Capcom Continues Online DRM Scheme for Offline PSN Titles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Capcom Continues Online DRM Scheme for Offline PSN Titles

If your PlayStation 3 isn't connected to the internet and you want to play Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, tough noogies.

When Capcom revived Final Fight on the PlayStation Network in in 2010, it introduced a DRM scheme that required players to be connected to the internet even when playing offline. Despite the ire raised by the scheme, Capcom is still using it in the recent release of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2.

The big difference is that Rearmed 2 doesn't have any online modes, so players have little reason to connect their PS3s to the internet other than to verify their game is legitimate. Players can log out of the PSN to resume playing offline, but there doesn't appear to be any way around the check. On a positive note, Capcom at least warns customers of the requirement this time.

One reason Capcom and other companies have implemented this security method is due to PS3 owners sharing their PSN titles. Apparently an online check stops PSN sharing, but I don't engage in the practice so I can't verify this for sure.

I totally understand why Capcom feels the need to protect itself from every form of piracy it can, but it should also realize that these types of DRM schemes turn off legitimate customers. Yes, many PS3 owners have their systems connected to the internet 24/7, especially if they're users of the PSN and download games. However, using the PSN does not guarantee that a player will always have an internet connection available, and that's the issue.

At the core, there's just something that feels very wrong about requiring an internet connection to play a game offline. Capcom's situation isn't Ubisoft bad, which requires a stable connection throughout the entirety of gameplay, but it's still going to be a fly in certain players' ears. There must be a better way.

Source: SixAxis

Release the hounds!

Well that sounds like a pain. I don't have any interest in the game, but considering my net keeps cutting out and I don't currently have my PS3 set up to use the net, I don't think I'll be gaining interest any time soon.

This is a smudge on Capcom's reputation to me though, despite not affecting me personally.

Yup, here's a title I won't be buying. I only connect my PS3 to the internet when I see a title I wanna pick up on PSN, not a fan of running all the updates all the time so I just keep myself logged out the majority. DRM on a console? Yeah, I'm tired enough of dealing with it on my PC.

Thank you, pirates. Thanks a bunch.
You will of course hack this game, by pass the security and play it offline on your microwave.
While the honest buyer has to put up with this shit again.

I don't agree with Capcom on this, at all. But I find it hard to blame them solely for this terrible idea.

Good. DRM is an important facet of gaming. Without it, people could just play the game whenever they want.

Whats the big deal? You need the internet to get the game anyways. It always amazes me how much people complain over things like this.

You'll have to forgive me for this, (points finger, sticks tongue out) ahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (retracts tongue)

Firmware updates
Compatability issues
Game updates
CD Keys
Second hand 'unlocking' fees
Always on DRM

Games consoles have officially become PCs.
Which begs a very serious question, in the cyclical swing of publisers favouring PC/console releases, currently swung over towards the consoles, how long before the swing goes back the other way.

Or more to the point, how long before the lines between pure PC, media centre and games console vanish altogether, they're getting pretty blurry now. It also begs the question of what the 'next generation' will be if even console are resorting to the same counter productive levels of DRM as the PC crowd.

Meh, doesn't bother me. My PS3's connected to the internet 24/7, and you do need to be online to actually get the game in the first place, so I don't really understand much of the bitching.

Unspeakable:
Good. DRM is an important facet of gaming. Without it, people could just play the game whenever they want.

The sarcasm is strong in this one. :P

Anyway, console gamers, welcome to the world that PC gamers are constantly forced to experience. I suggest you buckle yourself in and hang tight....it is only going to get worse from here on out.

oh? and i was planning on buying this today. was, being the key word there.

I wish consoles never gained the ability to go online

Daemascus:
Whats the big deal? You need the internet to get the game anyways. It always amazes me how much people complain over things like this.

Not all people have their consoles connected to the net 24/7.

I feel like I'm copypasting

I will never buy a game that

1. requires phone home just to install
2. limits my install in any way, unlimited install on unlimited machines only
3. isn't an mmo but requires a phone home to play, or requires any kind of online connection to play purely single player
4. is a non-mmo but has a multiplayer capability, but doesn't have the capability to host servers if I so choose or play on a lan (I'm looking at you starcraft 2)

Doesn't affect me much, since I'm not interested in the game itself, and my ps3 is always connected.

buy teh haloz:
Meh, doesn't bother me. My PS3's connected to the internet 24/7, and you do need to be online to actually get the game in the first place, so I don't really understand much of the bitching.

