EA Announces Dead Space 2: Severed - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA Announces Dead Space 2: Severed - UPDATED

Dead Space 2 was released today and that means it's time to announce Dead Space 2: Severed, the first DLC release for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that will bring back the lead characters from Dead Space: Extraction.

A prequel to the original Dead Space, Dead Space: Extraction was a Wii-exclusive rail shooter that's been ported for release as part of the PlayStation 3 version of Dead Space 2. It tells the unpleasant tale of a group of people attempting to escape the horror of Aegis VII, only to find that things aren't all that terribly much better aboard the ISS Ishimura. After being shot down on approach, they discover that the ship is infested with hideous, twisted necromorphs and find themselves trapped in a desperate battle for survival.

The first DLC release will see two of those characters, Gabe Weller and Lexine Murdock, return for an adventure that runs "parallel" to that of Isaac Clarke's in Dead Space 2. This time around, players will take on the role of Gabe, now employed as a security guard on the Sprawl, who must battle an onslaught of necromorphs in a desperate effort to get himself and Lexine to safety.

Dead Space 2: Severed is "coming soon" on the Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network, but there's no word yet whether it will be released for the PC. Dead Space 2 is out now for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and, yes, PC.

UPDATE: An Electronic Arts representative has confirmed that Dead Space: Severed will not be released for the PC.

Hopefully it will make it to PC too... Tired of Consoles getting all of it. Oh well, if it doesn't I'll just get it for Xbox, no big deal.

Fucking DLC, that's all I got to say. No matter what game.
Patches -> lovely.
DLC -> baddddddddddddddd.

That is very awesome. Extraction was quite good and seeing characters from that make a return is great. I wonder what happened to the third guy who survived till the end of the game...

Yopaz:
Hopefully it will make it to PC too... Tired of Consoles getting all of it. Oh well, if it doesn't I'll just get it for Xbox, no big deal.

Nope, sorry, EA just made it official. Console only.

Andy Chalk:

Yopaz:

Lame. That's all there is to say.

I still don't like game developers announcing DLC before the game is out in every territory...

I get that there is a ton of time between finalizing and shipping but still, couldn't they wait like a week?

Announcing it on the day it's released in America and before it's even out in Europe somewhat feels like a slap in the face...

Son of a bitch this is fucking annoying for PC gamers.

"Dead Space 2 was released today and that means it's time to announce Dead Space 2: Severed,"

That you say this without any hint of "WHAT THE FUCK?!" saddens me. Or at least, I didn't pick up any "what the fuck-ness".

I still don't get why DLC is made consoles only either if you've already got the full game on PC - it hasn't even launched in Europe yet.

Andy Chalk:

Yopaz:

*sighs*
For fucks sake. What is going on here?

PC gamers don't get demos, consoles get patches first, consoles get DLC first/exclusive.
:(

JeanLuc761:

Andy Chalk:

Yopaz:

*sighs*
For fucks sake. What is going on here?

PC gamers don't get demos, consoles get patches first, consoles get DLC first/exclusive.
:(

I dunno about patches, we're normally faster to the punch from what I've seen.

No. Seriously, the PC is getting a lot of this kind of shit happen. I suggest a petition. Would the Escapist mind if I heavily publicise one if I get it going? It is for a good cause; the battered ego's of the PC master race!

I'm assuming this means more people play games on consoles rather than PC's now-a-days? Hm.

In any case -- I got the Ultimate version: the PS3 version. I Should probably play extraction before I play DS2 then.

Woodsey:

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, though I could swear there were a couple games where the console version was patched first.

Oh for the love of the gods... that game just came out today and they're already talking about a frakking DLC packet for it?! This really makes me want to bang my head against a wall... D:

great, now we don't just release games in pieces but we don't distribute the pieces among all platforms.
this just sucks

So a game has just been released and there is dlc... Yeah dosent seem underhanded at all.

GoGo_Boy:
Fucking DLC, that's all I got to say. No matter what game.
Patches -> lovely.
DLC -> baddddddddddddddd.

Because this is a perfectly rational position that covers the entire scope of possible DLC.

Andy Chalk:

Yopaz:

Good thing I haven't bought the game yet. I guess this will mean I am getting the Xbox version then. Thanks a lot for telling me by the way. Appreciate it.

so let me get this straight, EA jacks up the price of the PC version to put it in line with consoles and are NOT going to offer the DLC. After that and the server issues I hear people had last night it seems like they are trying to do everything they can to irritate and deter their PC consumers from having any reason to support the games on the platform.

Wow..just wow, I really wish they would've announced the fact that there wouldn't be any DLC for the PC version before it released. Now they have my money and I have an inferior copy. This with the steam key problem, guess what EA, I am not going to support the Dead Space franchise anymore. I really hope the word of EA's nonsense gets out to gamers and their sales tank. Granted that will probably just give them the idea that supporting the PC isn't worth it, but I'm tired of getting jipped because I bought the game on the PC.
Hey EA, the PC is the easiest one to pirate and I didn't pirate it, but you still treat me like trash.

Andy Chalk:

UPDATE: An Electronic Arts representative has confirmed that Dead Space: Severed will not be released for the PC.

