Schafer Explains Move From Brutal Legend to Sesame Street

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Schafer Explains Move From Brutal Legend to Sesame Street

Double Fine wasn't necessarily out to create a Sesame Street game, things just ended up that way.

The reveal of Double Fine's newest project, Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, was a big surprise. The studio isn't known for licensed titles, and I don't think anyone expected a Sesame Street game to land at its doorstep. In an interview with Gamasutra, Double Fine's Tim Schafer and the game's project lead Nathan Martz reveal how the collaboration occurred.

While developing Brutal Legend, Double Fine split into four teams to create prototypes for new game ideas. Schafer says Martz's involved "cute, furry little monsters, making music and having fun," a perfect fit for the Sesame Street license. Double Fine kept working on it over three-and-a-half years, and eventually added Kinect functionality.

When Warner Bros. announced that it had acquired the Sesame Street license for videogames, it was perfect timing, and Double Fine was able to hammer out a deal. As explained by Schafer and Martz, the Sesame Workshop and Double Fine make a great team due to the "secret" humor of Sesame Street. Schafer says: "You watch the videos of the [Sesame Street] shows, and they're really, really funny. They're satirical -- they don't just make bland shows for kids, they make them actually funny."

Double Fine wants parents and kids to play and enjoy Once Upon a Monster together, just like they would watch the show which has references and content designed for both. Martz calls the game a "force for good," also like the show, and hopes it'll prove that quality games don't all have to be about violent space marines. Schafer adds that it can "still be funny" too.

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster is planned for release in fall 2011.

Source: Gamasutra

This could be pretty bad ass...

You know what? Good for Double Fine. Good for them for looking at a licence and going "We can actually make an enjoyabe game for everyone." Good for them for being different.

More power to them. And good luck to them =)

I might actually buy this...

Not what i expected... I was kinda hopeing for brutal legend 2

Less Elmo, more Mr. Snuffleupagus and Slimey I say!
Hell, If this game was just a Big Bird ice skating sim, I'd probably still buy it.

Does this mean there will finally be an EC rated game that doesn't bore 3 year olds and adults alike? Seriously, have any of you guys ever played an EC rated game? They're usually the shovelware to end all shovelware.

Daemascus:

Schafer has said multiple times that he plans on shelving a sequel to create other games.

OT: Interesting.

This may sound creepy, but I wanna buy this game. Why? I dunno.

Daemascus:

Are we the only 2 sane people in the world?In fact I heard they cancelled making Brutal Legend 2

I kinda of want this...

ShaggyEdiddy214:

Daemascus:

Are we the only 2 sane people in the world?In fact I heard they cancelled making Brutal Legend 2

From what I heard, it wasn't their choice. EA didn't see a future in it so they pulled the plug. I want to see it too. not because I'm a metalhead, that's my brother, I loved the concept of being in an RTS where you aren't an omnipotent jackhat sipping coffee and sending soldiers to their doom. I hope Schafer will be able to bring some humor to this game.

Antidrall:

ShaggyEdiddy214:

Daemascus:

From what I heard, it wasn't their choice. EA didn't see a future in it so they pulled the plug. I want to see it too. not because I'm a metalhead, that's my brother, I loved the concept of being in an RTS where you aren't an omnipotent jackhat sipping coffee and sending soldiers to their doom. I hope Schafer will be able to bring some humor to this game.

So good!Its just EA's fault!So where should my tactical nuke go again

How could they not see a future? There was a cliff hanger with Ophelias Black Tear incident,Eddies parents,they could,ve made the metal fire beast a summonable creature!Brutal Legend could've been a hit!If Starcraft could do it Brutal Legend can do it 5x better!Two words. Missed oppurtunity.

AND ANOTHER THING.Speaking of Eddie's parents his mom was a witch.What if she had an army you ask?A NEW TEAM!

Intresting, but I'm sure Tim knows what he's doing better than we do.

I can't stop ROFLing about this game...

they should start doing a game with the Double Fine logo character...

Dude.

Super Sesame Street Fighter

Imagine the possibilities.

I used to watch Sesame St as a kid and if I had kids now I would probably consider getting them a game like this. A good studio should be diverse, and not rely on churning out the same old idea to survive (i.e. CoD, or FF)

-Zen-:
Dude.

Super Sesame Street Fighter

Imagine the possibilities.

haha indeed... clever title

I find it really interesting how positively this news has been taken. How many studios who've handled AAA titles could announce a Sesame Street game and be greeted with smiles? Proof of Double Fine's quirky brand.

Let's face it, Double Fine could make a great Sesame Street game. They could make a great anything.

Im dissapointed that it isn't Brutal Legend 2, I won't buy this, but I'm confident it will be a good game. Which in turn will make them money and allow them to make Brutal Legend 2, huzzah!

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!!
*Ahem* Yes, I will buy this game because Sesame Street is good.

