Voting Begins for Smithsonian Videogame Exhibit

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Yes! Finally. The United State's goverment has funded an insitution that considers video games ART.

Take that Congressmen of the United States who oppose video games!

Seriously, what are strategy games doing in the console sections!?

Short answer: Wha?

Long answer: Did I just read the header correctly? The Smithsonian is going to hold a video game exhibit? Duuuuude.

Edit: LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY COMPLETE FOR THE PS2!

Dragon Age is in the PS3 section....DRAGON AGE IS IN HE PS3 SECTION!?

These guys are morons and the museum is a joke.

EDIT: And they continue to put strategy games in the console section, these guys are retarded. (not to mention putting Ultima 4 in the SEGA section)

Worst website design I have ever seen. Yay for "art".

Not to mention they have genres/categories seriously messed up, and they also have the games and voting split up by platforms, when platform is the last thing on anyone's mind when considering "game art".

half life 1, or Portal. I've heard good things about Deus Ex, but being I haven't played it yet, i can't really vote for it just yet

Doesn't work. Unless thats the joke, that no videogame is art hence nothing to vote for.

Xzi:

Stammer:
The games just take a while to load. Give it ~2 minutes. If it doesn't load, refresh the page and try waiting another ~2 minutes.

I know about the problem, but just have a little patience. It took me a while too but I eventually got it to work. I've now voted for each era ;D

I see. Well the page says it's finished loading after a couple seconds.

Yeah, it'll say it's 100% loaded. But still give it a minute or two.

This is really pretty cool. I'd really like to see the exhibit when it's done.

the antithesis:
I wonder what Roger Ebert thinks about this.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw this.

I have to choose between Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango, and Fallout?

Wow, these guys are evil.

Traun:

EDIT: And they continue to put strategy games in the console section, these guys are retarded. (not to mention putting Ultima 4 in the SEGA section)

In order to make sure that games were not doubled up, they were spread across platforms to ensure we could include as many as we could that would fit the narrative we are telling.

As for strategy games in console section, it is Strategy/Combat. Surprise, there are combat and strategy games on consoles.

Irridium:

Tough choices are what it is all about! :)

Ubermetalhed:
Doesn't work. Unless thats the joke, that no videogame is art hence nothing to vote for.

Site is getting hammered. IT is working on it.

Sober Thal:
Finally, some love for Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders!

Thanks Smithsonian!!

You are welcome. Now, let's see if it gets the votes!

There is only one game, that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt is art: Bioshock. Those 6 words Andrew Ryan spoke still haunt me to this day.

And this page still isn't loading for me

Finally, some love for Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders!

Thanks Smithsonian!!

More people need to know about Elvis impersonating aliens, and how to defeat a two headed squirrel.

EDIT: http://zak-site.com/whatis.htm

'How many 1980s computer games are still being played today? Despite there being no official sequels, relaunches, or support of any kind? How many of these have not one, not two, but four (or more) fan sequels recently completed or in production? Answer: Just one. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.'

CMelissinos:

Traun:

In order to make sure that games were not doubled up, they were spread across platforms to ensure we could include as many as we could that would fit the narrative we are telling.

As for strategy games in console section, it is Strategy/Combat. Surprise, there are combat and strategy games on consoles.

Sounds reasonable...

voted yay!!!

Halo 2
Bioshock
Portal (hope you ae happy escapist i turned down kotor for it
skipped wii
god of war
thragon age origins

deus ex
mario 64
sim city 2000
crash bandicoot

sonic cd
super mario world

sid meier's pirates
smb 3

et extra terrestrial (important)
donkey kong
Tron

Just finished voting. Can't wait to see how it ends up.

Hey guys how long did you have to wait, mine isn't loading after I click an era.

EDIT: Nvm it's just really slow I guess since everyone is voting.

This NEEDS to happen, and while I can guarantee without a doubt that flaming will ensue as to which ones get spots in the exhibit, I will lay my torch low for the sake of games being art, in the most formal of senses.

Edit: Just loked there, and where's my Pocky and Rocky??!!

SAT4NSLILHELPER:
Yay for non-gamers finally starting to take the medium seriously.

It'd be nice if they took it seriously enough to make a working site.

Traun:

CMelissinos:

Traun:

Sounds reasonable...

Thanks!

done voting, can't wait to see what won. Also kudos for listing E.T...good to see someone at the Smithsonian has a sense of humor.

JEBWrench:

SAT4NSLILHELPER:
Yay for non-gamers finally starting to take the medium seriously.

It'd be nice if they took it seriously enough to make a working site.

Works just fine, just getting hammered right now. IT is working on it. Keep trying!

Grey_Focks:
done voting, can't wait to see what won. Also kudos for listing E.T...good to see someone at the Smithsonian has a sense of humor.

:D

Why is it that I get the most unusual inkling that the outcome of this exhibit will be used to claim that "videogames are not art"? There are some games up there(not mentioning any names to avoid conflict) that really don't strike me as artistic endeavors...

Well, c'est la vie. I guess I'll just hope for the best.

Space Invaders. IT's about as classic as they get, still fun, and really a benchmark in gaming.
Legend of Zelda. (would've given it to Super Mario Bros 1, but only 3 was an option. WTF?)
Chrono Trigger. Never played it, but its reputation is legendary.
4th era was a real pain. Way too many great games. Considered DOOM II for a LONG while, for the same reasons as Space Invaders, but eventually had to Deus Ex, because it simply is the better artistic experience.
5th era also had a lot of decent choices (and some really stupid ones. Both World at War, AND Black Ops? Wow.) Once I saw Bioshock, I knew what was getting my vote. Hands down my pick out of the games I'd actually seen or played.

TL;DR
Space Invaders
Legend of Zelda
Chrono Trigger
Deus Ex
Bioshock

Damn you Playstation 2 and your excellent library.
I really, really cannot choose between Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts 2.
Screw you.

And then there's the PC section of Era 5 - where's Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins?
Cus Dragon Age: Origins is present in the PS3 section...
Which, also, has me stumped.
Uncharted 2 or LittleBigPlanet 2?

We should get more than one vote. :P

Oh no don't open this to the public. It's going to be an all final fantasy and call of duty exhibit.

I'm surprised and excited that Earthbound made the list, too bad it'll probably lose to Link to the Past and Chrono Trigger since few people have actually played the godly masterpiece

Good to see them taking video games seriously. However, I'm suspecting to see a few holes in their choices.

The games load for me after I tab away and do something else for about 20 minutes.

I rather hope that some of the era 5 stuff doesn't turn into a fanboy battle like I suspect it may. If it was up to me I'd make the cutoff about 5 years back so we can actually look back with some semblance of perspective. Yeah that means some good games of recent years wouldn't be on the list but on a project like this perspective is key.

On the upside from what I've been able to get to load, Crimson Skies is on the list, such an awesome game.

tghm1801:
Damn you Playstation 2 and your excellent library.
I really, really cannot choose between Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts 2.
Screw you.

It's easy, just ask yourself, "which of these games starts with Sh and ends with adow of the colossus"

Seriously, anyone who doesn't vote for shadow of the colossus and/or votes for any of the COD games will have their IP backtraced and have assasins dispatched to their address.

Irridium:

Era 3 are tough as fuck. Can't decide between Fandango, Fallout and Deus ex.

Era 5 is a bit easier following the grace of multiplattform, but who the fuck considered CoD: World at War and Black Ops as art?

How am I supposed to decide between Portal and Minecraft?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here