No Joke, Double Fine Tackling Sesame Street Kinect Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Joke, Double Fine Tackling Sesame Street Kinect Game

Nobody could have guessed the next title to come out of the creative minds at Double Fine Productions.

Everything about this announcement might seem like a joke, but I assure you it's 100% real. Tim Schafer's Double Fine Productions and Warner Bros. are teaming up to create a brand new Sesame Street game for the Xbox 360 that uses Kinect.

Huh? Yeah. The company behind Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, and Stacking is now working on a game called Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, and I can't help but think that it's awesome.

Once Upon a Monster takes place in a living storybook where Elmo, Cookie Monster, and other Sesame Street characters hang out on the regular. Players will use Kinect to dance, jump, fly, and more as they learn about making friends, cooperation, and their own emotions.

The goal behind the game is to get families and kids to play together in a learning environment. Tim Schafer says that Sesame Street is looked upon fondly by the Double Fine team, and the studio wants to bring it to today's kids through a "cutting-edge" gaming experience. The game's content is guided by the social and emotional curriculum of the Sesame Workshop, the non-profit organization behind Sesame Street.

When it was announced that Warner had plans to develop a new line of Sesame Street videogames, nobody expected they'd be handed off to a studio like Double Fine, but I think it was an incredibly smart move. While Once Upon a Monster might not be the next Stacking, it still seems like Double Fine is doing something on the same level of uniqueness. It just happens to be doing it alongside a popular franchise this time.

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster will be released in fall 2011.

This, I am actually quite interested in.

That shit will scare me forever...

Well I can't say I'm surprised >.>

Hopeful nothing retarded will happen like censoring things for bizarre and flawed reasons. (Like the removal of all the installments of Monsterpiece theatre because Cookie Monster had a pipe)

The only reason I'm happy about this is because this will definitely make Schafer and his crew some well-deserved capital. Sesame Street will earn them some money and reputation with regular viewers to hopefully fund their next BIG thing

Good for them. This might actually result in a really good licensed game.

this could either be a massive, gimmicky kinect trash-fest or 200 different kinds of awesome. Not for me though, i only ever saw like 1 episode of sesame street.

This will either be very awesome or very dumb.

I heard about this earlier... I laughed.

Seriously though, I hope its good...

For their sake...

qbanknight:
The only reason I'm happy about this is because this will definitely make Schafer and his crew some well-deserved capital. Sesame Street will earn them some money and reputation with regular viewers to hopefully fund their next BIG thing

HELL YEAH!

I only ended Psychonauts recently and it was the first game of Tim Schafer that I actually played (I also played the demo for Brutal Legend) and it was really good and unique.

Until now the only game from them that I dont find it to be unique is Costume Quest. Even the art style is very bland.

I hope that this one still has the vibe of Double Fine's games.

EDIT:

qbanknight:

Actually, this.

Just go for the money on this one, times are harsh now and I dont want to see Double Fine closing down. (I still miss Free Radical)

This is pretty good news, if anyone can make a good game using this license it's Double Fine. Might actually create a game that parents will WANT to play with their kids.

KaosuHamoni:

For their sake...

It's for kids dude, don't go in expecting the definitive hardcore gaming experience.

SteelStallion:

KaosuHamoni:

For their sake...

It's for kids dude, don't go in expecting the definitive hardcore gaming experience.

Who said i thought that? I just hope it's good, and sells well, otherwise Double Fine is going to lose a helluva-lot of credibility.

Must... buy.. kinect...

Double Fine, ironically, I think could adapt a Sesame Street game the best. The Kinect is just the flavor that they're

The Brutal Legend guys? Well I'll be damned.

I don't think I'd really trust anyone other than Double Fine to do this. I reckon if anybody could do genuinely funny and educational, it'd be them. Course, it likely won't be my kind of funny, but whatever, it's hardly for me, is it?

... This actually makes a lot of sense and they're the right developers to tackle the property. Good on them!

Does this mean we'll get to hear Cookie Monster yell out "Double Fiiiiiine!"?

Because if so, that could quite possibly be the most awesome thing I will ever hear.

Nouw:
That shit will scare me forever...

Well I can't say I'm surprised >.>

You can't?!
It's thrown me for a fucking loop I can tell you!

Tim Schafer: Legend.

Stacking was made by Double Fine? Man, I had a sneaking suspicion when I watched some clips, another awesome concept.

This is the first Kinect game I'm interested in. I could imagine it being a blast to play with small children.

Why does this seem like a perfect fit? and CAPTCHA!?!? NOOOOO!!!!

Anyone else thinking that more adults will buy this than parents for their kids? I mean, it's Double Fine....You know it's going to kick ass.

Normally I'd be sharpening my pitchfork over games like this (seems like shovelware at first glance to be honest) but since it involves both muppets and sesame street I can't help but support it.

Well if this game needs to exist, they couldn't have picked a better studio to handle this particular licence. Double Fine already have that slightly surreal and quirky sense of humour going on, should be a good fit.

I can see this game being surprisingly good. I know that Sesame street is for kids but it still has some appeal for adults and I'm sure that Double Fine will handle it well. I guess it will depend on the gameplay though, which is not quite Double Fine's strong suit. Honestly it looks like shovelware but I want to give it a chance and hopefully at least DF will make a load of cash out of it. I have faith in Tim not to sell out though.

This is actually pretty cute for kids, My kids have been playing LittleBig Planet 2 and playstation move hereos non stop with the new move..they just can't put it down. Leaves me a little breathing room tho, wont complain.

More than anything yet released for the system, this makes me want to buy an X-box 360 and Kinect. Once the game comes out. And maybe once the price has dropped another notch.

-Nick

As a mother of a two year old who constantly takes an interest in the video games my husband and I play but can't quite grasp them, I am super excited for this. Maybe I will finally give in to my husband's pleas and get us a kinect after all. :P There really aren't a whole lot of younger kid's games out there. The Sesame Street games that were just released are plagued with reviews of the motion controls not working for love or money so I haven't picked them up.

They're gonna make me buy a Kinect, aren't they?

why wasnt i surprised??

i always thought "Schafer"s mind was... weird, and he got kids, seriously, whoever played "Psychonauts" knows this, and Sesame street has mostly the same logic

i love both things and toguether seems like it could be AWESOME

Im 25 by the way

"Hey Tim, now that we've finished Stacking, you think we should start on that Psychonauts sequel people have been asking for?"

"Pffft, sounds like a waste of time. Let's go with that Sesame Street Kinect game instead."

Believe it or not, I am immensely pleased about this.

Seriously one of the coolest news items today. Can't wait.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here