You're watching this, and you're thinking, oh okay, you're teaching kids to count.

Then you get to, "count with me. One." And you realize it's a skit. Meta within meta. Clever beyond compare, certainly too clever for just some kid's show.

Seaseme Street is, and still is, a surprising breath of fresh air in kid's programming, and I'm sure Schafer and his team can capture the aimed-at-kids-but-taking-the-piss vibe more than expertly.

Adding to the numbers above - with Double Fine behind this, I'm definitely not against buying this.

Also,

Owyn_Merrilin:
Does this mean there will finally be an EC rated game that doesn't bore 3 year olds and adults alike? Seriously, have any of you guys ever played an EC rated game? They're usually the shovelware to end all shovelware.

a sympathetic "lol" to you.

As long as Sesame Street keeps making fun of Fox News i'm all for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-1j9T90-8

elvor0:
Im dissapointed that it isn't Brutal Legend 2, I won't buy this, but I'm confident it will be a good game. Which in turn will make them money and allow them to make Brutal Legend 2, huzzah!

Yeah cause doublefine is famous for contributing to the endless stream of sequels.
Don't hold your breath.

ShaggyEdiddy214:

Antidrall:

ShaggyEdiddy214:

How could they not see a future? There was a cliff hanger with Ophelias Black Tear incident,Eddies parents,they could,ve made the metal fire beast a summonable creature!Brutal Legend could've been a hit!If Starcraft could do it Brutal Legend can do it 5x better!Two words. Missed oppurtunity.

AND ANOTHER THING.Speaking of Eddie's parents his mom was a witch.What if she had an army you ask?A NEW TEAM!

First of all, *SPOILER WARNING* second,

There was no cliffhanger with Ophelia, she just cried a black tear to leave the ending ambivulent. The "metal fire beast" was Ormagoden, basically god. Starcraft has 12 times the popularity of Brutal Legend, it'd be lucky to be 1/4th as popular. Eddie's mother wasn't a witch, she was a demon, and both of his parents are long dead. Finally, if there's going to be any new team, it'd be Lionwhyte, Fleetus, or even a Nu metal one.

9_6:

elvor0:

Yeah cause doublefine is famous for contributing to the endless stream of sequels.
Don't hold your breath.

I'd just like to see a continuation of the story, or even a prequel with eddies father leading the original up rising, I know there isn't much chance, but I'd like to remain hopeful at the very least

So many people clamoring for a Brutal Legend sequel-- but not a Psychonauts sequel? I am disappointed in you all.

Anywho, I agree with the above that DoubleFine can pull off a really good Sesame Street game, because they are creative and awesome. I would honestly buy it, if I had the system.

huh...interesting

Antidrall:

ShaggyEdiddy214:

Antidrall:

There was no cliffhanger with Ophelia, she just cried a black tear to leave the ending ambivulent. The "metal fire beast" was Ormagoden, basically god. Starcraft has 12 times the popularity of Brutal Legend, it'd be lucky to be 1/4th as popular. Eddie's mother wasn't a witch, she was a demon, and both of his parents are long dead. Finally, if there's going to be any new team, it'd be Lionwhyte, Fleetus, or even a Nu metal one.

Even though Ormagoden was god dosent mean hes un-getable!*snorts
and is THAT why Ophelia cried kinda misleading
and Lionwhyte died halfway through
I geuss you were right about Starcraft but it was mostly just an example because I dont know any RTS's

Let him make any game he wants, I say... I just want Brutal Legend to get to the PC some day.

ShaggyEdiddy214:

Antidrall:

ShaggyEdiddy214:

Even though Ormagoden was god dosent mean hes un-getable!*snorts
and is THAT why Ophelia cried kinda misleading
and Lionwhyte died halfway through
I geuss you were right about Starcraft but it was mostly just an example because I dont know any RTS's

We never saw Lionwhyte's body after, nor did we see him get impaled, the view was obstructed by another piece of glass. and when you talk to an NPC after:

Eddie: "Good thing Lionwhye's dead, huh?
Razor Girl: "You SAW his body?"

implying that He could come back. Also, Ormagoden died. That's how Metal, water, earth and music was made. When Ormagoden got Eddie, that was just the result of the spell casted on his belt buckle. It wasn't really him, just a magic avatar.

I'm so excited to get this for my niece, this sounds like a freaking holo-deck for kids, I know she'll love it!

I loved Psychonaughts, but am I the only one who is a little afraid for Double Fine? I mean they basically went from a pure epicness, original IP that did not sell well (and I am also guilty of this, I only played because of the most epic Midweek madness of all time) to Jack Black's Jack Black game featuring Jack Black and now a licensed game. I really hope that DF will just get free rein one of these days.

I'd play this.

I honestly haven't played a Double Fine game yet that I didn't like.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here