Bethesda Rewarding Parents That Name Children "Dragonborn"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Bethesda Rewarding Parents That Name Children "Dragonborn"

Bethesda doesn't want Dragonborn to exist only in the Elder Scrolls games.

Bethesda is holding an intriguing contest for parents planning to have a child by the end of 2011. If the birth of that child coincides with the release of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and the child is named after the game's main character, Bethesda will provide the parents with a special reward.

Bethesda's Pete Hines says that now is the time to conceive if you want a chance at winning. The "unknown" reward will only go to parents of a child born on November 11, 2011 that is given the name "Dovahkiin."

"Dovahkiin" means "Dragonborn" in Skyrim's dragon alphabet, a language designed just for the game. Players of Skyrim take on the role of a Dragonborn, who can use the powers of the dragons against the massive beasts. In the real world, it might not be as cool a title.

It's sort of a joke and an unofficial contest, at least compared to the one run by Acclaim for Turok: Evolution in 2002 where it offered $10,000 to parents that named their child Turok. A disclaimer reads: "Any reward for completing this quest will not ultimately justify the potential teasing your child could - and probably will - endure over its lifespan. Bethesda Softworks is not responsible for your parenting."

Bethesda's reward is a mystery, the name in this case is a lot stranger, and the child has to be born on a specific date, so it'll probably be tough for parents to go along with the contest. When it comes to Elder Scrolls fans, you just never know.

Thanks Eleima!

Source: Bethesda Blog

Hmm. As awesome as that is, I don't think I'd ever want to have the name of my child directly associated with a marketing ploy.

Kind of takes the personal joy out of that part of becoming a parent, y'know?

Well isn't that just great. Condemning kids to years of bullying for the sake of publicity. I hate to be a killjoy, but really...?

I was seriously dissappointed in Bethesda until I read their disclaimer.

Well played.

Valkyrie101:
Well isn't that just great. Condemning kids to years of bullying for the sake of publicity.

That's what the disclaimer is for! Heh, heh!

It has to be on the day of the games release too? That's just being a cheap bastard. There was some other game, Rise of the Argonauts or something, where the developers promised parents who gave their children old greek names a lifetime supply of their games I think.

How creepy.

Actually, Dovahkiin is a pretty fucking awesome name in my opinion, so I'd be happy with it.

Booze Zombie:

Valkyrie101:
Well isn't that just great. Condemning kids to years of bullying for the sake of publicity.

That's what the disclaimer is for! Heh, heh!

Even so, if someone actually does it...

is it bad that id do it <_< also I find the name pretty awsome

Valkyrie101:
Even so, if someone actually does it...

It'll probably tell their child all they need to know about their parent, on the bright side. Also, names can be changed.

Well, I can already tell who in this thread didn't actually read the entire article...

Cuy'vul Dar:
It has to be on the day of the games release too? That's just being a cheap bastard. There was some other game, Rise of the Argonauts or something, where the developers promised parents who gave their children old greek names a lifetime supply of their games I think.

Couldn't you just name your kid Jason then?

And I think the reason for adding the stipulation that the kid has to be born on the release date was just Bethesda's way of preventing the life of humiliation that would've came if the kid could be born any day. You know at least one couple would go through with this. Though, you could just tell people your name is Dov, that's a pretty decent name...

Davahkiin isn't that bad of a name, if there lenient on spelling I wouldn't mind being Davaken

I'm hoping there will be a book translator for the text.

That would be extremely awesome.

Valkyrie101:
Well isn't that just great. Condemning kids to years of bullying for the sake of publicity. I hate to be a killjoy, but really...?

Really? 'cause if I was called Dovahkiin and someone tried to bully me I would stomp them into the ground and let out a mighty warcry.

Hell, I'd do it.

Easy loophole solution.
Give the child the name as a middle name (it should still count) and have a Caesarean section on the 11th

the only problem is that you might have to get a person pregnant just to win this contest.

do you have to register or sign a contract with them before hand I mean it would suck to get born with that name and lose the prize because there were other kids who got sold out for loots.

Those have to be some really lame parents if they would name their kid "Dragonborn". I know that nerds are much more in charge of culture than they used to be, but really. Parents naming their kids something stupid like "Dragonborn" or "Moon Unit" honestly have no regard to the life that they helped create. It's better to give them a normal name that they might hate instead of a lame name that they will hate.

IMO.

That sounds cruel to me. By the way how is the name pronounced?
The reward better be alot of money so the kid can go to a private school or something.

Yeah I am sure that someone will name thier child that for a stupid prize *rolls eyes* I thought you were better than this bethesda.

Would prbably fit if they live in eastern Europe. correct me if im wrong. And cant the parents legally change the name of the baby?

i hope they plan to re name there kids

Valkyrie101:

TGBA:
I certainly hope that the reward is worth the endless teasing and probable psychological damage of your child...

... Because... he/she has a weird name? Maybe that's a big deal where you come from, but in that case I don't think the name is the real problem here.

Eumersian:
Those have to be some really lame parents if they would name their kid "Dragonborn". I know that nerds are much more in charge of culture than they used to be, but really. Parents naming their kids something stupid like "Dragonborn" or "Moon Unit" honestly have no regard to the life that they helped create. It's better to give them a normal name that they might hate instead of a lame name that they will hate.

IMO.

They're asking you to name the kid Dovahkiin, not Dragonborn.

Nothing stopping the parents renaming the child after the contest.

Atmos Duality:
Hmm. As awesome as that is, I don't think I'd ever want to have the name of my child directly associated with a marketing ploy.

Kind of takes the personal joy out of that part of becoming a parent, y'know?

This. It's quite degrading, when you think about it.

Considering some of the names that crop up in The Elder Scrolls lore, "Dovahkiin" isn't too bad...

In the spirit of ruining the lives of unborn children, I will double, no quadruple Bethesda's prize and offer 4 "unknown" rewards for any Oblivion fan who conceives a child and names them "Tom Titty".

I wish my name was Dovahkiin. People could just call me Kiin for short. It would be awesome.

That is a freakin' awesome name, so it wouldn't be that bad to have it. And what if having the name gives you the powers of the Dragonborn? I mean, it's not like anyone has ever named their child Dovankiin.

Easy solution. Name the kid "Dragonborn", get your prize, then change it back. Problem, Bethesda?

And then the game turns out to be utter shite, and the parents regret the decision even more.

11/11/11

Very classy, I'd love to have that birth date.

I'm thinking the reward is a form to give your child a proper fucking name.

DracheX:
Would prbably fit if they live in eastern Europe. correct me if im wrong. And cant the parents legally change the name of the baby?

Yeah it sounds russian to me... (Has no experience with russians or their language).

ANImaniac89:
Easy loophole solution.
Give the child the name as a middle name (it should still count) and have a Caesarean section on the 11th

the only problem is that you might have to get a person pregnant just to win this contest.

Gstaff says no middle names.

Congratulations! You have just thrown away all of your child's hope of having friends and a normal life! Well done! For this, your reward is...
AN IN GAME HAT!!! WEAR IT WITH PRIDE!!!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or