Final Fantasy IV: Complete Takes Airship Out of Japan

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Takes Airship Out of Japan

Square Enix has confirmed that the Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection will come to North America and Europe.

The gorgeous PSP remake of Final Fantasy IV that was barely announced two months ago has been confirmed for Europe and the U.S. Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection is poised to become the best version of the title yet, until Square Enix decides to re-release it again.

Square Enix has given FFIV: Complete Collection a graphical overhaul, but kept it within the style of the original SNES version. The box includes both Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, a cellphone and WiiWare release that tells the story of what happened after IV. In addition, it'll feature a brand new scenario that links the two games together and a gallery mode with illustrations by longtime Final Fantasy concept artist Yoshitaka Amano

Square Enix's North American announcement for the game has lagged behind the European announcement, but an Amazon page pretty much seals the deal. It also reveals bonuses that include the "original SNES soundtrack, an all-new intro movie and cinematic CGI sequences from previous release, and a monster encyclopedia that covers details of over 300 enemies are all included within the game." There's no word on any sort of collector's edition like the one released in Japan, but that monster encyclopedia sounds fun.

I have a lot less issues with a company that constantly re-releases its titles when they're done in this format, seemingly like tributes rather than straight-up grabs at cash. Plus, at $30 (according to Amazon), it's set at a pretty decent price.

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection is expected to be released in Europe and North America in spring 2011.

Now all we need are V and VI to be made in beautiful 2d sprites.

I don't know why they bother releasing these things to the relatively limited PSP market. Online distribution would make more sense to me. Go multi-platform, larger install base, cut distribution costs. Seems like a nice game and a respectful treatment, but the release details make me wonder. It's not the route I would have taken. And why wouldn't people sit down to play this on a console? Independent releases have been flourishing on several platforms and many of them aren't as polished as this.

4 was awesome but we already got a remake on the DS...and I already own it. Remind me why aren't they remaking 7?

They would make an absolute killing releasing these remakes over XBLA. Get on it!

why is it that VI never gets this treatment?

shadowstriker86:

What I'm curious about is V, which would be the perfect pick-up-and-play FF game. It's insane that they'd remake Final Fantasy IV so many times and ignore the one that was practically designed for short spurts of play time.

Dear Squenix:

Steam.

That is all.

Ghengis John:
I don't know why they bother releasing these things to the relatively limited PSP market.

Japan.

Man I haven't played 4 in a while, not since the GBA version. Can't wait to pick it up, and I hope the North American version also comes with Dissidia 2 DLC like they did in Japan. Be cool to have Cecils After Years costume or something as the DLC.

Even if After Years isn't as good as 4 from what I've heard, it's worth it just to replay 4.

It's a shame that I have to rip games just so that I don't have to do their phony software updates :P.

For sure I'm going to pre-order this right now though. I am an insatiable consumer whore for any Final Fantasy from 12 and below (if we act like X and XI never happened).

I will never understand the Final Fantasy nomenclature.

3nimac:
I will never understand the Final Fantasy nomenclature.

Might as well put it into perspective for you. Apparently, the original "Final Fantasy" title was actually a last ditch effort by a dying development studio. There was never going to be another, hence the name. It revived the studio, surprisingly enough, and they've stuck with it since.

Consider it a name that accidentally became a lie.

Take the story with a grain of salt, though. I've never really bothered to verify the veracity of the claim, so it could be amusingly concocted BS.

If not, though, it's kind of a neat story.

shadowstriker86:

Seriously, get to work on VI. Its the best game in the whole Final Fantasy series.

Cool, IV is my favorite Final Fantasy (screw VII and its emo bullshit) and now I will finally get some usage out of my PSP which is now collecting dust in a box somewhere.

A monster encyclopedia? So what, they're just gonna photoshop pallete swap maybe 13 different monster designs and call that a bonus?

I just don't get why they keep remaking IV. It was good, but most fans consider VI, VII, and X to be the best in the series. It's just so arbitrary..

Roganzar:

shadowstriker86:

Seriously, get to work on VI. Its the best game in the whole Final Fantasy series.

Hear, hear.
I mean, it's nice to have a seamless integration of the sequel to IV attached and all, but this is the fourth release this game has seen! (not counting emulation)
Where's the love for their best story structure to date? VI is long overdue for a remake.

The last version of FFIV I purchased was on the GameBoy Advance.

I found it pretty frustrating because of the random battles that just took too long to play through. It would take 15 minutes just to see what's at the end of a corridor.

I eventually played it up until getting that FuSoYa (or whatever his name was) in my party but then I lost patience with the arduous chore of too-long random battles and never played it again.

Although after hearing about this new release, I'm tempted to pick it up and give it one more go.

