EA Boss Drops the Dime on Dead Space 3

EA Boss Drops the Dime on Dead Space 3

Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello has indirectly confirmed that the Dead Space series will get another sequel, saying he doesn't think it will become one of the publisher's big-money franchises until Dead Space 3 is released.

Dead Space was cool but wasn't a huge seller, putting up around two million units sold in roughly two years of release, a respectable number but hardly gangbusters for a triple-A title from a major publisher. Dead Space 2 is doing considerably better, approaching unit sales of two million after just one week on the shelves. But Riccitiello told an audience at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference that he doesn't think the Dead Space series will really hit the big time until the third game is out.

"Right now we've got strong, growing franchises including Madden, FIFA... Need for Speed, Medal of Honor and Battlefield - I include them as one because we're unlikely to ship them in any one year at the same time," he said. "[There's also] Mass Effect... Dragon Age... and the one that's sort of not proven that's coming later in our fiscal year, Star Wars [The Old Republic]."

"That excludes Dead Space because I think it will probably take Dead Space 3 before we get into that five million unit cadence versus say three, four," he added.

It's not exactly carved in stone but the implication is obvious: Dead Space 3 is coming. Of even greater note, however, is Riccitiello's apparent willingness to show patience with franchises that may not be a huge success out of the gate but show big potential for the future. That's an approach to making games that I think I could learn to like.

Source: CVG

Let me guess, they're gonna make another marker on Earth this time or what?

Still good news!

This was fairly inevitable. Most, if not all, successful series are being pimped out into franchises these days.

The last paragraph was a nice observation though.

Of course there was going to be a dead space 3, it was obvious. Besides, pretty much every popular game nowdays turns into a trilogy.

This is probably pretty obvious to those who have beaten the game anyways. With what happens after the credits >.<

In before EA milks the franchise and kills the dev team.

OMAIGAWDYUS! Ahem. Honestly when I saw this title I thought they might have been stating there would be no third game, but I'm happy now. :3 I just hope it doesn't become one of those games that gets over 5 in a series... that will be worse than ending it now.

Beter then Activision's strategy anyway.

'cause nothing says "scary" like seeing the same monsters for the 50 billionth time.

Not to sound kinda jerky, but anybody who played DS2 and finished it, this is no suprise whatsoever.

Stop milking dead space EA, and get onto Mirrors edge 2.

Yay more sequels. I can not wait.

I love Deadspace and all but I just hope they don't milk it dry and run it to the ground.

I like this, it should be good :)

I love the Dead Space series so I don't care if it is a sequel...

I don't think I approve of the conflation of 'successful' with 'sequelitis'. Good stories have an end.

Being surprised that a Dead Space 3 will come out is like being surprised when the sun comes up tomorrow.

Well, they have 3 games already - 1,2 and Extraction - and there are still plot holes to be filled. They really need a good story for DS3.

Roll on Dead Space 3, can't wait. Hell, if they released it tomorrow I'd be the first one there with $60 ready to go. It can't happen soon enough.

Jazoni89:
Stop milking dead space EA, and get onto Mirrors edge 2.

I would like to see dead space 3 but I would like to see a mirrors edge 2 a lot more unfortunately at the moment it looked like it's been put on hold after the beta build was rejected.

JoshGod:

The sarcasm. <3.

Sequel after sequel after sequel. No end.

Novania:
Let me guess, they're gonna make another marker on Earth this time or what?

Still good news!

Probably going to have to deal with the Black Marker that's still on Earth. At least, I think it's still on Earth. I haven't played Dead Space 2, so perhaps they moved it.

I have mixed feelings. How many times can they throw Isaac Clarke into one of these "outbreaks" before it just gets stupid and becomes a parody of itself, and people start asking "Jesus, how fucking unlucky is this guy!?"

Then again, I really like Isaac's character (they did a good job with him in Dead Space 2) and I don't want to control anyone else.

I definitely want another Dead Space though....so......

shit, I don't even know what I want them to do

Heh. Look at the sentence where he's listing all the franchises. FIFA, Need for Speed, Medal of Honor, Battlefield...

Oh, and before I forget to mention them, BIOWARE times 3. Including one of the 2011 GotYs (depending on who you ask), a slightly niche game that looks like it might explode into popularity with the changes they've made, and the BIGGEST VIDEO GAME PROJECT EVER, on the biggest IP ever - Star Wars.

If Bioware keeps this up they'll be nearly as important to EA as Blizzard is to Activision - especially if CoD tanks, which is possible. Not likely, with Treyarch picking up the ball after the IW fiasco, but...

I just hope the franchise doesn't somehow end up taking place on Earth.... that would be lame.

While it's no surprise that there will be a Dead Space 3, I hope EA has some direction with this franchise. I hope they intend to bring the story to some kind of close rather than another annual Madden or Call of Duty game.

As good as DS2 was, it didn't really take the story THAT much further than the first game...

I hope they don't reuse any characters in the third game. I actually liked all of the characters that survived the first two and extraction, so I would hate to see them have to survive an outbreak again.

Ea is being smart by cultivating its IP's, even if they aren't megea-blockbusters right off the bat.

Straying Bullet:

JoshGod:

The sarcasm. <3.

Sequel after sequel after sequel. No end.

No i'm being sincere who needs originatlity or innovation when can you play the same game with a few tweaks with a new world map.

Lord_Gremlin:
Well, they have 3 games already - 1,2 and Extraction - and there are still plot holes to be filled. They really need a good story for DS3.

4 games

you forgot Ignition

(I know it's not A game, but wherever)

So wait... Dead Space 1 ended up selling 2 million copies, but EA regard it as something of a flop. Dead Space 2 sells 2 million copies inside a week, yet EA still think it hasn't hit big enough.

What the fuck counts as a success in the videogame industry? Are we at the point where literally everything has to match the numbers of Call Of Duty or Halo to be deemed a success, and everything else is simply not good enough. What the hell happened to simply selling enough games to make a profit? If Dead Space made enough money to cover development costs and give EA a bit of profit (which I would imagine 2 million sales would cover), then surely it succeeded? What is wrong with the industry that even horror games are expected to sell stupid numbers of discs right from the off? Because no offence EA, but a game based around horror and scares is not Modern Warfare material.

When was the last time you heard about a Freddy or Jason movie breaking box office records? When did The Exorcist become a financial movie juggernaut. Horror is a niche genre, and while I applaud any horror game that sells well, expecting a game based on scares to match the numbers of other Triple A titles is just retarded.

I knew EA was still the same old EA it's always been. Lucky for them that Activision is there to draw most of the attention.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

What the fuck counts as a success in the videogame industry? Are we at the point where literally everything has to match the numbers of Call Of Duty or Halo to be deemed a success, and everything else is simply not good enough.

Sadly yes, It's the same with MMOs,"You arent mathcing WoWs subs? Ok sorry your budget is being cut" and is deemed a "fail" by community and investors alike :( Its kinda sad really. Though most are going F2P instead of doors closing now so at least there is an alternate route emerging, for MMOs at least.

Andy Chalk:
That's an approach to making games that I think I could learn to like.

Until they decide to adapt Activision's way of doing things with franchises...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here