Twilight Screenwriter Penning Highlander Reboot

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Twilight Screenwriter Penning Highlander Reboot

It's out with vampires and werewolves for the Twilight screenwriter, and in with immortal Egyptians with Spanish names and Japanese swords.

Back in 2008, the studio behind the Twilight movies, Summit Entertainment, announced that it was remaking the original Highlander movie. Now it seems the Twilight connection will run even deeper, as Melissa Rosenberg - who wrote the three Twilight movies that Summit has released so far, as well as the two in production - has signed up to create the script.

The years have not been kind to the Highlander franchise. The first movie starred Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery and told the story of a race of immortal swordsmen, fighting amongst themselves for a mystical prize. It was good, but it left no room for a sequel. Unfortunately, that didn't stop people from making one: Highlander 2: The Quickening. The movie was so bad and incomprehensible that the director wanted his name taken off it, and most fans consider it to be non-canon. Not that the subsequent sequels were much to write home about either. They never equalled the low point of The Quickening, but still met with overwhelmingly negative responses. With that legacy, it's hard to see how this reboot can be any worse.

Aside from her work penning supernatural love triangles, Rosenberg was one of the writers for the TV show Dexter and has been nominated for two Emmy awards. Unfortunately, she's also been nominated for a Razzie award, for her script for New Moon, but lost out to - or triumphed over, depending on your point of view - the writers of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Rosenberg is not the first person to work on the script however. The initial draft was written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, two of the writers for Iron Man.

Justin Lin - who has directed every Fast and the Furious movie since Tokyo Drift - is attached to direct the movie, and Neal Moritz - who's also working on the Total Recall reboot with Colin Farrell - is producing. Last year, Mortiz said that the movie would be an origin story, and wouldn't come out until 2012 at the earliest.

Source: Heat Vision Blog

If it's worse than Highlander 2 (We dare not speak its name), then I shall be impressed.

But seriously, Guy meets other Guy, chops off head. Rinse-repeat. I just Chop and Go.

Oh dear god... And I just realized how many threads Ive responded to with those three words... anyways, I can sense this movie has a 80% chance of failing like all the others, and the 20% success is really pushing it.

Didn't see Highlander, but I imagine someone saying "OH noes, SHE'LL RUIN EVERYTHING" in 3.....2.....1

Note* I'm aware that someone might reply. If so, can you post a funny photo with it?

Note* Twilight vs Dexter mmm? As long that she did not wrote the first few episodes of Dexter season 1, I'll be ok with the choice of writer.

EDIT: It's funny that I have responses saying "It's already ruined. It couldn't be worse".

Random Argument Man:
As long that she did not wrote the first few episodes of Dexter season 1, I'll be ok with the choice of writer.

You know that those episodes are perhaps the most faithful to the books?

Random Argument Man:
Didn't see Highlander, but I imagine someone saying "OH noes, SHE'LL RUIN EVERYTHING" in 3.....2.....1

Well since the Highlander franchise has been beaten to death already I can't see how this could be ruined further.

EDIT: Case in point:

Even the Twilight fight scenes looked better than this.

And I can't find a clip of the final fight in this movie where he spins around the bad guy so fast he digs himself into the ground like a Tasmanian Devil.

EDIT 2: Found the best video to explain

Twilight was based on horrible source material that you can't really improve if you're trying to stay true to it, so I'm gonna give the writer the benefit of a doubt.
The only worry I have is about the action sequences turning into shakey cam shitfests where you can't see the actual fight.

Oh well, Highlander is basically Anne Rice for men, so why not?
It's physically impossible for a remake to be as bad as a sequel to a movie that needed no sequel.

Lonely Swordsman:
Twilight was based on horrible source material that you can't really improve if you're trying to stay true to it, so I'm gonna give the writer the benefit of a doubt.
The only worry I have is about the action sequences turning into shakey cam shitfests where you can't see the actual fight.

or even worse, it could be like in Highlander: The Source, where you can see the actual fight, and you don't want to

The_root_of_all_evil:

Random Argument Man:
As long that she did not wrote the first few episodes of Dexter season 1, I'll be ok with the choice of writer.

Just because they are faithful doesn't mean they are good. Just look at FMA and The Godfather; both FAR exceed the quality of their source material. (For the love of God, don't get me started on FMA:B)

@OP

Is it ok for a grown man to cry tears of pain? Because, that is what this article has driven to!

Why is highlander doomed to eternally dissapoint me in new and epicly depressing ways...

THe worst part is i have no idea if they even CAN make the worst highlander movie even with all the wrong people in place, the series is that bad.

because some one has to say it.

'Oh God No! They are going to spill forth Lucky Charms from their neck cavities when they get decapitated now!'

lol ah, disco ball vampires.
so wrong.

Any news on the casting yet?
I'm curious who's gonna be the new Connor. (assuming this movie is about Connor)

There can only be three

Love Triangles are essential to selling movies.

My initial thought was, "Someone kill this person quickly" but then on reflection she might actually do a good job. Its logical to assume shes learnt something from the Twilight films and Highlander is about immortals trying to kill each other so its not exactly a far step.

