China Uses Top Gun Footage to Fake Military Strength

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

China Uses Top Gun Footage to Fake Military Strength

China fancies itself a maverick, but it might be just a goose.

China's state-run television media outlet CCTV recently came under fire for the misuse of a scene from Top Gun in a broadcast. The network was airing a segment about the country's fighter jets, and apparently thought it needed a little more excitement that only a Tom Cruise movie could provide.

The segment, covering the People's Liberation Army's Air Force, included footage of the J-10 fighter jet soaring through the clouds. In one spot, a J-10 fires off a missile, and CCTV then shows an exploding jet from Top Gun. Smartly, it doesn't leave in the next scene where Tom Cruise celebrates.

State-run Chinese media outlets have been criticized in the past for inappropriate use of intellectual property, and quite obviously it's just happened again. In this day and age, I think it'd be pretty tough to convince anyone that the explosion shown on CCTV was real. CCTV has reportedly removed all links to the Top Gun story, but hasn't admitted to any wrongdoing.

The whole situation is beyond silly. It'd be like if U.S. media did a story on the war in Iraq and spliced in footage from Rambo. At the same time, I'm a little impressed by the gusto of someone at CCTV.

Thanks for the tip Amarante228!

Source: Wall Street Journal

Is anyone surprised? Blowing up planes costs money.

Akalabeth:
Is anyone surprised? Blowing up planes costs money.

I am, they could be put to death for questioning the Chinese Gov. That guy who stood up in to the tanks in Teniman Square, he could be dead, and it (EDIT: his refuge style life of solitude) could all be a fake. Its not too far stretched a thought.

I think it's kinda funny and sad, but mostly funny. If they had to steal some footage from a movie you would think they'd take it from some obscure movie and not TOP GUN.

Also, using footage from Rambo to make a story about the Iraq war would be awesome, at least then it wouldn't have lasted as long and not as confusing.

Well at least they know how to copy and paste.

Apparently planes always explode in the same way.

Well, all I can say is lol.

Top Gun's pretty awesome. I wish more people would use Top Gun footage instead of the regular old... actual news footage.

So our jobs aren't enough, You have to steal our movies as well?

"What happened to you China? You used to be cool."

I'm amazed that they even thought people would be convinced that you could actually get a camera shot at that angle and distance.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's insane, I can't believe they'd try something like that. What the hell is wrong with them?

Oh well, way to spice it up guys.

Wow! China's military is fueled by the power of copyright infringement.

Next thing they'll make a stealth bomber that looks eerily like an F-22

Lame... They're now just military trolls trying to instill a little fear in us.
Or should I say... *puts on sunglasses*... Mili-trolls?

What's that? China reproduced something that isn't theirs? I'm surprised.

Silly silly china

LOL. thats funny thought I don't really find it that surprising.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of the giant statue/reality revision they pulled off about a month ago?

Ten bucks says they ban the footage and claim it never existed.

So..... Dose this mean Top Gun came from China?

HankMan:

Hey, China still cool. You pay later. Later!

I wonder if it was the overuse of tabacco graduated filters that gave the footage away, am I right? *crickets chirp*

That is just too damn funny. China and the support the troops matter. When people learnnof this their morale will be -50.

Well I, for one, am OUTRAGED that Top Gun dared to rip off the Chinese government's real life footage for use in their movie!

Oh, you China, you... when will you ever learn that people on the internet, as well as your own teenage populace, are smarter than your military and propaganda leaders.

I guess China is on the alternates plaque.

da dun tish

that was like half a second of footage who the hell noticed that in the first place.

HankMan:

"H-Hey! We still cool! China still cool!!"

Haha, Simpsons reference!

OT:

This could be a weird coincidence.

Top Gun is a worldwide famous movie ... way to pick some obscure footage!! ... lol ... this has to take the title for Fail of the year

Hey maybe they'll use a scene from Aliens next showing off their new automatic turrets.

pffpt, thats nothing, check out the US navy's test for their rail gun

Klagermeister:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

On topic: This doesn't surprise me. China's been stealing other country's stuff for a very long time.

For some strange reason this doesn't surprise me at all.

enzilewulf:
Well at least they know how to copy and paste.

Thats pretty much what their economy runs on.

I'm more impressed that someone actually noticed the split second explosion was the same. My respect to whomever spotted that one!

Classic China

Pretty impressive detective work by whoever noticed this.

Klagermeister:

That's MY schtick! >(

MAVERIIIIIICK!!!!

Though I have to say, a story about the Iraq war with spliced-in Rambo intrigues me. Tell me more.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here