Bethesda Ups Ante in Elder Scrolls Baby Naming Contest

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bethesda Ups Ante in Elder Scrolls Baby Naming Contest

Bethesda has come up with a serious prize for fans that want to name their children after Skyrim's main character.

What once seemed like a joke is now a very real contest where Bethesda wants fans to name their newborn babies after the main character from Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. At first, Bethesda was keeping the reward a secret, but now it's specified one very incredible prize.

An update to the Bethesda blog reveals that if anyone is crazy/serious enough to name a child "Dovahkiin," which means "Dragonborn" in Skyrim's dragon alphabet, and that child is born on November 11, 2011 (Skyrim's release date), the family will receive a Steam key that unlocks every ZeniMax/Bethesda game ever. That means past, present, and future.

Now that's a reward. I don't even think young Dovahkiin would argue with the merits of taking on the name when you gain access to such a huge library of games. The ZeniMax banner includes Bethesda, but also other studios such as id Software and Arkane Studios. That means a winner would get every title in id's lineup like Doom 3 and Rage, in addition to future Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles.

The blog also says that there's even more surprise "loot" to be awarded if the task is pulled off. God, I want someone to do this so badly, but lightning really has to strike for Elder Scrolls obsessed parents to have a child on such a specific date.

Source: Bethesda Blog

So, does this mean that girl gamers are going to get even more offers for gratuitous sex on the internet for the next few months?

"Max?"
"Here."
"Abby?"
"Here."
"DOVAHKIIN?"

At least we know who's going to dominate the playground.

I srsly hope someone does this. :3

Holy crap, that is insane.

So... who wants to make a baby with me!

"So, honey, have you considered all the benefits of having a c-section?"

Shit, I need a kid.

Seriously though, couldn't a parent just do this, and then change the baby's name once they have the prize?

Erana:
So, does this mean that girl gamers are going to get even more offers for gratuitous sex on the internet for the next few months?

Well, assuming the average pregnancy of 9 months...Not really.

November is the 11th month. February is the 2nd month. 11 - 2 = 9

The EXTRA gratuitous sex offers should be ending shortly.

We could start getting into labor induction, I suppose.

Angnor:
"So, honey, have you considered all the benefits of having a c-section?"

Yeah I was just thinking that... hopefully this doesn't cause premature births or something crazy! D:

WrongSprite:
Shit, I need a kid.

Seriously though, couldn't a parent just do this, and then change the baby's name once they have the prize?

Nuh-uh, Bethesda knows where you live and will send am elite team of assassins after you. Or mudcrabs. Probably mudcrabs.

Why do I get the felling if the child were to find out they named it after a game's character hoping to win free games the kid will start hating them?

Ren3004:

WrongSprite:
Shit, I need a kid.

Nuh-uh, Bethesda knows where you live and will send am elite team of assassins after you. Or mudcrabs. Probably mudcrabs.

The Morag Tong, if they want it done legally..

Now that I think about it, this could be an insidiously clever Long Term marketing plan: get hardcore gamers to reproduce, their offspring are likely to become gamers, who will then buy more Bethesda products...
Social engineering to create more gamers! I can get behind that. =)

Onyx Oblivion:

Erana:

Assuming that it's exactly nine months, we're already passed by a week or so.

OT: Not much of a contest really. you have to like someone.be desperate enough to be impregnated/impregnate someone. You can't have a miscarriage, you have to put your life on hold (depending on financial stability), and you have to FUCKING HOPE the baby isn't born early or late. THEN you name the baby.

Shouldn't a contest be open to a wide selection of people? I don't like these contests where not everyone can enter (Seriously, no pun intended). The confines are just too strict. Naming your baby "Dragon born" is one thing. Making them have that baby on a very specific date is just fucked

Onyx Oblivion:

Erana:

You overestimate the knowledge of idiots on the internet.

Erana:

Onyx Oblivion:

Erana:

You overestimate the knowledge of idiots on the internet.

You're right. They still think babies involve a stork, don't they?

Pity the steam versions are horrifically difficult to mod and thus not WORTH this kind of investment.

Disclaimer: Any reward for completing this quest will not ultimately justify the potential teasing your child could - and probably will - endure over its lifespan. Bethesda Softworks is not responsible for your parenting. You may gain experience points for completing this quest, but you will not care at 3am on a work night. Completion of this quest may also result in decreased desire to play video games and/or function as a human being. Consult with your friends before embarking on this quest; while it may not start in prison, it probably ends there.

This is by ar the most important piece of information in the blog. Dear god people, read it.

So... like a few hundred dollars worth of games, tops? Really doesn't seem like that amazing of a prize to me.

Well. You could always one-up them and use Mad Science to create an actual dragon.

