Crytek Working on Fixing Crysis 2 Demo

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Crytek Working on Fixing Crysis 2 Demo

Users are reporting all kinds of glitches and problems, from freezing, to animation quirks, to not being able to connect to the demo at all.

The release of a multiplayer demo for Crysis 2 on the Xbox 360 yesterday means that people all around the world should be enjoying some hot, nanosuit action. Unfortunately for Crytek, a host of technical problems are making some peoples' action rather tepid.

The reported issues on the Crysis forums range from problems with hit detection, to misreported latency, to disconnection and freezing problems, and even animation and graphics glitches. What's more, some people claim that they cannot connect to the game at all, seemingly because they are using a wireless connection.

In a short statement, Crytek downplayed the number of complaints, saying that the technical problems were limited to just a few people. It thanked players - or would-be players in some cases - for their patience and support and said that it was working hard on fixing the problems. With the demo ending in just over a week, however, Crytek will have to move pretty quickly to get these bugs resolved in time.

It's a little surprising that these issues weren't picked up in the game's beta tests, although they'll almost certainly be ironed out before its release in March. This is quite bad news for Crytek though, because for better or worse, multiplayer plays a big role in making an FPS successful. If Crytek wants Crysis to take on the likes of Call of Duty, and producer Nathan Camarillo has said that he thinks the series can, it can't really afford to have these technical problems persist.

Crysis 2 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 22nd in North America, and March 25th in Europe.

Source: Shacknews

bodes well for the full game.

While i'm grateful that i've actually been able to connect i had noticed quite a few problems with the game, i assumed this was down to lag but if they can fix them then this is probably going to be a purchase for me, mostly because i loved the first game.

No, they're not working on fixing it...fixing it means releasing the demo on all of the platforms the full game going to be released on.

Hmm I may redownload if they fix it so the hit detection works, then they just need to fix the guns and controls.

GIJames:
No, they're not working on fixing it...fixing it means releasing the demo on all of the platforms the full game going to be released on.

Ninja'd

Was going to say by "fixing" do they mean realeasing the demo multiplatform just like the full game, I want to make sure without wasting my money that they at least made the PC version to PC specs, not dumbed down for the consoles

That's what you get for trolling other consoles. Suits them right...

Edit: wow, mega-ninja'd.

Hmm, I didn't notice any problems when playing it...

And while they're at it they can fix the broken melee too.

Well, this explains the bug I had. I started playing the Crysis 2 demo, but for some reason my multiplayer kept playing exactly like Modern Warfare.

I tell ya, it was weird.

Logan Westbrook:
it can't really afford to have these technical problems persist.

I don't know it probably will miss a bunch and still get away with it, I see no reasons why it should be held to different standards from the other buggy messes that get to keep the bugs AND the love.

well if it's that broken on 360, how broken will it be on PC? How about you give us a demo so we can see?

Also, FUCK THESE CAPTCHA THINGS. THAT ONE WAS IMPOSSIBLE

'A few user'? Yeah right.

Me and almost everyone I know has had it freeze the XBOX every time they try to join a game.

The hit detection seemed ok to me, but the kill-cam was completely WACKED . . . showing people shooting a wall, and then me dieing. Perhaps this is what people are talking about?

While they're at it, they should fix the terrible spawns as well.

Not impressed with the demo really.

I must be in the minority here, as I haven't had a lot of problems with the demo at all.

I've only had the game freeze up on me once. I once got a bug where when I started a match the screen was entirely black and slowly became lighter as if you were opening your eyes very slowly. That, and at times it takes freaking forever to get into a match (the only problem that really annoys me). Other than those three things, I haven't encountered too many problems at all.

If they can fix the "Takes forever to get into a match" bit I'll be happier, but since that's the only real problem I've faced so far I'm not going complain too much about the demo.

Yeah I would love to even connect but I guess the demo is "Searching for a game" for two hours. Ya know, makes sense.

Wait, they have to get a patch out in one week? It would be more wiser to initiate a different deadline week after the patch hit the game.

This reeks of wrong. I knew they couldn't walk their talk.

Seems the words beta and demo are pretty much interchangeable nowadays. But it's great that Xbox 360 owners are beta testing this and can point out problems before the game is released. Now PC owners know that Xbox 360 controller support will be bulletproof at launch.....

I view this game as an open beta not a demo.

The two things that really need fixing are the fact that it takes forever to connect to a game, and the fact that Falcon Punch is mapped to right stick. I swear, that melee is so broken. I could be spraying a full clip at someone and have them run up and punch me in the face.

Oh, and if you guys thought it was hard to connect by yourself, try connecting to a game when you have a squad. Impossible.

Wow, Cysis 2 has animation and graphics glitches. Who'da thunk?

MiracleOfSound:
'A few user'? Yeah right.

Me and almost everyone I know has had it freeze the XBOX every time they try to join a game.