My first response was RAAWERERRARRARRRAGE!

But then I thought about it for a little bit: That's going to change. XBox 360 content is ridiculously easy to ship to PC as well; if it's paid DLC, EA would literally be taking money out of their pockets by not offering it for the PC. The only thing they're probably doing is waiting to see how many PC units ship before promising it.

And we all know how money grubbing EA is. Believe me, greed is the smart thing to bank on.

JeanLuc761:

Woodsey:

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, though I could swear there were a couple games where the console version was patched first.

No, it did happen with a few games. Right off the bat, I can tell you Borderlands was prioritized for patching on console. But we're digressing a bit.

My condolences to the PC boys, I know Andy's one of them. Hope Solid is right.

I look forward to this. Extraction was a rail shooter on an underpowered console, so it didn't really have much going for it, but the characters were interesting and the plot was well paced. I'm hoping they'll try to shake up the Dead Space formula somewhat in this DLC with new gameplay additions, maybe more focus on the survival & horror, or at least the story.

If it turns out to be just another few chapters of the same old Dead Space formula - that is, follow the glowing blue light, dismember enemies while backing up, follow blue light, repeat - I may think twice about buying it. Otherwise, count me in.

God dammit. I really hate that bullshit. I was going to pick this game up on Steam, but now i'm not sure if I'm even going to bother.

Andy Chalk:

Well, then.

As a fan of Extraction who's primarily a PC gamer, I'll just not play DS2 in protest.

Still hasn't come out in the EU :(

Better use the next couple of days wisely to complete a playthrough of Dead Space before getting it.

Not sure if I will get the DLC though, I just don't play Dead Space enough to really want to spend money on more content.

Andy Chalk:

Oh god, I can see the rage flying past my eyes already...

EDIT: jeez guys, I can already see people saying that they won't play the game because they aren't getting the DLC. So what you are saying is that you are going to skip out on all the fun of playing the game, just because you aren't getting that little extra content.

Sorry, but to me that just seems a bit childish...
I know that if I was going to buy the game on the PC, the loss of a bit of extra content wouldn't bother me a bit, if I really wanted the game.. In any other situation it seems people are just looking for something to complain about.

It's funny how EA has the gall to whine about piracy killing PC gaming and then pulls this nonsense. You know what'll really kill your sales for PC? Not releasing content for it.

Boo! Stupid console gaming master race nicking all of our stuff.

Didn't EA just(DEC 2010) purchase the campaignforpcgaming.com domain?

C95J:
EDIT: jeez guys, I can already see people saying that they won't play the game because they aren't getting the DLC. So what you are saying is that you are going to skip out on all the fun of playing the game, just because you aren't getting that little extra content.

Sorry, but to me that just seems a bit childish...
I know that if I was going to buy the game on the PC, the loss of a bit of extra content wouldn't bother me a bit, if I really wanted the game.. In any other situation it seems people are just looking for something to complain about.

Taking a stand against a big publisher treating PC gamers as some sort of second-class citizen gamer is hardly childish. If I wanted to be childish I could simply pirate the game.

I'm a fan of the characters from Extraction, so in a sense the DLC really means more to me than the main game.

JediMB:
Taking a stand against a big publisher treating PC gamers as some sort of second-class citizen gamer is hardly childish. If I wanted to be childish I could simply pirate the game.

I'm a fan of the characters from Extraction, so in a sense the DLC really means more to me than the main game.

Its just in my eyes, I wouldn't sacrifice the fun of a whole game because of some (probably unrelated) DLC. I most likely won't get it so it doesn't effect me regardless of gaming platform.

I can see where you are coming from, of course it's a valid point, and I am not insulting PC gamers, but it reminds me of children throwing a tantrum when they don't get there way...

dalek sec:
Oh for the love of the gods... that game just came out today and they're already talking about a frakking DLC packet for it?! This really makes me want to bang my head against a wall... D:

My point exactly! I was so jazzed about Marvel Capcom3 until I heard they were already talking DLC for it, and the damn game isn't even out yet. I don't mind paying for a little something extra down the line, new characters, stages, things to freshen up a game just as I'm whooping it with the last few characters, but this sort of thing with Deadspace just sounds like milking more cash out of the public.

C95J:

JediMB:

Its just in my eyes, I wouldn't sacrifice the fun of a whole game because of some (probably unrelated) DLC. I most likely won't get it so it doesn't effect me regardless of gaming platform.

I can see where you are coming from, of course it's a valid point, and I am not insulting PC gamers, but it reminds me of children throwing a tantrum when they don't get there way...

It will seem that way, but it has to be taken in the context of everything else happening. Like just in the last day crytek saying Xbox gets exclusive demo of a previous PC IP. As well as other stuff, so yes, it may seem like PC owners have a chip on their shoulders. Myself, I am sick of it. Publishers, either support the PC or don't. If the PC is now no-longer a viable platform put it out of it's misery. This drawn out second class treatment is just mean.

Now to be fair to EA. It maybe coming, but in some way that they would not label ad DLC. But the wording of the comments above seems pretty unambiguous.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here