SFX Filmmaker Depicts Real Life Mario Kart Battle

SFX Filmmaker Depicts Real Life Mario Kart Battle

Driving around a go-kart dressed as Mario is one thing, but when powerups are involved it's a whole different story.

Freddie Wong has made some pretty amazing short films using visual effects in the past, but his latest doesn't involve guns. Forget the other real life Mario Kart video, this is what Mario Kart would actually be like in the real world, powerups and all.

I just wish the race could have been run on a fancier course, like Rainbow Road or in Bowser's Castle. Wong definitely has a great sense of humor, slapping his own head onto Lakitu, the overseer of all Mario Karting, in a very creepy but appropriate way.

The extent to which filmmakers like Wong can express videogame situations in real life never ceases to amaze me. The little things, like the drivers smashing through "?" blocks and then pushing the pieces around the track, and the realistic-looking red shells, are very well done. Wong had some SFX help from Corridor Digital, known for a live-action Minecraft short and other productions.

So, yeah, while Mario Kart looks like it'd be fun, I don't envy Toad, Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, and the other Super Mario Bros. characters forced to take part in these races after seeing these powerups in real life. I really don't want to get hit by one of those shells.

I like how Remi doesn't get an article for doing this twice... ages ago, but this guy does. Christ Remi stormed beaches throwing smoke grenades at people.

that is awesome.

HEY! Its one of Freedie's vids.

Not as good as Rémi Gaillard's daring endeavour in Mario Kart :

Mario Kart 1:

Mario Kart 2:

that required balls...

but still, Freddiew videos are greatly made, maybe this one doesn't stand to the quality of his other works.

Anyone notice that one of those links at the end is to the Minecraft: The Last Minecart video?

I did! So awesome... That even more so than this!

Orcus_35:

that required balls...

Which is Ok because Remi Gaillard has balls of steel and lawyers of unbelievable talent.

That is so awesome.

If only real-life gokart would be like that...

cocoadog:
I like how Remi doesn't get an article for doing this twice... ages ago, but this guy does. Christ Remi stormed beaches throwing smoke grenades at people.

Actually, they did link to Remi in the article. And although Remi is truly hilarious, this video is more "how Mario Kart would happen if it was turned into a movie" rather than, how ridiculous Mario Kart looks if you actually try to emulate Mario Kart in real life.

Freddie Wong is the BEST! This video is way better than Remis IMHO.

I subscribe to Wong on youtube. He makes the best in SFX videos.

Really I don't see how Remis is better, I mean Freddie put a lot of work into his movie. Remi just made the whole thing look ridiculous.

Andrew_Mac:
that is awesome.

yeah what he said

cocoadog:

He did get articles. :/

Orcus_35:
Not as good as Rémi Gaillard's daring endeavour in Mario Kart :

Mario Kart 1:

Mario Kart 2:

that required balls...

but still, Freddiew videos are greatly made, maybe this one doesn't stand to the quality of his other works.

Those are so much better in every way.

cocoadog:

Agreed, Remi Gaillard is the best ballsy prankster out there. Pac man?

FreddieW is awesome, had great amount of lulz of seeing this and behind the scenes as well.

I don't get how that video got over 800 dislikes on youtube. I mean, I know youtube is full of idiots, but 800+dislikes? Really?

Jeeze... every single one of this guy's videos have better special effects than most Hollywood films. It's really impressive.

Freddiview! Awesome!

cocoadog:

He had articles both times, there was even a link in this very article. Remi is a prick anyway.

He and Remi should get together and do a feature film.
This I command!

cocoadog:

First off, Remi did get an article, it was only about 2 weeks ago in fact.

Secondly, he threw fucking smoke grenades at people? How did I not see that!? VIDEO LINK NAOW!

awww no blue shell?
but still pretty awesome props to him and remi those two were both enertaining

cocoadog:

Except that.... Remi DID get an article a couple weeks ago....

Was anyone else kind of freaked out by the flying asian?

Cool, according to the other videos on the last screen, that guy who did the minecraft live action vid helped out with the VFX.

The special effects just blow me away. It's perfectly well blended in with Real Life and I give much Props to Freddie Wong for his outstanding videos. He is brilliant in my opinion and I seriously can't wait to see more of his work. Also thanks for the Thread! Never would of gotten to see this awesome video without the Forum being made!

corridor digital is what turned me to Freddiew strange how backwards that is XD

best sfx dude on youtube!

Flying asian dude ftw. Cool sfx, great video!

kingcold32:

Umm....That was FreddieW dude.

Digikid:

kingcold32:

Umm....That was FreddieW dude.

I know, was still freaked out by it for some reason, no clue why though.

I love Freddie's videos. They're half the reason I go to Youtube, to be honest. Nice to see some love for Freddie on the Escapist.

He always does some amazing special effects. How does he always manage to put these kinds of videos out weekly?

Hurray for Freddie W! It's nice to see some of his stuff on The Escapist.

Wow six quotes. I have changed my mind. Quit making articles about Mario Kart!

danpascooch:

cocoadog:

First off, Remi did get an article, it was only about 2 weeks ago in fact.

Secondly, he threw fucking smoke grenades at people? How did I not see that!? VIDEO LINK NAOW!

Youtube saving private remi, and yeah I find it hard to remember every article that's posted on here. I just figured we wouldn't need articles about such similar topics in such a short span.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here