Damn you, Squeenix, and your temptingly tasty treats...

Excellent. I'll probably buy this because I sold my copy of Final Fantasy IV DS. And personally, I always preferred FF titles on the Playstation series, but that's just me.

ANImaniac89:
Cool, IV is my favorite Final Fantasy (screw VII and its emo bullshit) and now I will finally get some usage out of my PSP which is now collecting dust in a box somewhere.

Just wondering, what was so emo about it?

That doesn't look like updated graphics to me. DS version looks way better.

Yes! For once they focus on a Final Fantasy that isn't 7.

And it's on the PSP too. Thank you Square for being sensible for once.

shadowstriker86:

Because bad games don't deserve to be revived.

Pendragon9:
Yes! For once they focus on a Final Fantasy that isn't 7.

And it's on the PSP too. Thank you Square for being sensible for once.

Sensible for once? How so?

Whether or not I will get this depends in part on the battle system, if it is the same system as III then I might but if it is the system used in games such as VII or VIII I most likely won't.

Roganzar:

shadowstriker86:

[quote="Pendragon9" post="7.262008.9880264"]Yes! For once they focus on a Final Fantasy that isn't 7.

I am playing through it right now for the first time and for the life of me can't understand why people say that. It really isn't that good and is in fact bothering the hell out of me.
Um, they have remade FF 1-4 several times with no remake of 7. All 7 has gotten was a good looking CGI movie, and several bad sequels.

jck4332:

shadowstriker86:

Beacuse VI doesn't need such a treatment. It was developed at the peak of 2D technology, when developers were capable of making breath-takingly beautiful games. Like fine wine, many games of that era have aged very well and look great to this day.

Why does VI need beautiful 2D sprites when it already has beautiful 2D sprites? It is a great-looking game even today. Not to mention that remakes are a touchy subject, since developers can end up doing something that the fans don't like. So why mess with something that is already good...no, great? All it needs is a (more or less) direct port, akin to Chrono Trigger DS.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this collection. I loved the original game on the SNES and I will be purchasing a PSP in a few days, so this is preety much a must have. Plus, since I don't use digital distribution services, this is preety much the only way I can get my hands on The After Years.

Tom Phoenix:

jck4332:

shadowstriker86:

Beacuse VI doesn't need such a treatment. It was developed at the peak of 2D technology, when developers were capable of making breath-takingly beautiful games. Like fine wine, many games of that era have aged very well and look great to this day.

Why does VI need beautiful 2D sprites when it already has beautiful 2D sprites? It is a great-looking game even today. Not to mention that remakes are a touchy subject, since developers can end up doing something that the fans don't like. So why mess with something that is already good...no, great? All it needs is a (more or less) direct port, akin to Chrono Trigger DS.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this collection. I loved the original game on the SNES and I will be purchasing a PSP in a few days, so this is preety much a must have. Plus, since I don't use digital distribution services, this is preety much the only way I can get my hands on The After Years.

You know what I agree with you there. However, a downloadable port on PSN that you can play on the PS3 and/or PSP would be nice. I love the port of Chrono Trigger, (the best game of all time,..ever) and I know that I would be more than happy to purchase a Final Fantasy VI that was released like that. Square Enix put Final Fantasy VII up like that. I ask, would it really be that hard to do? Especially since there already is a "cleaned up" PSone copy out there, Final Fantasy Anthology.

If they do something like this with Final Fantasy VI, I might have to get a PSP. Although I would rather see it put on a console.

Wow, good thing I just bought a PSP!

wow. i almost want to say fuck you square enix because i can't deal with all these teases and re-releasing games. I can't afford all these now. I love the look and i love the games but i don't have enough love to go around. And the time..the time it takes to play...dear god what have they done. If I went to play these titles they have i would never be able to finish learning C++

I bought and beat the GBA remake (not the NDS one) already. I'm intrigued though if only for the encyclopedia and, gallery. Yoshitaka Amano is my absolute favorite artist after all ^^;

shadowstriker86:

Because Squeenix wants you to forget just what a masterpiece VI was---their 3D efforts have been just plain embarrassing (yes, including 7.) They'd rather leave VI in the museum.

Although really, if they were to add voice acting and fully animated cutscenes and whatever all else to a remake of that game, it would absolutely shatter the images that were originally left to the imagination of the players back when you had to imagine voices for the characters if you wanted to. Poor voice acting (or even good-but-not-mind-bendingly-awesome voice acting) would cause a monumental backlash.

I am pleased to hear this.

Freakout456:
4 was awesome but we already got a remake on the DS...and I already own it. Remind me why aren't they remaking 7?

Square Enix are apparently afraid of money...

I already own a version of this game so I'll pass.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here