Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

It would seem that the first order of business for the newly loud-and-proud PC Gaming Alliance is to announce that Microsoft and Nvidia have quit the PC Gaming Alliance.

Newly-installed PC Gaming Alliance President Matt Ployhar said last week that one of his priorities is to give the group a higher profile with gamers, promising to make it "a lot more public and vocal and vociferous" than it has been so far. But he probably didn't expect that his first such public pronouncement would be to reveal that Microsoft and Nvidia, two of the biggest players in the industry, are no longer in the club.

Ployhar confirmed with Big Download that the two companies had left the group, although he declined to comment on what motivated their decision to leave. He did say, however, that he doesn't think their departure will affect the PCGA, although it would seem to deal a bit of a blow to his plan, detailed on his Intel blog, "to flesh out the PCGA's technical expertise while simultaneously addressing perceived gaps in membership."

Microsoft and Nvidia aren't the first heavy-hitters to bail out on the PCGA; Activision pulled out out of the alliance in April 2009. Its member roll is still impressive, including companies like Intel, GameStop, Epic Games, the Entertainment Merchants Association and Sony DADC, but without those three on the list it's hard to imagine that the group's relevance won't become increasingly questionable.

UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson says the company's decision to leave the PC Gaming Alliance is not an indictment of the group but rather a sign of the PC's strength as a gaming platform.

"At the time we joined the PC Gaming Alliance, the primary purpose was to change the false perception that PC gaming was dying. With that perception successfully changed, we have decided to not continue our membership and instead focus that energy on our own internal efforts, including the return of our flagship PC franchises Age of Empires and Microsoft Flight," the rep said. "We made this decision so that we could put more time and energy into our own PC gaming efforts. And we will continue to work with our partners to drive the continued growth of Windows as a game platform."

So there you have it. All is well!

How the hell does Nvidia bail on the PCGA when they're the biggest manufacturer of desktop graphics cards? I guess the PCGA isn't very representative of PC gaming as a whole, eh?

It's official: PCGA has gone the way of the League of Nations.

Update response: Oh goody, I feel so much better now.

I guess it makes sense for Microsoft to leave, since they only really care about their Xboxes for gaming.

Why do I get the feeling this probably has something to do with the PCGA wanting to triple membership dues so they can pay for all that "fleshing out" of "technical expertise"?

Microsoft loudly announcing thier support for the PC platform yet again :P

... then again this alliance has been pretty weak, gaming on the PC is in decline in many ways and yet these guys havent tried anything... least not to my knowledge.
Like most of these high moral value, but do nothing , hand wringer charities... many words , little action.

It doesn't surprise me. These guys were a joke before they were official anyways.

Well nVidia is no biggie... as long as ATI is in there/hasnt left... but yeah,

HankMan:

What next? The United PC gamers that is *Slightly* more successful?

No Mass Effect 3 for PC I reckon?

Why is this the first time I have heard of the PCGA.

Rational would be very interesting but I suspect

TheBluesader:
Why do I get the feeling this probably has something to do with the PCGA wanting to triple membership dues so they can pay for all that "fleshing out" of "technical expertise"?

Kinda hit the nail on the head.

has the pcga even done anything aside from announce people joining it or leaving from it?

raxiv:

The horror if this became a fact...

5t3v0:

HankMan:

Well someone has to keep South Korea propped up. =/

Xzi:
How the hell does Nvidia bail on the PCGA when they're the biggest manufacturer of desktop graphics cards? I guess the PCGA isn't very representative of PC gaming as a whole, eh?

Likely not, especially given that all I have ever seen them do is basically talk about how awesome anti-pirating measures that invade your computer, potentially compromise your personal information and bog down your computer by eating system resources can be.

Meh. I guess I just don't feel the love.

MS have left something to do with PC gaming?! And right when Fable 3 is about to be relea-

Oh, yeah.

Seriously though, this group seems pointless. If anything, I'd rather just get along with the likes of Valve, BioWare, and CD Projekt speaking for us.

raxiv:

Huh?

Losing Microsoft is no big deal. Ignoring the loss of Nvidia, Microsoft leaving might've just been an indication of the positive, seeing as their goals seem to be in sabotaging the PC gaming market in favour of their games console.