I never had it freeze outright, though I did get dropped just after connecting a few times.

Over-all, though, there are a few glitches with the game. The melee attack being a big one.
Beyond that, though, the game is actually a blast to play. I had a great time. Aside from the afore-mentioned melee attack, I rarely had any COD-style BS kills. Every time I died it was legit. And every kill I got was legit. No 'Whoa, how did I pull that off?' kills.

I like it. The powers are fun, the guns are good, the levels are gorgeous, and the running, jumping, and climbing make for a way more interesting way of maneuvering around the map. I hope the fix the problems and extend the demo. I'd like to get some more time in with it!

Judging from the current replies I appear to be in the minority but...

I've enjoyed the game despite its similarities to the Modern Warfare series.

I have experienced only a handful of minor issues over a fairly large number of games, all of them animation issues (dying but my body still being stuck in a "living" pose which caused me to have a longer wait to respawn is an example).

However, regardless of my own experience clearly these problems do exist and are crippling for some players. This is the demo not the beta and combined with the short run time of the demo it is probably going to leave a bad taste for many players.
The only silver lining is that hopefully they'll have most of this fixed in time for launch... Going to wait to see the reviews before I consider purchasing though.

I ain't buying SHIT from Crytek without a PC demo.

Hot nanosuit action sounds really dirty. But that's what I expect from a multiplayer demo.

Wait weren't they just boasting how easy it is to make games with their engine a couple of days back...
Could it be they were just a little too full of themselves :D

To be blunt, if the demo (works properly for me) is representative of the final game then Crytek have lost a sale.

I was hoping for more Crysis, what they seem to have made is the bad bits of Crysis with features from Halo Reach and Call of Duty all mangled up in it.

I wanted huge expansive maps, I wanted my tanks and choppers and alien mistifying doodads, I wanted a degree of freedom and I wanted lots of players to join in. What I didn't want was another 16 player death match on a tiny roof top map with all the stuff I did want happening in the Skybox. That genre is already well covered.

I also wanted better sound, FarCry had wonderful chunk sounding guns, Crysis had distinct weapons sounds, customisation and great enviromentals. This was running around with an angry stapler, another thing well covered.

I'll rent Crysis 2 to give Crytek benefit of the doubt, but the demo gives the impression they've dropped into the same check list deevelopment that everyone else already does. On the 360 the graphics don't particularly hold up and it all feels a bit of wasted opportunity.

But we'll see in due time.

ActionDan:

I guess your not going to be buying it then.

Numachuka:

ActionDan:

I guess your not going to be buying it then.

There's two months until it comes out, I'm hoping they'll have the common sense to release one before then.

fix-the-spade:
To be blunt, if the demo (works properly for me) is representative of the final game then Crytek have lost a sale.

I was hoping for more Crysis, what they seem to have made is the bad bits of Crysis with features from Halo Reach and Call of Duty all mangled up in it.

I wanted huge expansive maps, I wanted my tanks and choppers and alien mistifying doodads, I wanted a degree of freedom and I wanted lots of players to join in. What I didn't want was another 16 player death match on a tiny roof top map with all the stuff I did want happening in the Skybox. That genre is already well covered.

I also wanted better sound, FarCry had wonderful chunk sounding guns, Crysis had distinct weapons sounds, customisation and great enviromentals. This was running around with an angry stapler, another thing well covered.

I'll rent Crysis 2 to give Crytek benefit of the doubt, but the demo gives the impression they've dropped into the same check list deevelopment that everyone else already does. On the 360 the graphics don't particularly hold up and it all feels a bit of wasted opportunity.

You covered my thoughts exactly.

The original Crysis is still one of my favorite games and I have no qualms about saying that it's possibly the finest shooter since Half-Life 2 or Battlefield 2. The freedom was unparalleled, the graphics were stunning, and the gameplay was deceptively intelligent. From everything I'm hearing, your post included, all of that has been tossed aside.

Well, for what it's worth, I thought the demo was pretty good. I mean, it has a couple of issues with hit detection and connection to the game, but it's a demo. Bad Company 2's demo had the same problems.

What I am worried about, however, is the fact that they released a multiplayer demo and not a single player. The last thing I want is for Crysis to turn into some multiplayer-focused, 5-hour-long-linear-campaign monstrosity.

Only problem i've had is connecting to a game with my friends.

Fun as hell demo though, and i'm considering picking up the full game.

fix-the-spade:

I know it's a bit harsh to judge it on a one-level multiplayer demo, but on reading that description, my first thought was "dumbed down for consoles".[1]

[1] Before any console gamers whinge at me, I'm referring more to the fact that consoles have pathetic amounts of RAM, even compared to the PCs of 2007, when Crysis 1 was launched. Instead of thinking of technical solutions to this problem (see: Just Cause 2), they just dumbed the design down so consoles can run it. Hence my post.

my xbox crashes almost every time, lots of lag, but overall pretty fun

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or