Halo: Reach Gets Defiant on March 15

Halo: Reach Gets Defiant on March 15

Beware the Covenant on the Ides of March.

It's been about three months since the release of the Noble Map Pack for the excellent Halo: Reach. This means that we're about due for another one - and right on schedule, here comes "Defiant."

The three new maps, Condemned, Unearthed and Highlands, are actually not created by Bungie itself but rather by Halo second-stringers Certain Affinity, the team responsible for the final map pack in Halo 2, as well as bonus maps for Call of Duty: World at War and Black Ops. So really, it isn't like the developers don't have experience with this sort of thing.

At least one of the maps - Unearthed - seems to be compatible with the popular "Firefight" survival mode. This should please Reach owners, since the previous Noble pack didn't have any new Firefight maps.

Defiant will be released on March 15th for 800 MS Points, or $10. Warm up your Plasma Pistol trigger finger, everyone.

(Major Nelson)

Does anybody play reach?

I've literally heard nothing about it since release.

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

Reach is where it's at. Way more fun than CoD.

Plasma Pistol? Pfft, are you kidding? Who uses those things?

LightspeedJack:

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

You make it sound like they're the only two games in the universe...

random_bars:

I do! Give me a plasma pistol over the magnum any day of the week.
I was actually pleasantly surprised at how beefed up the plasma pistol was for reach. It decimates grunts and isn't all that bad against elites. In multiplayer you can pull off a solid kill with it or take down a vehicle. Kinda sad how everyone looks at it like the worst gun ever.

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

It tends to be that way when you're deliberately looking the other way, or that's the only explanation I can figure out anyways. Otherwise it might be that the Halo fans around here are the only organized ones, that actually keep their discussion in their user group instead of on the forum.

OT; Well fuck, my wallet was just recovering from Dead Space 2, and now you give me even more stuff to buy... I mean, I probably won't even really play it, but I'll still end up fucking buying it. Damn I'm angry, but I don't even know what I'm angry at.

WrongSprite:

LightspeedJack:

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

As far as online shooters on the xbox these are the two main ones people play.

Cpu46:

random_bars:

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how beefed up the plasma pistol was for reach. It decimates grunts and isn't all that bad against elites. In multiplayer you can pull off a solid kill with it or take down a vehicle. Kinda sad how everyone looks at it like the worst gun ever.

Probably because it was so terrible in Halo 3. It could stop vehicles and pop shields, but the 'noob combo' got nerfed in Halo 3 compared to Halo 2 so people gradually stopped using the weapon altogether.

Now that the plasma pistol can actually kill someone, it's getting popular again.

FIREFIGHT!!!

I want I want I want!!!

I was beginning to lose hope I would ever get another firefight map!

Now, I feel giddy.

LightspeedJack:

WrongSprite:

LightspeedJack:

As far as online shooters on the xbox these are the two main ones people play.

At least until Gears of War 3.

Have you seen the backgrounds of the new maps! They are awesome. I mean , covenant ships glassing Reach while you fight. Wow.

Sweetness. The Noble maps were fantastic. Hopefully these are just as good, if not better.

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

Plenty of us do. We just don't say anything because when we do we get flamed to hell and back.

In fact, the Halo group is having a game tomorrow. At 10AM Eastern US time. Come and join the fun!

/plugtastic

Great, love me some Reach. Still haven't got around to getting Noble Map Pack though so need to pick up some MS Points soon.

Cpu46:

random_bars:

It's only bad in comparison to the other guns. I actually use it sometimes, it's great for taking down shields or vehicles, provided you have some other weapon in addition to the plasma pistol. I tend to use it in conjunction with a DMR or Magnum to get easier headshots.

random_bars:

People who charge them up around corners and punch you. God I hate that thing /bitterness.

The PP should just EMP veichles, as it is its overpowered.

Anyway I really wish I could get this, I am broke, XBL runs out on march and I want skyrim. The universe dosent want me to play this map.

