Robot Shocks Coffee Shop Patrons With Pastry Order

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Robot Shocks Coffee Shop Patrons With Pastry Order

A robotic avatar was caught on video ordering a sugary snack for its master.

Wouldn't it be weird if you were on the way to work, trying to get a cup of coffee for a pick-me-up, and a robot wheeled up next to you and ordered a scone? That's exactly what was recently caught on video in Mountain View, CA.

Apparently, photographer Aaron Blumenshine was getting lunch when he noticed a robot rolling down the street. He popped out his camera and filmed it as it entered a local coffee shop.

The robot acted like any other normal human being would, waiting in the line to place its order. The barista informed the robot of the scone flavors the coffee shop carried, it ordered one with a $5 bill attached to its head, gave the barista a $2.75 tip, and carried the scone away in a bag. As the coffee shop patrons filmed and took pictures, the robot said: "I didn't know there'd be so much paparazzi in this coffee shop!"

The robot was not a VGO like the one used by an unhealthy boy to attend school, but it was similar. It was an Anybot, sold by Anybots, Inc as a robotic avatar meant for these kinds of tasks.

These robots aren't the autonomous world-destroyers we'll hopefully never encounter, but it's still a little weird to see one on the streets. It'll be even weirder when Anybots or other similar robotic models become bipedal and start expanding their abilities past ordering pastries.

Source: Aaron Blumenshine's Blog, via Technabob

Damn, I was hoping it'd have a stereotypical robot voice.

It should have started randomly firing its laser at the patrons.

Whaddya mean "It doesn't have lasers"?

This is hilarious. I love technology.

So NOT set up (/sarcasm)....but still cool. I used to think of doing that with a programmable remote control car....lol. Used to bring notes to people like that.

Fact: Robots tip better than most people I know.

First our scones, THEN THE WORLD!

In all seriousness, that's awesome. I want one.

So much awesome, so little time.

So it's basically a segway with a 3D webcam (so as to perceive depth) controlled by remote? I want to understand this thing so it may find me useful and enslave me as opposed to killing me and using my greasy innards for lubricant. All hail our new, scone-eating overlords!

"It's ghouls I tell ya. Religious ghouls in rockets looking for a land to call their own. Dont you laugh at me!"

Im not sure why that quote came to mind while watching the vid.

Good to see tech being used to help people.

I think these will become common in a few years. Well, not really common but only slightly rarer than people in wheel chairs etc.

That was pretty cool, although I can't say I wasn't disappointed with the fact it didn't have the typical microsoft Sam voice to modulate his. It would have been hilarious.

Robots will destroy our economy by tipping too well.

OT: That was oddly heartwarming.

Wow, that made my Rovio look like a childish piece of garbage. I think I have robot envy.

Meh, at least that robot is well-designed. It clearly has good taste in pastries.

Fronzel:
Damn, I was hoping it'd have a stereotypical robot voice.

So was I. But still...I want one, NAO. Never leave the house again.

EDIT: Actually, I want at least five, all at different locations. I'm at 6 different places at the same time! Godlike.

EDIT #2:
Does anyone know the price of one?

Was the bot being remotely controlled by it's master or was it programmed to speak and interact the way it did?

He should have covered the camera on his side, that way it would be much cooler.

"I am a robot and this is my favourite scone on the Coffee Shop"

Awesomeness aside; was it just me, or did that picture on the little screen remind anyone else of Frasier?

luckycharms8282:
"It's ghouls I tell ya. Religious ghouls in rockets looking for a land to call their own. Dont you laugh at me!"

Im not sure why that quote came to mind while watching the vid.

I totally read that in his voice.

Randomly meeting a robot in a coffee shop: that's the kind of thing that makes you smile and say "Today was special." And I too get the feeling this will become the norm in a few years, although I can't help but wonder about the lazy people who will abuse the convenience of it somehow.

Ah, Mr. future. Nice to see ya. Could you possibly add arms to your robots, and maybe make them affordable? That would be great. Thanks!

"Your ROOMBA has evolved into an ANYBOT!

ANYBOT wants to learn BUY SCONE, but it already knows 4 moves. Delete a move to make room for BUY SCONE? 1,2...and Poof! ANYBOT forgot VACUUM, and learned BUY SCONE!"

dogstile:
This is hilarious. I love technology.

Science! Technology! Future!

But f'serious. Robots are fascinatingly complex things.

I want a robot to fetch me scones.

It won't be long now.....till we're fucking these things. It's always about sex, always.

That is brilliant. My GF and I just stared at this video like it was the beg. of something BIG.

Love it!

A robot I can use to buy scones without lifting my arse out of my chair?
I want one.

Note to self: Robots are good tippers.

What an ingenious idea. Combining a Segway and a Roomba, to do menial tasks for me! I want one.

I WANT ONE!!!

Then again, I should probably wait until they install sort of defense mechanism. After all, it's a defensless machine that rolls down the street carrying money and pastries. Not to mention it relies to much on we mere humans to open doors and such. But this is still awesome.

It wears a bow tie.

OH. MY. GOD!!! THEY CAN ORDER PASTERIES!!!!

Seriously though, wicked cool.

Just another reminder that we have officially entered the future.

Also, I am slightly disappointed that they didn't give it a Dalek voice.

Wait, the money was strapped to its head?

I'm surprised no-one stole it.

PhunkyPhazon:
I WANT ONE!!!

Then again, I should probably wait until they install sort of defense mechanism. After all, it's a defensless machine that rolls down the street carrying money and pastries. Not to mention it relies to much on we mere humans to open doors and such. But this is still awesome.

I think a lockbox that's nailed to it should suffice.

And your avatar makes my brain bleed.

At $30,000 it doesn't seem like I'll be getting one anytime soon, but the price will apparently go down to 5,000 as the company works on ways to reduce costs (probably for manufacture, labor and materials, I'm guessing).

I would love to get one of these, though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here