Advocacy Group Angry That Moms Hate Dead Space 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Advocacy Group Angry That Moms Hate Dead Space 2

Common Sense Media is asking for sanctions against EA for its recent campaign promoting Dead Space 2 with horrified mothers.

EA and Visceral Games took a different approach with their marketing campaign for Dead Space 2, showing the reactions of a focus group made of conservative mothers rather than the target audience, claiming: "Your mom hates Dead Space 2." Common Sense Media isn't amused by the campaign, not because of its nature, but because the family advocacy group feels the ads are overly appealing to kids under 17.

Dead Space 2 is recommended for kids 17 and older by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board, so Common Sense Media hopes the organization will sanction EA for its use of the ad campaign. Common Sense Media Chief Executive Jim Steyer wrote a letter to ESRB president Patricia Vance, saying he believes that EA is in violation of the ESRB's Principles and Guidelines for Responsible Advertising Practices by making ads that are "irresistible" to kids.

Vance disagrees, replying to Stayer with: "Just because a product desires to be seen as 'cool' or 'edgy' does not in and of itself necessitate that it is directed at children." EA spokeswoman Amanda Taggart also revealed that the company works hard to ensure it follows ESRB rules, and had the campaign approved before it aired.

Common Sense Media is in a unique position because of the fact that it praises violent games for their strengths while ensuring that parents know they're not for kids. I can see where the organization is coming from with the Dead Space 2 campaign, but I have a feeling it forgot one key point: Everyone has a mother. There's no way it can be proven that EA was targeting a segment of consumers younger than 16 when plenty of people 17 and older also have a mom.

Source: LA Times

so, a parental advocacy group is complaining because a commercial is portraying what parents actually think about a game?

did........did we tear a rip in the space-time continuum?

I don't know, I usually hate advocacy groups, but Common Sense is actually one of the OK ones.
I might be inclined to agree with them, to people at and over the age rating the ad may seem funny or juvenile.
To a younger kid, this type of stuff would sell better with them.

Just watch the Zero Punctuation review of Manhunt and that's the point I'm trying to make.

I'm with EA here. Almost 18 myself. Everyone who has the game that I know of (up to the age of 21) loved the adverts because they were hilarious.

Edit:

This just in, political correctness strikes. Won't somebody please think of the children, more at 7

When watching these ads I was under the impression that they were marketing to people under the age rating.

What idiotic accusations... I don't get, where it happens? In USA perhaps?

I can see where Common Sense is coming from here. When I was a kid I would do anything I was told not to. I can't totally disagree with this, for a change.

Tom Goldman:
ractices by making ads that are "irresistible" to kids.

Vance disagrees, replying to Stayer with: "Just because a product desires to be seen as 'cool' or 'edgy' does not in and of itself necessitate that it is directed at children." EA spokeswoman Amanda Taggart also revealed that the company works hard to ensure it follows ESRB rules, and had the campaign approved before it aired.

Then who is it supposed to appeal to? Adults who buy whatever the hell they want with their money and don't care too much what their mother's think about it? While I doubt its aimed at children, but it is aimed at an age group thats below the game's rating.

Common Sense Media is in a unique position because of the fact that it praises violent games for their strengths while ensuring that parents know they're not for kids. I can see where the organization is coming from with the Dead Space 2 campaign, but I have a feeling it forgot one key point: Everyone has a mother. There's no way it can be proven that EA was targeting a segment of consumers younger than 16 when plenty of people 17 and older also have a mom.

They also have money, and can buy whatever they want, and don't care much if their mother's don't like it. Making this marketing campaign rather pointless to them. Sure most 17-19 year olds will rely on their parents, but thats a really specific age group to target.

The relationship between a mother and child is most expressed under the age of 18, as that is the average age where most people start changing from dependents to independents. It is obviously easier to understand how this would be a MORE appealing marketing campaign towards someone who is 15 or 16 years old than to someone who is 21 or 22 years old.

