Mortal Kombat Banned in Australia

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mortal Kombat Banned in Australia

Brace yourselves for a shock: Mortal Kombat has been refused classification in Australia.

That the spinning top of randomness that is the Australian videogame classification system has claimed the latest iteration of one of the oldest and most famous fighting games in videogame history is only surprising because of the fact that every other title in the Mortal Kombat franchise has been given the green light. But the 2011 reboot apparently crosses some line, somewhere, and thus finds itself out of the club.

"The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia," WBIE said in a statement. "We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers."

"WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience," it continued. "We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time."

"Reviewing all options" usually translates into "cutting it to ribbons" but WBIE's statement seems to rule out that possibility. Perhaps it's waiting for the SCAG meeting which will follow the SCAG meeting at which the issue of allowing mature-rated games in Australia won't be discussed? Anything is possible, I suppose - except buying Mortal Kombat from an Australian store.

Mortal Kombat comes out on April 19 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: IGN Australia

I speak for all Australian gamers when i say

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

EDIT: This is for all the people who are going to start saying shit about Australians banning everything with violence/being a nanny state etc

Since 1994 Less than two dozen games have been banned you know what, that means that less than 2 games a year on average are refused classification. Its not a nanny state which bans everything nor do many games have to be re-edited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Australia

It's was refused a classification because MK has, and always will be, the single most terrible fighting game on the planet.

The gore probably had something to do with it too...

All it will do is encourage piracy and take money away from Australian game retailers.

I feel it would be more newsworthy if you just announced which games didn't get banned there its pretty ridiculous, Australia seems to think no one that lives there could handle even the smallest amount of violence without having some sort of breakdown.

This is "moronic", dangerously balancing on the verge of "insane".

At least I can be certain that while different regimes fall and collapse, Australian government will always stay the same.

Or will it?

Just paint the blood grey and call it "sweat"... oh wait that's stupid.

Well at least this'll clear up some time for you Aussies to work on your tans at those lovely beaches I've heard so much about.

Damn, once again I fell sorry for Australian gamers.

But whats getting me is how every other MK game got the green light but not this one. That must mean this version is even more gory and brutal than ever. Oh now I'm really interested in this game.

RatRace123:

That would be hilarious.

Well clearly it's because of all the limb cut- oh no, wait, Dead Space 2 got in. Well maybe it's all the sexual impli- wait, Bayonetta did too. Maybe it's too over the to- Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem, nope. Hmm.

Well at least that minority of 14- gamers won't be turned into monsters by...whatever it is the OFLC is meant to be protecting us from.

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:

RatRace123:

That would be hilarious.

It would smell fucking terrible though...

LawlessSquirrel:
Well clearly it's because of all the limb cut- oh no, wait, Dead Space 2 got in. Well maybe it's all the sexual impli- wait, Bayonetta did too. Maybe it's too over the to- Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem, nope. Hmm.

Well at least that minority of 14- gamers won't be turned into monsters by...whatever it is the OFLC is meant to be protecting us from.

Your right to make decisions as an adult, I think.

Wow, I am not really surprised anymore. They ban anything that has SOME gore in it.

This is actually rather surprising news. I thought they had given refusing games these days. Bulletstorm was classified as 15+ for fuck's sake! It's hard to imagine the new Mortal Kombat somehow being more offensive than that. Gotta love the random enforcement.

NeedAUserName:
I feel it would be more newsworthy if you just announced which games didn't get banned there its pretty ridiculous, Australia seems to think no one that lives there could handle even the smallest amount of violence without having some sort of breakdown.

Because having only 1-2 games refused classification means OMG CENSORSHIP NANNY STATE? Germany has more games tamed down then Australia.

Well, that's another big middle finger to Australian gamers. Why can't someone just slap the stupid out of whoever decides these things?

Daystar Clarion:
It's was refused a classification because MK has, and always will be, the single most terrible fighting game on the planet.

The gore probably had something to do with it too...

Sir you are correct

Yes because we all know that censorship works so well when it comes to digital media and the internet.

HankMan:
Well at least this'll clear up some time for you Aussies to work on your tans at those lovely beaches I've heard so much about.

It's usually close between 35-40C (95-105F) everyday where I live which is pretty uncomfortable when you leave the water.

Double post, damn captcha.

Australian-bullshit keeps being bullshit. As people have pointed out: They will just pirate it instead.

I don't know exactly why, but this actually angers me.
Which is weird, since Australia is a long, long, loooong way from where i live. But still... i mean, it's a game. Yes, a very very violent one, but still.

Gah, I'm way overreacting.

Anyways, i feel for ya, Aussies.

Their rating system does one of two things:

- treats adults like 10-year-olds
- lets people below 18 play games that, in other countries, only people over 18 are advised to play

Somehow, I don't think either of those 2 outcomes is what they're aiming for.

Morons.

Zenode:

NeedAUserName:

Because having only 1-2 games refused classification means OMG CENSORSHIP NANNY STATE? Germany has more games tamed down then Australia.

It's less the number (although it's more than 1-2) and more the randomness of it.

And, like I said, the fact that things that should probably be given 18s are being passed for 15s with no cuts, simply because there is no higher rating.

Zenode:

NeedAUserName:

Alright mate, calm down. Just a joke about Australia's notoriously strict Classification Board.

NeedAUserName:

Given that one of the conditions of violent video games is that it reduces violent tendencies, they're actually helping to protect the citizens from all of the death beasts over there. It's nothing to do with censorship, and everything to do with saving lives.

So what... use proxy, buy digital.

They will just take out the fatalities, no big deal. MK without fatalities is just...a...errr...yea.

Damn you, Michael Atki-

Oh wait.

Damn you, person who I should blame!

That sucks. Sorry, Australian escapists... :(

Nautical Honors Society:
They will just take out the fatalities, no big deal. MK without fatalities is just...a...errr...yea.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

Aparently the Austalian council just had some Crack (Too much if 'ya ask me)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

Nautical Honors Society:

A stupid annoying dull button-masher, yeah, without violence MK hits the ground and breaks it's spine.

Too all the Aussies and visitors of Aust, please go visit your local GAME Store and sign the partition for a mature 18+ rating for video games.
Why we don't have one already fucking baffles me,
and the baffling needs to stop.
for more info visit
http://everyoneplays.org.au/

can't-think:
All it will do is encourage piracy and take money away from Australian game retailers.

Yep. This exactly.

I don't agree with the OP of it being "surprising" though. It's more surprising that they let the others in.

This is why I love the first amendment. Sorry Australia :(

It's not that the powers that be down here have decided to ban violent video games, it's just another example of Australian leadership's biggest flaw- no one is willing to make the decision. We're stuck in limbo on this issue, the original decision to not create an 18+ rating for games was an err on the side of caution a long time ago before this could be foreseen, now they're still erring on the side of caution. They're still discussing having a discussion, that public opinion paper has done so many rounds, thanks in part to Atkinson, nobody seems willing to make a call either way.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here