No, I think Ill be quite interested to see what she pulls out the sporran on this one. It will either be a breath of fresh wind into a name thats been buggered to hell or it will be the final nail in the coffin.

Scrumpmonkey:
Why is highlander doomed to eternally dissapoint me in new and epicly depressing ways...

Oddly enough, this question was answered in the first movie, in the form of a song:

Who wants their franchise to live forever?

thenumberthirteen:

Random Argument Man:

Well since the Highlander franchise has been beaten to death already I can't see how this could be ruined further.

EDIT: Case in point:

Even the Twilight fight scenes looked better than this.

And I can't find a clip of the final fight in this movie where he spins around the bad guy so fast he digs himself into the ground like a Tasmanian Devil.

EDIT 2: Found the best video to explain

Thanks for this, you immortal fuck.

"Oh no" was my first thought. But it may not be as bad as all that. Hopefully there's room for Adrian Paul (despite my ex having a scary crush on him, I still like him better than Christopher Lambert).

Or else there'll be a third McLeod immortal (which wouldn't surprise me either).

Exterminas:
Oh well, Highlander is basically Anne Rice for men, so why not?

You know, I never thought about it that way, but that's a pretty good description. The concept of Highlander, at least, makes for a nice guilty pleasure.

Elementlmage:

Just because they are faithful doesn't mean they are good.

Careful young padwan, that way the Prequels lie. Accepting them leads to watching that which shall not be named, and we have lost many to the Sparkle Side. Easier it is, quick to join you in a fight. Once you start liking the Sparkle though, forever will it dominate your view, consume you, it will. Until you accept that The Quickening isn't as bad as some say. Then, you are lost.

So many things that made me upset in this article.
I'll give the twilight screenwriter a chance seeing as she wrote episodes for dexter however when it said she replaced the Ironman writers I doubt her version will/would've been as good as theirs.

Also the fact that a Fast and Furious director is remaking Total Recall made me facepalm and then when I saw Colin Farrell was the lead I slammed my head against a wall.

Please I know this is now the trend to reboot and remake stuff but stop getting everything wrong when you do so.

YAY! I love highlander and have been waiting for ages for a remake!

Not to fussed about who's writing it, as long as it's modernised.

I have a bad feeling about this... still spooney's reaction should be interesting.

megs1120:
Thanks for this, you immortal fuck.

Hello Joe!

I honestly don't know what to say about this. I did watch Highlander pretty recently, and there were some parts of the movie came off a bit stupid. Like, that homophobic cop who hassled MacLeod for no real reason.

Edit: I just realized something. Highlander is a much better source material than Twilight. When you boil it down, it's a simple plot about immortal swordsmen compared to a bad harlequin romance novel. You can't really fault the screenwriter, since he had to work with such shit.

Why must they do all they can to ruin my childhood? :(

Logan Westbrook:
The initial draft was written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, two of the writers for Iron Man.

Too many cooks spoils the broth...

And if her only other noteworthy job in her work-history is "Dexter" we shouldn't be getting optimistic at all. Even if you are a fan of the show, you have to admit its all pretty predictable.

The_root_of_all_evil:
If it's worse than Highlander 2 (We dare not speak its name), then I shall be impressed.

But seriously, Guy meets other Guy, chops off head. Rinse-repeat. I just Chop and Go.

Remember, it's by the Twilight screenwriter. Things won't be that simple.

"There can be only one!"

"But why?"
"Why must we always fight?"
"I'm in love with a teenager."
"Is my ass fat in these pants?"

hansari:

Logan Westbrook:
The initial draft was written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, two of the writers for Iron Man.

Too many cooks spoils the broth...

Let's not forget that that script was handled by Marvel's brain-trust.

Only one thing could make this film of any consequence. Clancy Brown.

There's actually one movie worse in the franchise than The Quickening:
Highlander: The Source.

Just... I hate that movie.

Also when I first read the title for the article I actually cried out "NOOOO!"... I love Highlander. I'm a huge fan. But... Stop beating on the franchise moviemakers? Please?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Random Argument Man:

A. There's books !?!??!
B. I didn't really get into Dexter because the first episodes bored me. Perharps it was the monotone narration at the the start. At least, it got better.

I saw the tweet of this article and I screamed my lungs out for crying out loud. WHAT THE HELL?

Oh god... Not the Egyptians... We built one of the greatest achievements of ancient civilization, and this is where we end up? That's it, i'm going to go kill whatever controls the universe. There's no going back.

I mean, sure, the first was alright, but she is so going to drag all the awesomeness of Egyptian names into the ground... Kind of like she did with vamps in New Moon.

This remake/reboot will be the equivalent to the kurgen jumping out of a dark alley and saying "hello pretty".

Eh. I'll just watch the first one instead. As long as they don't take that one away, there really is nothing you can do to ruin it. It's always going to be there.

Let the crazy people try to make another goofy re-boot. Maybe we'll get a good soundtrack out of it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here