Blizzard Shelved StarCraft: Ghost to Support WoW

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Blizzard Shelved StarCraft: Ghost to Support WoW

Blizzard had to make some cuts when World of Warcraft exploded, and unfortunately, StarCraft: Ghost was one of them.

Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime has revealed the real reason that StarCraft: Ghost, the action/stealth spinoff to the studio's smash hit RTS series, was indefinitely postponed in 2006. The truth of the matter is that the game was shelved because Blizzard had its hands full with other titles.

Morhaime said that Blizzard was keenly aware that it couldn't hope to do everything, and so sometimes it had to make hard choices. Ghost was in production at the same time as World of Warcraft and StarCraft 2. When WoW proved to be an amazing hit, Morhaime said that Blizzard had to make a decision about how it was going to allocate resources. In that environment, Morhaime said, Ghost simply couldn't have succeeded.

StarCraft: Ghost would have had players assume the role of Nova, the "ghost" of the title. Nova was a highly trained espionage agent, with psychic abilities that helped her in her missions. Much like another well-known piece of vaporware, Duke Nukem Forever - that is, before those pesky kids at Gearbox went ahead and actually finished it - Ghost went through multiple engines, platforms, and hardware generations; it even changed developer at one point.

It's not clear whether Blizzard plans to resume work on Ghost at any point in the future, although considering the amount of time Blizzard spends on its games, it could be working on it right now and we still wouldn't see it for another five years.

Source: Kotaku

still one of the best games never made. unfortunate.

Haven't heard of it before, although it sounds pretty interesting.
Except - what's up with her ass?

DTWolfwood:
still one of the best games never made. unfortunate.

This confuses me greatly.

tghm1801:

Sex sells.

Uhh. Thought they canceled it like 6 years ago?

Eico:

tghm1801:

Sex sells.

But it looks like your eyes will get sucked into that. :|

It's been a while since I've seen that picture. And still I have the same reaction:

OT:
If the modding tool in SC2 is powerful enough, we might see this in some form as a custom map in SC2.

And I already hated WoW enough for taking so much time out of all the games that Blizzard is actually releasing...I was happier thinking they canceled it because they were doing a shitty job or something. I thought I was over the cancellation, but I just might relapse now D:

At the very least, it was shelved to make way for two massive games. Kinda makes the postponement slightly easier to swallow, if it was necessary to get WoW and SC2 out the door. I just hope that someday, they go back and work on it, as it looked awesome.

tghm1801:

Eico:

tghm1801:

Sex sells.

Don't look directly into it. It'll take your soul.

I'd rather have SC:ghost than wow tbh. I think.

Eico:

tghm1801:

Eico:

Sex sells.

I'm inclined to believe you. :|
It makes Miranda's look normal.

tghm1801:

Eico:

tghm1801:

I have a crush on Miranda. <3

tghm1801:

To quote good old Yahtzee: Pocket Miner Demographic.

Hopefully they'll pull it back down and finish it off. It was obviously a wise choice on their part to shelve it to work on WoW more after it exploded and they saw the oil field they had just discovered.

Eico:

tghm1801:

Eico:

I have a crush on Miranda. <3

Who doesn't? :D
I knew from the moment I saw her in Mass Effect 2 that I was going to go after her. Haha

Pants do NOT work that way, no matter how tight.
That ass is an impossibility.

It must be uncomfortable having your latex ride up like that.

Anyway, I quite disliked her character in SC2, so I can't say I'm disappointed. I'd much rather see a spin-off with that crazy Jamaican guy.

I wonder if they'll ever pick it up again. at least they haven't said never. that shows the believe in it at least.

I was looking forward to SCG for the longest time. Loved the Ghost unit, loved Sarah Kerrigan, and love stealth games.

Now I'm just looking forward to the Imperial Agent class in TOR.

9_6:

Unless the pants were specifically designed to do that.

Or maybe she's not wearing pants. Maybe they just painted over her skin with some sort of... latex paint, I guess?

9_6:

Sure, but who wants too much realism in games anyway?

I remember this. I was very disappointed when it got cancelled, however, me being only 15 years back in 2006 it didn't take long before I forgot about it.

At least it presents a valid reason for the cancelation.

They should have kept this to themselves.

Now WoW haters will have a valid answer to the question "Why do you hate WoW".

Hope they in the future decide to cut WoW in order to get Ghost finally released.

WoW! You Maniacs! You Blew it up! We could have had a awesome Starcraft shooter! Instead we have Halo and Starship troopers: The game :(

After reading the title, I was hoping you'd tell me that they resumed work on it...

:(

Good move from a business POV.

I think I would have rather had them pull a Duke Nukem and just throw it on a side burner and finish it up with the necessary quality when they had a chance. As opposed to just cancelling it to work on WoW.

I can't really blame them for working on WoW though, it did rather explode.

Damn you Blizzard. If you start now then maybe you'll have it done before Gabe Newell regurgitates Episode 3.

why does everyone think that blizzard would have done this well?
what shooters have they done well? um none because they haven't made one before. I'd rather a company stick to what its good at than make a game which they have no prior knowledge of the market of.

Shut down WoW and Starcraft's. Keep on with Diablo III.

... I don't understand. These people have TRILLIONS at their disposal, and they can't make this game?

Well, maybe they didn't have those resources before WoW, but now...
I am bedazzled why's not made yet.

bahumat42:
what shooters have they done well? um none because they haven't made one before. I'd rather a company stick to what its good at than make a game which they have no prior knowledge of the market of.

You mean like all the MMOs they did before WoW.

How is this news? I thought we kinda knew that already..

If you take a look at C&C:Renegade you propably know one of the reasons ghost was shelved. Just sayin'.

SonofSeth:

bahumat42:

You mean like all the MMOs they did before WoW.

Yeah just because they can do a succesful genre leap (and given certain elements of wc3 it wasnt a HUGE LEAP) doesn't mean they will into every other genre. Infact thats absurd on the face of it.

Im not saying they couldn't ever make a good game out of it, nor am i saying its a bad setting (because it is a great setting) im saying it had a fair chance of being a clunker due to them having no experience in the area. A lot of people seem to be blind to that chance.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here