Play an Urban Cowboy in Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Play an Urban Cowboy in Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Call of Juarez: The Cartel looks to be more Call of Duty than Call of Juarez.

Scheduled for release this summer on the 360, PS3, and PC, the newest game in Techland's Call of Juarez series will bring the franchise into the present day.

Ubisoft claims that the players will embark on an "immersive and mature story" that "brings the best elements of the Wild West to a new and modern setting." Based on the title and that Juarez, Mexico is listed as one of the settings, I don't think I would be too bold in believing drug cartels will be featured prominently.

Caroline Stevens, EMEA Brand Director at Ubisoft said of the game, "Call of Juarez: The Cartel is an action-packed shooter game with a strong story, interesting characters and a wide variety of gameplay options. The game will bring the best elements of the Wild West into modern times with a very gritty and relevant plot."

Retooling the Call of Juarez series to work in a present-day setting seems like an attempt on Techland's part to distinguish its game from Red Dead Redemption, understandable due to that game's wild popularity. With that game remaining very popular, trying to compete with it as a straight western game would likely pose extra challenges to The Cartel's success.

Source: Ubisoft's Site via MCV

hmmm don't know if this move the modern day was a goodd idea...
I want a new Darkwatch game goddammit! forget modern westersn I want vampires and demons in a western.

Scott Bullock:
The game will bring the best elements of the Wild West into modern times with a very gritty and relevant plot.

AAAAAAAAAAGH!

Gritty has to be the most overused adjective in the world when it comes to describing 'mature' games. It's become almost comical.

Huh.

Well, this is either gonna be awesome, or terrible. No in-between.

WHAT THE FRAK IS THIS!?! Why do we need another "gritty" modern day shooter? Can't we just have more cowboys and stuff please? Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is probably one of my favorite shooters on the 360. It was fun and unique. Why can't we just have a sequel to that instead of a another COD knock-off?

I'm hoping it'll be like a neo-western game, similar to what Blade Runner did with noir.

But then again it could just be bland and unoriginal.

And now any respect I held for this series is dead. Defrost me when Red dead 2 is out.

So rather than compete against Red Dead they decided to compete against everything else?

I'd like to see someone do something with the old "Deadlands" Western Horror franchise myself. I think "Undead Nightmare" (the horsemen of the apocolypse seemed to be inspired by some elements of Deadlands) and the ancient "Darkwatch" were cool and all, but never gave the concept the treatment it deserved.

To be honest I don't think CoJ is trying to avoid Rockstar so much as they are probably seeking to cash in on the success of other "tech westerns" like "New Vegas" and "Borderlands" albiet without all the science fiction elements.

Its a shame that this will probably fail miserably. It might have been more interesting if with every game they jumped a decade or so, and gradually built it up to a modern environment, instead of plunging from Western to Contemporary shooter.

alrekr:
I want a new Darkwatch game goddammit! forget modern westersn I want vampires and demons in a western.

Dammit, now I need to go play Curse of the West again. Awesome game.

This could turn out really good or really bad.

I'll wait and see when more info is released. While I have no interest in the game, this odd change of pace certainly has my attention.

The image looks like something out of Saints Row 2 lol

Something tells me that if it's about drug cartels it probably won't be regular modern shooter fare. The most modern weapon you get will probably be something like an AK47. This means that it could be really good, tactical, etc., or it could be same CoD crap with less guns.

Well, it looks stylish, I'll give it that.

Still sounds incredibly silly.

I'm not touching it unless it gives you side missions to collect flowers.

Bah, another series going "modern" unnecessarily. I suppose two games of, at best, mediocre sales does call for some sort of shake-up in design. Though considering the CoJ's were two of the few mostly-well-made "real" westerns until RDR came along and that's what I loved about them, I'll probably hate this design. I wonder if they at least got Marc Alaimo to voice the main character agian.

It had better be awesome.
Then again, if they're expecting money from it, that's a given...

Call of Juarez: Modern warfare? Eh...I liked Juarez the way it was...now it's just going against a bigger and more established Rockstar IP...GTA...Techland just shot themselves in the foot.