I can see one problem with this, one way that people could complain about it.

Since I don't have a PS3, I will use my 360 as an example:

At least once a week, I drive out to a friend's house for a game night with said friend and another friend. We all have 360s and we play separate games as well as play some custom Halo maps against each other. This friend, doesn't have a good enough internet connection to have 360s hooked to it.

Let's say that Capcom does this DRM with a game on the 360. If I wanted to show the game to my friends or let them play it on my 360, then they wouldn't be able too since we can't connect to the internet to verify.

My example is a very narrow one, not everybody has game nights way out in the country, but it is a point.

---------------------------------

While this DRM is a little annoying, I would be fine with it since it is another way to stop the nasty pirates.

There would be a lot less of this DRM, if people would do the right thing and stand behind the game companies in the the fight against pirating, as well as understand that gaming is a privilege and a want, not a need. If you can't afford a game you "want" to play, too bad, that is life. If you want to see what a game is like before you buy it, rent it, or play a demo, watch videos of people playing or reviewing it.

I wholeheartedly believe that half problem comes from people that believe that they deserve to play a game and not have to pay the price for it. The other half are people that think that pirating to snub the companies because they make DRM and that it will make them stop making DRM(which of course won't happen because the DRM comes about because of the thing they are doing to snub them).

Capcom once again screws over legit consumers.

Well, I am going to say it..You know what I am going to say but I won't say it because the Escapist is always so fickle about it and likes to pretend their userbase doesn't know the term or how to do it of that word.

I know I am overreacting, don't go mad! Capcom has to revise their DRM schemes to be a little more gentle!

Daemascus:

Femaref:

Daemascus:

Why not?

Good question but easily answered. I like to take my console to some countries at times or places without internet and still would like to play my legally purchased "Licenses".

Straying Bullet:

Daemascus:

Femaref:

Why not?

Good question but easily answered. I like to take my console to some countries at times or places without internet and still would like to play my legally purchased "Licenses".

I guess but most people leave their consle in one place at home.

Veloxe:
Release the hounds!

quite on cue this comment made my day!!

anyway.... i would whine and cry about this, if it werent for the fact that PS cant do "Shit" to prevent hackers or pirates from copying the game and selling it

its an intrusive DRM, but i feel a necesary one, when every single mayor problem on the PS3 is fixed, i would call for a "removal" of that DRM, but for now i can understand Capcom nto wanting to lose its game.

I think this is Ubisoft bad. Seriously, my internet has gone out during hours of game time, and I would be incredibly pissed if my game suddenly told me to screw off because my internet wasn't hooked up.

Sonic Doctor:

There would be a lot less of this DRM, if people would do the right thing and stand behind the game companies in the the fight against pirating, as well as understand that gaming is a privilege and a want, not a need. If you can't afford a game you "want" to play, too bad, that is life. If you want to see what a game is like before you buy it, rent it, or play a demo, watch videos of people playing or reviewing it.

that sounds beautifull, untill you realize that you are talking to the guys that acutally BUY the game and are still getting "F&%ed" by intrussive and not well thought DRMīs

its a privilege! i get it!! but i still payed for that priviledge, and after paying for something it is my RIGHT to go and do whatever i want with the product, i grant you that we shall all stand behind the developers and encourage them instead of acting like jerks and downloading every game just out of spite, but its kind of hard to stand behind someone who is behind you poking you in the A$$

Daemascus:

Femaref:

Daemascus:

Why not?

Not everyone has reliable always on internet or have download limits (thus leaving it on wastes download), not that I have those issues, but you've got to remember there are countries where always on isn't standard.

Dp you remmeber when there used to be this clear distinction between consoles and Pcs that wasn't just "Can't use a keyboard, hardware is set"? Now consoles seem to be getting all of the bullshit with little of the benefits.

For those who just read the headline, the DRM doesn't shut the game down if you get cut off from the internet, you just need to be logged on when you start the game.