My roommate: "Did they go join the PC Gaming Horde?"

Once again, the PCGA is completely useless

They got owned badly for this. I still want to know why they left the group.

"but without those three on the list it's hard to imagine that the group's relevance won't become increasingly questionable"

Really?. Is it remotely possible that the PCGA can be even LESS relevant?. I don't think so.

At least Microsoft stopped pretending. They've been doing all they can to kill the PC for years, and now they're trying to get back on PC Gamer's good graces by butchering Age of Empires. Not a good start.

Way to commit to PC gaming Microsoft. Then again it may be a good thing. MS seems to want to completely cripple PC gaming with GFWL, so perhaps them leaving is a sign of less GFWL.

Oh who am I kidding...

raxiv:

The hell you talking about? EA is publishing ME3, and they'd want it on as many platforms as possible to maximize profits.

they get more money on consoles since they're unmoddable, for now.

Jumwa:
Losing Microsoft is no big deal. Ignoring the loss of Nvidia, Microsoft leaving might've just been an indication of the positive, seeing as their goals seem to be in sabotaging the PC gaming market in favour of their games console.

Hardly. PC gaming is one of the pillars of their Windows empire.
The average consumer who doesn't game on his PC can can get by with old windows 2000 or xp and a 10 year old CPU. That will run their webbrowser and wordprocessing needs fine. Gaming is the most demanding application.
Cut out a big portion of the early adopters and the rest will be much slower to catch up. It would hurt the entire industry. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, the lot.

M$ wants both PC and xbox gaming. Their best move was making a directx console, very similar to a PC, making porting games between the 360 and the PC so much easier.

raxiv:

I would rage so unspeakably hard.

5t3v0:

HankMan:

United PC's:"We hereby set forth sanctions against consoles! No developer that makes games for the PC shall make games for the Console!"

Developers:"..........no............."

UPC:"Pwetty plox?"

Devs:"........no............"

UPC:"Dev X is a rogue developer, no company shall sell them program licenses!"

Program Dev:"FYIAD!"

and the rest of the gaming world wouldn't care.

OT: I really don't see how the PC Gaming Alliance is supposed to be effective at anything.

I mean, "promoting mouse and keyboard in a console centered medium" or whatever, just sound like a more technical way of saying "Computer Fanboys".

All nVidia seems to do these days is produce faulty hardware, and does Microsoft even make games anymore? Doesn't seem like that big of a loss.

Never heard of PCGA.

You know, looking at them, I don't think there's a lot that they really did all that well anyway. The only possibility is getting a forum for the businesses to talk to each other, but that's not really necessary. If they want to talk, they'll manage a way to get the message across.

Xzi:

Because the PCGA is complete and utter bullshit, and little more than marketing. Microsoft and nVidia are not pulling out of PC gaming, they are pulling out of the Bullshit alliance that has done exactly jack and shit since its inception.

If I may...

Seriously, I'll concur with HankMan in saying that with this, the PCGA is pretty much done.

raxiv:

Talk about jumping to conclusions, especially considering EA isn't in the PCGA.

Microsoft makes perfect sense leaving the PC gaming alliance. Their Games for Windows Live failed miserably adding more software bogging down users experience in the hopes for more profit. Also Microsoft has their own gaming console that they control 100% that nets them a lot more control and profit than what they could get from trying to step into controlling PC gaming within the games themselves. Ever try to play Dawn of War 2 with GFWL? Poor service and poor connection and a waste of ports creating more lag that most people couldn't handle.

Nvidia sorta makes sense but still and oddity. I understand that they are trying to make "console PCs" to give them more control but if they still rely on PC games it makes me wonder why they would quit when it was a good networking opportunity with other PC companies like Valve or Intel.

Activision leaving also made sense because they don't want to be pressured by their peers to make their own business decisions. What would be the point of being the 500 pound gorilla when you don't get to use your power and be controlled by smaller companies? Activision often sets the highest prices for DLC with from what I understand to normally offer the least amount of content.

Gamers should make up the gaming alliance and draft up a bill of rights.