This can not possibly be played straight. Modern Day cowboys going up against a drug cartel? (Possibly)

This has to be played for laughs or over the top, tounge in cheek like in Saints Row. If so, it may be awesome.
If not, it'll suck.

BreakfastMan:
WHAT THE FRAK IS THIS!?! Why do we need another "gritty" modern day shooter? Can't we just have more cowboys and stuff please? Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is probably one of my favorite shooters on the 360. It was fun and unique. Why can't we just have a sequel to that instead of a another COD knock-off?

CoJ is very story driven. If they manage to make the story engaging as in CoJ 2 it will be great. Still, I'd rather play another western shooter. We lack in those! But at least this one is not a military shooter. It's a crime shooter and that's something we lack too.

With Rockstar continuing to release DLC for its game, trying to compete with it as a straight western game would likely pose extra challenges to The Cartel's success.

THERE'S GOING TO BE MORE RED DEAD DLC? WHY HASN'T ANYONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THAT?

Gritty and realistic? Sorry, I like my modern cowboys with ham and cheese. I refer you to the Keifer Sutherland/Woody Harrelson classic The Cowboy Way for real modern cowboy action.

Why is it that as soon as a game boasts about being "mature", I get the feeling it's going to be anything but?

Regardless, this could be interesting, especially since another western is going to feel a little lackluster after Red Dead Redemption ^^

Why? Why must they ruin nice things?

I'm filing this under 'Most likely awful.'

Seems like there's potential for a pretty good game here; the Mexican drug gangs haven't really been touched on by games, so there's quite a bit of material ripe for the picking. But it could definitely fail, too; they could approach the touchy subject of the drug wars from the wrong angle, it could be way too 'gritty' and 'ostensibly mature', etc. I do hope that it's good, though.

V TheSystem V:

With Rockstar continuing to release DLC for its game, trying to compete with it as a straight western game would likely pose extra challenges to The Cartel's success.

THERE'S GOING TO BE MORE RED DEAD DLC? WHY HASN'T ANYONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THAT?

I misspoke. Sorry to get your hopes up, but I haven't heard anything about new DLC, either. That line didn't really come out the way I had meant, and it has been corrected to reflect that.

Scott Bullock:
Ubisoft claims that the players will embark on an "immersive and mature story" that "brings the best elements of the Wild West to a new and modern setting.
...The game will bring the best elements of the Wild West into modern times with a very gritty and relevant plot."

Bull. Shit.

I have absolutely no faith in any developer, aside from a few exceptions, making a "mature" story that isn't just gritty, bloody, and "oh man, look at how mature this game is!" It will just be a standard story about revenge, or some drug exchange gone wrong, or some bull that barely has any political, social, historical, cultural, racial, or artistic merit to the rest of the world that hasn't been done before and done 100x better by someone else.

So, yeah, I am calling absolute bullshit on that statement.

Still could be a good game though.

Oh come on this is bad news. What with Red Dead Redemption, it seems essential to capitalise on the sudden popularity of the Western setting, not go the opposite direction in one of the only good Western games before Red Dead.

This is disappointing.

I can mod a cowboy hat into any bland shooter already thanks...

alrekr:

or some one could hurry up and make "Vampire The Masqurade: what ever the fuck they decide to call it" Instead of trying to make an MMO that no one seems to care about...
or just remake VtM:B and make it 4x longer.

Natdaprat:
Oh come on this is bad news. What with Red Dead Redemption, it seems essential to capitalise on the sudden popularity of the Western setting, not go the opposite direction in one of the only good Western games before Red Dead.

This is disappointing.

Indeed!

I do not approve!

Another gritty modern day shooter! Exactly what we needed!

At least, from the screenshot, CoJ remains stylish. Right on.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
And now any respect I held for this series is dead. Defrost me when Red dead 2 is out.

you.........sure?

because with Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption both set in the old west, Red Dead 2 could very well have space marines cowboys.

What is this ? I don't even...

I actually quite like this idea - I hope it is styled like the 'Machete' film

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook