DICE Officially Cancels BF1943 and Bad Company 2 Onslaught for PC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DICE Officially Cancels BF1943 and Bad Company 2 Onslaught for PC

The Battlefield developer says that it has decided to focus on the games of the future, rather than those of the past.

DICE has officially announced that the PC version of the downloadable game Battlefield 1943 and the Onslaught multiplayer mode for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 have been cancelled. This ends a prolonged wait for BF1943 on the PC, which had lasted for a year and a half.

In a statement in the official Battlefield website, DICE's general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson said that the studio was as dedicated to supporting its existing games as it was to making new ones. Sadly, he said, it wasn't always possible to do both, and sometimes, the studio had to chose what its priorities were. He said that the studio had decided to focus its efforts on making Battlefield 3 as good as possible, and that meant cancelling BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught for the PC.

It's safe to assume that most PC players had worked out that they wouldn't be playing BF1943 or BC2 Onslaught unless they also had a console. All the same, it's nice to have it made official, even if just for closure. Hopefully, the PC version of Battlefield 3 - whenever it comes out - will make up for the platform missing out on other Battlefield content.

Source: CVG

Okay, first of all, fuck them for making me wait this long to realize i'll never get to play 1943. I had pretty much figured this was the case ages ago, but wtf? Why not focus on development for all 3 platforms at once, rather than leave us hanging like this? Absurd. Second, my faith in BF3 continues to diminish the more games they pump out. I really don't think it'll be what anyone expects, at least not us PC gamers..... DICE, prove me wrong please. But don't expect me to hold my breath.

Battlefield 3 better be a great game that plays like a PC game. Seriously Battlefield started out on the PCs and made that series what it is today. If you look at the first console incarnations of the Battlefield series they sucked.

Oh well, not really that big a surprise, if I have to be completely honest. Delaying it that much without reasons as to why is never a good sign. A port shouldn't really take that long.

Anyway, for me, the Battlefield series is dead, and has been that way since BF: Vietnam came out. Vietnam was fun for me, but the entry I enjoyed the most was BF1942. It was just a fantastic multiplayer experience and really the game that got me interesting in multiplayer as a whole, so I have a lot to thank that game for. It's a little sad though, I doubt that magic that BF1942 had will ever be captured again, at least if you're listening to DICE. Even BF1943 is nowhere near as good as BF1942 was, even though it was made by the same company.

Just do a good job on the third Battlefield, especially for the PC gamers. They do deserve it, y'know, considering how many Battlefield-fans are PC gamers.

My PC won't be able to run it unfortunately, but I really want the PC version to be good.

Well, and the console versions, too.

Well, that aint no surprise. Still a goddamn punch in the kidney. Asshats.

About time they announce what should have been clear to most fans for the past half-year or so.

Do a good job on Battlefield 3, I'm counting on you.

hey PC guys if you want Battlefield 1943 play 1942 in one section of the map with the graphical settings all the way up. Seriously it's not that great.

OT: Battlefield 3 better play like the PC games on every platform it's on, mostly because I know that it will run like crap on my computer and I just want to shoot people without lag. I mean I want 6 man squads, 32 on 32 battles, a chain of command and large maps. None of this 4 man squad 12 on 12 crap

In what way is this 'nice'? Hey, I don't care for BF one bit, but how does 'focusing on future games instead of the past ones' make sense? How about just releasing the game when it's still current, retards?

Really DICE? Really? You just had to go and ruin my day.

I really wanted to play 1943 :/

Good.

If that means they're actually focusing on Battlefield 3, I'm happy.

Nice to see they still give a shit about PC players, huh.

translation: "A PC version wouldn't have given us huge sums of money, so we abandonned it."

This is excellent news! I say that they should focus on sequels to Battlefield 2142 as that was and still is an awesome game.

Well good thing they canceled the bf1943, cause I had more fun with the Battlefield 1942 demo then I did with 1943.
I wish they would of kept developing the onslaught mode for Battlefield Bad Company 2, cause I had fun with that.
As long as they make battlefield 3 like they did with 1942, Battlefield 2, and Battlefield 2142 with everything updated I will be happy.

Well, that's a dick move.

Not going to say as much as "So much for PC focus" but, I will say, "One step forward, two steps back."

