Now You Can Drive A Car With Your Mind

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Now You Can Drive A Car With Your Mind

Science fiction takes one step closer to being science fact ...

You've gotta love the folks at AutoNOMOS Labs in Germany. In the past, the team created a system that let folks drive cars with their iPhones, but this new project is even cooler. Now, AutoNOMOS has revealed "BrainDriver", a project that lets people drive cars with their brainwaves.

The research team designed a computer system that could, with the aid of a sensor headset, be taught to read the electromagnetic signals in a person's brain. At the moment, the system is pretty basic: A person can only make the car turn left/right, accelerate, and brake. As you can see in the video, there's still a bit of lag time between a driver thinking about what they want the car to do and the car actually doing it.

At the moment, BrainDriver clearly isn't ready to go on the road, but it's certainly an amazing first step for an extremely ambitious project. Once they perfect the mind control setup, I hope AutoNOMOS decides to tackle the challenge of making cars fly.

Source: Jalopnik

Hopy shit.
I... I live in the future. The future is happening in my lifetime.

This is so awesome.

Pretty damn cool, but I don't think that would ever be a viable alternative. I wouldn't trust having people driving cars without the reliable, tactile system of physical controls.

People already have enough of a problem with trying to multitask while driving, freeing up your hands completely seems irresponsible. At least until the whole system of travel become a whole lot safer and transport is done in giant bubbles that suffer no damage if you run into stuff going 100mph.

Oh look kids *car drives over kids*

WAIT THAT WASN'T THE PLAN!
or was it.

as if cars arent deadly enough in the hands of absent minded twits already

vansau:

Science fiction takes one step closer to being science fact At the moment, the system is pretty basic: A person can only make the car turn left/right, accelerate, and break.

Emphasis mine. Should be "brake", in this context.

Also, this sounds very interesting. Keep getting reminded of how fast technology is advancing.

OhJohnNo:

vansau:

Science fiction takes one step closer to being science fact At the moment, the system is pretty basic: A person can only make the car turn left/right, accelerate, and break.

Also, this sounds very interesting. Keep getting reminded of how fast technology is advancing.

Got it, thanks man.

Can't wait to see how this technology will be incorporated for doing something that is really important: Gaming!

That is SO AWESOME!!

Monkfish Acc.:
Hopy shit.

This is so awesome.

You've been living in the future ever since a Robot killed a man when it was told to.
These exist, and have been seeing combat since 2006.

One step closer to the Matrix, just one step closer...

Fucking awesome! May not be as in a stage where it can be used commercialy...The future is here!

OhJohnNo:

vansau:

Should it? Well, you'd hope so, but...

Anyways, this sort of thing isn't new...when I was a kid they had simple brainwave sensing stuff...they could have stuck it on a car, but why would you want to? Ok, lets assume you are a quadriplegic...why not attach sensors to the muscles you can still control, like they've also been doing for years?

Anarchemitis:

Monkfish Acc.:
Hopy shit.

This is so awesome.

You've been living in the future ever since a Robot killed a man when it was told to.
These exist, and have been seeing combat since 2006.

Eh...various robotic weapons systems have been around forever. Hell, in WW2, the Allies used remote controlled flying bombs. Ok, the one that actually hit the target somehow didn't explode, but still. Radar, mechanised warfare, subs, cruise missiles, submachine guns...the future was already there back then.

I hope AutoNOMOS decides to tackle the challenge of making cars fly.

They're called planes, dude.

This is a terrible idea. Any brainwave abnormalities could end in a crash. You would only be able to drive the thing while you are wide awake and focused. If you're exhausted, hopped up on caffeine, or stupid, you won't be able to steer the damn thing.

In unrelated (honest!) news, the amount of attractive woman/shoe shops/billboards struck by cars has gone up 100%

This will be so great for handicapped people, you know like it would allow quadriplegic people to drive, or if it goes even further a more comfortable way of maneuvering they're wheelchairs, it would also be great for people that have no arms.
This is most definitely an important advance in technology!

I don't think, this is such a good idea. I can imagine now what might happen:
"Wow she's got a nice as- OH SHIT!!!"

I couldn't take this seriously once Glados' sister started narrating

I am scared because of all the potential drivers crashing into trees because they saw a sequirrel.

I want to see how a drunk person drives this car vs a normal car. I see a glimpse of my future:

Geeze granny j-walk faster I wanna go faster!

*yes sir increasing speed to 70 MPH*

What? No!

*thud*

*Sir we seem to have hit a goat*

Brakes I need brakes!

*sorry , I can't do that*

o.O

Science. DO MORE OF THIS.

this seems to bring a whole new meaning to "thinking while driving"

First they read our brainwaves, then they copy our brainwaves, and the next thing you know you're travelling back in time to knock up Sarah Conner.

I am waiting for someone to be driving one day and think to themslves *ooh look at that lovely bird...*
Car: New target position recieved.

OT: Damn does this look awesome.

The absent minded will kill us all!

That is so awesome. I want a car like that. So badly. "Look everyone! No hands!" :D

I agree with the comments about the dangers of the absent-minded, but I think there would be two obvious solutions to that -

1) You'd have to 'program' your new car to recognise your individual brain patterns for 'left' 'right' etc (since I'm assuming they're probably not totally identical for everyone), so I'm guessing you'd have to do it under supervision, so you literally couldn't make the car drive at something without delibaerately giving it the 'directions' to hit something'. As in, rather than you thinking 'Ooo, pretty' and the car driving at that thing, you'd have to thinlk 'Ok, left a bit. More left. Now accelerate' OMG! I hit something! Wait...

For those people who went 'homebrew' and made their own commands that 'let' them drive at whatever caught their fancy...then I guess the traffic legislation is going to get a whole lot more complicated =P

b) I'm assuming the cars are going to have to be equipped with all that laser sensing (etc) equipment to make up for humanity's lack of ability in multitasking. So that the car would stop if it was going to hit something I mean. Which would, I suppose, mean that you would technically be able to control the car with your mind, but it would be like driving with the world's most cautious instructor (who has their own set of pedals). I could forsee many people getting road-raged at their own car =D.

Edit: forgot to say, nevertheless: Awesome! Go Science! =D

Am I the only person who remembers that this technology was around in the days of the original xbox? They developed a game controller on these exact same principles for racing games, brainwave-controlled and all (I guess at the time it seemed simpler than the original xbox controllers).

The future is not as new as you think, people.

I wonder if eating while "driving" will mess with your concentration.

Yeah, put a drunk person behind the wheel of a car in which they have to think to get home.

Cybork-tech here we come

*Driving a long a road on the edge of a cliff*
"Oh what a nice view to the right"
*Car turns right*

rancher of monsters:
First they read our brainwaves, then they copy our brainwaves, and the next thing you know you're travelling back in time to knock up Sarah Conner.

Ain't the worst job in the world.

OT:Cool, I like seeing things that actually are cool instead of finding out shit like how often x insect mates.

Read about this yesterday.
And once again my country's at the cutting edge of science. Gotta love it.

The scientists behind this ambitious project said themselves that absent-mindedness would pretty much mean instant fatality at this stage, but I'm confident they'll find ways to iron out the kinks.
The future is here, folks. And it's awesome.

On a totally unrelated note: Fuck you, Captcha. Really? Letters from the Wingdings font?!?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here