Magic Gun Sprays Skin Cells to Heal Burns Almost Instantly

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Magic Gun Sprays Skin Cells to Heal Burns Almost Instantly

The future is here with a new experimental process that sprays the victim's skin cells onto burns to heal them in days instead of months.

It's called a "skin cell gun" by Jorg C. Gerlach of the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine. His team has been working on the process for a long time and just now has entered the experimental phase using real human burn victims. First, the scientists harvest healthy skin cells from unharmed portions of the victim's bodies and isolate the stem cells in order to put them in a water solution. Gerlach's gun then sprays those cells directly onto the burn wound as if painting a house. The process of taking the sample, isolating the cells and then spraying them on the wound takes only 1.5 hours, and results in drastically quickening the healing process for burn victims. In the following video from National Geographic, the example patient is Matt Urum, a state trooper from Pennsylvania who suffered 2nd degree burns when someone threw a cup of gasoline on a bonfire. He was treated on a Friday and by Monday his skin was completely healed.

Here's a non-blocked video for you international folks, if you can deal with the fact that it's mirrored.

"It looked like something you'd see in Star Wars," Urum said of the skin cell gun.

I'm inclined to agree. This technology seems like it could save hundreds of lives and ease the suffering of thousands of people subjected to painful and disfiguring burns. So far over 12 burn victims have been successfully treated using the skin gun, and more tests and studies will be conducted before it sees wide usage in our hospitals. But if the Urum's case is any indication, it will be nothing short of amazing.

Famed science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke's third law states that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Therefore, the skin cell gun is magical.

Source: National Geographic

I'm afraid to click the video, it looks gross.

But really? Spraypainting your skin back on? Dwarf Fortress absolutely needs this.

OMG THAT IS AWESOME YAY SCIENCE -squees-

Seriously. This will help humanity so much. I want one for personal use, just in case...

this video has been blocked from your country on copyright grounds

EDIT

for anyone else whos blocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5H9Sasq5U

lacktheknack:

But really? Spraypainting your skin back on? Dwarf Fortress absolutely needs this.

Only if you want a more efficient way to wear the skins of your enemies or something. Dwarves don't need a medigun. Or healing. They'll just walk/drink it off.

In any case, this is great. Anything that makes the healing process easier on burn victims is good in my book.

lacktheknack:

It's not that bad. They only show a severe 2nd degree burn. But damn, that guy's face and arm healed in four days?! I just freaking love science.

TAHT'S AWESOME!!! (So awesome that it made me misspell "that") Seriously, that's amazing.
The technology involved could be the first step to the healing of other organs as well.

Plus, from an entirely geeky viewpoint, it's friggin' cool!

Oh, science.
I am so in love with you.

DO WANT

Seriously, this looks amazing.

That image from the video looks pretty gross. Also I can't watch it, YouTube says it's content from National Geographic is not available in my country.

OT: Great news!, now we can see mediguns on every hospital!.

EDIT: in every hospital.

OMG!@ I want one! I wonder if it could be used in surgery too to limit scaring, for scrapes, cuts... medigel, here we come! :D

once again stem cells ftw. the stuffs like organic duct-tape.

I'd like to see some actual time lapse of this working but this is pretty awesome. Here's hoping it becomes standard in the next few years.

Blocked in Canada. :|

Science!
You are awesome!

SupahGamuh:
now we can see mediguns on every hospital!.

.....on???

0.o

One step closer to Medi-Gel. Nice.

MEDIC! MEDIC! DOCTOR! I love this doctor!

It'll happen.

The applications for this are extraordinary.

I mean, if you're firing stem-cells, you're talking about feasibly curing cancer, regenerating limbs...possibly even repairing failing organs.

... Just wow.

W00T, Science FTW!!

Seriously, thats pretty sweet!!!

I wonder how bad the burn would have to be to have on of these used on you...
*turns on stove*

That is freaking awesome!

Holy crap we are living in the future. This nearly sounds to good to be true.

Link for those who can't acces the one on youtube.

That Guy Who Phails:

SupahGamuh:
now we can see mediguns on every hospital!.

.....on???

0.o

Crappy grammar, in every hospital. :P

Sarge from RvB would find this very, very ironic...

Ha! Throw a Nobel Prize to that man! Genius! So long as National Geographic isn't making anything up, that is.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are one step closer to making regenerating health.

Calumon: But you need a Jetpack! The only people who fly with me are the birds, and they ignore me. :'(

ThatLankyBastard:
W00T, Science FTW!!

Seriously, thats pretty sweet!!!

I wonder how bad the burn would have to be to have on of these used on you...
*turns on stove*

Good, I'm not the only one who suddenly developed an unhealthy desire to try it out.
It's just too damn cool...

hunh...

to which I can only say dont let budget cuts kill this. seriously, dont know who's doing it (country wise) but MAKE THIS SHIT HAPPEN!

SupahGamuh:
That image from the video looks pretty gross. Also I can't watch it, YouTube says it's content from National Geographic is not available in my country.

OT: Great news!, now we can see mediguns on every hospital!.

EDIT: in every hospital.

Haha, i was just posting identical pic:D

That's the first thing that went through my mind when i read this.]

Also, this is truly amazing.

This man earns a Nobel prize in medicine. The idea and workings of the device are ingenious and the device it self looks small and easy to make for medical equipment.

thefreeman0001:
this video has been blocked from your country on copyright grounds

Me too. I hate national blocking...

Also, that's totally not like Star Wars. It it was Dath Vader wouldn't have to wear the suit!

Truly amazing. Lets hope some nut doesn't just read the words "stem" and "cells" then decides that the machine chews up babies and sprays healingjuice.

Holy c***!!! While this is amazing I would like to see a video of him using that gun on a patient with a day by day photo of the recovery.

Fucking A!

Jack and Calumon:
Ha! Throw a Nobel Prize to that man! Genius! So long as National Geographic isn't making anything up, that is.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are one step closer to making regenerating health.

Calumon: But you need a Jetpack! The only people who fly with me are the birds, and they ignore me. :'(

Exactly what I was going to say, Soon, the health bar and med kits will be proven unrealistic, and regen'ing health will be corr3ct.

dont ask what the leet is for, just seemed correct for the moment.

One step to medi-gel!
I just hope the Reapers don't come about.

I'm sensing multi-use applications for this. If you can regrow skin, regrowing organ tissue can't be that far off.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here