2K Games Finally Announces The Darkness Sequel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

2K Games Finally Announces The Darkness Sequel

The Darkness 2 is a "beautiful nightmare," says 2K Games boss.

After years of rumors, 2K Games has finally announced that 2011 will see a sequel to the 2007 shooter The Darkness. The game will continue the tale of former mafia hitman Jackie Estacado, who gained malevolent supernatural powers on his twenty-first birthday, and racked up a few deaths in the process.

The Darkness 2 takes place three years after the events of the first game. Jackie is now the head of the Franchetti family, and has avoided using his powers as much as possible. The situation soon changes however, when an attempt on Jackie's life erupts into a full-scale gang war. The Darkness uses the situation to re-emerge, apparently setting Jackie on a path that will lead him to hell and back. 2K has brought award-winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins on board to write the story. Jenkins also helped to write the first game, as well as many issues of The Darkness comics.

2K president, Christoph Hartmann, described the game as a "stylized and beautiful nightmare." Marc Silvestri, co-creator of The Darkness comics, said fans of the comics had nothing to worry about. "Us fans have come to expect the worst," he said. "And sometimes we get it. But not with The Darkness 2. Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado's epic saga is - in my humble opinion - one of the most brutally cool games I've ever played."

The game will apparently differentiate itself from other shooters through its light and dark mechanics, and the fact that players will be able to "Quad Wield," which is like dual-wielding, but with more limbs. As you can see from the screenshot - which is the currently the only image of the game - The Darkness 2 also sports stylized visuals that looks like the designers have infused the first game with the art style from Borderlands.

Sadly, Starbreeze Studios won't be returning to the series. Instead, development duties will fall to Digital Extremes. Digital Extremes has worked on a number of high-profile games, either pitching in on the multiplayer aspects - as with BioShock 2 - or porting games to the PC - as with Homefront. It's solo games are few in number, but include the likes of Pariah and Dark Sector.

The Darkness 2 is scheduled for release on Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 in the Fall.

Can't wait for a Zero Punctuation review of this game.

Bitchin'

I loved the first one to death. The story was fantastic, and using The Darkness was just gleefully fun.

Although I'm curious as to how they're going to deal with the ending to the first game. Seemed like a pretty full ending there without much opening for a sequel.

The first game was a hell of a lot of fun. Really looking forward to the second (hopefully with some brushed-up mechanics, too).

Your kidding me!
I just re-rented this game 2 days ago and started wishing for a sequal.
Its.... so beautiful. I dont care if this game bombs or not, i want it. Now. Please?

I enjoy the first game, the sequel may be fun too. Maybe the faces will work this time though?

I misread this and now I'm upset. I thought it was an Eternal Darkness sequel, you know a good game compared to that studios own Too Human garbage...Uhh...something to contribute to this thread...

The demo to the first one was cool? I liked the monsters sticking out of your ...out of your camera angle?

Now I really need to finish the first one. It was one of the first game I picked up for my PS3, and after all these years I have yet to see the end credits.

Really enjoyed the first one at the time so this is good. I aslo liked Dark Sector (flawed as it was) so I'm now pretty happy.

Finally! Though it not being made by Starbreeze gives me pause, but I adored the first one, and can't wait.

Friggin' finally! The Darkness is definitely my favorite Xbox game and I've been doubting a sequel since the updates were so far apart.

Took them long enough. Loved the first one and I hope the second will be just as awesome as the first.

YES! I have looked forward to this news for a long time. I'm a little disappointed to read Starbreeze weren't working on this one, but Pariah is a great game so I'm not too concerned the folk at Digital Extremes are working on it.

Time to add another game to my must-buy list of 2011.

The Darkness is Image Comics, is not?
I was taught to always distrust everything that come for Image... So... The Darkness is really good?

I hope that they keep what made the first game interesting (the mechanics, the deep character involvement, Mr. Patton, Hell) and remove the things that didn't (boring small areas that pretend to be New York by Oblivion and are actually Generic City #22 by Pretentious Quake Mod, the main character's leisury gait). I hope they don't make the game any more like the thousands of generic modern shooters with a vague supernatural gimmick or like the Darkness comic (which is great on its terms, but the character development of the game makes it look like, well, a videogame by comparison).

If future developments suggest so, my only response will be \o/.

Yay, the first one was great!

Plus it had that scene, which is one of the best I've played in a game. And story was great.

I didn't think it left itself that open to a sequel though, given that

The first game was alright. In any other industry, it wouldn't have been sequel worthy. However, apparently that isn't the case here. Can't we just let some games stay at 1 (Bioshock *cough)?

Diablo2000:
I was taught to always distrust everything that come for Image... So... The Darkness is really good?

The Walking Dead is also an Image comic. Not every comic they've published is bad. The game is good. I don't know about the comic.

Awesome, now make a game around Witchblade.

I honestly want to play as Sara.

I hope this game does well maybe Digital Extremes can work on Dark Sector 2.

