Valve Has Unreleased Submarine Game Floating Around

Gabe Newell has revealed that one of Valve's earliest projects was a submarine game, and it might still come out someday.

On a recent episode of the SteamCast, a podcast dedicated to Valve, Gabe Newell was present to talk about the company's earliest projects. Contrary to what you may have thought, after Valve was founded the studio didn't sit right down and start making Half-Life.

One game Valve envisioned before Half-Life was called Prospero, which was said to be a Myst-inspired action-adventure game where the player used psionic powers. Unbeknownst to many, Valve also worked on a game even before Prospero, and it involved a submarine.

"Even further back than Prospero, the other game that Mike [Harrington] and I were talking about before we'd even had anybody other than us working on it was a submarine game," Newell said. "Mike was absolutely certain there was an opportunity to create fantastic underwater visuals and gameplay, so if people want to know the even furtherest back thing we have haven't gotten around to shipping yet it would have to be the unnamed submarine game."

Newell didn't offer any other details, but added that Valve never really cancels projects, it only shelves them for a potential revisit in the future. "It's just a question how long until we get around to doing it," he said of both Prospero and the submarine game. I wonder if that also applies to Valve's cancelled fairy RPG.

There have been some great submarine simulations released over the years, but nothing that's hit the mainstream like Valve's titles tend to. Valve has the sort of reputation where gamers will dive in to anything it releases, so even though it sounds like a major departure for the studio, if Valve wants to release a submarine game let's see what it can do.

Source: SteamCast, via CVG

I would LOVE a submarine sim game. Particularly one by Valve. Perhaps a Bioshock-esque visual style?

Tom Goldman:
... but added that Valve never really cancels projects, it only shelves them for a potential revisit in the future. ...

I think we have the answer to the EP3 Question... >.>

Finish Episode 3 first.

although a submarine game could be really fun in multilayer if done right.

Seems pretty cool, but yeah as stated before, episode 3 first please.

OH and I saw that sneaky pun in the title!

If they release this game before Half Life 3 or Episode 3 I will laugh my arse off.

Stop shooting pokemon and get back to making games Gabe!

Tom Goldman:

I've got a sinking feeling this will come out before Episode 3.

Ha, episode 3? Duke Nukem Forever will come out before that!! Wait, what?

OT: Submarine game could be interesting. It doesn't even have to be a simulator. The sea is mysterious, like BioShock proved.

I still remember having loads of fun with Silent Hunter back in the '90s and would be very interested to see Valve's take on a genre that hasn't gotten much love recently.

If they ever do release it, I wonder what kind of hat it will unlock for TF2.

HankMan:

Tom Goldman:

Let's hope they don't submerge episode 3...

icyneesan:

HankMan:

Tom Goldman:

Yeah lets hope episode 3 isnt all watery! and, wet?

I really messed that up didn't I?

People, people...

Episode 3 will be the submarine game.

Gordon is tired of those motherf*cking headcrabs on the motherf*cking sub!

thenumberthirteen:
I would LOVE a submarine sim game. Particularly one by Valve. Perhaps a Bioshock-esque visual style?

Well there is that Silent Hunter series, they made 5 games already.
Not by Valve, but those games are freakishly accurate.

imnotparanoid:

icyneesan:

HankMan:

Why would you do this to the rest of us??!! You should all be ashamed of yourself.

Appropriate. Because at the bottom of the ocean is where the first finished copy of HL3 is.

sravankb:

imnotparanoid:

icyneesan:

Why would you do this to the rest of us??!! You should all be ashamed of yourself.

Shall I g into the cuboard of failures :(

sravankb:

imnotparanoid:

icyneesan:

I agree, that post should have had greater depth to it.

I think they're just reminiscing. They are too bloated now (no offence to Gabe) to be able to take such creative risks. "Adventurous" game development is, in my opinion, similar to teenage love. It dies away and is replaced by something more practical, maybe even cynical. Blizzard used to be a teenager once too, then they made Starcraft and Diablo and never stopped milking. Valve is the same in many ways. It takes a very special kind of artistic flair to have a billion dollars in the bank and not have your brain rot away, but to be able to say "you know what, fuck it, we're gonna work on a submarine game and an action RPG about fairies and do our best to make them work". Tim Schafer has it, some weird Japanese guys have it... Gabe doesn't have it.

