Modders Recreate Halo Deathmatch in Minecraft

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Modders Recreate Halo Deathmatch in Minecraft

Halocraft takes the multiplayer deathmatch mode from Halo and makes it all blocky.

A group of creators have followed up on Minecraft's PvP implementation by modding a Halo deathmatch mode into the title. Dubbed Halocraft, the mod features an actual Halo level, and actual Spartans running around shooting each other.

YouTube's SidolaTehNerd uploaded a video of the mod that shows him engaged in a deathmatch with another Minecraft player. They're running around a classic recreation of Halo 2's Lockout map. Sidola added in textures and sounds to give it the proper feel.

Sidola says the mod is run on a "simple hMod server." It gives players a gun when they spawn and uses kits for an allotment of ammunition. To handle death, the server links multiple teleport locations to one point so it can randomly generate a spawn location.

It's examples like this that show exactly why Minecraft is so popular. Marcus "Notch" Persson and Mojang Specifications haven't finished the game yet, but its structure allows players to create just about anything they want to keep themselves entertained in the meantime. Halo multiplayer on the Xbox 360 might look better, but there's an appeal to the simpler Minecraft version too.

Source: Reddit

Yeah, next thing you know we'll be playing the campaign in Minecraft too

I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.

That's pretty impressive. Minecraft is so open ended.

And addictive...must...stop...building giant castle 0_O

Pandaman1911:
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.

It more that the only way to get mods implemented involves reverse engineering and hacking into his code. A Mod SDK is in the pipeline, presumably before formal release.

I'm hoping for some goldeneye levels. Pleeeeeeeeeease.

As much as this game makes my blood boil this was very cool. Well done!

Now I'll be really impressed if they made Blood Gulch, with the proper vehicles.

Tom Goldman:
...but its structure allows players to create just about anything they want to keep themselves entertained in the meantime...

As others have hinted at, this is not really true. The only modding that Minecraft currently supports is texture mods. However this hasn't stopped people from decompiling Minecraft and recompiling their own, "modded" versions of the game. Notch (creator of Minecraft) officially doesn't like or support this (as it is also, probably, illegal) but seems to tolerate it.

i can see it now.
"La-de-da, just punchin' some trees so I can build myself a nice log ca- *BAM*"

Knowing me, the first thing I'd do upon getting Minecraft is to accidentally join this server.

Is there anything minecraft cant do?

So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.

This thing is amazing, it does thing beyond the capabilities I imagined it had.

But...but...but, there's no crouch in Minecraft!

SnipErlite:
Minecraft is so open ended.

And addictive...must...stop...building giant castle 0_O

I second that.....though in ,my case it's more like "Must stop building Giant Fortress of doom, with a skull in front, mob traps, and all other stuff"

LoneGunmanO23:

Yeah there is...

And ohh cool, may try and try it out some time!

Daemascus:
Is there anything minecraft cant do?

it cant make an English muffin without burning it.......

compare that to "Play TF2" and you can see which one is more probable.

OT: I kind of just want the code they used for improved arrows, remodeling the bow to a mock-up of a gun would be easy enough, and it would actually make me use bows/arrows more than using my mega-death dispenser 4000 every time a sheep wanders across my kill zone at night.

Meh, needs a diamond sword that does 10 damage.

Pandaman1911:

He's very clearly said he doesn't want any of the modded version problems ending up on his bug list. Other than that...

Does anyone know how to get a hold of these guys? As a modder, I'd love to ask these guys some questions.

Aaron.R:
So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.

Saw this post coming a mile away.

OP: good for them. Shows that minecraft is capable of making almost anything.

BabySinclair:
Yeah, next thing you know we'll be playing the campaign in Minecraft too

on that thought the flood would be an interesting mob for minecraft a self replicating nighttime enemy

LoneGunmanO23:

Someone clearly didn't watch the video

I'm not even a Halo fan but I'm impressed. Now all they need is a firefight mode, with spiders and creepers.

I really like how the lockout map is even hanging high in the air. It's a true replica.

It's just a texture pack. all that is modded is the SMP get stuff when you re spawn. Notch is trying to make the game more Mod friendly.

LoneGunmanO23:

Have you even played minecraft? Crouch is the shift button its been around for a long time.

RedRussian:

Aaron.R:

Saw this post coming a mile away.

OP: good for them. Shows that minecraft is capable of making almost anything.

Thank you for finding the opinion I formed on this article to be both agreeable and quickly recognisable :)

To be fair, it's technically impressive, but seems kind of pointless. I mean, it definitely showcases the diversity of Minecraft's engine (after it's been hacked to pieces) for future modders who might be a bit more creative. But I don't understand people going "Oh wowza, gosh I hope they make this map from Halo with this feature from Halo. Then I can pretend I'm playing Halo!" Halo already exists in many basically identical iterations, so just go play Halo.

This is really cool, I might just have to buckle and try this game.

It's 'Slayer' Mr. Goldman. 'Slayer', not Deathmatch. Get it right.

Halo today tomorrow the world... oh wait.

haha, Oh man. That's pretty creative. Can't wait until we see someone build Castlevania.

x

Pandaman1911:

"If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. I'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changes.

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belong to you. You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money."

Source: http://www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp
----------------------
OT: Notch would have no problem with this at all. As long as you don't distribute the images as art or redistribute the game as it is for sale then you can modify it in anyway you want and sell the plugins. So this mod would be a very plausible and legal addition to the game.

Aaron.R:

Flame bait much?

OT:Seems pretty cool, and if Minecraft can do that, what else can it do?

From the looks of it, it has elements of both, and the fun of neither.

The Rookie Gamer:

Aaron.R:

Flame bait much?

My bad kimosabe, I must have overlooked the part that said you may only post if you think this is great, and of course love Halo like a twelve year old. It's not like this is an open discussion or anything.

Aaron.R:

The Rookie Gamer:

Aaron.R:

Flame bait much?

My bad kimosabe, I must have overlooked the part that said you may only post if you think this is great, and of course love Halo like a twelve year old. It's not like this is an open discussion or anything.

Sorry, but most of the time, insulting popular games without posting valid reasonings, and ending on a sarcastic note could be flamebaiting. Just a heads up, no sarcasm intended.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here