My reaction:

I loved The Darkness. It was well written, fun, generally creepy, and with a few really great moments. Definitely stood out among some of the more generic FPSes. Still, I didn't think it was very open to a sequel, but neither was Bioshock, and they still made one. This could be a bad omen, but I don't know enough about the new one to judge. Still, if the new one is at least as fun as it's predecessor, it's still worth picking up. I loved just running around doing stupid things due to the slightly sandbox-esque nature. For example:
I was walking down the street, and a guy walked past. He suddenly pulled a revolver on me, and yelled "Stick em' up, Bitch!" to which I replied in real life "Okay.", and used the tentacle power on him, lifting his still alive but horrified body into the air. I slammed him into a flaming barrel, upon whence he caught fire, still barely alive. As a finale, I threw him into the air and blasted him with a shotgun, which ended perfectly as his still burning ragdoll body landed across a flag pole.
Damn, I'm a sicko, but he was a mugger, he probably deserved it.

Irridium:
Bitchin'

This said it all.

I say, LET IT HAPPEN!

Honestly, I thought the game was ripe for a sequel.

So, anybody think we'll see Angelus in this one?

Whoo!!!

Fuck yeah!

*starts dancing happily*

CD-R:

Diablo2000:

The Walking Dead is also an Image comic. Not every comic they've published is bad. The game is good. I don't know about the comic.

It's hit or miss a lot of the time. The original issues of The Darkness were written by Garth Ennis and were smart, violent, and filled with a lot of black humor. It went downhill pretty quickly after that, but I've heard it's gotten a lot better over the past few years.

Oh man, I'm so excited for this. I love the first game and hearing rumors everywhere about the sequel made me really wish for one. So glad to see it's finally going to be done!

Now, time to break out the first game again and refresh the memory.

As long as they tighten up the level design (I often got lost in The Darkness and I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT'S BECAUSE I'M RETARDED), and keep everything else - improve the graphics as everyone does for sequels - this could be a sleeper hit like the first one was. I'm excited.

Wow, what a great thing to see first thing when I log onto The Escapist's website. I have been a HUGE fan of The Darkness since I read the very first comic. Jackie just always had this wonderful balance about him that made me like him. He was a VERY bad kinda guy that did some terribly gruesome things to the people that crossed him, yet he always had a kind and pure heart. He tried his best to do right by people and uphold a code of honor. He also tried to shield those he cared for and to protect them from harm. In the end he couldn't and this amounts to also adding the tragic avenger role to him as well.

The first game did it's best when it came to handling Jackie's powers (not an easy task when the powers in question are the primordial force behind all things dark and chaotic and are limited only by the vessel's sense of imagination) and I can only see good things coming our way in a sequel.

I for one was sold with the words "Quad Wield" but I can only hope they introduce the other fan favorites from The Darkness series like one of the incarnations of the Angelus (Immortal adversary of the Darkness), the Magdalena, the Witchblade wielder, (Sara please, but Danielle would work too) and maybe even Sonatine and his Brotherhood. Let's face it the first game got a bit old with only the three major enemy types of cops, mobsters, and undead nazis. There was no real badass super enemies to throw a challenge at us.

It may sound nuts but with all the back list of allies/enemies there's enough fodder to make at least two or maybe even three more games. *HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE*

About time, the Darkness was just an excellent game, story, gameplay and all. A little inconsistent, maybe, but good enough to make that a non-issue. It's still one of my favourite FPSs.

I'm a little worried about the new developer though. I didn't particularly care for any of those mentioned games (not that they were bad), and they've got big shoes to fill.

JayDub147:
Honestly, I thought the game was ripe for a sequel.

So, anybody think we'll see Angelus in this one?

.....Must resist Drakengard joke, Must resist...drakengard..joke.

YAY!

hopefulkly we can be a bit more freeform with the darkness in this game...cause in the first game's cutscenes the darkness was letting you climb all over walls and cool stuff like that

Owww... My wallet... It already knows I'm getting this first day.

Ok, this was the final thing I needed to declare 2011 as one of the best years in gaming for awhile.

Now, if only us poor peasabt pc gamers could be given the gift of the first game to play alongside the second, I'd be doubly chuffed!

Sweet. Yet another reason for me to get the first one.

LawlessSquirrel:
About time, the Darkness was just an excellent game, story, gameplay and all. A little inconsistent, maybe, but good enough to make that a non-issue. It's still one of my favourite FPSs.

I'm a little worried about the new developer though. I didn't particularly care for any of those mentioned games (not that they were bad), and they've got big shoes to fill.

I agree for the first part, but... Pariah WAS bad. No, it was beyond bad. It was terrible, insipid, and unfinished. Just annoying...
That being said, I think that if they emulate the style of the comics and expand upon the substance of the original, we will have a winner worthy of calling itself The Darkness 2.

And my fingers are crossed for the Angelus! Maybe even throw in Jackie's twin sis too. C'mon, Digital... It'll be "extremely" bad if you screw this up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here