Activision Pulls the Plug on Guitar Hero Franchise

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'm thinking Guitar Hero is a victim of its own success, I mean I've bought two games from the franchise and now have two guitars, a drum set at home, and I got bored of it after a year or so and wouldn't buy another game like this in future. If I want to play this I'll just return to the game and instruments I already have. Considering the fact that many people have the games and instruments already at home, there is a small amount of people to sell the new games to.

Oh thank god. At least song downloads for this game won't be cluttering up my Xbox dashboard anymore.

I've been a Rock Band fanboy for a while now, so this makes me a little happy.

Though I have GH fanboy friends who may be a bit devestated. Especially the one who was always telling me how GH was so much better than RB

Another classicly stupid decision by Activision. Take perfectly good programmers and throw them out on the streets. Don't find them another project ... something ORIGIONAL to do or nothing. What an utter waste.

Damn, i was still waiting for a decent track-list for vocals

Thank the Gods! No offence to the game I enjoy playing it but when an over extended francise is put to rest and the people behind it go on to make newer and better things it makes me happy // The Finial Fantacys and Madeen football developers out there could take note

-M

Jellly:
About fucking time.

Agreed, they just kept on dragging it out for as long as possible.

Guitar Hero stopped being fun when it was just Activision wearing Guitar Hero's skin as a mask. The game's soul left with Harmonix and Rock Band/Rock Band 2 are the true sequels. We haven't lost anything... yet. Activision may have milked the whole genre to death.

BEAT HAZARD is far more entertaining for me anyway.

Rock Band is better anyway. That, and since MW2 I'm fully boycotting anything Activision farts out, so I can't bring myself to care either way.

I don't even think Activision did it yearly, I think it was bi-yearly. You couldn't turn with out a new guitar hero to play.

Oh well, no loss for me. I kept away from that franchise because i wanted to be able to play Monster Magnet songs and their lack of uploading my own tunes made it unappealing.

The same happend to Tony Hawk's Franchise they make a lot of games really fast and then they have nothing

man.. I really wanted the Queen soundtrack.
If only they had settled with releasing "World Tour" and having some sort of iTunes-like store to buy themes, rather than constantly releasing new entries with completely random tracks... what a terrible way to handle your business.

not surprising, i never liked the serie as i could usually afford a real guitar for the same price.

That's what you get when you saturate the market with games who's prices are inflated by a bunch of accessories. Nobody wants to keep on buying new guitars, your house gets filled with the shit and it's hard to justify the cost when you have plenty of working instruments and usually just play alone or have a friend bring over their own stuff anyway. I know it's possible to buy this disc alone, but these usually just go a bit below retail at release and it's hard to justify this purchase as well, seeing as how it's unlikely you'll enjoy more than half of the songs.

They should have released one (plus) game every two years and supply the current game with a quality amount of DLC, more similar to what Rock Band does. The new game a year thing was never going to work in the long run and Activision only has themselves to blame, which is unfortunate for the Developers, but they surely have a decent level of experience to find more employment.

Still, I've played Warriors of Rock and I thought it was one of the better ones yet, even though it does cater to the hardcore gamer more than the guy who wants to play with friends.

http://www.1up.com/news/family-guy-wipeout-games-announced

They've also canceled True Crime: Hong Kong. But look what they are making instead. Family Guy game. A TV series that should have been buried at the end of series 4 when it ceased to be funny. And Total Wipeout (not the fun racing one.) a game that received a shitty Wii Shovelware game last year.

Activision is dead to me.

I can't say this loud enough without amplification, so please, bear with me...

(Grabs Mic...)

This thing's on now, RIGHT?

>shit<

Sorry.

>ahem<

HEY BOBBY, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOUR FUCKING FAT GREEDY GOLDBRICKING ASS ON YOUR WAY OUT!

And you can fucking QUOTE me on that. So, when is Rock Band 4 development starting up?

Never mind Guitar Hero, they cancelled True Crime: Hong Kong for god sake. I don't care about a musical game series that has been milked to death and should've died a year ago, I care about a game with actual potential and fun gameplay more original than the crap Activision's been producing for the past few years. Activision cares only for milking the profits out of existing game franchises and considers any game that can only exist by making a few less million dollars a failure.
So I declare war on Activision and its pants-on-head-retarded CEO. I'm uninstalling all Activision games from my computer and I'm refusing to buy any more until Bobby Kotick either steps down or gains a conscience.

On the bright side, the cancellation of True Crime: Hong Kong finally convinced me to upgrade my avatar.

They should have brought out a new guitar hero once every console.. Not once every month..

do you think this will make that bloodsucker Kotick see what his business plan does?
Doubt it, man has the brains of the leech he so closely resembles.

Jellly:
About fucking time.

Amen, brother.
Condolences about the job losses, though. That sucks.

I always regarded GH was for those who wanted a challenge and RB to be for those who just wanted to have fun. Fun, remember that? Before you went online to get the online achievements in GHSH and the only song anyone played was TTFAF?

Was a whole lot done from GH5 to GH6? Going from 3 to 4 included vocals and drums, 5... didn't do a whole lot, and I suspect 6 didn't do a whole lot either. Metallica had a soundtrack that was just over half Metallica, Van Halen actually took a step backwards by not using the concurrently released GH5 engine. (BTW, Metallica and Van Halen vans should be thanking the Aerosmith fans who had to put up with a really suboptimal game so they could get better games.) Oh yeah, and then there was Band Hero which didn't do a whole lot of anything.

