unless Gargamel is in the sequel, I'm giving it a pass.

I take it in the next one Neytiri goes to London with John Rolfe in hopes of diplomatic exchange?

I really liked Avatar, and have no problem with admitting that.

But will anyone really care about it in 2014 or 2015?

Fah, did not much like the first one, so I doubt I will find the second one to be any better.

That seems a long ways off...

So the U.S. military comes back with the expedition team and fire bombs the Na'vi out of existence? I'd pay to see that.

Did Avatar really need a sequel? Let alone two?

Oh, right. Money. Sorry. It's pretty cool that they'll be earning for charity, but still.

I'm looking forward to it, I liked Avatar. sure its more fantasy but I always get excited for big bugget sci-fi, perhaps it wasn't a wonderful a story as Moon but my eyeballs enjoyed the feast and watching people get eaten by aliens never gets old in my book.

"Avatar 2: This Time, the Humans are the Good Guys!"

...I wish... instead, chances are high that it's "Revenge of the Bush-Alike Military-Industrial Complex of Eeeeviil."

yay time to whore the idea for the purpose of making money, destroying the concept and the magnificence that the original was!!!!

Good for you James Cameron, hey look have you met George Lucas? Something tells me youre both going to be big friends of one and another... something tells me that you already are...

Its the space version of the Old west, and the cat people will probably pick up on the human technology, much like how Native Americans picked up on using guns, Humanity will see them as some kind of growing threat...

How It Should Have Ended will probably be right in the end, and I will sqwee with glee when it happens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXraSkgssFk
"Nuke the entire site from orbit."

Huh. I knew the sequel/s would be inevitable, but I actually didn't think they would take that long. I expected the first sequel to be out in two years tops, and it turns out the script hasn't even beeing finished yet.

Anyways, yeah, more Avatar. Whoop-whoop, I suppose.

Jimmy's going to run out of cash that soon?

DeadlyYellow:
I take it in the next one Neytiri goes to London with John Rolfe in hopes of diplomatic exchange?

I lol'd.

That said, is it really possible to make a sequel that doesn't include the Navi and the humans engaging in peace talks fallowing the events of the first film? I am not really sure if that kind of plot would just automatically be a rip-off of PH 2. Not to mention that the first film wasn't anything like PH or Dances with wolves in the first place, besides some of the story elements.

Also, 2014-2015? What the fuck?

Why is it taking this long?

EDIT: And on a side node, nobody will look at you (the users of the site in general, not the person I was quoting above) as being cool simply for bashing the guy. I bet half of the people shitting over Cameron don't actually hate him but bash him just the same because other people do.

2015? That's rather disappointing. I was hoping to see Battle Angel some time in the next decade but it seems unlikely at this point.

A trilogy ! Damn. That means its unlikely to have part 2 end with then nuking the planet. What a load of crap.

DO WANT!!!!

I hope that this is a good sequel.

this isnt my name:
A trilogy ! Damn. That means its unlikely to have part 2 end with then nuking the planet. What a load of crap.

Actually, the script and plot for Avatar 2 is already out, it can be found here: Avatar: Redemption in Space.

And nukes ARE involved.

lol.

I am expecting one of the sequels will about making Earth green again. I bet someone will find out how to make an Earth hive mind like the Navi have on their moon. This will let the humans understand what they did to their planet and proceed to fix it.

Is saw the first movie and didn't really get what all the hubbub was about.

*crosses fingers and hopes for Avatar 2: Nuclear Fire*

Might not be a bad idea, actually. The first movie was sci-fi Pocahontas, and there's no way Avatar will take the same route that the Pocahontas sequels did.

If they do, I will destroy Cameron myself. With a gun that fires shurikens and lightning.

Let's hope they put more effort into writing the plot this time, instead of ripping off Dances with Wolves in Ferngully: The Last Rainforest.

Perhaps something imaginative and thought provoking? Or will that be too controversial?

Unfortunately, I do have the sinking feeling that the story and plot will be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)