Nintendo Reveals New Kirby Adventure [UPDATED]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Reveals New Kirby Adventure [UPDATED]

An investors meeting isn't the most high-profile of venues to announce a game, but an inauspicious start doesn't make the new Kirby game look any less fun.

Kirby's comeback on home consoles isn't just limited to Epic Yarns, as Nintendo has revealed a new Kirby game for the Wii. The side-scrolling adventure is currently in development at Nintendo's HAL Laboratory and will be the second Kirby game to appear on the Wii.

Nintendo revealed the game as part of an investors meeting to discuss its third quarter earnings. When the details of the meeting hit the company's website, Nintendo added a short - not to mention tiny - video of the game in action. In just 35 seconds Kirby dodges a trio of falling rock pillars, busts up enemies with an enormous cutlass, summons a dragon made of fire, and blasts foes with a miniature cannon. That's on top of his trademark move of inhaling assailants and turning them into star-shaped projectiles in his belly.

The game doesn't have an official title or a release date yet, but the video makes it look like it's nearly finished. Hopefully, Nintendo will provide some concrete information about the game soon, and with any luck we won't have long to wait until it comes out.

UPDATE: The video from the Nintendo website has made its way to YouTube. The quality has suffered a little after being made so much bigger than the original, but you can still see how much fun the game looks.

Source: VG247

Looks pretty good. I gotta say, though, I'm more-interested in the video above it -- that airplane ping-pong looks interesting.

Looks pretty sweet. Kinda excited now.

So, this will be a REAL kirby game in stead of that yarn thingy? Sweet...

Hooray!

More Kirby is only a good thing.

Never been a hardcore Kirby fan, but I like that video.

Nintendo's gonna lasso another 50 bucks from me soon,can't wait till it gets out.

Do those Kirbys (Kirbies?) look like they're made out of Twizzlers to anyone else?

this looks good. A classic style kirby game. Haven't played one like that since crystal shards on the n64. What took them so long?

OH MY GOD, KIRBY ADVENTURE! OH MY GOD, KIRBY ADVENTURE!!!
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME FOR 6 FREAKIN' YEARS!!!!!!!!

Ooh pwetty!

This almost makes me want to buy a Wii... Almost.

That was awesome. I may have added a third game to my Wii library.

I'm glad to see Kirby suck again.

Really!

we'll see, I was actually hyped up for the last game and it ended up being a let down.

...SOLD!!

*goes to remove two years worth of dust from Wii*

Is it just me, or does it look like they borrowed some elements from Kirby: Right Back At Ya? I'm talkin' about his suction animation and Water Kirby :P

Whoh. Kirby has been beefing up. Super-sucking and super attacks. I likey.

The falling rock pillars remind me of DKCR. I wonder if they'll share elements in level design.

In any case... YAY!

OK, this looks fantastic! Kirby was one of the few franchises I missed out on when it was fresh, but even without the veneer of nostalgia, I still find it quite enjoyable.

That said, I saw a 1-Up in that video. Nintendo is SOOOO damn reluctant to give up the whole notion of lives. It has its place, but come on guys! They're practically useless now. Why don't you keep track of deaths in some statistics page instead? Or just not worry about it because everyone else in the industry has moved past that stage by now?

coldfrog:
OK, this looks fantastic! Kirby was one of the few franchises I missed out on when it was fresh, but even without the veneer of nostalgia, I still find it quite enjoyable.

That said, I saw a 1-Up in that video. Nintendo is SOOOO damn reluctant to give up the whole notion of lives. It has its place, but come on guys! They're practically useless now. Why don't you keep track of deaths in some statistics page instead? Or just not worry about it because everyone else in the industry has moved past that stage by now?

It's not like 1-ups detract from the games.

Also, YAY! More Kirby! :D

Well if I needed a genuine reaosn to own my Wii (which honestly, I do).

This is it.

sweet! I liked epic yarn but I am more happy to see a normal kirby game coming out

If this actually comes out, awesome. But how many canceled Kirby games have there been for home consoles? If this game actually makes it to stores, then I'll get excited. Until then, I'm going to pretend I didn't see this.

That looks FUN.

Epic Yarn was epic, but not near as much so as Kirby Super Star. This one looks more like that or the classic Kirby games.

FRIGGIN' SWEET!

Please tell it'll resemle crystal shards (N64). That game was awesome.

this is the sequel to kirby 64 that I always wanted

Looks cool, kirby seems to have increased in power though.

The moment I saw 'new Kirby game' I had already stored away money for it's release and if I did have any doubts the video would have solved them anyway. Living in the UK I have still yet to be blessed with Kirby's Epic Yarn but now I've got two games of my favourite franchise to look forward too.

The game looks amazing, the powered up moves are interesting though my favourite one was the regular Kirby suction simply for the fact that he won't need a power to use it, and the new abilities are a lot more creative that what I think would come next.

I'm so glad that Nintendo didn't simply follow on with the sucess of Epic Yarn and create later maistream Kirby games in the same style. I know the yarn worked brilliantly and all but it would be irritating to see them take advantage of the sucess and push aside the classic gameplay in favour of making sequel after sequel involving the yarn. Epic Yarn works better as being a one-off, a shining jewel without a comparison in it's franchise in terms of style. Good on you Nintendo, keep the Kirby love coming.

holy shit, now thats the fucken kirby I know and love

Wow, nobody noticed Indiana Jones Kirby? Check the video again, it's the one with the red hat. Anyway, my little sister loved Epic Yarn (which helps alleviate the fact that I had to trade in 4 or 5 games to get it), so I'm sure she'll enjoy this. I hope it doesn't come out too soon, though, because I'm also getting Skyward Sword for my brother. Dammit, Nintendo, I'm a college student on a budget!

...Isn't this the old GCN Kirby game that they were working on for years after Air Raid? The one that got transferred to Wii and the cancelled after years of plodding along. I remember they ended up using the engine to make SSB:Brawl.

Considering this also looks a lot like that same engine, either they're finally going to finish making that game, or you got some really old information and a big ol' rumor going.

Hell yes.

Please be like crystal shards :|

Well, I just lost another $120

Hopefully they'll release it in the PAL region at the same time as every othe region, unlike Epic Yarn which we're still bloody waiting for. Seriously, didn't it come out in North America and Japan like 4 or 5 months ago? And we still have to wait another 2 months. What the hell?

I love Kirby, so I'm still gonna buy Epic Yarn even though Nintendo have pissed me off with this stupid release date, but I'm buying it pre-owned just to spite them. If they release this new one at a reasonable date compared to the rest of the world, I'll buy it brand new just to show my gratitude.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here