Things like;

fair pricing for good games, and by fair i mean that pc games should not cost as much as console games. why? because console games can be rented and resold. the idea that a limited use software as 90% of all pc software is now to the point that publishers insist we do not even own the software we buy we just lease the right to use it, then our software holds 0 resale value, because of drm.

All games should be supported equally across all platforms. Exclusive DLC should go the way of the dodo, i am fine with DLC that is first for one console or another but all DLC should be eventually released for all plaforms including pc.

DLC should be actual DLC, not stripped out or locked out game content you charge for people to unlock, EA i a staring directly at you. Nevermnd the extreme joke of you telling pc users no "DLC" in your dead space 2 when people have already hacked all the DLC into the game.

DLC must require an actual download and show some effort put into the making of that DLC.

Ports should show the same quality and care across all platforms and bugs must be addressed in a timely manner.

Listen to your communities, might be alot to sort through but in all that clutter the communities are usually right in one way or another. GIve and take between developers and publishers and the communities that gather around them should be first and formost in every companies mind not just over at valve.

More games need SDKs on pc side, pc communities have a wide range of dedicated people that spend a ton of time making new content that expands the life of games and sell more games in the long run. Give those people the tools to do that and support them in their efforts as best as you can, stop stifling mods and mod creation.

Stop selling us a bunch of fail as the next big thing. I am talking about dx10 and dx10.5 a colossal load of pr and hype that amounted to jack squat. Nevermind the gall of microsoft and nvidia and ATI to come out with cards that had to be bought for the next update in dx10. Where is all our money back from that failboat?

If we got a fraction of the pc gamer userbase together the amount of pull we have could be enormous, in what we drop in hardware and software each and every year. Why do we need a bunch of corporate people and industry insiders claiming to speak for us?

cerebus23:
Gamers should make up the gaming alliance and draft up a bill of rights.

Things like;

fair pricing for good games, and by fair i mean that pc games should not cost as much as console games. why? because console games can be rented and resold. the idea that a limited use software as 90% of all pc software is now to the point that publishers insist we do not even own the software we buy we just lease the right to use it, then our software holds 0 resale value, because of drm.

All games should be supported equally across all platforms. Exclusive DLC should go the way of the dodo, i am fine with DLC that is first for one console or another but all DLC should be eventually released for all plaforms including pc.

DLC should be actual DLC, not stripped out or locked out game content you charge for people to unlock, EA i a staring directly at you. Nevermnd the extreme joke of you telling pc users no "DLC" in your dead space 2 when people have already hacked all the DLC into the game.

DLC must require an actual download and show some effort put into the making of that DLC.

Ports should show the same quality and care across all platforms and bugs must be addressed in a timely manner.

Listen to your communities, might be alot to sort through but in all that clutter the communities are usually right in one way or another. GIve and take between developers and publishers and the communities that gather around them should be first and formost in every companies mind not just over at valve.

More games need SDKs on pc side, pc communities have a wide range of dedicated people that spend a ton of time making new content that expands the life of games and sell more games in the long run. Give those people the tools to do that and support them in their efforts as best as you can, stop stifling mods and mod creation.

Stop selling us a bunch of fail as the next big thing. I am talking about dx10 and dx10.5 a colossal load of pr and hype that amounted to jack squat. Nevermind the gall of microsoft and nvidia and ATI to come out with cards that had to be bought for the next update in dx10. Where is all our money back from that failboat?

If we got a fraction of the pc gamer userbase together the amount of pull we have could be enormous, in what we drop in hardware and software each and every year. Why do we need a bunch of corporate people and industry insiders claiming to speak for us?

Ah, pc gaming heaven, yeah? That would be the day, sure enough

I dunno, this seems like a strange move from MS.

If they want to go their own way and make a MS Steam then it may make some sense, but without games, there's little reason to run Windows. We've switched to Linux on 3/4 PCs just because it's so fast and requires so little power and i've helped various friends and relatives make the switch as they've lost CDs/ license stickers/ faith in Windows.

Why else run Windows if not for games? If you have the cash, go Apple. If you don't, run Linux. I know naff all about computers and frankly find Ubuntu easier to use than windows, mainly because of its own 'app' store; the software centre, which does just everything for you.

I'll stick with the PS3 for boo, boom games. I still have vista on one partition of one computer for one reason only; games.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here