"but lightning really has to strike for Elder Scrolls obsessed parents to have a child on such a specific date."
You can safely induce labor with chemicals at least 2 weeks before expected full term delivery.
All that would take is some intense pleading and a bribe I'd wager.

Dovahkiin isnt a bad name! its WAAY better then stuff like Hope, Snow,Rain and @ (yes somebody tried to name their kid "@" wich I why I thought about naming my first born "Waffle iron") also I wonder if the contest also works if you where to change your own name, I dont mind being named Dovahkiin!
Also its easy to cheat, simpyl re-name the kid after recieving the price

wherever he's name, an orchestra is born...

Atmos Duality:
Well. You could always one-up them and use Mad Science to create an actual dragon.

Tried that sadly, it doesn't work too much. Unstable. Turned into a ferret after about 3 months alive...

Cute little Bastard though

henritje:
Dovahkiin isnt a bad name! its WAAY better then stuff like Hope, Snow,Rain and @ (yes somebody tried to name their kid "@" wich I why I thought about naming my first born "Waffle iron") also I wonder if the contest also works if you where to change your own name, I dont mind being named Dovahkiin!
Also its easy to cheat, simpyl re-name the kid after recieving the price

Kenjitsuka:
"but lightning really has to strike for Elder Scrolls obsessed parents to have a child on such a specific date."
You can safely induce labor with chemicals at least 2 weeks before expected full term delivery.
All that would take is some intense pleading and a bribe I'd wager.

My point exactly, the confines are simply too damned tight to deal with. it's such a closed contest, it's hardly worth it

Theres an incredibly simple way to do this.
Step one: Have baby on specified day
Step two: Assign rediculous name on birth certification
Step three: collect prizes
Step four: redeem prizes
Step five: Legal name change for child to a normal one.
Step six: enjoy your future of free games.

I imagine thats what bethesda have considered people doing. Especially considering them trying to use this to essentially contract you into them owning your childs name (IE illegal under slavery and human rights laws) theres nothing they can do to stop you.

Celtic_Kerr:

Atmos Duality:

Tried that sadly, it doesn't work too much. Unstable. Turned into a ferret after about 3 months alive...

You need some 1950s Radiation or water from the Fountain of McGuffin.
Sadly, my fountain is broken right now and the plumber isn't going to be around until the union lets him take the job (my mad science lab isn't Union-affiliated, see).

Is it me or this has just crossed the boundary to illegal? I know they're trying to cut the numbers of possible winners, but this is close to near impossible. In one hand, less kids having to live with their parents erm... overt stupidity, in the other I don't trust people to be smart enough not to risk forcing labor just to meet the date. :s

I'm shocked that nobodies pointed out that by having a kid you will no longer have the time or the money to play games, unless your pretty wealthy to start with, and if you are that wealthy why bother?

Also will they give you the game copy of your choice? (eg collectors ultra deluxe edition with cookies on top thats hand delivered by Morgan Freeman.)

Atmos Duality:

Celtic_Kerr:

Atmos Duality:

You need some 1950s Radiation or water from the Fountain of McGuffin.
Sadly, my fountain is broken right now and the plumber isn't going to be around until the union lets him take the job (my mad science lab isn't Union-affiliated, see).

Damnit! I knew that 1960s radiation salesman looked fishy!!

The name sounds like its russian or polish, so in those countries it would not be so bad to have that name i guess..

Metzeten:
Theres an incredibly simple way to do this.
Step one: Have baby on specified day
Step two: Assign rediculous name on birth certification
Step three: collect prizes
Step four: redeem prizes
Step five: Legal name change for child to a normal one.
Step six: enjoy your future of free games.

I imagine thats what bethesda have considered people doing. Especially considering them trying to use this to essentially contract you into them owning your childs name (IE illegal under slavery and human rights laws) theres nothing they can do to stop you.

Yea.
I'm wondering how long the Baby has to keep the name?

This might be the most retarded game marketing since all I want for xmas is a psp; just not quite as insulting.

Time to get kinging.

Still not worth it. Steam? Meh. Give me manuals and boxes anyday.

Besides, the current worth of that collection is around $4 - $5 grand and wont really go up in value since as new games are released the older ones are worth much less (especially ones you can't sell)

Someone will do this, then sell the key on EBAY! :P

November? So the girl in question should have gotten pregnant sometime in February or March? And then hold it in until Nov 10, then go to the hospital and have them induce labor, then hope that the kid doesn't come out too soon (or come in on Nov 11, and hope it doesn't take too long)? And then give her kid a name that's guaranteed to get him beat up throughout his education, as well as pretty much preclude him from getting laid? All to score some free video games?

I'm sorry, but if someone goes for this, it won't be awesome, it'll be disturbing...

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here