RB1 to 2 improved the Tour mode and added drum solos, and 3 added keys and Pro mode, which I'd take over the entirety of 2112 any day. Beatles added vocal harmonies, but Green Day didn't do a whole lot either. This isn't to say Harmonix can't screw up RB, but at least they're not oversaturating the market... yet. Hopefully they'll learn from GH's errors.

Jaime_Wolf:
Good. Guitar Hero ceased being able to compete with Rock Band years ago.

That makes about as much sense as LBP being able to compete with Mario. Try again. (Hint: Other way around)

OT: GH6 was the perfect swan song for the franchise. If it weren't for oversaturation, GH could've been an amazing thing. Instead, it's just a great thing. Hopefully RB dies as well, as it's still a few years away from being able to match GH3, let alone GH6. We don't need such a downgrade continuing in GH's place.

Ldude893:
On the bright side, the cancellation of True Crime: Hong Kong finally convinced me to upgrade my avatar.

Very nice it is too. :P

guitar hero greatly improved my real guitar playing speed. that being said.... it retarded my accuracy.

Madmanonfire:

Jaime_Wolf:

That makes about as much sense as LBP being able to compete with Mario. Try again. (Hint: Other way around)

OT: GH6 was the perfect swan song for the franchise. If it weren't for oversaturation, GH could've been an amazing thing. Instead, it's just a great thing. Hopefully RB dies as well, as it's still a few years away from being able to match GH3, let alone GH6. We don't need such a downgrade continuing in GH's place.

rock band 3 is better than any other music game. due to the fact that i can actually play a guitar... :P so no it isnt a downgrade. better tech. better(and more) songs. i think rockband has some life left.

I hope this brings more exposure to the open source alternative, frets on fire

Also where the industry failed, they needed to develop an algorithm that would take any mp3 and instantly make a game track out of it. Instead they tried re-sell the same game with different songs. Or tried to sell old song as overpriced dlc.

There is no substantial gameplay difference between guitar hero 1 and 4, only different songs.

Reiterating what's already been said; thank god, took long enough, about time, Activision's own fault, shouldn't have done what they did, etc.

Harmonix > any lap dogs Activision can scrounge up to make another 'Hero' sequel.

BrokenBoySoldier:
do you think this will make that bloodsucker Kotick see what his business plan does?
Doubt it, man has the brains of the leech he so closely resembles.

Haha! That's gold right there.

Ldude893:
Never mind Guitar Hero, they cancelled True Crime: Hong Kong for god sake. I don't care about a musical game series that has been milked to death and should've died a year ago, I care about a game with actual potential and fun gameplay more original than the crap Activision's been producing for the past few years. Activision cares only for milking the profits out of existing game franchises and considers any game that can only exist by making a few less million dollars a failure.
So I declare war on Activision and its pants-on-head-retarded CEO. I'm uninstalling all Activision games from my computer and I'm refusing to buy any more until Bobby Kotick either steps down or gains a conscience.

Hehe, you should read the financial report.

Bobby Kotick:
At the same time, due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011. The company also will stop development on True Crime: Hong Kong™. These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just rubbing it in, but it cracks me up.

Also from the same report:

Bobby Kotick:
In 2011, the company will allocate the majority of its resources and focus toward opportunities which we expect will afford us the greatest competitive advantages and the greatest potential for best-in-class quality, high-margin digital growth, and long-term success. These opportunities include Blizzard Entertainment's games currently in development, robust investment in forthcoming Call of Duty titles, the development of a best-in-class digital community surrounding the Call of Duty franchise, a new property from Bungie and an innovative new universe with broad appeal that will be revealed at Toy Fair later this week and will bring the world of toys, video games and the Internet together in an unprecedented way.

Direct from the Kotick dictionary!
Robust investment: "I'm going to run this brand into the fucking ground!"

I'll be interested in seeing what this new universe with apparently broad appeal will be though.

I sort of seen this coming. Once it became the norm and everyone started making new kinds of music games, they simply lost their appeal. :x

I couldn't care less about the GH franchise, but I hope DJ Hero continues.

I used to download DLC for Rock Band almost every other week, but I think I downloaded under 10 songs in all of 2010. Still waiting on Goo Goo Dolls... (I heard Name came out for GH, but I would never buy a whole game for one DLC song)

That's a shame that people are going to lose their jobs for this, but dang... there were just too many Guitar Hero games. Sure it was great when it was brand new because it was a fresh idea, but releasing two games every year with the same exact formula was too much. It's a shame, but rhythm games are pretty much over and this proves it.

Madmanonfire:

Jaime_Wolf:

I want to know how Rock Band is a downgrade from Guitar Hero. If Harmonix(who I'm going to hope you do know created Guitar Hero and all) hadn't made Rock Band, there is a very good chance that you'd probably just now be getting drums and whatnot in Guitar Hero. Rock Band also set the precedence to import songs from previous titles, as well as DLC carrying over.

Quite a lot that Guitar Hero has, infact was on Rock Band first.

Rock Band now boasts a musical library of 2,500+ songs, has pro-modes which allow people to get a start on learning instruments and songs within the game, and one more instrument over Guitar Hero.

Quite frankly I was expecting an announcement on how they were going to fail at attempting to top Rock Band this year, but instead they just gave up. Rock Band totally sounds like a downgrade.

I'm sure this has been said already, but why did they release a Guitar Hero every year? They could have kept this going longer if they... i dunno... paced themselves better.

Macgyvercas:
Why couldn't they have gotten Stairway to Heaven BEFORE this happened? Now I'll never get to play it on Guitar Hero.

You know Stairway to Heaven will never (or at least not in the next decades) be in a music game, right?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here