Why is the PC version always cancelled? Why can't they cancel a version that is nightmarish to develop for, such as PS3.

Shocking development. I wonder who could have foreseen such a turn in events. If only i cared enough to buy them i could be disappointed with the rest of you. All the expansions they claimed were in the making for 2142 and such that never got mentioned after the first few times they claimed they were making them.

Screw you DICE. Lying fuck muffins promise expansions and then go making another game.

Last game I bought from DICE was BF2. I've tried everything after that, but it has not been up to standards. Maybe they'll do a good job on BF3, but I think they're producing for 'game consumers' these days, not 'gamers'.

I actually liked 1943. It's sad they wont release it on the PC would probably have been even better.

Haven't bought a Dice game since Battlefield 2142 and it's psychotic DRM, things like this mean I'm unlikely to ever buy another. Shame, I love BF2.

archvile93:
translation: "A PC version wouldn't have given us huge sums of money, so we abandonned it."

Well they're not going to make something that doesn't make any money. They're in it for the passion but they're not going to go through all that effort the the majority of the userbase to pick it up for free and proceed to criticise every little flaw.

RabbiiFrystofsk:

archvile93:

Well they're not going to make something that doesn't make any money. They're in it for the passion but they're not going to go through all that effort the the majority of the userbase to pick it up for free and proceed to criticise every little flaw.

Oh it would've made money, just not as much as a new game. But that's understandable, I mean why should one group expect their product to be just as good as others' right?

When I came in here I thought this was about Battlefield 3 for some reason.

While this is crappy news it's not that crappy.

Well, that sucks for all the people who only own Pc's, but lucky for me, I own a Ps3, so I was able to buy, play and enjoy 1943 back in '09.

Romidude:
Why is the PC version always cancelled? Why can't they cancel a version that is nightmarish to develop for, such as PS3.

You're hurting the Sony fanboy in me, you know.

Did PC players really still want 1943?

RabbiiFrystofsk:

archvile93:

Pulling the piracy card out again, eh? Because one platform doesn't deserve a game as good as the other.

Also, when BF2BC2 was breaking the sales charts, I kinda remember the highest percentage of the 2.3m sales being on the PC.

Anyway, move along, PC gamers getting shafted, nothing new to see here. You'll be lucky to get a demo for BF3.

Lord_Panzer:
Good.

If that means they're actually focusing on Battlefield 3, I'm happy.

1/2 of their fans will criticize them for backing out.

The other 1/2 thats understands the decision will scoff at them if Battlefield 3 isn't amazing now.

They really put themselves in a corner.

Mod tools and all's forgiven.

bah, double post, 2nd one is better

Who really cared about the console ports anyway. Yeah they made money but the PC is where the really fans go to play BF. I think that EA and has gotten the wiff of that sticky cash and now I'm very afraid for BF3, and really all they have to do is take BF2 and make it better but not change to much.

And for god sakes there better be prone

well battlefield 3 better be getting some damn pc loving for them dropping both of those, I loved some bad company 2 and I always wanted to play onslaught mode

it took them 2 years to say something every pcgamer already knew? <.<

look DICE if you want to suck on the proverbial console tit, just say so and get it over with.

I've long since stop giving a shit about the battlefield series ever since you flopped hardcore with the cash in that was BF2142...and the consolified atrocities that you released on the PC that is BFBC series.

ill wait for bf3 to get to the steam bargain bin b4 i pick it up. It shouldn't take long since i manage to get bfbc2 for $30 bucks 3 months after release. Thank god for Yearly COD releases reducing their competitions prices \o/

BF2 proved to me that team-oriented gameplay does not exist. MW2 proved to me that FPS games are built around being the biggest asshole, and BlackOps proved to me that the world is majority assholes. TF2 proved to me that money = points. CS:S proved to me that there is no such thing as legit skill.

DAoC taught me how to lead people, SWG taught me how to write a good story, LOTRO taught me how to lead a Guild.

Is there any wonder that I tell people I will never touch another multiplayer game in my life?

This isn't a surprising move, everyone knows the bad developers drop PC support, only the good developers make stuff for PC and have it work. DICE isn't up to the challenge of designing a decent game for the PC and they never will be.

If you ask me, Square Enix is right up there in good PC titles (Just Cause 2, Deus Ex)

Hey DICE how about some news on Mirror's Edge 2?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here