I got the impression that they were trying to sell to immaturity. "Hey your mom doesn't like it! That means you do!" I'd get it if it was some kind of rebellious theme, or if I found it funny, but I think it went too far.

Everyone has a mother. There's no way it can be proven that EA was targeting a segment of consumers younger than 16 when plenty of people 17 and older also have a mom.

No, it's common knowledge that your mother dies on your 17th birthday. Oh, just me? *Sob.*

scarab7:
I got the impression that they were trying to sell to immaturity. "Hey your mom doesn't like it! That means you do!" I'd get it if it was some kind of rebellious theme, or if I found it funny, but I think it went too far.

Okay, so now you represent the majority? I found the adverts funny, and I don't even care that much for Dead Space as a game franchise.

I can see were they are coming from. The first time I saw those adds I thought that they spoke more to the younger audience. Yes, everybody has a mother, but who actively wants to defy his parents and thinks it would be cool to do something they despise? Teenagers hitting puberty.
Those adverts are stupid anyways. Is the only important thing in this game the violence? Because that's the impression I get when I watch them.

Tom Goldman:
"irresistible"

I think these people need to shut the fuck up. The only 17 y/o I know thinks DS sucks and his mom hates FIFA Manager games.

Also, the entire "campaign" was a scam from the start and the scam now continues through this shill.

Kalezian:
so, a parental advocacy group is complaining because a commercial is portraying what parents actually think about a game?

did........did we tear a rip in the space-time continuum?

i think its more the fact its seducing teenagers with the campaign instead of ppl old enough to actually buy the game. I believe

I thought Dead Space 2 was great, but the ad campaign was pretty awful. Yeah, people of all ages have moms, but if you're 17+ and the thought of your mom hating something makes it seem cool and edgy to you, then it's probably time to grow up. The ads are definitely more suitable for a younger age group, so I can see where Common Sense Media is coming from here.

I agree with them too. 17 and under is generally the only time in a person's life when their parents have direct control over their media consumption habits. Once they're out of your parents house, why would anyone care what their mom thinks of the game they're playing? It won't affect their mom at all since she won't be there(except in the case of manchildren :p). It's clearly aimed at minors.

RatRace123:
I don't know, I usually hate advocacy groups, but Common Sense is actually one of the OK ones.
I might be inclined to agree with them, to people at and over the age rating the ad may seem funny or juvenile.
To a younger kid, this type of stuff would sell better with them.

I agree. I failed to see how "You mom will hate it" will make me want to buy the game. It really seems it is targeting the kids.

Plus if you think about it...this commercial would make alot of moms with kids aware they wouldn't approve and shouldn't buy this game for their kids..duh

Let me draw an analogy:

Tobacco companies have been prevented from using cartoon animals to promote cigarettes for a number of years now. This doesn't mean that adults don't like cartoon animals. It means that children find cartoon animals more appealing.

So, who's EA really targeting with this ad? The 17-34 age demographic who cares less about what their mothers think? Or the mid-teenager who's chafing under his parent's "restrictive" rules while "becoming an adult"?

I can't think of a single person of normal, or better, intelligence who has said they *don't* think these ads are targeting kids under the age rating.

Azuaron:
Let me draw an analogy:

Tobacco companies have been prevented from using cartoon animals to promote cigarettes for a number of years now. This doesn't mean that adults don't like cartoon animals. It means that children find cartoon animals more appealing.

So, who's EA really targeting with this ad? The 17-34 age demographic who cares less about what their mothers think? Or the mid-teenager who's chafing under his parent's "restrictive" rules while "becoming an adult"?

In other words, because you view the world entirely through stereotypes, EA should too? These aren't cartoon animals, they're people who otherwise probably would have had no exposure to video games of any type. Which is the reason that I, as a 24-year-old adult, found the advertising campaign funny and appealing.