Mr.K.:

thenumberthirteen:

Well there is that Silent Hunter series, they made 5 games already.
Not by Valve, but those games are freakishly accurate.

I've seen them, but I don't know if they're any good. Also I think Valve would put a good spin on the concept.

Tom Goldman:
There have been some great submarine simulations released over the years, but nothing that's hit the mainstream like Valve's titles tend to.

I am sorry, but as much as I love Valve as a developer, I would hesitate to call their games "mainstream". Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see a submarine sim from them, especially since it isn't exactly a saturated market nowadays.

What is up with these submarine games nowadays? First it was Nintendo with Steel Diver and now Valve with their own submarine game...

What I want to know is if Episode 3 might still come out someday. I couldn't care less about some random submarine game.

Merge it with the fairy game.

sravankb:

imnotparanoid:

icyneesan:

You have the best avatar for this situation :P

Oh please, just get us Episode 3. Submarine games just sound so boring. I understand a lot of people would hate on me for saying that and I do not represent the world just represent myself. But come on.

JediMB:
People, people...

Episode 3 will be the submarine game.

Gordon is tired of those motherf*cking headcrabs on the motherf*cking sub!

Hmmm...

Maybe Gordon would never take the Mi-8 to Aperture's Borealis since it isn't exactly stealthy and can be shot down? Perhaps to make an unannounced appearance they would be using a submarine? Maybe that would act as the long vehicle section that tend to make repeated appearances in HL2?

You might have something there...

Submarine game that would hit mainstream ?

Try remaking this Valve:

As long as there's underwater MONSTERS, then I'm in.

Hmm, isn't there a little nagging thought in the back of your head, Gabe? A small splinter of a notion you can't quite realize, yet you know it's there. An idea that you're unable to fully manifest at this time, but continues to grow perhaps? You have a doubt, an uncertainty that makes you restless. Sometimes it keeps you up at night; a stirring anxiety coursing though your subconscious, swimming through your brain, you can't quite put your finger on it yet lies there, lurking like a vicious predator stalking its prey, ready to strike at a moments notice. This thought, Gabe, this idea, this lingering doubt, that troubles you so, may very well be that maybe, just maybe, THERE'S ANOTHER FUCKING GAME YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ON RIGHT NOW!!!

*ahem*

I just hope that this doesn't mean that Episode 3 has been... torpedoed.
Oh yeah! Still got it baby! *cough, cough okay, I'm done*

Ok I lived on a US navy sub for three years. Underwater visuals?

There are no windows...ya got sonar a pip, sound of what kinda propeller they got and no sights to see unless ya use the periscope.

I'd like to see it, but would wonder what I could -see- and keep it a realistic sim.

Gordon_4:

sravankb:

imnotparanoid:

I agree, that post should have had greater depth to it.

I'm sorry, but I think everyone but the captain had abandoned ship on that project.

Seriously though, according to my reporter friend, he spoke to a VALVe employee who says Episode 3 will now just be HL3, and they're building a new engine from the ground up for it.

And Prospero, which was the first project VALVe worked on wasn't really shelved but partially merged into the Half-Life series.

Woo! That would be AWESOME!

I totally grew up on Silent Service. I used to play it with my dad. I awear I was the only 3 year old who knew the names and classes of a bunch of submarines and battleships and could give advice on how to use the deck gun to perfectly finish off a damaged ship...

I *have* to find this game again...

But yeah, if Valve came out with a submarine game (and a *real* sub warfare sim, mind, not some scifi horror thing that *happens* to take place in a submarine), I will be all over it.

*slumps* If they release it on a console, that is... *looks dejectedly at dinosaur PC...then cheers up because it's still good enough to play Silent Service =)*

icyneesan:

HankMan:

Tom Goldman:

They're just adding depth to the game.

How ironic, my captcha said: USSR, aquar

Onyx Oblivion:
Merge it with the fairy game.

We have a winner.

Do it, do it now Valve. I dare you.

I would love to see a submarine sim get made. I would totally get it on day one.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here