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

Thats because mentioning Halo around these parts is likely to get you mugged by the internet.

liking the idea of a new fire fight map.

Hawkeye16:

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

Thats because mentioning Halo around these parts is likely to get you mugged by the internet.

Yeah one poblem I notice is people go on about "halo fanboys" but I dont see them here, and on other sites they get flamed for mentioning games, the funny thing is I see far more valve (especially HL) and bioware fanboys on other forums, halo ones are quite and are quiet outside of halo sites.

I dont even see that many CoD fans.

I'm not buying any DLC unless there's some SP involved.

this isnt my name:

Hawkeye16:

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

Yeah one poblem I notice is people go on about "halo fanboys" but I dont see them here, and on other sites they get flamed for mentioning games, the funny thing is I see far more valve (especially HL) and bioware fanboys on other forums, halo ones are quite and are quiet outside of halo sites.

Like I said, we keep to ourselves, lest we get flamed for DARING to play an FPS that isn't made by Valve.

Hawkeye16:

this isnt my name:

Hawkeye16:

Like I said, we keep to ourselves, lest we get flamed for DARING to play an FPS that isn't made by Valve.

Because any fps ade by someone other than vlave is generic, never understood why HL is spoken so highly, its no different to halo, ok gravity gun, so what ? What will HL pull off other gaes cant ? L4D had no story, and MP was ok for a week or two, nothing amazing, they sure as hell didnt give L4d a forge. Also I find it funny people say halo is ilked when L4D2 was announced less than a year later, and looks more like an expansion, halo is what 10 years old, with 5 (6 but bungiee didnt make wars) games thats not too bad at all, and bungie called it quits with halo.
I really dont understand the hate the game gets, or the fans becuase like I said they keep quoet, even irl halo fans arent like people say.

Beware the Covenant on the Ides of March.

Oh joy. First I have to 'watch out for knives on my birthday'. Now The covanent. Ah, who am I kidding? Ahm excited!

--------------------------------------------------------

this isnt my name:

Because any fps made by someone other than valve is generic, never understood why HL is spoken so highly, its no different to halo, ok gravity gun, so what? What will HL pull off other games cant ? L4D had no story, and MP was ok for a week or two, nothing amazing, they sure as hell didnt give L4d a forge. Also I find it funny people say halo is milked when L4D2 was announced less than a year later, and looks more like an expansion, halo is what 10 years old, with 5 (6 but bungie didnt make wars) games thats not too bad at all, and bungie called it quits with halo.
I really dont understand the hate the game gets, or the fans becuase like I said they keep quiet, even irl halo fans arent like people say.

Yup, I'm always getting hate for being a HALO fan. And often for being a CoD fan. Though I must say...

The two fangroups may be quiet when alone, but if posting on a Youtube vid together, it ain't pretty.

Wow, these maps actually look pretty damn well....pretty! I'm amazed how much effort these second-party guys put into this!

I'm really glad they brought back Never Forget. It's my favorite Halo 3 song. The maps look really good, the Gauss Hog is coming to multiplayer, and I really can't wait.

random_bars:

Back in Halo:CE it pwned everything.....

Hawkeye16:

WrongSprite:
Does anybody play reach?

The sad truth is that the Halo fanboys I know aren't that bad compared to...well I don't need to name names, do I?

If you mention Halo in an online forum, you will get flamed by people telling you that the gameplay is bland, that the story doesn't make sense, et cetera.

Cpu46:

random_bars:

Plus it can take down vehicles. Its like the grenade launcher. So so underrated.

OT: The only map of that I like is the one that looks like its not going to be a sniper campfest and the one that doesn't look like a shottie corner fest.

When I first saw Condemned, I thought the Space battles were going to be integrated into the multiplayer. Then it showed the real map. Now I'm sad.

ZeroAE:
Have you seen the backgrounds of the new maps! They are awesome. I mean , covenant ships glassing Reach while you fight. Wow.

True that. I must admit it looks pretty sweet and has renewed my interest in Reach again.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here