Political correctness has gone way too far, and this is the type of bullshit that proves it.

The ad airs on major networks, which means it's viewed by all demographics, which means that moms see it as much as the kids do. If they were targeting kids, would they really make sure every mom labels DS2 as "that game I hate"?

I'm 20 and my mother hates Dead Space 2. Yeah the advertizements are funny and they also happen to be accurate.

For the record my mother doesn't buy my games for me, I spent $87 pre-ordering Shogun 2 Total War and Dawn of War 2 Retribution today.

Instead of complaining about some harmless humour, why don't they just follow the ad's advice and not buy an 18+ game for their children.

Sigh...

I think old people need to just shutup about certain things. If you don't understand movies or comic books or video games, fine. Just don't look all around for more excuses to condemn them.

The ad? It was supposed to be humorous. That's all. I found it appealing, it caused me to get up and download the demo (though I haven't bought the game yet and need to replay the demo soon).

Azuaron:
Let me draw an analogy:

That's a great analogy, and probably one of the reasons why I think EA and Visceral were being mean spirited with this.

Honestly, while I can chuckle a bit at the ridiculousness of the scenario, I just don't think it was dignified of EA or Visceral with the campaign. Fine, (most) everyone has a mother, but the advertisement gave off a distinct juvenile feel directed more to 14 year olds. So, to the majority extent, I have to side with Common Sense Media.

That and it doesn't really help our case with "Video Games are nothing but violent murder simulators for the immature man child!"

Common Sense media should go viral with a counter-campaign video that shows Mums playing dead-space and completely loving. Unfortunately they won't do that because that would be completely awesome.

Regardless who the commercial is or isn't inadvertently appealing to, children under 16 can't purchase the game under the current ESRB laws so what does it matter?

It seems like it would be appealing to ANYONE who likes to rebel against their parents, not just those 16 and younger.

This is a first, I'm actually on the side of the advocacy group.

Eww, feels weird and icky. And, eugh, responsible.

Most people who can buy the game don't care what their mothers think of what they do in their spare time, nor do the majority of their mothers care either. Especially not with something as banal as a videogame.

This campaign raised a small smile from me, one that was nostalgia based and so quite weak. I then felt awkward because straight away I thought this is aimed at those who don't meet the age requirements for independent purchase, those who'd feel a strong response to this campaign. I then felt patronised, if I am the target audience I'm apparently an immature prat.

I don't think the kids of today are yet weak willed enough to be mind controlled by such an obvious marketing ploy. I do however, think it gives out a bad message; one that only perpetuates the image that videogames are for kids, regardless of content and rating.

I am 27 and I thought the ads were completely stupid. I agree with Common sense media on this one. The ads while maybe not meant to appeal to the under 17 crowd certainly do.

Like Azuron said I think the majority of people 17+ could care less what their mom thinks about the games they play.

Yes I get that the campaign was a joke, but that doesn't mean that it can't have negative side effects.

I'm with them. First time I saw this campaign i thought, "This is for 12-year=olds." Anyone who's actually of age to buy dead space 2 should probably feel insulted and pandered to.

kurupt87:

I don't think the kids of today are yet weak willed enough to be mind controlled by such an obvious marketing ploy.

OH! HAHA! AHAHAHAHAH! OMG LAWL!! THATS A GOOD ONE!! /kneeslap

oh wait, you were serious?

These commercials actually put me OFF of the game. They're silly and saying that "my mother hates it" due to its violent nature is...very childlike. I purchased the game and I love it, but I don't have to give two shits about what my mom thinks because I can purchase the game on my own anyways.

They'd have done better making an actual commercial instead of playing off of the silly expressions. The game is FAR more then something that "your mother will hate."

What I want to know is when EA will start advertising, I dunno, their games. They at least managed to advertise a reason why I should buy their game this time, so that's a step up.

I hate to be the one to say it but.... the advocacy group is right. That's exactly who the ad is targeting.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here