Burglar Busted for Posting Crime Scene Photos on Facebook

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Burglar Busted for Posting Crime Scene Photos on Facebook

A budding criminal mastermind was quickly apprehended by police after posting pictures of himself, mid-burglary, on his victim's Facebook page.

Most run-of-the-mill B&E guys aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree to begin with, but Rodney Knight of Washington D.C. really takes the cake. Back in December he broke into the home of Washington Post journalist Marc Fisher and stole items including two laptop computers and a new winter coat, along with about $400 in cash.

Nothing too unusual about that, but before he fled the scene he took a photo of himself wearing the coat and holding the cash while flashing a thumbs-up to the camera. And then for some reason he posted that picture on Fisher's son's Facebook page.

That's right. He took a picture of himself committing a felony and then gave it to his victim.

Needless to say, police were able to make an arrest fairly quickly and last week Knight pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary as well as carrying a gun without a license. What possessed him to post the picture on Facebook remains a mystery, although legal experts suspect that being a complete idiot was likely a contributing factor.

Source: MSNBC, via Neatorama

Humanity is getting smarter by the minute...I can feel it. Or as Einstein said.

"There are only two things that infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not quite sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

God just look at him.

He looks so gangsta.

If only *I* could be that gangsta... sigh...

wow, not sure what that guy's thought process was.

It is hard to believe how stupid this guy is. Its bad enough when they post stuff like this on their own facebook page but to do so on the victims? Thats almost unbelievable.

luckycharms8282:
wow, not sure what that guy's thought process was.

Don't discourage this type of thinking, it'll help us all in the long run.

Low and behold:
A new generation of criminals. Damn Inbreeding...

Well, fashionistas, you heard it here first; parkas are gangsta this year, just oozing with street cred! I can't wait to see the trendsetters in LA adopt this one!

As to why the guy posted this on Facebook, well, there are a few folk unclear on how Facebook isn't actually a private space... but that's no excuse for handing over a photograph of yourself committing a crime to the victim. *shakes head*

-- Steve

I wonder what the legal terms are for "being a complete idiot" ...

I can't seem to grasp what was going through his head, did he think this was a good idea or something?

I just don't understand, could someone enlighten me?

Andy Chalk:
A budding criminal mastermind

That part cracked me up, it really did.

OT: I don't really know what to say tbh, maybe a Homer do'h and something along the lines of: The hell was he thinking? Even if he had used a fake name on his facebook, the victim could recognize him and I do think they could track his IP or most used IP to find his location.

WolfEdge:
God just look at him.

He looks so gangsta.

I do think the correct term for this kind of "gangsta" is wanksta

WolfEdge:
God just look at him.

He looks so gangsta.

Well if you wanna be that gangsta, let your I.Q. drop twenty points, go break into a house, post a picture of the burglary on facebook and hold the money up while puckering your lips.

I read the title and thought this could NOT be real... Seriously...

shirin238:

Probably something like "Perpetual Incontinence"

Poor bastard probably thought he was being clever by leaving his victim a picture of him with the stolen stuff. Like as a way of really leaving the guy with a "Fuck you working man." or something along those lines.

Still, this is pretty facepalm worthy. I imagine the interrogation went like this.

Robber: "You guys ain't got nuthin on me!"

*cops pull up facebook and point to picture description of "I just robbed yo ass!"*

Robber: *coughs* I'd like to plead guilty now please.

*burst out laughing* Oh god what a dumbass.

Can you imagine him explaining this to fellow inmates?

Police use: Brutality

Rodney Knight is evolving

Rodney Knight evolved into Rodney King

Sorry this got stuck in my head when i read his name.

I can only handle so much fail at once, and I'm near maximum capacity

And my theory about the downfall of humanity is complete.

Mister Benoit:
I can't seem to grasp what was going through his head, did he think this was a good idea or something?

I just don't understand, could someone enlighten me?

Same reason for t-bagging. Bragging rights. Just a little "hehe, I just robbed yo ass, now here's a pic of me so I can rub it in your face"

OT: Yeah... that about summed up all my thoughts. this is just... this is why I believe we need a license to have people breathe.

Just because it wasn't used in the story itself.

KeyMaster45:

shirin238:

Poor bastard probably thought he was being clever by leaving his victim a picture of him with the stolen stuff. Like as a way of really leaving the guy with a "Fuck you working man." or something along those lines.

Still, this is pretty facepalm worthy. I imagine the interrogation went like this.

*cops pull up facebook and point to picture description of "I just robbed yo ass!"*

I thought incontinence had something to do with bowl movements or the urinal tract xD
I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I opened a biology book

emeraldrafael:
OT: Yeah... that about summed up all my thoughts. this is just... this is why I believe we need a license to have people breathe.

That's not necessary. You see, it's physically impossible for people to get dumber than this, because if they do, they get arrested even more quickly than this guy.

shirin238:

KeyMaster45:

shirin238:

I thought incontinence had something to do with bowl movements or the urinal tract xD

Yeah... "perpetual incontinence" = "never stop urinating". He means "perpetual incompetence".

And I thought merely taking a picture/ video of oneself perpetrating a crime was stupid enough. But as usual, technology has proved that people can be even stupider than I once suspected.

Caliostro:
What the fuck...? I mean... What? I can even understand those absurd lapses of better judgement that lead these kind of mental defective into keeping, or even publishing, rather incriminating evidence... But why in the living fuck would you post that on the facebook page of the person you just robbed? You might as well just mail it to the fucking police directly with a hand written and signed confession.

It's not like he was caught because he didn't cover his tracks... He actually placed his own tracks, polished and installed neon lights on them so they couldn't be missed.

How is he even capable of breathing?

Daemascus:
It is hard to beleve how stupid this guy is. Its bad enough when they post stuff like this on their facebook page but the victems? Thats almost unbelevable.

I just want to point out how ironic it is that your post is a grammatical train wreck. It's just... Hysterical.

Your life must be pretty unfulfilling if you find that hysterical. Which should also have a lower case h due to it being after a pause, not a full stop...hysterical.

OT: Yeah...I'm almost glad about this, it's like a self regulating hand yourself in service.

Okay, there's idiocy. and then there's this.

Fr]anc[is:
[snip]

Damn beaten to it. But honestly, a thousand facepalms wouldn't come close to covering the amount of fail possessed by this incredibly thick thief.

Say what? How dumb can you be?

I can't comprehend the idoicy invovled in this. Posting a picture of the stuff you just took on the victims Facebook?!

WTF?!

Fr]anc[is:

I second this. How IDIOTIC must you be!?

lacktheknack:

shirin238:

KeyMaster45:

Yeah... "perpetual incontinence" = "never stop urinating". He means "perpetual incompetence".

That makes a lot more sense, thank you.
And that does make for an awesome legal discussion.

Andy Chalk:
legal experts suspect that being a complete idiot was likely a contributing factor.

This is easily the best part of the article, and has got to be true

shirin238:

KeyMaster45:

shirin238:

Meh, it was a shot in the dark. I was to lazy to pull up webster's online. Either way the inability to keep stupid from leaking out of one's mind may well fall under the definition.

When I saw the article's title, I thought it meant he posted the pics on *his own* Facebook page and was caught when someone by chance was visiting his page and recognised the house.
And I thought the burglar was being vain, reckless and idiotic.

But really? The *victim's* Facebook?!

Death penalty?
Call it euthanasia.
Make the world a better place one dead dumbass at a time.

Hahaha. Nice joke guys! No one's that dumb!

Wait a minute... this guy is.
How dumb can people get? Honestly...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook