Videogame Music Secretly Wins First Grammy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Videogame Music Secretly Wins First Grammy

Videogame music has won its first Grammy, even though it may have been indirectly.

A little over five years after the release of Civilization IV, one of the songs from its soundtrack has won a Grammy. The 53rd Grammy Awards show honored Christopher Tin's "Baba Yetu" with not only the first videogame song Grammy nomination, but the first videogame song win.

"Baba Yetu" was awarded the Grammy for "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)." The song went up against the likes of music from Bobby McFerrin and musical legend Herbie Hancock.

The thing is, it was kind of an accident. "Baba Yetu" won due to its inclusion on Tin's album Calling All Dawns, released in October 2009, and not as the opening song from Civilization IV. However, it was composed specifically for the game. To see the song go so far isn't surprising, because it tends to hook anyone that listens.

"Baba Yetu" is a rendition of Chrisianity's "Lord's Prayer" sung in Swahili, but did you know that it also has officially endorsed English lyrics? It's true. I'm going to go ahead and say it was smart of Tin to stick with the Swahili version for his album.

Stealth Grammy; hard to pull of but ultimately more satisfying. Usualy performed with a knife.

Well yeah, I didn't stop on the menu screen because I was having trouble reading, y'know.

Best. Menu. Music. Ever.

Now I REALLY want this game.

Thank god this won. This is an amazing song through and through. I would definitely put this song up as the best video game music ever.

It's about damn time, maybe now there'll be more... I doubt it though :(

Awesome! I LOVED Civ 4 because of that song.

Now, Let this one win a Grammy too! Please?

Does the stealth grammy get it's own statue? And does this statue look like this?

Now, I wish SOTC songs would win Grammies :L

I was wondering why music from Civ IV won a Grammy since, you know, Grammies typically go to music within the last year, and Civ V came out not too long ago...

Stealthy, stealthy Grammy.

F*cking awesome song, man. :O

So deserved, oh yes.

I already have a friend who obsesses with getting EVERYBODY to listen to this song. Now I'm never going to be able to get him to stop.

Great song, and a darn good music video, too. I'm sad that I had never seen that before today.

Very nicely done. I wish the music industry would recognize music composed for games more often. Some of my favorite music is from videogames (The KH series music remains some of my absolute favorite music).

Well, looks like I'm installing Civ IV back on my computer.

Also, it's funny when you watch the video of his acceptance, you can kind of tell there were some people in the crowd that were a little shocked. You can imagine there were some monocles popping out of eyes when they realized,
"oh dear, we've allowed childish electronic computer games to get a foot in the door... what have we done?"

He definitely earned it, I love that song, it's perhaps one of the most inspiring bits of music I've ever heard.

I'm sad that I never played the Civ games now...I will have to fix that.

Caligulove:
Well, looks like I'm installing Civ IV back on my computer.

Also, it's funny when you watch the video of his acceptance, you can kind of tell there were some people in the crowd that were a little shocked. You can imagine there were some monocles popping out of eyes when they realized,
"oh dear, we've allowed childish electronic computer games to get a foot in the door... what have we done?"

Got a link to that video? I could only find an interview he did before the winners were announced.

Interesting that it couldn't win until they put it on an album? I mean, the song existed before then. It really annoys me that media and art involved in gaming has to go through so much crap to be legitimized.

Wait... music is included in other things besides movie soundtracks and artist albums??!?! OH GOD.

My entire life is a lie.

More proof that PC gaming is superior!

(Just kidding)

But seriously, congratulations on the award.

lol
if they'd include more video game music in the grammys they'd pull off at least one of the shiny things every year

that awe inspiring video only reminded me how desperately civ v needed cut scenes

Could this be the age of the Grammy winning video game music? Properly not.

That was a truly deserving winner. And now I REALLY want that game! This would not have been possible if videogame music had not advanced beyond the small-budget 8-bit era. Hopefully we get more videogame music grammys in the future, The Halo theme (IMHO) is one possible contender for it, as is "Still Alive" (The Portal one, not the Mirror's Edge one... hmm... well ok, the Mirror's Edge one as well.)

I remember first playing Civ IV, I immediately stopped at the menu and listened to this beautiful piece of music.

It reminds me that Civilization isn't all about war.

This was well deserved. I join my voice to those others that had a tendency to pause at the menu screen.

Edit: Just wanted to mention Zak Belicas "What's the World come to." Theme of Sin Emergence: Episodes (that sadly got cancelled after the first episode.

First Trent Reznor wins a Golden Globe (and possibly on track to win an Oscar) and now video game music wins a Grammy.

My 19-year-old self still can't believe it.

I sucked ass at civilization four, but I loved this song.

I actually played Vanilla CivIV over BTS for the sole reason of getting to hear this song.

Too bad that it couldn't win as video game music :/

didn't play the game/series, but that trailer is really something amazing :0

Pretty sure this is old news and has been posted before.

FOX news is probably going to start reporting on how listening to video game music will make you deaf.

That's not a secret.

Hm. Never played a Civilization game before, but this video/song makes me want to remedy that. Is it worth it?

In any case, that song deserves the award it got. A beautiful piece of music.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here