This measure is not going to do anything about people posting torrents and downloading "free" copies of the game. DRM never does, anyway. What it will prevent is people sharing their games.

Whenever you buy something from PSN you are allowed to download the game on 5 systems connected to your PSN account, so if your PS3 breaks down you don't lose all your PSN games. What people are doing is letting their friends "borrow" their PSN account and download all the games for free. The DRM is checking to make sure the owner account is logged in when the game starts, and preventing startup if it isn't.

Basically, if you buy a copy and are logged into your PSN account when you start the game you should have no problems. If you're the friend of someone who bought a copy, then you'll either have to get your friend's PSN account name and password or purchase a copy.

Campcom, no, that is naughty. Put that DRM dow- Oi, listen to m- liste- RIGHT! That's it, naughty step for you!

"Have my periscope, too!"

Pirates really can offer the better product to consumers, and at an infinitely lower price.

I don't want the game anyway, but my internet connection would be too spotty to ever consider buying.

Daemascus:

Not everybody has internet at their house. One of my friends doesnt have internet, when he wants to download a game, dlc, or patches he comes over to my house and does it. It screws over people like that who still buy and download games online but cant go online themselves at their own houses.

Eugh. It was only a matter of time before ridiculous DRM crept over into the console realm. I hope it doesn't stick around for long.

Dunno what the problem is; sounds a bit like what all XBL downloaded content does when played on a "foreign" console.

To be clear; on the first console you download anything to, offline play is allowed. If you then go and re-download that content on a different console, you must be online at all times to pay that content on the second console. If you drop off, even for a second, access to that content is immediately shut off.

This could be a big issue if you have more than one console in the house and you like to play on both of them.

Thanks a lot Jack Tretton. Yes, I blame him: He's the one who opened his mouth in 2006 and said "people can share on PSN and we want them too" like a complete fucking idiot. And no matter how many parts of the PSN ToS you point out to people that prove you are not allowed to share your games, people still go "but Jack Tretton said I could so imma keep doing it durpadurp!"

Although if I was Capcom, I would just tell PSN to fuck off until Sony made Jacky-boy come out and admit "I was an idiot when I said that before, you may not share your games. Sorry I misled you all with my idiotic ramblings." Or Sony could just start dropping more banhammers on sharers (how about a specific "gameshare" selection when reporting people, Sony?) so word gets around that way. I can understand why Capcom would do this kind of DRM to keep the game on the platform, but still, not cool Capcom.

UnnDunn:
Dunno what the problem is; sounds a bit like what all XBL downloaded content does when played on a "foreign" console.

To be clear; on the first console you download anything to, offline play is allowed. If you then go and re-download that content on a different console, you must be online at all times to pay that content on the second console. If you drop off, even for a second, access to that content is immediately shut off.

I'm quite sure you only need to sign in to your GamerTag, even if you don't have internet at the time to connect to Xbox Live, to play those games on a different console. And on the first console, play is allowed for everyone. On other consoles, it's just your gamertag that can play. I'm quite certain you need to check your facts again because everything you said about how 360 games work sounds very wrong.

HentMas:

after paying for something it is my RIGHT to go and do whatever i want with the product

Well, not whatever you want. What you want within the boundaries of any agreements you have to sign when using said product as well as the normal consumer boundaries. Which also includes the point that you are not allowed to copy the product.

My point was that one can not truly support the games industry against piracy, if one turns around and blasts them for the actions they take to prevent and catch pirates.

One must learn to just accept what the games industry is doing with DRM, until something is found to stop piracy.

GiantRaven:
Eugh. It was only a matter of time before ridiculous DRM crept over into the console realm. I hope it doesn't stick around for long.

Thats what we said when it came to PC's.

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to a world where, even if you buy the game, your a dirty pirate with fat stacks of cash.

Sigh, I would of bought this. However seeing as to play the game I'd need to connect my PS3 to the internet everytime, it means this is currently a purchase that would be wasted as right now I live in situation where I have to use someone elses internet whenever I want to connect my PS3 for updates or to make a purchase, which is fine every once in a while but... Bleh I can kinda see why, but its not the best choice on their part :/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here